Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

That's weird. Edwin Watts, 5 minute phone call of who to ship it to. That part was seamless. The wait was unbearable haha. Though those Chinese ones seem to do just the job and there's little turnaround and you probably got more than 1 for the cost.

Yup and I think I still have 1 or 2 laying around.
I would have no problem sending and waiting. The wait would kill me because I am impatient. But if I get to the finish line with the same result I'd be ok.

Yup and I think I still have 1 or 2 laying around.
I would have no problem sending and waiting. The wait would kill me because I am impatient. But if I get to the finish line with the same result I'd be ok.

Good news if they do it though is if they screw up, it's all on them. Kind of a big deal if you're sending away an expensive shaft. Then again, I'm impatient like you are and don't want to wait haha.

Good news if they do it though is if they screw up, it's all on them. Kind of a big deal if you're sending away an expensive shaft. Then again, I'm impatient like you are and don't want to wait haha.

yeah and that's where the quality control and warranty issues comes in to play on their end. Which is why I understand them keeping it under lock and key, but I think it hurts the consumer.

I really hope Nike found an adapter they like and make it available for this one. If not, I won't touch this one. Were I searching for an adjustable driver, adapter availability would be an end-all-be-all for me. So I'd probably look Taylormade, Callaway, Titleist, or Cobra. I hope Cleveland makes their adapters available too.

yeah and that's where the quality control and warranty issues comes in to play on their end. Which is why I understand them keeping it under lock and key, but I think it hurts the consumer.

It's horrid for the consumer. It's really simple to get a TM or Callaway tip installed and they're go to clubs for tinkerers. Nike's missing the boat on that one.

Not trying to step on toes with this, but here is a write up I just finish.

Nike VR_S Covert Driver
Golf Galaxy – Appleton, WI 1-15-2013
On Indoor Simulator and ProLaunchZ Monitor

I hit the Nike VR_S Covert and VR_S Covert Tour Driver at my local Golf Galaxy. I came away with some strong first impressions. I will do my best to share them here. I hit maybe 50-75 balls in the store, I could step away.

Appearance:
The cavity is not subtle. Do not have any ideas that it will be. The head is a very vibrant red, not distracting by any means, but it definitely stands out. The swoosh on the crown is so well hidden behind the hosel, you have to put forth effort to find it. The standard driver has a chrome face, the tour is black. The standard VR_S Covert is definitely a 460cc head, the tour is around 430cc (The specs are not available on Nike Golf’s website). The tour head looks tremendously smaller at address. There is nothing extraordinary about the shape. It’s not pear shaped, not pointy, or distracting in fact the shape is very similar to other shapes available.

Sound/Feel:
The club feels much more head heavy than my current driver, Adams Fast 12. Not a bad thing, it is definitely easy to feel where the head is throughout the swing. The sound is a brighter high pitched sound. Not hollow by any means. This driver does not have that “tin can” sound that other drivers, Nike specifically, has suffered from in the past. The ball does not melt into the face like last year’s VR_S. That maybe the only disappointing aspect for me with the VR_S Covert, compared to other drivers on the market. The cavity stands out at this point. The entire face feels the same. Off of the toe, hosel or center head all feel the same at contact. The sound provides the feedback. High on the face, louder tone, while low has a much higher sound. There is feedback, but it isn’t tactile it is almost completely audible.

Performance:
I left completely wowed by the results I saw on the flight simulator. Almost every ball had a very straight and consistent flight. I lined up a few shots off of the toe and found the flight was a slight push with a little bit of distance loss. In fact, the store manager watched me hit a few balls regularly and then saw me exaggeratedly line up off of the toe. After the first swing from the toe, walked away and said, “I’ll grab you the headcover.” Off of the heal, the flight was much lower with more distance loss. I have a feeling that the added weight from the hosel plays a part in that. I too the tour and standard and hit from 9.5*neutral. I saw some lower launch angel numbers that I would like, so I raised the loft to 10.5 and opened the face. I hit the Kuro Kage Black in the Tour only, the store and a Matrix Black Tie and a Fujikura Fuel available as well. I put those both into the standard head but did not hit the stock Kura Kage Silver. All shafts were hit in a stiff flex.

Performance and Launch Conditions:
I hit on the ProLaunchZ and found that my launch angles were all below 11* with both heads and all shafts, which is lower than I would normally like. I could have increased the loft or found a little softer shaft, but I did not. I recently hit a Titleist 913d2, I had swing speeds between 98 and 100 mph. I was seeing consistently higher swing speeds with the VR_S Covert. Every swing was above 100 mph and topped out about 105 mph. I have a feeling that the heavier head might have had something to do with those higher swing speeds. The carry and overall distance suffered from the lack of launch angle. I would have to increase the launch to get a better read on the distance. The ball was launch very straight and consistent though. That was fantastic.

I realized there was another customer behind me waiting to use the simulator, I took once last swing. The ball tracked right down the target line. It was a good way for me to end my first run through with the club.

Conclusion:
The aesthetics, the red crown, the swoosh on the crown and the large cavity, may not suit everybody. But given the very forgiving construction and design, available shaft option, variable loft, and face angle setting provide a lot of fitting options for all golfers, especially amateurs who need all the help they can get.

Good info Blu. Sounds like a really good offering. I'd like to hit it.

That's solid Blu. I might have to hit this before the demo day.

I really enjoyed this writeup. You have me wanting to hit this. Can you comment on the characteristics of the Kuro Kage and the Fuel?

I enjoyed that write up blugold. You touched on some things that I was looking for, sound, weight, hitting off heel/toe

I really enjoyed this writeup. You have me wanting to hit this. Can you comment on the characteristics of the Kuro Kage and the Fuel?

The Kuro Kage was much easier for me to load. It had a little higher flight as well. I only tried that in the tour head, but I did not but the Kuro Kage Silver into the standard. I never really had a chance to let them go head to head.

Nice writeup Blu!

nice write up
sounds like a solid offering from Nike

The Kuro Kage was much easier for me to load. It had a little higher flight as well. I only tried that in the tour head, but I did not but the Kuro Kage Silver into the standard. I never really had a chance to let them go head to head.

I wonder if the silver can be ordered in the standard model for free

That is one solid writeup Blu.

Nikes website is pretty lacking in terms of customization. In fact, I can't find anything

I haven't read the whole thread, but are these real-deal shafts or made-for?

I haven't read the whole thread, but are these real-deal shafts or made-for?

I have read they are real deal, but if I had to guess real deal in the tour and made for in the performance model

I have read they are real deal, but if I had to guess real deal in the tour and made for in the performance model

I'm pretty sure this is the case. I would guess that the Black Tie and Fuel I hit were both real deal.

Thats odd, seems that Nikes website says Kuro Kage Black 50 in the standard head

Good chance that they are more right Than I am.

I couldn't. pull up the specs page from my.

Good chance that they are more right Than I am.

I couldn't. pull up the specs page from my.

Every site I have read (golf.com etc) say its Kuro Kage 50 in standard and Kuro Kage 60 in tour. I am so confused haha

Every site I have read (golf.com etc) say its Kuro Kage 50 in standard and Kuro Kage 60 in tour. I am so confused haha

Nope. They're right. Kage Black 50 in standard. Kage Silver 60 in tour

Back