PING G30 Fairway Wood Review

I think I may have found something quite useful for me by tuning the 5w to 18.6, consistency off the deck and tee for me, still taken aback by the distance jump compared to the G20/G25 and even the i25's for me.

I am currently in a mental battle to go ahead and buy the G30 3 wood. My local Golfsmith even has one in stock with the Tour 80 shaft. Some demoing yesterday showed it was quite easy to elevate, but I am just not sure its enough to justify the cost when the SLDR S is just as long.

I am currently in a mental battle to go ahead and buy the G30 3 wood. My local Golfsmith even has one in stock with the Tour 80 shaft. Some demoing yesterday showed it was quite easy to elevate, but I am just not sure its enough to justify the cost when the SLDR S is just as long.
New shiney things are fun or there's something you are looking for that you don't get from the TM clubs?

New shiney things are fun or there's something you are looking for that you don't get from the TM clubs?

My OCD kicks in if my woods don't match. I am the same way with wedges.

I think I may have found something quite useful for me by tuning the 5w to 18.6, consistency off the deck and tee for me, still taken aback by the distance jump compared to the G20/G25 and even the i25's for me.

I was doing OK, avoiding these, until your last reference. Gonna have to give them a try.

The 5w has become a real weapon for me the last few times out. Its a short par 4 killer, I roll with it more than the 3w because frankly the 3w is approaching too long for what I want there position wise.

Plus, the 5w off the deck just makes me grin too.

Have had a few buddies send me notes about how well they are hitting these fairway woods which has me very intrigued. I'm looking for something with a bit more consistency and from the review and the notes I'm getting I think this just got put on my must try list. I think a visit to the golf store demo rack on Thursday evening is in order.

I had the chance to hit WardF 's 5w last weekend. I think I want one. It was a bit dark out still, so we could not see the distance, but I hit them high enough that we saw some of the flight. And the sound was really good.

#Validation

Bahahaha! Kidding.

They're a ton of fun though, and very well rounded IMO.

Well, after a few rounds of pounding the G30 14.5 degree in the simulator today it was enough for me to put this in ponder mode. Not ready to give up on my current but I liked what I saw. I almost took it out to demo on Friday but I need that time with my current 3 wood right now. But it was nice!

Jman, I understand that when the loft is adjusted, the lie is also adjusted so the ball flight might end up with either a draw or fade. Did you find this to be true?

As with any club that adjusts, there will be some changes there. I've not noticed it much myself, and I've played both the 3w and 5w in all loft options. They want to elevate, and they want to go straight.

Cannot get over how much I'm enjoying these still, the 5w in particular right now. The elevation off the deck is silly good for me, and I still maintain that the TFC419 shafts are a better fit here than in the drivers.

As with any club that adjusts, there will be some changes there. I've not noticed it much myself, and I've played both the 3w and 5w in all loft options. They want to elevate, and they want to go straight.

Cannot get over how much I'm enjoying these still, the 5w in particular right now. The elevation off the deck is silly good for me, and I still maintain that the TFC419 shafts are a better fit here than in the drivers.

Care to expand on that last part?

Care to expand on that last part?

The counter-weight works better here. In the driver, they felt off, and the flight IMO was a bit off because of it. Here, the elevation they give is really really good, and they hold up well. IMO, this is the club where many are infatuated with the tour shaft, but I thought the TFC was better for the masses.

The counter-weight works better here. In the driver, they felt off, and the flight IMO was a bit off because of it. Here, the elevation they give is really really good, and they hold up well. IMO, this is the club where many are infatuated with the tour shaft, but I thought the TFC was better for the masses.

Thanks! Still need more time with the 3W. I think the driver shaft is actually giving me lower results than I expected at this point. Hopefully going to the range and playing a round this weekend so I'll be able to get a better feel for it. Feedback has been awesome so far. Keep it up!

Last edited:
This Fairway real makes me think i hit the 3 wood and it feels great i wish they made a 4 wood but i guess i could always dial down the loft on a 5 wood
How square is the face after the loft is change?

This Fairway real makes me think i hit the 3 wood and it feels great i wish they made a 4 wood but i guess i could always dial down the loft on a 5 wood
How square is the face after the loft is change?

Its fine IMO. But, I think many really over think the effects on the face angle of adjustments personally.

I think you'd be surprised with the 14.5 3W bumped to 15.5. Launch is not an issue with these.

Its fine IMO. But, I think many really over think the effects on the face angle of adjustments personally.

I think you'd be surprised with the 14.5 3W bumped to 15.5. Launch is not an issue with these.

for me it is a spot in the bag issue i need a club with a loft around 16-17 to fit between my Mini and 20 Hybrid

for me it is a spot in the bag issue i need a club with a loft around 16-17 to fit between my Mini and 20 Hybrid

But if it hits the distance and flight you want, does the loft really matter? I know to some it does, but I've learned many times loft gaps are not the same as distance gaps.

But if it hits the distance and flight you want, does the loft really matter? I know to some it does, but I've learned many times loft gaps are not the same as distance gaps.
True
When i was testing the 3 wood it was only 10 yard shorter than my Mini i am looking for something just a little shorter to fit into the yardage gap but i am afraid that the 5 wood might be two short

Pondering the 7 wood. Has anyone hit the hybrids? Can't find the hynrid review thread.

Pondering the 7 wood. Has anyone hit the hybrids? Can't find the hynrid review thread.

THP hasn't done a review on the hybrids yet, they're an interesting hybrid, its fin to see the evolution the gseries has taken there.

On the 7w, with the way the 5w is I can only imagine it being a well rounded club that will LAUNCH.

THP hasn't done a review on the hybrids yet, they're an interesting hybrid, its fin to see the evolution the gseries has taken there.

On the 7w, with the way the 5w is I can only imagine it being a well rounded club that will LAUNCH.

Well you got me excited :) Looking forward to the hybrid review.

Well you got me excited :) Looking forward to the hybrid review.

Not saying we will or won't, that I do not know. But, I do know I plan on hitting one eventually, been waiting to find a course with one in the shop to try out.

Not saying we will or won't, that I do not know. But, I do know I plan on hitting one eventually, been waiting to find a course with one in the shop to try out.

Oh, ok. Still looking forward to your thoughts when you get a chance to hit them.

Back