One Club Between Driver and Irons?

Would be tough for me since I currently start irons at 5, but I think I could get away with a 4w and then go straight to a driving style 3 iron.

That's been my bag for a few years now. The P790 UDI 2i is in between my driver and 4I.

For me it would mean parking the mini driver, keeping the 17* Super Hybrid, and replacing my 20* hybrid with a 4-iron. Sometimes I miss my 4-iron anyway, so I could easily make it work.

At the moment I am only carrying a 17* 4 wood between my driver and irons.

17° Super Hybrid & add a 4 iron, I could do it.

3 Wood is a bomber that I could never give up. The rest I could easily part with.

I hit the 3w well and on almost every par 5, hybrid allows me a 210+ club...

I'm curious if I drop either does it make me better or worse. I am thinking that the duff shot goes away and it becomes mandatory to play to a distance. Hitting greens then becomes mandatory from thelat said distance.

I currently do it IF you count a UT iron as iron. I simply have a 4 wood in between my driver and UT iron. And I don't miss anything that would go there.

Only have two clubs between my driver and a 4i right now. Those are a 3 and 5 wood. I would be content to drop the 3w and only go 5w but I would probably drop both and go 4w

I go driver, 3h, ut iron and then 4 iron. If the UT counts as an iron I’m doing it now.

I am in a big minority here but I am currently gaming driver then straight to irons. I love hitting irons and am much more comfortable with an iron in my hand then anything else. I know some people consider utility irons to be a hybrid but too me it is much more iron like the hybrid like and that is what I love about my utility irons. That and I can smack the 2u as long or longer then a lot of people hit driver and sometimes even the 3u.

I am getting better about putting the driver in time out in the middle of a round when my swing starts getting wonky with it and just hitting utility irons off the tee. I can usually tell before I ever start my swing with a driver if it is going to be really bad. There are times it just does not feel right in my hands and that’s when it gets wild. No idea what the difference is because once it starts I can readdress the ball 15x in a row and it won’t change. I can however often go back to the driver after a few holes and have it feel right again. I say all this because I find fairways to be that way as well and sometimes hybrids. It is really rare though for any iron to feel bad in my hands and not be better by readdressing the ball again.

This is the question that I am trying to answer right now with my new iron order. I will learn more when they show up and see if I can hit the long irons, but right now my theory because I am out of money is a 5W to start, and then maybe consider a hybrid if the 4/5i are above my capability

I wouldn't want to do it but certainly could. The 3 wood would go leaving the 5 wood as that one club. Would replace the 4 hybrid with an original PTx 4 iron.

I could do it currently have only a 3w and a 3 hybrid between driver and irons, I would go only 3w as I don't hit the hybrid much at all.

I am currently doing it. Ping G425 3 hybrid. Carrying 2 drivers ATM, and it's filling the do everything in between role really well.

The DCB 4 iron has been so good that I would consider a utility iron in place of the 20* Super Hybrid. That would leave the 17* Super Hybrid as the only club in between driver and irons.

Hmmmmm.....I think I could, I’d go 5w.

4w would be my choice

Currently go driver, 5w, 3i. Works pretty well for my bag.

I could do it, but I wouldn’t do it. Unless you can hit a long iron like a champ, I’m not sure why anyone would do it.

I could, but it would leave about a 35 yard gap in my bag between 5W and 5i, so I wouldn't.

I could but a tough call as to which club. A 4W most likely. That or a big adjustable crossover utility. My GAPR MID #3 was a great option for me. Maybe set something similar at it's strongest loft and plug a slightly longer hybrid shaft in it? A 2H would fit in well theoretically if I just didn't have a problem hitting big hooks at the worst possible time with hybrids.

Last edited:
#4wMafia

This is a confusing part of my bag right now. I’ve been toying here because I’m not 100% happy. My most recent set makeups have been:

A: 3W, 3H, 5i
B: 3W, 5W 4i
C: Strong lofted 3W, 2ui, 4i

So maybe I could do one club between driver and irons. I’d probably do a strong lofted 3W.

Yes. For about 3 years I went driver 2 iron.

Back