Off Course: Equipment Release Season

That was where my brain was going. First off I am a Bryson apologist I like the guy. But, I think he would be a total headache as a staffer.. If I was a company, you have to think really hard about all the baggage he comes with. On the surface it seems like a no brainer. But then there is the "my driver sucks" thing.. And the crazy amount of time and resources you know he is going to demand as a single staffer..
Exactly. The driver sucks thing was bad, but it goes away with most guys. Bryson isn't covered by the media like most guys however. I mean think of the **** some golfers have pulled and with in a day its gone. Bryson its never going to be like that. Signing him you are going into it knowing that that is going to take place (the coverage).

Now the flip side of that is something rarely talked about with sponsorships and that is cost of activation. If you sign say Dustin Johnson. Top player. Hits it far. Has plenty of eyeballs on TV. Yet you still have to spend money to "activate" that visibility through commercials, etc. With Bryson (and maybe Tiger/Phil), the cost of activation is zero. They either have all eyeballs all of the time, or they activate it themselves at zero cost. So there is a bit more to it that is almost always left out in the discussion.

I just got to the part where you are talking Bryson and contract.. I feel like you are predicting a future of an independent Bryson.... That would be nuts..
It would be interesting to see what a company like Edel would do if Bryson goes back to being independent on clubs. They've definitely got the capability (I suppose all companies do), but also the possible benefit of kickstarting what seems to be a growing trend of golfers pursuing one length.

It would be interesting to see what a company like Edel would do if Bryson goes back to being independent on clubs. They've definitely got the capability (I suppose all companies do), but also the possible benefit of kickstarting what seems to be a growing trend of golfers pursuing one length.

Edel kinda got burned by Bryson when he turned pro. Do you think the would take him back? I know they are all in on the one length mantra but is there bad blood still?

Edel kinda got burned by Bryson when he turned pro. Do you think the would take him back? I know they are all in on the one length mantra but is there bad blood still?
money is money, at the end of the day.

There is a bit more to that story honestly, but they are a VERY different company than they were back then. Im not sure they would sponsor a player at that level, but work with him? Possibly.

There is a bit more to that story honestly, but they are a VERY different company than they were back then. Im not sure they would sponsor a player at that level, but work with him? Possibly.

That does not surprise me. There always is.

Anyway, curios with your contacts with Budget golf and other retailers. From a retail perspective have they talked to you at all about what they are excited to get on the shelves? The obvious answer is all of it. But have anything specific been brought up? Maybe even a segment of clubs?

That was my thought - I don't see them launching a big offer or anything, but, I could see them being one company willing to at least entertain making OL for him based on track record. Seems to make enough sense.

That was my thought - I don't see them launching a big offer or anything, but, I could see them being one company willing to at least entertain making OL for him based on track record. Seems to make enough sense.

I could see that. The only barrier is it does not appear that Bryson does anything pro bono, if he is going to be gaming something, I feel like he is going to want to be paid in addition to winnings for playing those clubs.

I am sitting here trying to think who outside of cobra that has a complete line of clubs would be a good fit.. I am not really seeing a match..

I could see that. The only barrier is it does not appear that Bryson does anything pro bono, if he is going to be gaming something, I feel like he is going to want to be paid in addition to winnings for playing those clubs.

I am sitting here trying to think who outside of cobra that has a complete line of clubs would be a good fit.. I am not really seeing a match..
Is he sponsored by Sik or Artisan?

Can he be that picky? How many companies are going to tolerate him like Cobra has?

How many companies are going to isolate and build out OL for him, and deal with all his tiny silly tweaks?

That does not surprise me. There always is.

Anyway, curios with your contacts with Budget golf and other retailers. From a retail perspective have they talked to you at all about what they are excited to get on the shelves? The obvious answer is all of it. But have anything specific been brought up? Maybe even a segment of clubs?
I have spoken to Wall big retailers other than Dicks this week.
They are more excited than anything about having inventory. One person gave some insight. This is copy and paste from text. This was part of a lengthy conversation.

"Stealth will get people in the store, but not sure it wins the bay. Pre-sell will be huge though. Biggest thing for us is having stock, eco much is sold out and this will help, plus markdowns on some existing. Not a fan of TM and Ping coming up launching a product in form, but not available till Masters week or later, but get it. Rogue fairway, Stealth driver and Cobra should move well. Mizuno irons are outpacing their previous years too"

I have spoken to Wall big retailers other than Dicks this week.
They are more excited than anything about having inventory. One person gave some insight. This is copy and paste from text. This was part of a lengthy conversation.

"Stealth will get people in the store, but not sure it wins the bay. Pre-sell will be huge though. Biggest thing for us is having stock, eco much is sold out and this will help, plus markdowns on some existing. Not a fan of TM and Ping coming up launching a product in form, but not available till Masters week or later, but get it. Rogue fairway, Stealth driver and Cobra should move well. Mizuno irons are outpacing their previous years too"

Nice info.. Kinda confused about the bold. Is he saying there are already huge delays for these two OEMs? If so that sucks..

Nice info.. Kinda confused about the bold. Is he saying there are already huge delays for these two OEMs? If so that sucks..
I looked into our teams acct at the TM custom orders, drivers are 11 weeks out right now for us.

Great show as usual. Loved the comparison of Taylormade red face to and old oven. 😂😂.
Looking forward to the release of JB’s new chosen driver

No sir. Read the article @Jman put out. The irons aren't on slate to come out till April.

No sir. Read the article @Jman put out. The irons aren't on slate to come out till April.
Its a really interesting decision that confused me as to why they would release info now, rather than sit on it and have another way to generate buzz in a few weeks.

ohhh..... I didnt catch that... Thats dumb...

I looked into our teams acct at the TM custom orders, drivers are 11 weeks out right now for us.

Gross. I mentioned it in the chrome soft thread. I heard almost 6 months ago they had completely shut off production of 2020/21 balls so they could ramp production of the 2022 product and not miss launch windows. I think that was brilliant.. We live in a world of delays. But this was an issue for TM previous to the covid world. Seems like a slight lack of planning. You have on the surface looks wise, maybe the hottest item of the release season. As JB said, who knows if it wins the launch monitor battle. You got to deliver it man.. you can't win if you fault and don't have products to compete..

Having done plenty of fittings, you can when the fit battle but lose the purchase war due to delivery windows. Customers will say "well, I will settle for 5% less performance and get it two weeks, rather than wait for the perfect fit".

11 weeks already? Man better order stuff now if you want to use it this season

Silly meetings are stopping me from listening to this. Will get to it soon.

11 weeks already? Man better order stuff now if you want to use it this season
My kids have a better solution than that.

Going to fire this up after this work meeting!

@JB & @Canadan do you think free agency is even a possibility for Bryson with the kind of attention he needs from the R&D department? Is a company going to produce 5-10 different driver heads on the hope he plays it?

I think there is 1-2 players that would be able to have that be possible and they are 1 & 2 in the PIP standings.

@JB & @Canadan do you think free agency is even a possibility for Bryson with the kind of attention he needs from the R&D department? Is a company going to produce 5-10 different driver heads on the hope he plays it?

I think there is 1-2 players that would be able to have that be possible and they are 1 & 2 in the PIP standings.
Free agency meaning person without contract? Sure.
Will companies come banging down his door? I dont think that happens too much anymore. Guys are pretty particular with what they want and test lots of gear.
I know with Jon Rahm, he tested everything and chose based on that and spoke immediately about the golf ball.

There are players where money will be thrown around at extreme levels (see guys like Rory, Tiger, etc), but with Bryson's unique equipment, that would be tougher.

Back