Odyssey O-Works Putters Review Thread

Will they be adding any new head shapes to this line?

Photos in the home page article show, in addition, a 1W, 2, 7, 9 and another mid-mallet and two ball shape whose designations escape me. If they made the 1W with a flow neck I would be $230 poorer right now. I would imagine the rest of the shapes would get this insert eventually.

c33df9b8496856b6be4b6e0b6039db7e.jpg
ca86c3e9a4b3a99e573feb3f2a590d8b.jpg
e2d6ed0c6fc9dd21715a8720d2e82042.jpg
60d831b707c6b035cfd9851c9dc1f9e7.jpg

Full review is being finalized - some pics to tide you over. I'll update this thread with my full review in a few. Review is up on the next page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll work on my review on my flight but here is a pic of the putter that helped secure 2 points against the Callaway team that was foolish enough to give them to us:

922f475eb6b7e96dce17b39bf720821d.jpg

Quite a bit going on with these. Some Versa tech, plenty of alignment aids, new insert and some classic Odyssey shapes.

I am really intrigued by the Microhinge insert tech and I like the Tank features with the weights and the counterbalance coming back. Some nice head designs as usual too.

The paint looks a bit cheap to me and the edges between white and black aren't so sharp. Not a big deal if the price point is in line IMO.

cool story, definitely intriguing. i can't say i'm too excited about the look at address. pretty busy, but i'm sure i could get used to it. i think the biggest thing that would keep me from trying it is that it seems like the grip needs to be of a certain design to allow the counterbalance to work. i don't care for the feel of superstroke grips, and would really only be interested in the tour snsr grip. so i wonder how much the intended properties of the putter would be lost by switching away from a counterbalance grip.

These will be interesting to try. As others have stated, I can't to hear what the Grandaddy guys have to say!!!

cool story, definitely intriguing. i can't say i'm too excited about the look at address. pretty busy, but i'm sure i could get used to it. i think the biggest thing that would keep me from trying it is that it seems like the grip needs to be of a certain design to allow the counterbalance to work. i don't care for the feel of superstroke grips, and would really only be interested in the tour snsr grip. so i wonder how much the intended properties of the putter would be lost by switching away from a counterbalance grip.

I could be wrong on this but I believe Canadan got one without the counterbalance and a different so he may be able to comment on that portion.

I asked about it and they said it would be no problem you would just lose the counter balance effect. Which depending on the individual may be an option for some. To me where this putter really shines is the insert. The putter itself is not a traditional package in terms of color and look but it was pretty easy to adjust to that portion of it l.

I love this putter. The microhinge technology in the insert is a thing of beauty. I have never had a putter get a ball rolling so quickly. For me, it just gave me so much confidence that my ball was going to be on the right line at the right speed. I almost had trouble putting the right line at #TheGrandaddy. I was so used to compensating for a jumpy, skippy putter that it threw me off to feel and see what instaroll looks like.

The insert looks really intriguing. Is there a list of the shapes that are going to be offered and are they all tank models.

It's hard to explain what the microhinge technology feels like. It's almost like jailbreak for putters. Not adding speed though, just providing optimal roll.

I can see an O-Works in my future. I wish the Fang wasn't done with a plumbers neck. Thankfully, the R-Line fits my eye and will be my target should I convince myself another putter is needed.

Will these putters be offered with regular (non-counter balanced) grips?

One of these putters will definitely be in my bag this year. They didn't have any options read for lefty but I did roll this a bunch righty and it is by far the best feeling putter I've used. The feeling off the face is "different" almost like a spring feeling yet it feels soft. I just need to figure out which head I want, but I think the #7 will be on order once these are available.

Not to take away from the other equipment but these putters and the driver were the two items of equipment that really blew me away. I cannot wait to get this thing in my bag!

Intrigued... alot.

1W, 7 and 2 ball all intrigue me.

I could be wrong on this but I believe Canadan got one without the counterbalance and a different so he may be able to comment on that portion.

You are correct. I've got the lighter SNSR Pistol on it. It definitely has a heavy profile to it with that setup, but that's because I am coming from a 60 gram grip, so I am used to a majority of the weight being in the head.

It's well balanced between my time with it at ECPC with the stock grip, and my time on the Hideaway with the SNSR.

I asked about it and they said it would be no problem you would just lose the counter balance effect. Which depending on the individual may be an option for some. To me where this putter really shines is the insert. The putter itself is not a traditional package in terms of color and look but it was pretty easy to adjust to that portion of it l.

without the cb grip, wouldn't the head and shaft weighting make for a very different feel? i'll be interested to hear canadan's thoughts. thanks!

The 1w and especially the #2 really intrigue me. Looking down on the toplineof the #2 it seems really busy. I was hoping they would stay around $200 but if the technology works it will be worth it.

These look packed with technology, I could definitely see myself in the V-line Fang CH. Can you guys comment on the sound of the new insert? Is it soft like the white hot or a little more click like the metal-x?

The 1w and especially the #2 really intrigue me. Looking down on the toplineof the #2 it seems really busy. I was hoping they would stay around $200 but if the technology works it will be worth it.

Looks like $229.

Here's a collection of thoughts over the course of a handful of rounds.

First, I wasn't overly excited about the colour scheme early on. I never got on with the Versa profile personally, typically leaning more towards something subtle with a sight dot or alignment line being the biggest visual distraction on the face. With all this in mind, after rolling it for three straight rounds I got very comfortable with the profile. They have extended the white finish into the alignment line on the number 1 perfectly so you can easily match it up to the line on your ball, making sure the head is properly set up to the hole. Additionally, the subtle red "T" that is created from the line along the backside of the top and the line on the flange is a secondary framing element that worked well. As it turns out, it all makes perfect sense, and takes less than a practice session to get comfortable with visually.

The insert is likely what will stand out most with the O Works putter. It is a very subtle and somewhat muted contact sound/sensation, probably even more so than some of the white hot inserts that everyone knows so well. The microhinges are intriguing both in texture to the fingers, and visually to the eyes. What is produced on the ball, especially after isolating the most practical stroke you can make with the O Works, is end over end roll that is true and on line with the intended target.

I went out to California a bit concerned with the different grass types and the impact it would have on my putting. At home in my area I think putting is one of my biggest assets, however traveling to different grass types usually meets me with some struggles. With the O Works in hand at ECPC, I backed up to about ten feet while chatting with Tony Toulon, and proceeded to drain six in a row like it was nothing..... We're talking like... head over to the local golf store and putt into one of their grooved lines automatic. I grabbed the 2-ball and had notably less success (with some mild encouragement from JB to stop even trying and go back to the #1 haha), and spent the next 10 minutes or so discussing the tech, and continuing to make putts.

This confidence continued with me to my first 27 holes with the O Works, where I was burning edges and making putts early. My biggest putt probably came on the 18th hole of our morning round, from about 10-12 feet breaking at least a couple cups from right to left. With a gallery collected, I stepped up and put the ball on the line I wanted, and it never left the line. Dead into the heart, steal a point, look at the putter with a smile, and pump the fist. I would continue to make some incredible putts, watching the ball roll true with all kinds of confidence, and I am not sure I would have enjoyed that kind of success without the microhinge profile on the Odyssey. It makes a big difference.

Looking forward to the thoughts of the rest of my team, who also saw some great success with it.

These look packed with technology, I could definitely see myself in the V-line Fang CH. Can you guys comment on the sound of the new insert? Is it soft like the white hot or a little more click like the metal-x?

Very soft, very toned down. There's nothing clicky about it at all. If you wanted to hit that sound with a metal X, you'd probably need to put a pillow in front of the face haha

Am I reading it correctly that these are all counter balanced? How heavy are the weights and are they offering the usual weight kit?

Those grips are just the SuperStroke Pistol GT series...that looks like the GT Tour. I have the GT 1.0 on all of my putters. The stock weight at the top of the grip is a 50 gram weight. Assuming these putters come with the rest of what comes in the normal grip there would be a hex key and a cap where you could just take the weight out and put the cap there instead. Super simple adjustment.

I am really intrigued with this new line-up. Unfortunately, I just ordered a new Odyssey putter Friday and it isn't even here yet. I'm already disappointed in it. HaHa. Looks like I might have to trade in-trade up before I even unwrap it.

O-Works 2Ball.

One of the most recognizably iconic putter designs in golf. The 2Ball. Everyone has seen it, most have rolled a version of it at some point. Odyssey has released the 2 Ball with updated face technology. With a weight in the rear for added stability, this putter just wants to keep your golf ball on your chosen line. And with the most visible alignment aid in golf, it does just that.
While everyone’s eye is drawn to the 2 ball alignment aid, the face and feel is what sets this putter apart, at least for this tester.
After rolling putts in my basement as Grandaddy prep, I had no idea what putter I was going to be fit into at the ECPC. I had no idea what was going to be available for us or what Callaway/Odyssey wanted us to roll. Tony Toulon, son of putter legend Sean Toulon, was my fitter, and explained what he looked for in a putter fitting. He explained, “The most important thing in my opinion is consistency.” He continued, “is your stroke repeatable, and do you return the putter face to square (or close to it) at impact.” After rolling about 20 putts on the fastest indoor putting green in history, Tony said he liked the way I rolled the O Works 2-Ball. He said my consistency with the putter face was drastically improved with this model over the other models I rolled.
We then went outside and he had me roll some longer putts to get a feel for my distance control with this model to finalize his decision. After draining a 20 footer and lipping out 3 others from various spots on the putting green, he was sold, and I was too.
The stability of the putter during stroke and through impact is what I think sets this putter apart, at least for this golfer. I was able to feel the putter head throughout the stroke and keep a consistent tempo and rhythm. This lead to increased confidence as you can see here in this clip from The Grandaddy hahaha

The feel and sound are a solid combination, as the sound FITS the putter. It isn’t too high pitched, nor is it too muted. Quite simply, it is solid and it fits. Distance control to me was very solid and reflected the stroke that I put on the putt. If I got overly handsy and tried to do too much, the putt would go past the hole by quite a bit. This is not a bad thing. With some putters that are a bit softer, I know I have a tendency to putt the ball too hard, which ends up messing with my distance control in the long run. There was no such issue or break-in period with this putter. The distance and firmness that I put into the putt, were reflected in the result. This to me is the most important aspect of this putter aside from the awesome looks: it allows for repeatable distance and lines. With both of those things taken care of, the only thing left to do is make a solid read and drain it.
d4f07f97d22f92f0a69c7e7c465ef45a.jpg
15d35598dce8c7c8c82872ab36c3eaab.jpg
c9db199af4f3dbf47f18c6dbddaab44d.jpg

Last edited:
Those grips are just the SuperStroke Pistol GT series...that looks like the GT Tour. I have the GT 1.0 on all of my putters. The stock weight at the top of the grip is a 50 gram weight. Assuming these putters come with the rest of what comes in the normal grip there would be a hex key and a cap where you could just take the weight out and put the cap there instead. Super simple adjustment.

I know about counter balanced grips, I have them in my putters. I'm asking if the entire line is counter balanced.

Back