Official 2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of chatter on a basketball forum I belong to about how a shortened season really caters to El Heat.

Very true. Also who now in the NBA is the most desperate for a ring with Lebron getting one now.
My first thought turns to Steve Nash but he's gotten old and maybe past his prime. I think the pressure could start to go up on Blake Griffin

Very true. Also who now in the NBA is the most desperate for a ring with Lebron getting one now.
My first thought turns to Steve Nash but he's gotten old and maybe past his prime. I think the pressure could start to go up on Blake Griffin

Good point. The Clippers kind of underachieved, especially after landing CP3.

Too young.
Only the cream of the crop get that label and he is just not there yet.

I also liked the shorter season. I would love to see another one. It definitely favors the younger teams I think.

Absolutely. And add to that less playoff teams and shorter early playoff series. However the owners will never go for that unfortunately.

I agree with this. Do away with divisions, have 2 conferences, and take the best 4 teams from each. Do best of 5 in the conference semis (new first round). Sometimes less is more. Seems like with some of these teams (Boston comes to mind) the playoffs become more of how many games can the veterans play before they tire out than it is to determine the best team.

Also agree that baseball could also shorten the regular season by 20 games and no one (except the owners) would know the difference...but thats a different thread.

Speaking of someone getting owned, watch Mark Cuban's takedown of Skip Bayless on First Take from this morning:

[video=youtube;hv2jqFd2-qI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI&feature=player_embedded[/video]

No way he just got into the league. No one in the NBA had that pressure to win like LBJ did but in my opinion it was self imposed. This question is better served to the broad world of sports in general. In my opinion now Tony Romo has the most pressure to win and validate his career. Now Ive done it, the NFL and NBA in the same thread. DOH!

I wonder how well Miami would have played if they had a coach with gravitas?

Speaking of someone getting owned, watch Mark Cuban's takedown of Skip Bayless on First Take from this morning:

This was awesome. Skip Bayless is funny.

I think CP3 or Dwight Howard could use a ring if we're talking about players who need one.

Good point. The Clippers kind of underachieved, especially after landing CP3.

Too young.
Only the cream of the crop get that label and he is just not there yet.

So could I argue that there is pressure on KD to get back to the finals? Even at his age?

No way he just got into the league. No one in the NBA had that pressure to win like LBJ did but in my opinion it was self imposed. This question is better served to the broad world of sports in general. In my opinion now Tony Romo has the most pressure to win and validate his career. Now Ive done it, the NFL and NBA in the same thread. DOH!

Dear Lord Kmac! Wtt have you done?

Antonia gets the pressure b/c he's the QB of Merica's Team. LBJ had it b/c he anointed himself King James.

Thanks for posting that Ary, I had a grin throughout the entire thing. Was GREAT to see someone put Skip in his place.....he could not even answer a question such as why do you play a zone. Funny stuff man.

Way to go Kmac. Worlds colliding
Worlds%2BColliding.jpg

Dear Lord Kmac! Wtt have you done?

Antonia gets the pressure b/c he's the QB of Merica's Team. LBJ had it b/c he anointed himself King James.

I agree. But the question is WHO IN SPORTS NOW HAS THE MOST PRESSURE TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP? I dont think anyone in the NBA has LBJ like pressure, self anointed or not. I do think Romo has huge amounts of pressure to win the Super Bowl though.

Dean, are those worlds colliding or gravitas?

I agree. But the question is WHO IN SPORTS NOW HAS THE MOST PRESSURE TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP? I dont think anyone in the NBA has LBJ like pressure, self anointed or not. I do think Romo has huge amounts of pressure to win the Super Bowl though.

The Yankees.
I dont think we can say Romo yet, only because he has not been "close" recently.

Lee Westwood

:bashful:

Truth. The Yankees are expected to win every year. Lebron would be a good Yankee.

Pressure is on the Rangers to get to the World Series and not choke for the third time in a row.

The Yankees.
I dont think we can say Romo yet, only because he has not been "close" recently.

But can you say the Yankess when they always seem like they're close? Although it has been a while for them hasnt it? Its a great discussion though. We need a sports banter thread I think for these kinds of topics.

Am I wrong to think that the pressure still falls squarely on LBJ going forward?

We are trying to come up with players who the pressure is on: and if there was one, it would be VERY obvious. Every name brought up is too old or too young to have the pressure.

Instead, all the pressure from the Mj vs LBJ argument is going to continue to build. Can James win 5 in a row? Can he match MJ? Without a clear #1 person to take the pressure from him, I think Lebron gets stuck with it again.

The analogy here is TW vs Jack.
Once Tiger won #1 the pressure was off, until he started to challenge Jack's number. Now there is a huge amount of pressure on him (for more than one reason, and most of it is own doing... I hear he is back) because of the rivalry with Jack to be the GOAT.

LBJ's stats are challenging MJ- but he needs to win more "majors" to prove it. That means more pressure.

Am I wrong to think that the pressure still fall squarely on LBJ going forward.

We are trying to come up with players who the pressure is on: and if there was one, it would be VERY obvious. Every name brought up is too old or two young to have the pressure.

Instead, all the pressure from the Mj vs LBJ argument is going to continue to build. Can James win 5 in a row? Can he match MJ? Without a clear #1 person to take the pressure from him, I think Lebron gets stuck with it again.

The analogy here is TW vs Jack.
Once Tiger won #1 the pressure was off, until he started to challenge Jack's number. Now there is a huge amount of pressure on him (for more than one reason, and most of it is own doing... I hear he is back) because of the rivalry with Jack to be the GOAT.

LBJ's stats are challenging MJ- but he needs to win more "majors" to prove it. That means more pressure.

You are dead on in this one. The pressure goes no where.

Loving LebRontheSavage's posts in here haha...

You are dead on in this one. The pressure goes no where.

I agree. Good post Gus. We'll see what LBJ does in the future from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back