PXG Rumored To Have Signed 5 in Top 50

Has Ryan Moore ever found clubs he likes? I swear every time I see his WITB there's something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZJ is a surprise for me for sure. He's done pretty well on tour so I'm very interested to see if this helps/hurts his success.

This does absolutely zero to make me want to try PXG gear.

Lastly, from what I've read about Parsons and his personality it would seem that ZJ is exactly the opposite personality wise. Have to wonder if this is all about ZJ getting paid.

this is exactly what I was thinking. Coming off The Open Championship you would think he could have more mainstream OEM's wanting to sign him. He isn't the flashiest, longest off the tee, most athletic, but he is consistent and that gets him decent TV time and exposure.

I've read the write ups and gear works. I also recall reading on here the last time THP visited with Cobra, TO said the gear technology wise is the only one to get it right. that says a lot IMO and might be why the players are gravitating towards PXG. Sure the money helps and is probably the number one driver, but when these guys are as picky and dialed in with their gear it must be pretty good.

this is exactly what I was thinking. Coming off The Open Championship you would think he could have more mainstream OEM's wanting to sign him. He isn't the flashiest, longest off the tee, most athletic, but he is consistent and that gets him decent TV time and exposure.

I've read the write ups and gear works. I also recall reading on here the last time THP visited with Cobra, TO said the gear technology wise is the only one to get it right. that says a lot IMO and might be why the players are gravitating towards PXG. Sure the money helps and is probably the number one driver, but when these guys are as picky and dialed in with their gear it must be pretty good.

Its interesting how brand dynamics play a role here. I will use this example.
Top player goes to Nike, he sold out for the dollar.
Above average player goes to PXG, the gear must work.

Im not criticizing anybody here, but it is unique how our minds work.

I don't know dude. ZJ is quirky at best in my books. That he didn't put a putter in the bag shows you that there are limits, and clearly where he's picky.

Someone wants to sign me, I don't care if it's for even a bit more money, I'll probably take the guaranteed.

if it's possible to move the needle the opposite direction, then that's what this does for me. the price is a nonstarter for me, but i'd like to hit the gear because some early feedback from thp'ers sounds intriguing. but as far as tour presence garnering interest? this mishmash makes me less intrigued than if they'd never signed anybody.

I can chime in a little on Kirk since he uses the same teaching pro as my best friend... For him, money talks and that is part of the reasoning for this. His teaching pro (who also teaches Recari) has said overall their numbers for what they are looking for have been improved by these clubs and they are legit in his mind. What stands out to me from a technology standpoint is other than Horschel, none of these guys are exactly what I call bombers. They are all tactical type players that are patient and use their short game. Between the wedges and the irons being a bit longer from what I have heard, that fits the mold to help these players

I do have to admit seeing CHII with a Grandura in his driver makes me happy to see Grandura getting into some bags.

Its interesting how brand dynamics play a role here. I will use this example.
Top player goes to Nike, he sold out for the dollar.
Above average player goes to PXG, the gear must work.

Im not criticizing anybody here, but it is unique how our minds work.

No doubt Rory was clearly about being the top dog at Nike and a bridge from Tiger to a new and fresh face. The money for sure was the #1 motivating factor it seemed.

I know very little about PXG other than the owner is crazy rich and is throwing money around like Mayweather at a strip club. I mention the gear because the sentiment is if you can get past the looks, they have a design that works to achieve what they set out to do.

I don't know dude. ZJ is quirky at best in my books. That he didn't put a putter in the bag shows you that there are limits, and clearly where he's picky.

Someone wants to sign me, I don't care if it's for even a bit more money, I'll probably take the guaranteed.

With the odds on tour of winning one tournament, much less multiple or a major, I would also take the guaranteed money and not look back.

I can chime in a little on Kirk since he uses the same teaching pro as my best friend... For him, money talks and that is part of the reasoning for this. His teaching pro (who also teaches Recari) has said overall their numbers for what they are looking for have been improved by these clubs and they are legit in his mind. What stands out to me from a technology standpoint is other than Horschel, none of these guys are exactly what I call bombers. They are all tactical type players that are patient and use their short game. Between the wedges and the irons being a bit longer from what I have heard, that fits the mold to help these players

It's all about the tech. I'm surprised that a bladed iron can have an impact on distance, but can't wait to see why. maybe something to do with the screws and improving perimeter weighting? Not sure why that would help the guys hitting the center of the face, but it does leave me intrigued.

What PXG did was build a stable of players who have the capacity to compete at any given time. I don't think anyone is rushing out to demo because ZJ signed with them, but I do think their name being visible here and there will help to build a bit of intrigue. Now, whether the masses laugh at the prices when they do go to demo them (assuming any store carries them) is a totally different story.

PXG Rumored To Have Signed 5 in Top 50

It's a bit of a hodge podge, but you have to start somewhere I guess. Seems like they have each tour covered, and nobody that will be really controversial (ex. Vijay Singh with his deer antler spray at Hopkins). Am I curious to try the clubs, yes. Does this group make me more/less likely to try them, no, but then again I'm not sure any pro is swaying my interest in one club or another.

So what big names outside of DJ were available to be signed. Did they sign this bunch because it is what is left over? More power to this that signed but I just hope guys like ZJ and KK don't fall in their asses chasing the money.

I mean both have had great success with their previous bags. Billy better hope this works for him. His 15 minutes is almost up. I hope James does well and has immediate returns.

So what big names outside of DJ were available to be signed. Did they sign this bunch because it is what is left over? More power to this that signed but I just hope guys like ZJ and KK don't fall in their asses chasing the money.

I mean both have had great success with their previous bags. Billy better hope this works for him. His 15 minutes is almost up. I hope James does well and has immediate returns.

I am sure some other Free Agents were available but I am guessing it makes more sense for them to sign a few decent names and carry a staff of 5 guys then to sign a single guy to a big deal. I am sure guys like Koepka and DJ were just demanding too much for even Parsons.

I am sure some other Free Agents were available but I am guessing it makes more sense for them to sign a few decent names and carry a staff of 5 guys then to sign a single guy to a big deal. I am sure guys like Koepka and DJ were just demanding too much for even Parsons.

I'd love to know if Parsons actually had a number that was "too much"

I'm trying to think the last time a company came on the scene and immediately had a house of players that people could at least recall in some form or fashion. Would Adams have been the last??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all about the tech. I'm surprised that a bladed iron can have an impact on distance, but can't wait to see why. maybe something to do with the screws and improving perimeter weighting? Not sure why that would help the guys hitting the center of the face, but it does leave me intrigued.

What PXG did was build a stable of players who have the capacity to compete at any given time. I don't think anyone is rushing out to demo because ZJ signed with them, but I do think their name being visible here and there will help to build a bit of intrigue. Now, whether the masses laugh at the prices when they do go to demo them (assuming any store carries them) is a totally different story.

I was just reading about the tech, they're not a traditional blade it seems. The whole face is hollow and the inside is filled with a plastic polymer. I'd guess that's why they see a gain in distance. They do have the limited availability tour models that are true blades though, no mention of forgiveness in them though.

I agree 1000% about people not playing a particular brand because of who is on that company's tour staff. I never buy any clubs because of who plays that brand on tour. I think that's the case for most people also and I don't think anyone on tour lately has had that kind of presence since Tiger's glory days.

With this staff they do have a good chance of getting some buzz going, price point is going to hurt them though unless the price goes down over the next few years once they sell enough clubs to pay for the R&D.

Last edited:

I guess I'd want some serious exposure week in and week out. I see a big learning curve for the folks they signed. Hell Rory struggled with his switch and he was the best in the world. But maybe he isn't looking to sell to the general public and just a niche market.

I find it interesting that ZJ signed with PXG as Parson is such an over the top guy, where as ZJ seems to be the more reserved type of person. Perhaps ZJ doesn't have to interact with Parson all that much.

I personally feel that professional golfers are so on top of their game, that they could probably make any set of clubs work for them. Either way it'll be interesting to see how these players do with PXG and probably even more interesting to see how Parson will respond to any success these players have with their PXG gear.

Billy Horschel live on Periscope re: PXG

Maybe I'm alone in thinking that what pros play has zero bearing in the clubs I use, but I think it's a decent stable to start out with, and getting an 2-time major winner the season after he wins the Open is kind of a big deal, especially with it's a player who relies so heavily on his irons and short game like ZJ.

I do echo some relative discomfort that people might like the clubs until they discover the cost involved. Parsons can name his clubs after Marine enlisted MOS's, and that's all well & good, but no enlisted man I know can afford a bag of those sticks.

Still, I think he's doing the right thing by just making the big initial investment that increases the likelihood people will see his gear on network TV.

Solid stable. Seem to be solid clubs (never hit one.) Stupid business model.

Nobody is going to spend that type of money. It desn't matter who plays their clubs.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Now that everything is out in the open, i'm ready to see some of these golfers play some golf, and see if they do better... I'm assuming ZJ is playing this week in the Hyundai TOC..... I have to admit, i'm not likely to go out and buy these clubs, but if i saw them at a demo day, i'd definitely give them a shot to see if they are as intended.... Then the fact they are 3x the price of normal irons can come into play..

I guess it mean something to have a stable of players. I wonder who would have been there if the money had not been as good. These pros have the right to go to whatever brand they would like. Still, this reminds me of when Freddy went to Lynx several years ago.

Davis Love III also plays these clubs, though he's not on their staff.

Now that everything is out in the open, i'm ready to see some of these golfers play some golf, and see if they do better... I'm assuming ZJ is playing this week in the Hyundai TOC..... I have to admit, i'm not likely to go out and buy these clubs, but if i saw them at a demo day, i'd definitely give them a shot to see if they are as intended.... Then the fact they are 3x the price of normal irons can come into play..

agree with all of this

Back