Patrick Reed and 2 stroke penalty

For those asking.
You don't rake a waste bunker after your shot. You don't fix or improve anything.That's why Read was in a footprint.

There’s no doubt what he was doing there, what a moronic piece of ****.

Do you think this is better, worse, same as Phil at the US Open?

Ooh, great question. That was the moment FIGJAM became dead to me as well so I’d say just as bad at least.

Ooh, great question. That was the moment FIGJAM became dead to me as well so I’d say just as bad at least.

I mean can one be more blatantly obvious than the guy power walking to the ball and hitting it back while it’s moving?

Kick him off the tour Doug

Haters gonna hate....Meantime the dude has clubs with his name on em....

I always find comments like this interesting or the “half the guys saying he’s cheating can’t even break 100”, I don’t understand how it’s related. The dude is on tour and a major champ, clearly he’s a great player, but that takes nothing away from him getting caught cheating. His post round interview didn’t help his image either. Like just accept it and move on instead of blaming the camera angle or next time don’t do directly in line with the ball.

I mean can one be more blatantly obvious than the guy power walking to the ball and hitting it back while it’s moving?
While that looked bad his intention was to point out that the USGA is terrible at setting up tournaments.

While that looked bad his intention was to point out that the USGA is terrible at setting up tournaments.

I think that was his intention after he had time to think about a response. And furthermore that reasoning does not make what he did any better than what actually occurred.

I am not sure what to think. He had to know there was a camera there, and if he improved his lie he had to know it would get caught on camera.

The whole situation around waste bunkers is utter BS...……..On one hand you can ground your club.....On one hand you can remove loose particles.....On one hand they are not groomed....There is a fine line between cheating and being ultra competitive to gain every possible advantage within the rules....Ultimately with this specific instance of Reeds....He made practice swings which moves sand. To the naked eye you might not even notice that. His lie once he made his shot was still horrible. He gets penalized. He states his case. He accepts his penalty. He moved along. His intentions were to gain every possible advantage. He wants to win......Haters gonna hate. I choose to respect Reeds aggressiveness and attitude.

What Phil did was insane....He blew a gasket. He should have been DQ'd on the spot. All his comments later were BS. I love Phil and still do. He was right there and then that putt and bam he blew a gasket. We are all human. But he should have been DQ'd for that situation. IMHO.

I know the question wasn’t directed at me. I hated what Phil did and honestly can’t say he shouldn’t have been dq’ed. The difference in my mind is that (I think) PM assessed himself the penalty immediately. Whereas Reed seems to have taken a little bit of a different approach, saying the camera angle made it look worse than it was, etc.

The actions themselves- well I thought Phil’s were born from frustration while Reed was just trying to cheat, but neither of them have a place in professional golf.

The whole situation around waste bunkers is utter BS...……..On one hand you can ground your club.....On one hand you can remove loose particles.....On one hand they are not groomed....There is a fine line between cheating and being ultra competitive to gain every possible advantage within the rules....Ultimately with this specific instance of Reeds....He made practice swings which moves sand. To the naked eye you might not even notice that. His lie once he made his shot was still horrible. He gets penalized. He states his case. He accepts his penalty. He moved along. His intentions were to gain every possible advantage. He wants to win......Haters gonna hate. I choose to respect Reeds aggressiveness and attitude.

You mean gain an unfair advantage (rules violation), sounds like cheating. Be competitive as you want, don’t break the rules. Pretty simple stuff.

Penalty was well deserved.

Question. What if he didn't move sand with practice swings, but grounded the club at address and his normal backswing moved the sand away and then went on to hit the ball? I think he would have a lot better argument for his cheating if he did it that way.

Question. What if he didn't move sand with practice swings, but grounded the club at address and his normal backswing moved the sand away and then went on to hit the ball?

The scenario you wrote is allowed by the Rules and no penalty.
Actually, a player can make practice swings, disrupt the sand/soil etc..., but that must be done away from the ball so as to not change/improve the lie. Reed's behavior here was such blatant cheating it is hard to believe he did it and, or, thought he could get away with it.

You mean gain an unfair advantage (rules violation), sounds like cheating. Be competitive as you want, don’t break the rules. Pretty simple stuff.
It's not simple stuff. That's why they have rules officials following play.

I think that was his intention after he had time to think about a response. And furthermore that reasoning does not make what he did any better than what actually occurred.

Fair enough. I know I have been frustrated on the course and lost my mind at times too. I view that as very different from what Reed did. Reed was trying to cheat. Phil, lost his mind... haha. Neither is good.

It's not simple stuff. That's why they have rules officials following play.

You really think Reed didn’t know the rule regarding his lie in the waste area?

To each their own. This isn’t a complicated situation and a rule Reed along with every player should have been aware of especially give the vast amounts of waste area on the course this week.

To each their own. This isn’t a complicated situation and a rule Reed along with every player should have been aware of especially give the vast amounts of waste area on the course this week.
You seem to have full understanding to Reeds intent....I have the position that his intent wasn't to move sand with his practice swing. Hence my position...Haters will hate.

You seem to have full understanding to Reeds intent....I have the position that his intent wasn't to move sand with his practice swing. Hence my position...Haters will hate.

Intent doesn’t matter.

Intent only applies to my view to your view...I guess you didn't pick up on that....I should be more clear. As you refer to him as a cheater....Not someone who made a mistake.

Intent only applies to my view to your view...I guess you didn't pick up on that....I should be more clear. As you refer to him as a cheater....Not someone who made a mistake.

He could have easily said he made a mistake in his interview, but he didn’t. He said it was his word vs their word and their camera angle aka he didn’t agree with it aka he didn’t think he did anything wrong.

He could have easily said he made a mistake in his interview, but he didn’t. He said it was his word vs their word and their camera angle aka he didn’t agree with it aka he didn’t think he did anything wrong.
Hence he thought he didn't do anything wrong.....But don't forget....It's simple stuff.

Hence he thought he didn't do anything wrong.....But don't forget....It's simple stuff.

Or he could have just agreed with the rules officials, accepted his penalty, said he made a mistake and moved on....but he didn’t.

Again, pretty simple.

Back