Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Just ordered my set on Monday. I was torn between G and I. I ultimately went with the I for lower ball flight (hopefully) and more feedback. First post here and new to the THP. Look forward to interacting with others here.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Not sure If Ive ever got "players iron" performance from any of my irons but I know Ive seen some fantastic results from the i20's. Id even dare say they've enhanced my iron play and quite a bit. The results have been what I was hoping to see after hitting the 7 iron so many times in the store.

Yeah, didn't know how else to word it. I recall playing irons with pinhead sized sweet spots, that's all I had available back then. The i20s remind me of the rare times I hit that pinhead sweet spot. Nice flight with lift and spinny landing. Also seems like I have far more control of my shots. Recent irons I've played just hit bombs at the green.

Just ordered my set on Monday. I was torn between G and I. I ultimately went with the I for lower ball flight (hopefully) and more feedback. First post here and new to the THP. Look forward to interacting with others here.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard my man! You made a wise decision. Can't wait to hear about your feedback with them.

Good point here, Griff. the 2.0s and some others were just too unpredictable sometimes. Although I'll occasionally really flush one of the i20s and go a bit long, I'm not flyign greens (or hitting 20 yards left or right).

Seen numerous people say they are seeing big distance gains over their previous setup. Everything is pretty average for me. 150y 7I w 10y gaps give or take 5 yards based on conditions.

I've basically clubbed one down from the Redlines. Most obvious reason is the i20s have weaker lofts. When I have the Redlines in hand and flex them with my fingers at various points in the shaft they are far more flexible than the PX 5.0 graphite. The Redline shaft is also a touch lighter than the PX. I need to make a post in the PX graphite thread.

Take all that into consideration and I am very pleased with the distances I get with the i20s. What's more important is the consistency of the distance. No more hot 6I's that go 180 yards and blow the green.

Damaikis, just curious: what don't you like about the look of them and what are you comparing to? From address, do they really look that different from the R9s or do you mean in the bag or maybe longer irons being a bit thick? Not being Ping defensive, just interested because I can see that compared to some really sessy blades or something as I would say one thing I would like is just a touch thinner topline if I could do that without trade offs, but don't understand otherwise.

I love keeping tabs on how everyone loves these so far. I need to find a time and place to hit them. I just can't get over the look of Ping irons. Just not for me.

So griff, you've seen the fat shots decrease huh? Do you attribute that to the smaller sole or sharper leading edge compared to stuff you've had in the past?

I think it's club length. When I hit it fat in the past the club wouldn't get through or I'd bring up a beaver pelt. Everything in the past was standard length, even through fittings. Wasn't until recently, with help, that I figured out I need shorter sticks.

Sole is a big deal as well. When I compare it to the Redline iron, my most recent set, it doesn't seem to be dramatically sharper. i20 does have some nice soft edges. Sole is much more bulbous on the Redline, sure. But where the club meets the ground the i20 has that little relief under the lead edge that seems to help a lot. Smaller profile is a Godsend. Really wide soles work against me.

Closest recent comparison would be my MX200's which seem to be out on permanent loan. I dug with that club really easily at times....lower bounce, less soft edges.

Hmmm. This is my first over length set as I was fitted to +1/2" (actually static fit was white dot, +1/4" but the Ping fitter liked green dot +1/4" better for me ont he range). I do notice an occasional fat shot with these so far that was nonexistant before. Hoping it is just an adjustment after 20 years of standard length...off topic: anybody else go through a transition with first set of over length clubs??

I think it's club length. When I hit it fat in the past the club wouldn't get through or I'd bring up a beaver pelt. Everything in the past was standard length, even through fittings. Wasn't until recently, with help, that I figured out I need shorter sticks.

Sole is a big deal as well. When I compare it to the Redline iron, my most recent set, it doesn't seem to be dramatically sharper. i20 does have some nice soft edges. Sole is much more bulbous on the Redline, sure. But where the club meets the ground the i20 has that little relief under the lead edge that seems to help a lot. Smaller profile is a Godsend. Really wide soles work against me.

Closest recent comparison would be my MX200's which seem to be out on permanent loan. I dug with that club really easily at times....lower bounce, less soft edges.

Hmmm, it goes to show it goes both ways, for me I'm one of those who has also seen gains. They are one club longer than my J40's and legitimately as long as my 2.0's were as well. I'm quite the happy boy lol

I'm in the same category as you Jman. I just played the i20's for the first time on the course. It wasn't a great swing day for me so they didn't get the testing I would have liked. I was tinkering with my 910 D2 setup and it really ballsed up my driving. Lesson learned: DO NOT TINKER!

So how did the i20's fare? I hit a good drive down the first, leaving me 140 from the pin, so i excitedly took my PW out of the bag dying to see how it performed on the turf and I thinned it so badly. I might say at this point that these clubs are a 1/2" shorter than my previous set so it's going to take a little bit of time to get used to this, hence the thin shot. I never thin shots.

No iron played on the 2nd

On the par 5 third, I hit a good drive and decided to play safe up the fairway to leave me a 60-70yd chip. 210 to the bunkers so I went with a 4i to lay me up short. I hit this 4i well and found myself in the bunker! 210 with a 4i? Yipes. My shot shape with a 4i before used to tail off badly for me with my mp52's. This faded a little at the end but a much more boring trajectory and nice height. I was impressed. Nice feeling off the club face too.

Par 3 third next. I lasered to 176yds and went with a 6i. I hit it badly off the toe and ended up in the front bunker. Poor shot. Poor swing. I should have been 50yds short with the contact i had, but i only lost about 15yds.

No iron played on the next.

par 5 up next and the less said about that hole the better. Move on (lost my ball after a poor drive, just hacked after that).

A tasty par 3 was up next. Index 18 but its my bogey hole. I ALWAYS pull my shot 20yds right and into the bunker. ALWAYS. 148 to the pin. I went with a 9i. I hit it pure and it never left the pin. It felt awesome. It landed over the pin about 25ft from the hole. PW was the club. It's going to take me a while to get used to increased yardages.

Index 1, long par 4 came next. After a great drive I had 178 to pin so I selected a 6i. I could't have hit this club better. Straight true flight. It never deviated from where I aimed. I'm used to a soft fade so I aimed left, but this went true and straight. How shocked was I to see it land at the back of the green, meaning i hit it 189yds. My 6i on my best swinging day went 175. The distance on these clubs are crazy.

I won't go through every hole but the clubs went where I aimed them and God they felt so good when you hit them well. The sweetspot feels larger than on my mp52. There is a satisfying 'thwack' sound off the face and after being used to Mizuno forged feel, I have to say I almost prefer this feeling. It's solid yet buttery. Hard to describe. Niiiice probably sums it up. The turf interaction is very good too. I am a digger. I mean CAT machine digger. My divots are after the ball but deep and big. The sole on the i20 is shallowing out my divots. I like that a lot.

I will mention my best shot of the day. Par 3 over water. To the pin it was 183. Elevated tee-box. I knew from experience that this doesn't play 183 so I went with a 7i. I hit it so so so so pure. It just went laser straight at the pin and landed about 5ft short of the pin and kicked forward about a foot. The 7i is coming to bed with me tonight :)

Poor scoring day but not the i20's fault. My driver tinkering punished me badly. That and being really stupid on a couple of holes. The weather didn't help either. It was blustery, a little wet and then we got caught in a lighting and hail storm on the 8th hole. We had to wait 20 mins for the hailstones to start melting so we could putt. This really messed up my round and score. I'm out again tomorrow evening so I'm hoping to give these guys a sterner test then.

Last edited:

I had the same issue as you Griff. Nice description - 'beaver pelt'. That's how I would have described my divots when i attacked an iron shot. My club fitter said my irons were a 1/2" too long. I think the shorter shaft (standard length) plus the sole and lead edge relief on my i20's is shallowing out my divot nicely. I never got 'stuck' in the turf with these. They just slide through it really nicely. I hope it continues that way, both for my game and also the groundskeepers sake.

I had the same issue as you Griff. Nice description - 'beaver pelt'. That's how I would have described my divots when i attacked an iron shot. My club fitter said my irons were a 1/2" too long. I think the shorter shaft (standard length) plus the sole and lead edge relief on my i20's is shallowing out my divot nicely. I never got 'stuck' in the turf with these. They just slide through it really nicely. I hope it continues that way, both for my game and also the groundskeepers sake.

Nice writeup above this PF.

Hopefully, seeing how well we are all doing with the i20s will encourage people to get fit and use Ping WRX.

Nice writeup above this PF.

Hopefully, seeing how well we are all doing with the i20s will encourage people to get fit and use Ping WRX.

Thanks Griff. Fitting is the only way to go. It doesn't matter what your handicap is. Knowing you are swinging clubs that are fitted for you and your swing only breeds confidence.

Well, I'm here to say that I pulled the trigger today. After getting fitted I went with:

5-PW
Yellow Dot
1" long
Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts
Golf Pride multi-compound grips

Ping said I should have them by the end of next week.

Let the waiting game begin. Ugh!!

NICE! I reckon you've been in this thread as much as anyone. Can't wait for you to get them buddy.

Well, I'm here to say that I pulled the trigger today. After getting fitted I went with:

5-PW
Yellow Dot
1" long
Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts
Golf Pride multi-compound grips

Ping said I should have them by the end of next week.

Let the waiting game begin. Ugh!!

Congrats!

Plan is range tomorrow and golf Friday since mother-in-law is in town to help with baby.

formerly butters35

Thanks guys. I'm super stoked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'm super stoked!

Awesome pick up Scott. I have the same 5-PW in the black dot and the one negative thing I will say is now I want the 4i and the UW.

Awesome pick up Scott. I have the same 5-PW in the black dot and the one negative thing I will say is now I want the 4i and the UW.

4I is hard to beat. Those SCORs should play nice with the i20s.

The 4i is definitely an amazing club. So is the 3i!

4I is hard to beat. Those SCORs should play nice with the i20s.

They do work quite well. I'm super happy with my iron and wedge set up.

I hit these in a GG sim the other night after 9 holes and I certainly saw distance gains, but so much I had to question the sim. I aint gonna lie though, I was likin' what I saw.

I hit my 7i MX200 150 yards now. I was hitting standard black dot 7i with S CFS 164 on average. I hit 70 balls. That is a large gain and would be the furthest 7i I have hit, if true.

Sounds good, but will I have to re-learn all my distances? Guess so. Man, I hope I get a set for fathers day.

I have followed your guys' reviews from post 1 and read how you guys like the 4 iron. You guys have been spot on and transparent with your reviews, and I for one, appreciate that. So, I'm sure what you say is true regarding the 4 iron.

I play 3 and 4 hybrids but am hoping to order the 4 iron in a month or so. I barely got clearance from The Tower to get the 5-PW. :)

Hmmm. This is my first over length set as I was fitted to +1/2" (actually static fit was white dot, +1/4" but the Ping fitter liked green dot +1/4" better for me ont he range). I do notice an occasional fat shot with these so far that was nonexistant before. Hoping it is just an adjustment after 20 years of standard length...off topic: anybody else go through a transition with first set of over length clubs??

I can go back to my first Ping fitting with G10. I hit several fat shots cause my swing was years of using std clubs. My online and shop fitting was for +1/2 but I ordered std.

I have been avoiding this thread to convince myself that I don't want these. But it isnt working very well. Here is my big question (TC hoping you can weigh in on this): do you think that I (6 handicap) can reasonably expect to hit 2 more GIRs per round with these?

I have been avoiding this thread to convince myself that I don't want these. But it isnt working very well. Here is my big question (TC hoping you can weigh in on this): do you think that I (6 handicap) can reasonably expect to hit 2 more GIRs per round with these?

I'm not TC but I would say it depends. How many do you usually hit now? When you miss, what's usually the reason?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Thanks for the response COLT. I wasn't mentioning TC because I was uninterested in what you have to say. I have seen TC play so I have a barometer. My mishits are usually from slight off center contact. I hit 54% of GIRs.

I'm not TC but I would say it depends. How many do you usually hit now? When you miss, what's usually the reason?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Back