Pretty sure I am in the wrong ball

JeffReedMO

Banned
Reaction score
I have been playing the Srixon Q-Star since its induction and I really have no gripes with it, but I have been hitting the ball a little less straight and it seems I have lost a bit of distance. I have a driver SS of 105-110 and I am wondering if I may be going after it a little more than the Q-Star can handle. Budget is of course an issue, so paying $45 for a dozen of golf balls is out of the question.

I have been researching the Stone e6 and it seems like it may be a little bit better of a ball for my higher SS and the greenside spin is said to be comparable to the ProV1's. Does anyone have any feedback on the e6? Likes? Dislikes? Is it a better ball than the Q-Star?

Thanks!

I have been playing the Srixon Q-Star since its induction and I really have no gripes with it, but I have been hitting the ball a little less straight and it seems I have lost a bit of distance. I have a driver SS of 105-110 and I am wondering if I may be going after it a little more than the Q-Star can handle. Budget is of course an issue, so paying $45 for a dozen of golf balls is out of the question.

I have been researching the Stone e6 and it seems like it may be a little bit better of a ball for my higher SS and the greenside spin is said to be comparable to the ProV1's. Does anyone have any feedback on the e6? Likes? Dislikes? Is it a better ball than the Q-Star?

Thanks!
I play the e6, and like it a good bit. It's a very good ball for the price, and I have found that for me it is easy to compress and offers great feel for my short game.

My suggestion though is to get fit for a ball through Bridgestone.

It's easy to do, just click here; http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/bfit

Jeff, at the top of this page is a Bridgestone Banner ad. Tomorrow, click it and go to Ball fittings and have a chat with some of the guys with Bridgestone's BFit Program. Tell them what you're gaming, what you're looking for, etc.....You'll learn a ton from those guys.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried the QStar yet so I can't really comment buddy.

I play the e6, and like it a good bit. My suggestion though is to get fit for a ball through Bridgestone.

It's easy to do, just click here; http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/bfit

Based off my input, Bridgestone recommended the e6. I am in the Mid-Missouri and golf stores are hard to find, let alone custom fitting, so I kind of have to make my decisions off of feedback on the net forums and online fitting. I am probably going to pick up a dozen and give 'em a whirl.

Listen to War Eagle, do a fitting.

Jeff, at the top of this page is a Bridgestone Banner ad. Tomorrow, click it and go to Ball fittings and have a chat with some of the guys with Bridgestone's BFit Program. Tell them what you're gaming, what you're looking for, etc.....You'll learn a ton from those guys.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried the QStar yet so I can't really comment buddy.

Yeah, helping the mother move tomorrow all day, so talking golf balls isn't on the agenda or I would for sure check that out. Good looking out though!

I think the Q-star and e6 are similar balls, if you don't like the Qstar there is a good chance you won't like the e6 either. I have a SS similar to yours, and balls I like in that price range are the e5 and Gamer V2. Another option I have taken advantage of lately, You can buy Nike One Tour or One Tour D for 15 bucks a dozen from clubsandsticks.com.

I have a similar SS to yours (avg. 108) and I game the E6 (great helping drives fly straighter) when my driving game is off, and when I'm on point I game the B330S (buy used in bucket of 50)
Both balls are very durable, I have some that show very minor wear after a round. Great durable ball, good for multiple rounds.

The Q-Star is not really geared towards that SS. Try the Z-Star if you get a chance. Keep a look out for the trial packs. 2 Sleeves for $20. Not too much of a discount, but at least you don't have to buy a dozen.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I am just going to have to get a variety of balls and take them to the course and see how I like them.

I would recommend a ball fitting. Like already pointed out, you can do a Bridgestone online fitting first, and then do a live fitting when they are in your area. I threw darts for years ball wise but finally had a live fitting and could not be happier.

I think the only thing that will happen when you hit a lower compression ball with a higher swing speed is that you will lose a little bit of distance, but you will also hit the ball much straighter. I play the B330-RX and I am just a touch shorter off the tee, but my misses when I don't completely close the face are much more manageable. You can't overcompress the ball (a quote from JB). Also, with a softer compression ball, you will notice an increase in your iron distance. The RX just seems to jump off the face of my irons.

If you can, I would try several balls. the RX, Burner Tour or dialbo tour (I think that is what it is called). Fairways and greens are sexier than long drives.

Thanks!

Your ss is about what mine is and I have had some good rounds with the e5. It plays about equal for me to a Penta as a cheaper option, as is the MacGregor VIP. All three feel, fly and spin about the same, the e5 a little less spin than the other two.

My SS is a bit lower than yours but I have been using the E6 for the last few months and got tired of the amount of rollout I was getting on my approach shots. I tried the Q Star and felt it stopped much better than the E6. Personally I think the QStar is superior but my SS is within their target. Whoever said an E6 stops like a ProV is likely smoking the good stuff so take their advice with a grain of salt. I would suggest trying the entire E series, one of those is bound to feel just right.

and the greenside spin is said to be comparable to the ProV1's. Thanks!
The e6 is a great ball but you won't get that kind of spin.

The e6 is a great ball but you won't get that kind of spin.

I agree. I play the B330RX 99% of the time and get ProV spin from them. I play the e6 a little and while it is not as spinny for me, I might hit it slightly farther but not alot. Both are great balls.

Bridgestone emailed me this morning and said based off the information I provided them, they recommend the B330RX. I am going to pick up a dozen and see what I think of them. Their online, do it yourself fitter, recommended me the e6.

Back