Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

You said your i20's are Black dot? Is that lie angle more upright than what was on your Mizzie's? That could explain the random case of the lefties. I'm also pretty sure that the standard length of the i20's might be a little shorter than other "standard" lengths, which could also effect that ball flight.

I'm mostly thinking out loud here buddy.

Green dot. And my i20s are def longer than my MX200s.

Well, I would agree normally since I had s300 in the Mizunos, but the draws and hooks started with the Mizunos last month. Its got to be the swing? No?

I would think it would have to be the swing. I will say this though, as one who always played a consistently straight to slight fade with irons, I did experience the "draws" w/ the 20's when I first got them. I do believe it takes a little time to adjust to that D0 Swing Weight.

I would think it would have to be the swing. I will say this though, as one who always played a consistently straight to slight fade with irons, I did experience the "draws" w/ the 20's when I first got them. I do believe it takes a little time to adjust to that D0 Swing Weight.

could be the swingweight, as you suggest. i have never paid attention to that

could be the swingweight, as you suggest. i have never paid attention to that

Well I don't want to put it in your brain buddy that's for sure. I hope you see some great success with these sticks.

If I can hit these, anyone can........lol. Like I said, it does take some time to get use to the lighter clubs but when you do, it will make you wonder why you haven't played them before.

Anyone else game these at d2 or heavier? Thinking about having ping wrx do it, in a swing change and just killing it with the scor wedges d3 also doing great 5 iron and up, I like feeling the clubhead better. Struggling not t dump leverage on mid irons
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Mine have DG S300's with the swingweight bumped up to D4. For me, the combination of CFS shafts and D0 was horrible.

My handicap is down almost 3 strokes since I made the switch to i20s, so they're definitely working for me.

I'd suggest doing a little experimenting by adding a strip or two of lead tape to the back, covering the CTP port, to see if you like it before sending them off to :ping:

mine are CFS D2 though they are +1/2" so Ping probably didn't change the head weight itself from the std length. I like the D2 and would do the same if ordering again.

Anyone else game these at d2 or heavier? Thinking about having ping wrx do it, in a swing change and just killing it with the scor wedges d3 also doing great 5 iron and up, I like feeling the clubhead better. Struggling not t dump leverage on mid irons

mine are CFS D2 though they are +1/2" so Ping probably didn't change the head weight itself from the std length. I like the D2 and would do the same if ordering again.

Same thing for me, +1/2 over for a 'd2' swing weight. I can't say I can tell a weight difference vs my old clubs
until holes 17 and 18.

I tap, therefore I am

Hmm, so just adding the +1/2" takes it to D2?
I have green dot hard stepped once +1/2". I guess I'm D2?

Also, playing a round for the first time with them in a scramble, tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Hmm, so just adding the +1/2" takes it to D2?
I have green dot hard stepped once +1/2". I guess I'm D2?

Also, playing a round for the first time with them in a scramble, tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Unless you asked for an adjustment in swing weight back to D0, I believe you should be at D2.

So cool stuff yesterday, I leave for a 3 day weekend and come back to find out that both my Dad and Uncle have ordered/traded for sets of I20s. My uncle was playing Adams CMBs for all of 3 weeks and ordered himself a set of i20s with CFS stiffs. He then traded his CMBs in and got a 2nd set of I20s, which my Dad then bought from him. They have been wanting to go back to Ping for years but didn't like any of it enough until they saw my I20s.

It'll be funny the next weekend we play seeing nothing but Ping Irons in the bag; we haven't hit the same irons since the glory days of ISI's and Eye2's back when I was in Junior High haha.

Didn't get to hit many iron shots this wknd at the outing. When I did they delivered. 5 iron got me closest to pin and put a couple THP bucks in my pocket. Caught it a little thin and it still delivered. I recall pulling a couple iron shots. Other than that if the i20s got out to play I scored well on the hole.

Mine came at D0 but I used lead tape to get them to D2. I asked Ping how much to change the swing weight and the said, $30. That's $30 per club. I'm now considering other options.

Well, played 14 holes with them today. Daylight ran out on us on a beautiful day. 80 here today.
I must say, they felt pretty awesome (not forged awesome though ;))
I struck the ball well today, which was a surprise seeing how my "lefts" have been plaguing me. My irons didn't really do much left today. They were pretty straight. My driver and hybrids on the other hand...

Anyway, my first 4i was a great feeling/result. Struck it beautifully. I really like the +1/2" on these for me. I like to choke down a bit and was unable to on my Mx200s and these allow me to, to feel more control.

The electric blue Lamkin RELs sure look good on them too. Need more time with them, and I am running out of nice weather/daylight.

Good to be in the club. I will be for some time.

I keep coming back to the i20s. I started my lessons, and went back to playing my Mizuno blades, just worked better for me. In fact, I felt so comfortable with them that I had made up mind just to get newer (ie; not 14 year old tech) Mizzy blades or maybe the MP63s.

Then I hit the i20 again. This iron just works for me. They feel great, at impact an through the swing. But, I can be stubborn and told my self to wait and try the Mizzys again later. The other day I was demoing the MP63 and 59, good but not great. I noticed a set of used i20s with CFS R shafts on the rack so I gave them a go. Wow, felt so much better, I was making much better contact, and could really feel them release into the ball. I think I have almost put the forged feels better than cast argument out of my head. And the i20 still looks great at set up. Other than you can see the cavity just peeking out on the 5 and 4 irons. The used set are at a great price, but black dot. I had them double check my lie measurement, and I really need orange, maybe purple. The salesman and the club tech said that could not be bent. I thought that I read here that Pings can be adjusted for lie, but they said to risky for cast. So I walked on the good deal, will have to keep saving and waiting.

I say almost on the forged vs cast thing because I also like the the Adams CMB. I am hitting them very well too, maybe a little better than the i20. I think it might have more to do with the C Taper shaft than the club head. I was able to hit the i20 4 iron since it was used, and hit it well, better than my Miz 4 iron, or the two 4 hybrids I have. I bet better than I can hit the CMB 4 too. Guess I need to try an i20 in orange dot with the C Taper. Pretty sure it's the shafts because I also hit the CMB with the KBS Tour R and the DG R300. The CT was by far the best feel and results.

I keep coming back to the i20s. I started my lessons, and went back to playing my Mizuno blades, just worked better for me. In fact, I felt so comfortable with them that I had made up mind just to get newer (ie; not 14 year old tech) Mizzy blades or maybe the MP63s.

Then I hit the i20 again. This iron just works for me. They feel great, at impact an through the swing. But, I can be stubborn and told my self to wait and try the Mizzys again later. The other day I was demoing the MP63 and 59, good but not great. I noticed a set of used i20s with CFS R shafts on the rack so I gave them a go. Wow, felt so much better, I was making much better contact, and could really feel them release into the ball. I think I have almost put the forged feels better than cast argument out of my head. And the i20 still looks great at set up. Other than you can see the cavity just peeking out on the 5 and 4 irons. The used set are at a great price, but black dot. I had them double check my lie measurement, and I really need orange, maybe purple. The salesman and the club tech said that could not be bent. I thought that I read here that Pings can be adjusted for lie, but they said to risky for cast. So I walked on the good deal, will have to keep saving and waiting.

I say almost on the forged vs cast thing because I also like the the Adams CMB. I am hitting them very well too, maybe a little better than the i20. I think it might have more to do with the C Taper shaft than the club head. I was able to hit the i20 4 iron since it was used, and hit it well, better than my Miz 4 iron, or the two 4 hybrids I have. I bet better than I can hit the CMB 4 too. Guess I need to try an i20 in orange dot with the C Taper. Pretty sure it's the shafts because I also hit the CMB with the KBS Tour R and the DG R300. The CT was by far the best feel and results.

I have adjust mine by as much as 4 degrees twice now. Once when I first got them and again after I corrected a huge posture issue with an instructor. Granted the hosel on the PW broke the second time, but the tech said he has done ping for years and never had one snap because they are easier to bend than most. 4 days later he had a replacement club for me from Ping with my serial number. Anyway I guess there is always a risk to break one, but you can have someone who knows what they are doing work on them or Ping can also do it for a fee. Either way we did the fitting on the new one after it came in from Ping and adjust it about 2 degrees also with no further issues.

I noticed you were not far from DFW, If you go to Lou's golf shop in carrolton, TX. He always has used sets you can test and its only 20 bucks to get you lie done if you buy the set there. Give them a call and see what he has in stock before you drive out or see if he can do the set for you. By far the best trade in place in DFW area--you can leave a credit card and go play a used set if you like before you buy.

Update on my Change to Ctapers.

I went with S+ and I just love the way they feel now. I do have to add that I completed the Scor set through PW, so now gaming 4 Scor Wedges, But still love the 9-3 irons with the C tapers.

On another note I shot my personal best today 75 on a par 70 course. Granted allot of that is the work with an instructor (slicefixer), but the pings are just feeling great!

I have adjust mine by as much as 4 degrees twice now. Once when I first got them and again after I corrected a huge posture issue with an instructor. Granted the hosel on the PW broke the second time, but the tech said he has done ping for years and never had one snap because they are easier to bend than most. 4 days later he had a replacement club for me from Ping with my serial number. Anyway I guess there is always a risk to break one, but you can have someone who knows what they are doing work on them or Ping can also do it for a fee. Either way we did the fitting on the new one after it came in from Ping and adjust it about 2 degrees also with no further issues.

I noticed you were not far from DFW, If you go to Lou's golf shop in carrolton, TX. He always has used sets you can test and its only 20 bucks to get you lie done if you buy the set there. Give them a call and see what he has in stock before you drive out or see if he can do the set for you. By far the best trade in place in DFW area--you can leave a credit card and go play a used set if you like before you buy.

Thanks for the info and help. I was sure I had read or been told that Pings are easy to bend. I will check out Lou's. I forgot about that place. I bought a Ping driver there 15 years ago. I was even on the south side of Lewisville earlier today, not far to Frankford Rd from there.

I was throwing i20 long iron DARTS today in the wind playing from the tips.

Love is the biggest understatement of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My GIR just keep going up with the i20's. Went out for 18 holes after work yesterday day and hit 11/18 GIR's. This has been something I have been struggling with for a while. 3 rounds in with the i20's and my GIR just keep going up. Great irons!

Still loving these babies. Hit my 5-iron off the tee a lot. Really love it! Still wondering what to get between my 5-iron and 3-wood. i20 4 iron, g20 4 iron, g20 hybrid or i20 hybrid. Don't get me started ons shafts ;).

Also use my i20 wedge for chip and pitch shots a lot. I'm very comfortable with it now, favorite club in the bag!

Have to say i'm beginning to see some wear on the clubs, paintbladder on the letter W etc, but as long as the face is clean I don't worry too much about that.

Last edited:
Still surprised when I miss how little I get hurt. Forgiveness is ridiculous.

Starting at really hit these well. My setup change has made a huge difference with my ball striking. I still need to work on my setup direction but it is getting better. I shot a 77 yesterday, my best score in a while.

Starting at really hit these well. My setup change has made a huge difference with my ball striking. I still need to work on my setup direction but it is getting better. I shot a 77 yesterday, my best score in a while.
Nice round Dave. Have you seen your GIR's going up as well?

Back