Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Bake.

Good luck Bake.
Thanks. I think its more a matter that my parents and their 4 dogs are down and I need a break.
I love my family, but the dogs get a little annoying at times.

The state screwed up our tax refund. Totally missed the fact that we had tax withheld from our paychecks. Geez!

So glad we do not pay state taxes.

So glad we do not pay state taxes.

I saw you were the last post, and I KNEW you were going to say that.

I did in CT last year for 12 months. NEVER AGAIN.

I'm with JB on this. After living in either Texas or Florida since 2002, I really don't miss paying state income tax like I had to before that.

Granted, I still think property taxes make no sense whatsoever. Taxing someone for property that they OWN...and being able to take it away if they don't pay the taxes? It really doesn't make sense - you pay for the right to have property, basically. It's one of those taxes that should disappear, and be replaced by a sales tax/income tax increase imho. Completely pisses me off when I see someone who purchased property with the intention of retiring there, then they have to sell the property because they can't afford the property taxes after retirement.

Friggin' MLB blackouts.

I just want something to sort of watch until the M's game starts. Why can't it be the Astros game?!?!

Quick update and the thumb and wrist. Doctors are happy with the way it is healing to this point. We are going to keep it splinted and with more rest, meds, and injections we are hoping that it will heal up in the next 3 to 6 weeks and I can get back to swinging. Worst case is I re-tear the ligament and I need surgery and would be out another 4-6 weeks. I hope to be playing again by the second week of May and we let you guys know.

Quick update and the thumb and wrist. Doctors are happy with the way it is healing to this point. We are going to keep it splinted and with more rest, meds, and injections we are hoping that it will heal up in the next 3 to 6 weeks and I can get back to swinging. Worst case is I re-tear the ligament and I need surgery and would be out another 4-6 weeks. I hope to be playing again by the second week of May and we let you guys know.

Thanks for the update, Andy--keeping fingers crossed for you.

Bake,
Our sales tax is 7% in our area. No state income taxes in a few states in the US. I believe TX, FL, and AZ. That is strictly off memory though. The state makes money off tourism rather than taxes.

Welp, its raining AGAIN today... There is supposed to be a window in the rain sometime later this morning and into the early afternoon and Im hoping to get out and play, but I have a feeling that today will be another do of doing inside stuff.
Oh well, at least the NASCAR race is on and Jerry Kelly is leading the golf tourney; so at least there is some good stuff on TV to watch.
Besides that, I gotta change oil on my truck and bring all the lawn and garden equipment out of hibernation (gotta change oil/filter on the lawn tractor and change oil on the walkbehind mower and trimmer and get them up and running). Nothing crazy or difficult, but enough to keep me busy if golf gets rained out.

Hang in there Andy. Keep healing and we're all looking forward to you being healed up and back to golfing.

I ruptured my achilles last May and was out of any kind of activity for months, so I hope they can get you better with just rest and healing time. Being able to heal without surgery is definitely preferable!

Bake,
Our sales tax is 7% in our area. No state income taxes in a few states in the US. I believe TX, FL, and AZ. That is strictly off memory though. The state makes money off tourism rather than taxes.
Interesting. We have 10% sales tax here but Id bet with all the tourist stuff you guys have down there (Disneyland and whatnot), that probably brings in a lot of money.
We have some of that here, but Im sure not like what you guys have. Other than the Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin is more of a hunting/fishing/snowmobiling/ATVing/outdoors kinda state.

FL we have all the Orlando theme parks (like 10) and then of course Bush Gardens here. But lets not forget the beaches and golf that bring in just as much.

The beaches, the golf, Kennedy Space Center, the different racetracks (Daytona, Homestead, etc) - the state is just basically one giant tourist trap. :D

FL we have all the Orlando theme parks (like 10) and then of course Bush Gardens here. But lets not forget the beaches and golf that bring in just as much.

The beaches, the golf, Kennedy Space Center, the different racetracks (Daytona, Homestead, etc) - the state is just basically one giant tourist trap. :D
Yup, sounds like a tourist trap to me.
You guys can have it. I get frustrated enough with all the out of state people driving around lost up here (driving 45 mph and slamming on their brakes for no apparent reason).

You guys can have it. I get frustrated enough with all the out of state people driving around lost up here (driving 45 mph and slamming on their brakes for no apparent reason).

I went to college in a tourist trap (Williamsburg, VA). We took perverse delight in misdirecting and otherwise torturing tourists.

I went to college in a tourist trap (Williamsburg, VA). We took perverse delight in misdirecting and otherwise torturing tourists.
LOL...:D Thats funny. I personally would never, eeeeever do something like that, :angel: but its still pretty funny.
I always get a kick out of when out of town people ask me where a certain street is and they get annoyed when I dont know. They are always like, "youve lived here all your life and you dont know where such and such street is".
See, I know where Im going but that doesnt mean I know the name of each and every street. I guess its a midwest thing, we know landmarks and distance measure in time (we talk about distance in how long it takes to get there, not in actual miles), so exact distance and streetnames is irrelevent.
Its OK, you guys can call me a redneck. Ive stopped denying that fact a long time ago...:confused2:

In a lot of the very tourist type areas like Miami Beach and Key West the sales tax is actually 11%. Plus Florida has a lot of "snow birds" and they bring in a lot of money. Especially if they rent for the few months they are here. The State of Florida charges a "tourist tax" so to speak of 11% (maybe even 12%) to people who rent for anything less than 6 months and 1 day.

That is only in the "touristy areas". In Tampa there is the same bad driving as everywhere else and nothing like we had up north.

Californians get double screwed. We have to pay high sales tax and state income tax.

Did I rant about this? Hubby and I live on our blackberries. We BOTH manaaged to leave our chargers behind on vacation. He ordered new ones cheap, but they are coming by carrier snail. So for a week, I've only been able to use it in little bits and pieces. I have about half a charge left, and Hubby's is dead. I feel totally unconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back