I can't answer for Ping on the carbon crown but they had carbon on the original Rapture driver. Maybe they tried it and saw something they didn't like and decided not to go down that road again.
We asked about this at a THP event a few years ago and the answer wasn't great. I'll just say they think what they have been doing is the best way to make a product.

I like Ping - one of my dumbest moves was taking the i25s out of the bag. But I’ve felt for a while now they aren’t really trying to stay relevant from a technology and innovation perspective. Sure, they still produce very good gear. But for example, is there any other major OEM that doesn’t use a carbon fiber crown on at least one driver? That’s a lost opportunity for weight movement, which means more forgiveness is being left on the table. At some point those things have to catch up to them.

The G425 Max has the highest MOI (forgiveness) of any driver on the market. Other OEM drivers range from 190-200g heads, Pings are heavier by design. I can't say why they don't use carbon, but I can assume it's because they want to keep their headlights above 200g. More often than not, when I'm building drivers for clients, I'm adding weight to get them to the 200g mark. While Ping may not be the loudest brand at the table, they don't hide who they are what they are about. You're acting as if Ping has been lacking the last few years. The G400 was a great series (fairways not so much)... G410 was a great series... now we are at G425. The fairways and hybrids are phenomenal and the drivers are great but may not be everyones cup of tea.

You also have to look at the taking to the G425 drivers on Tour. Jason Day put one in play this week along with quite a few other non contracted players. It's a good club, but it does need to be dialed in to open it up.

The G425 Max has the highest MOI (forgiveness) of any driver on the market. Other OEM drivers range from 190-200g heads, Pings are heavier by design. I can't say why they don't use carbon, but I can assume it's because they want to keep their headlights above 200g. More often than not, when I'm building drivers for clients, I'm adding weight to get them to the 200g mark.

While Ping may not be the loudest brand at the table, they don't hide who they are what they are about.

Broke up your comment a little bit. I think that’s why I’ve always gotten along with Ping drivers. I really like a heavier head in my drivers and their recent Tour shafts just fit me so well.

Ping’s minimal BS way of doing things is one reason why they always have a spot on my testing list.

Broke up your comment a little bit. I think that’s why I’ve always gotten along with Ping drivers. I really like a heavier head in my drivers and their recent Tour shafts just fit me so well.

Ping’s minimal BS way of doing things is one reason why they always have a spot on my testing list.

We live in a day where instant gratification exists, we can find any information on almost anything in seconds and the world is at our fingertips. However, at the same time things are getting more polarizing. When RBZ came out and it was "15 YARDS LONGER!!!!!!!" we all tried it. The second time it came around we started to roll our eyes and ask how many times can we get 15 yards longer. We got so sick of marketing fluff and the used car salesman tactics of the OEMs. It seems we've been dulled by it a little and here we are asking Ping to put carbon in their driver. Why? What specifically would carbon do to the G425? Has Ping not tried to use carbon? Do we think they've talked about it? The people at Ping are smart and make great clubs, just like the other OEMs. They just get there a different way. Look how long did it took Ping to put moveable weight in their drivers.

They didn't get rid of it, they moved it to inside the head. Just the same as last years version.
I know, but the point is, it was a visible tech that differentiated, and now it’s non visible and, and imo makes the head not stand out as well...and really....just look like the 400’s.

I know, but the point is, it was a visible tech that differentiated, and now it’s non visible and, and imo makes the head not stand out as well...and really....just look like the 400’s.

Gotcha. I thought that at first when I saw the G410. I liked the dragonfly on top on the G400, or at least I thought I did. Looking at my G400 LST now vs the G425 LST I like the look of the G425 LST better. But I hear what you're saying.

Gotcha. I thought that at first when I saw the G410. I liked the dragonfly on top on the G400, or at least I thought I did. Looking at my G400 LST now vs the G425 LST I like the look of the G425 LST better. But I hear what you're saying.
Yup. All a personal preference for sure! (y)

We asked about this at a THP event a few years ago and the answer wasn't great. I'll just say they think what they have been doing is the best way to make a product.
To expand on that the explanation from Marty to the THPers was they struggled with the bonding aspect and while they agree with the weight savings they are not ready to go back to it yet.

They arent releasing it here at all. Stupid.

The G425 Max has the highest MOI (forgiveness) of any driver on the market. Other OEM drivers range from 190-200g heads, Pings are heavier by design. I can't say why they don't use carbon, but I can assume it's because they want to keep their headlights above 200g. More often than not, when I'm building drivers for clients, I'm adding weight to get them to the 200g mark. While Ping may not be the loudest brand at the table, they don't hide who they are what they are about. You're acting as if Ping has been lacking the last few years. The G400 was a great series (fairways not so much)... G410 was a great series... now we are at G425. The fairways and hybrids are phenomenal and the drivers are great but may not be everyones cup of tea.

You also have to look at the taking to the G425 drivers on Tour. Jason Day put one in play this week along with quite a few other non contracted players. It's a good club, but it does need to be dialed in to open it up.
I said their gear is good. I’m questioning if it couldn’t be even better - even more forgiving - if they used now common techniques to save weight and redistribute it. (the head weight wouldn’t go down, it would just be situated differently)

I said their gear is good. I’m questioning if it couldn’t be even better - even more forgiving - if they used now common techniques to save weight and redistribute it. (the head weight wouldn’t go down, it would just be situated differently)

I would venture to guess they have thought about it. At the end of the day, it's not about having the most "tech" as it is about performance. If Ping feels they are on the right track, the numbers need to back it up. I'd say they are off to a fairly good start with the G425 line. Grabbing the attention of quite a few PGA players. That's not the bar I set though. From my personal experience in fittings with the G425 line, it can hang with the others in total performance. It may not win ball speed like I've said before but it will still be in the mix with almost every driver fitting I'll do this year.

I’d be amazed if a company like Ping would not release a driver with a carbon crown if results were that noticeable. Distance sells. If any of the top companies were leaving anything in the design room floor, I’d be amazed. I’m not the most qualified to speak, as I see a lot of these innovations as marketing bs, but with regards to Ping not being the most innovative company out there (despite inventing the most copied golf club ever), I’d see them as a company that develop new technologies that work, and stick with them. Dragonfly and turbulators have been on the last 3 releases now (despite turbulators seemingly being a love or hate feature). As an example, take Callaway’s XR16 (I use this club as an example because I had one). They worked with Boeing supposedly on that little aerodynamic bump. How long did that last.

Maybe a carbon crown is being worked on for the next release? They've made meaningful improvements in the G425 lineup....higher MOI in the max and a moveable weight, LST spins even less now while being more forgiving as well. Instead of throwing ALL the bells and whistles into this year's release, maybe they're saving it for the next model.

It's always a slippery slope though if you're holding back innovative features for future releases, and my gut says Ping wouldn't play that kind of game. So my guess is the G425 series did not require the carbon crown to perform, or it even detracted from the design features they were going for. Maybe dragonfly/turbulator tech doesn't work as well with carbon.

To expand on that the explanation from Marty to the THPers was they struggled with the bonding aspect and while they agree with the weight savings they are not ready to go back to it yet.
Quoting this for some from the source information, for those who night have missed it.

Didn’t know that. But, also not surprised. I had issues with 2 different early Callaway carbon drivers. Both of them the bonding broke down. Obviously Callaway and other OEMs have found a way to improve on it.

Hit the irons today and the Crossover. The Crossover was nice but not something I’d game because I like hybrids so much. The G425 is essentially unchanged to me. Not a bad thing, just wouldn’t make a purchase from a G410 unless I wanted to change looks. It does look better. The Hybrid is a beast. 225yds carry on a 4H is long for me. Felt nice as well.

Played a simulator round with a friend of mine today. Ping is the only oem that has new demos at my club as of right now. For the sake of trying something new, we plugged in my friends hzrdus green 60tx and both used it through the round.

My first shot, I crushed the ball. I know it was hammered because it made my ear ring for a while after, lol. It’s loud. That’s no surprise and I knew that going in. The space is not conducive for good acoustics. It’s and old bag room with block walls and concrete floor. It’s going to make everything louder. By the end of the round, the sound was a non issue. Got used to it and thought nothing of it after a few shots. In fact, when you center it, it sounds really powerful.

I wish I could give some numbers. But, the sim just doesn’t like me I guess. It regularly tells me I’m in the 200-800 rpm range. And that’s on some very good contact. The pro says I’m the only one that seems to get bad readings. Can only go off of feel. It feels a little on the hollow side. But, feels really powerful at the same time. It has a bigger footprint than what I’m used to. But it looks pretty neutral. With it set in the flat -1 setting it looked really neutral.

Since I can’t get valid numbers I can’t compare the performance unfortunately.

I think I was at that event for that Q&A... The answer to that question was underwhelming...

• Appreciation
Reactions: KEV
I hit the G425 LST driver today. 92mph CHS, 136mph balls speed and a nice draw. Sounded like a typical Ping driver to me, on the louder side but that has never bothered me with their drivers. I sets up nicely behind the ball and had a good feel to it. This is another driver I want to hit outside come Springtime.

I hit the G425 LST driver today. 92mph CHS, 136mph balls speed and a nice draw. Sounded like a typical Ping driver to me, on the louder side but that has never bothered me with their drivers. I sets up nicely behind the ball and had a good feel to it. This is another driver I want to hit outside come Springtime.
Nice smash factor there 1.47 👍

I haven't hit a ball since late December - funerals, bad weather, was ill, and then more work. But had a lesson today.

I am playing the G400 Max 9 deg with a TPT Red 17 low kick shaft.

Instructor had several Ping 425 heads on hand. Before I get to that, after an hour of working on the swing with irons, we tested TPT Red Prototype fairway shafts - tremendous, lively, launchers in the lighter shafts. They are getting more prototypes in for the 18 and 19 series. I was hitting the 20 and 21 - and my 3 wood was launching high, high. So I may need more weight.

425 Driver -- he put a 425 9 deg and 10.5 deg in my hands with a TPT Red shaft AND the Auto Flex Shaft.

I was hitting out of a huge open garage bay to an outside range - it was 70F with 25 mph winds.

Sound - in comparison with the 400 Max, the 425 has a more ear piercing sound - no, it is not pleasant but would not bother me as much if if was straighter or longer -- BUT it was not. The G400 Max performs just as well for me. Of course, after 3 yrs, the G400 head is probably flexing more. My instructor said we will try another shaft combo later.

Oh, the Auto Flex did nothing for me. In fact, ball speed was lower with it. Even with my smooth, 92 mph swing, I could feel it flex. It felt a little dull in comparison with the TPT Red.

The Mizuno Z and Epic Speed/Max are next ... Maybe the TSi2 - I'm a wild man...

Last edited:
The G425 lineup arrived at my local PGA Superstore today. Spent a while hitting everything from the crossover to the driver. Really enjoyed the hybrid and 3-wood - hit both the Max and LST, preferred the Max. I also enjoyed the stock shaft options including the Rogue White 130 and Tensei Pro Orange.

The crossover was disappointing for me having recently hit the Srixon ZX utility. Very clicky and performance was merely okay. Much preferred the ZX and the G425 Hybrids.

Tried both the Max and LST drivers with the Rogue 70x shaft (9* for both). Still have the signature Ping sound and feel. Having previously gamed the G400 Max for a couple years, I personally didn't think the sound has changed that much from G400/G410, but it was hard to be sure in a hitting bay. I also found the Max to sit closed at address (not the case for my old max). Knocking the loft down to the small minus opened it up a bit and sat more square, but still slightly closed. Didn't try going to the big minus but that would likely be perfectly square. Forgiveness was excellent and spin was staying in the low 2Ks for me. Also very accurate for me, with the distance I was missing on the old Max (due to higher spin).

LST looked better behind the ball, more of a players shape, and actually sat square at address for me without loft adjustment (same story for the 3 wood). Launch and spin were nearly identical to the Max (at small minus loft), but understandably less forgiving. For me, the new Max is a strickly better version of the LST with the additional forgiveness and no real loss in performance.

I'd still like some more time to test out the 10.5* Max head at the large minus loft (9*) and test out some of the other shaft options, but so far signs point to this being another fantastic driver by Ping. I also really enjoyed the woods/hybrids. I could easily see myself gaming a full Ping wood setup this year, but will likely wait a few more weeks to see if there are any other contenders.

just tried the g425 max for the first time today and I agree with the comment above that it looks closed at address for me as well. curious why others don’t have that same comment. That said, after a few hits, I really felt like I was getting great contact compared to my sim max, with good dispersion. Might need to try the tensei shaft. The sim max 2 was going right for me, which I never saw with my max.

Back