Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

I think that's a good point....in trying to 'modernize' they may be losing some of their 'classic/clean' look

they do appear to be improving. But the past few lines just haven't been as "smooth" looking as others in the same category IMO.

I think the color on the ping irons are very smooth. Nikes are really busy, to me the Cg16's were pretty busy, Cobras are really busy... Definitely not arguing but I'm just completely lost on the not modern look. I think less is more in some cases.

Very interesting, I can't wait to hear more about these. I'll be moving to more of a GI type iron soon, I simply want to take advantage of the forgiveness, but just cannot give up distance. Good times to come, bring on the info.

Coolbreeze says he thnks they are ugly.

Interesting....because I thinkthe Razr's are just as busy as some of the irons you've listed below.

Busier than the PINGs? not at all....just interesting to see what some people think especially since the back of the club isn't used for anything but to look at while in your bag lol

I think the color on the ping irons are very smooth. Nikes are really busy, to me the Cg16's were pretty busy, Cobras are really busy... Definitely not arguing but I'm just completely lost on the not modern look. I think less is more in some cases.

I'm interested to hear about how these perform against some other GI irons. I like the look of the back, but the top line and sole are way too thick for my taste.

John Deere Tappin...

Interesting....because I thinkthe Razr's are just as busy as some of the irons you've listed below.

Busier than the PINGs? not at all....just interesting to see what some people think especially since the back of the club isn't used for anything but to look at while in your bag lol

the back of the club doesn't bother me much because once it's set up to the ball, who the heck cares how it looks. But the look at address from the G series irons(esp the 10 and 15) just look thick and funky. To me, the irons Yoccos listed look 10x better at address than the past G series irons(with the exception of the Cobra's possibly).

I think so too. Not coming down on personal preferences just curious is all.

I guess I'm just a sucker for the looks of PING irons, I like them all all the way back to the Eye 2's and ISI's. Can't really explain why, I just do, its a strange thing lol.

I like the look of these. I think the back is similar to the TaylorMade R9 cavity actually. Not the same, but comparable.

I think these look better than Pings previous offerings. I will be interested to see what you think of them JB.

Never have been a big Ping fan. My ex brother in law was before he switched to Callaway, but the looks just have never been good for me. I gotta admit though, that I could be convinced on these.

Love me some Ping irons. Greatly look forward to everyones thoughts. I know I will be hitting these at a local range when I get the chance. :rockon:

I may be the only one but I like the looks. They look clean to me. I couldnt tell the difference between these and the G15 last night just looking at the soles. People say blades look gorgeous all the time and frankly, a lot of them look pretty plain to me.

I look forward to hearing how these perform, I've never been a huge fan but if they perform might be worth a look.

You are not alone TMex. I saw these the last time I was at Golfsmith and I really liked them. :ping:

I really like the looks of this iron set. I hit one of the i15 irons the other weekend and loved it. I think Ping has come into my radar! Has Ping ever done a forum testing?

I really like the Ping brand for some reason, kind of Titleist for me, it seems classic, I dont know why. So the inserts basically mute some of the sound, is that the idea?

I really like the looks of this iron set. I hit one of the i15 irons the other weekend and loved it. I think Ping has come into my radar! Has Ping ever done a forum testing?

The I15's are one of my favorite Pings sets since the I5's. Almost perfect. The feel on them was great also which is why I liked them a little more than the G15's. Supposedly the feel of the G20's is significantly better than the 15's. :desire:

The I15's are one of my favorite Pings sets since the I5's. Almost perfect. The feel on them was great also which is why I liked them a little more than the G15's. Supposedly the feel of the G20's is significantly better than the 15's. :desire:

Really! That would be sick. My brother-in-law has the i15's and they are great irons. I might be seeing Pings in my future!

See I liked the feel of the G15's better than the i15's but liked the look at address better witht he i15's...if the G20's are a mix of the 2 than these are a great set.

I think PING is going to have a sneaky good line of clubs this year but since they're not a big marketer of themselves their stuff won't be hit as much

I was the exact opposite Hanks. Loved the feel of the I's but went with the forgiveness of the G's. These 20's are supposed to get the feel just right:pig:

See I liked the feel of the G15's better than the i15's but liked the look at address better witht he i15's...if the G20's are a mix of the 2 than these are a great set.

I think PING is going to have a sneaky good line of clubs this year but since they're not a big marketer of themselves their stuff won't be hit as much

The PING badges in their irons are softeners and are an integral part of the design. I use to be a PING guy and loved my i3's, and when one of those badges came out, I contacted PING, asking if I could just glue it back in there and they were adamant that I send them back to them to have them reinstalled by them. They said it was very important in the irons function.

I saw these irons at the Golfsmith in Florida. They look nice. I will look forward to the i20's more though.

There is Ping demo day near here next week, think I will stop by to check these out. I haven't hit the G15's so can't really compare but have always heard good things about their clubs.

Nice initial review JB. I hit these a few days ago and the felt nice with a muted sound. The wide sole is a deal breaker for me though around here with our very hard pan fairways with very little grass. They were very forgiving on the range.

Looking forward to the review on these and hitting them later this week.
These have me pondering....

The back of the G20's look great to me. To me however, I just couldn't get used to the huge soles. I really like the look of the I15's, but just didn't hit them as well as some of the other irons. I really wanted to like the I's, and I didn't dislike them, but they just didn't work for my as well as some others.

For me I liked the feel of the G20's, and they had awesome forgiveness. If they could combine the look of the I15 and the forgiveness and feel of the G20's, I might have ended up with some pings.

Took these out yesterday with the driver and got a few swings in. Nice and high ball flight and I liked the shaft quite a bit with a smooth tempo swing. They definitely have a softer and more muted sound than the G15s which translates nicely to a softer feel. Was able to hit shots right, left and high, but did struggle if I wanted to hit a lower knock down shot (not that most need that). Distance was good and one thing I noticed that I really liked was that balls caught a groove thin or a groove thick had almost no distance loss whatsoever.

More testing coming up soon.

Back