Ohio, Indiana & Surrounding Area chat thread

I'm northwest of Columbus, so I'm posting mostly to keep track of this post in case anything pops up around me. Currently, I'm taking lessons (and awaiting a fitting for the top end of my bag) at Golftec. That should be a good way to lead up to next season.

There are quite a few members up your way. I’m a couple hours south but have been known to travel up that way for a round

I'm northwest of Columbus, so I'm posting mostly to keep track of this post in case anything pops up around me. Currently, I'm taking lessons (and awaiting a fitting for the top end of my bag) at Golftec. That should be a good way to lead up to next season.
Me and @Nerdy_81 are in Marysville
Several others pretty close as well (y)

I just saw this morning that Westchester in Canal Winchester just finalized a deal to be sold to a private owner that will keep it a golf course. I'm glad it ended up not being turned into a park.
It's about an hour away from me. I've only played it once. Took about 6 hours but I like the course

Not sure how many of you have heard of Oak Shadows in New Philly, but there was some good news about the course recently. It was sold and they plan to keep it a golf course! If you have not played it yet, you need to do so! It is an excellent track and I think it is one of the top public courses in Ohio!

I just saw this morning that Westchester in Canal Winchester just finalized a deal to be sold to a private owner that will keep it a golf course. I'm glad it ended up not being turned into a park.

Or housing! Or a cattle ranch! Or a pay to hunt place offering canned hunts! All these things have happened around here.

Not sure how many of you have heard of Oak Shadows in New Philly, but there was some good news about the course recently. It was sold and they plan to keep it a golf course! If you have not played it yet, you need to do so! It is an excellent track and I think it is one of the top public courses in Ohio!

Looked at the links, and while I didn't see a whole lot of oaks, or a whole lot of shadows, it looked like a darn nice track!

Had a situation like that a few years back with one of our favorite courses. Went up for auction, and the neighboring farmer bought it. The club pro ironed out a deal to keep the course open by leasing it from him. He knew why the place was failing. It wasn't the course, it was the people running it! They were rude, inconsiderate, and acted like they were doing you a favor by taking your money! He fired them! It used to be a private club for a few years, with Grille Room, full restaurant and bar, and this had fallen off badly. He leased it out to a local restauranteur, and it's going well. We can dine in the Grille Room or on the patio, and there is service and the food is excellent! The main dining room is for the general public.

And he's made the course more playable. We make it a point to get out there quite a few times a year. And the lot is always crowded. Nice to see something come back from the brink!

Or housing! Or a cattle ranch! Or a pay to hunt place offering canned hunts! All these things have happened around here.

Looked at the links, and while I didn't see a whole lot of oaks, or a whole lot of shadows, it looked like a darn nice track!

Had a situation like that a few years back with one of our favorite courses. Went up for auction, and the neighboring farmer bought it. The club pro ironed out a deal to keep the course open by leasing it from him. He knew why the place was failing. It wasn't the course, it was the people running it! They were rude, inconsiderate, and acted like they were doing you a favor by taking your money! He fired them! It used to be a private club for a few years, with Grille Room, full restaurant and bar, and this had fallen off badly. He leased it out to a local restauranteur, and it's going well. We can dine in the Grille Room or on the patio, and there is service and the food is excellent! The main dining room is for the general public.

And he's made the course more playable. We make it a point to get out there quite a few times a year. And the lot is always crowded. Nice to see something come back from the brink!
What course is this that you're referring to?

What course is this that you're referring to?

It's any number of them! in this particular instance it refers to Salem Hills Golf Club outside of Salem Ohio!

Thank you for your interest! It's a really nice course.

I just realized that you may have been asking about the courses that closed. Candywood (beautiful track) in Warren was the one that became the pay to hunt place. Copeland Hills in Columbiana is now the cattle ranch. And Doughton (Hubbard) and Diamondback (Canfield) are both closed and having houses built on them.

Hello Ohio peeps. When covid is gone. We need to get together and play at a central location.

Hello Ohio peeps. When covid is gone. We need to get together and play at a central location.

Most definitely! Hang in there, folks!

I'll be considering getting a "Darby Dozen" at a local course which will be a good deal on prepaid greens fees for the year. I definitely want to play a lot more golf next year (in addition to my league).

I'll be considering getting a "Darby Dozen" at a local course which will be a good deal on prepaid greens fees for the year. I definitely want to play a lot more golf next year (in addition to my league).

I've gotten that a few times. Good part is you can share it. @OhioGolfer and I play there a decent amount. And I play league there on Mondays too

Yeah Covid put a damper on that for sure. Love our Ohio gatherings we've done the last few years. Miss the peeps

OOOOO when we golfing bud?
40th is in Feb. I think that grants me a hall pass to go just about anywhere friend

Back