You posted the policy. I am just referencing it. Absolutely nothing about anything you said. Sorry about that if you interpreted it that way.
You continued to reference Rahm, which was the confusing part. I was simply sharing their guidelines for another member.

At this point, I’d just like to see all restrictions and protocols lifted - go back to common sense. I’m vaccinated and if you chose not to be it doesn’t affect me. This gray area just makes it all that more confusing.
This is basically what I am trying to figure out. Why are some of their restrictions being lifted while ignoring others? It just doesn't make sense.

I don't see why a player out there solo (or at least out there with someone fully vaccinated respecting social distancing) is problematic for the tour.

My feedback isn't about them adhering to the rule, either - it's about being inconsistent. Why are fans treated differently? Are volunteers tested the same way? Why is it not one thing for all?

Money?
Optics?
I do think they should have a consistent voice and have similar requirements for the fans and the players. While you're not discussing adherence to the rule, I'm not sure how the PGA would address this situation retroactively once they had instituted the COVID rules for the players. They should be consistent nonetheless.

I do think they should have a consistent voice and have similar requirements for the fans and the players. While you're not discussing adherence to the rule, I'm not sure how the PGA would address this situation retroactively once they had instituted the COVID rules for the players. They should be consistent nonetheless.
Yeah, obviously not much they can do about it now, it was more of a reflection on how they could change one thing and not another.

It makes far more sense to remain consistent with their protocols. If not, this reads are "we'll protect our players but anyone showing up is making that decision for themselves"

Perhaps. Although the independent contractor aspect says otherwise. I would say the product is the tournament more than the players, as they come and go.

I agree. But no players no event.

They go hand and hand. You have to protect the players.. especially if you are the PGA not the specific event. They work very hard to protect their product and marketing the players in each event with commercials, PGA tour live, etc is all geared around the players. Even if they are independent contractors.. Try posting a video of a golfer on social media they think belongs to them.

but again. I don’t think the PGA win here. They looked bad. No matter how you look at it.

I agree. But no players no event.

They go hand and hand. You have to protect the players.. especially if you are the PGA not the specific event. They work very hard to protect their product and marketing the players in each event with commercials, PGA tour live, etc is all geared around the players. Even if they are independent contractors.. Try posting a video of a golfer on social media they think belongs to them.

Thats protecting their spend on production though, not really of the players, right?

Thats protecting their spend on production though, not really of the players, right?

yeah. I can agree with that. It feels kinda like saying the same thing in a different way, but sure.

Edit - I realized I am getting off topic there - sorry about that. I’ll delete if THP prefers.

You continued to reference Rahm, which was the confusing part. I was simply sharing their guidelines for another member.

This is basically what I am trying to figure out. Why are some of their restrictions being lifted while ignoring others? It just doesn't make sense.
Sorry for the confusion there.

Just coming back from Florida, I liked how it was handled there - open it all. There was never this uncomfortable “am I following procedures” kind of feeling like we had in Alabama where you walk into a hotel and every corner of it has signs posted “mask required for entry” yet the number of people wearing them was well within the single digits.

If you wear a mask and/or vaccinated/un-vaccinated, then who cares.

If we have another major outbreak, then we will deal with it. Although, based on daily numbers, I don’t see that happening. There may be an uptick but we are like 96% down in daily cases from the peak this past winter, so even if cases double, it’s minuscule when compared to winter. This tip toeing around restrictions and what is right or not right is just crazy.

Last edited:
Other professional leagues can control the fans, why is it so hard for the PGA to do so?

my only thought is no assigned seating being the difference.

At this point, I’d just like to see all restrictions and protocols lifted - go back to common sense. I’m vaccinated and if you chose not to be it doesn’t affect me. This gray area just makes it all that more confusing.
I agree - it should be common sense for both the players and spectators. Everybody knows enough to have formed an opinion one way or the other on it by now - take responsibility for yourself and make your decisions accordingly.

I'm not (and won't be) vaccinated, and I don't wear masks anywhere. If I go to an event with large crowds, 1) Obviously I'm not going anywhere near other people if I am, or think I could be, sick; and 2) I understand whatever risks there may be in me going there, and I fully accept them - if I didn't, I wouldn't go. I have virtually zero concerns about being in a crowd in an outdoor environment at a golf tournament, where I'm fully capable of choosing how close I am to other people.

I agree - it should be common sense for both the players and spectators. Everybody knows enough to have formed an opinion one way or the other on it by now - take responsibility for yourself and make your decisions accordingly.

I'm not (and won't be) vaccinated, and I don't wear masks anywhere. If I go to an event with large crowds, 1) Obviously I'm not going anywhere near other people if I am, or think I could be, sick; and 2) I understand whatever risks there may be in me going there, and I fully accept them - if I didn't, I wouldn't go. I have virtually zero concerns about being in a crowd in an outdoor environment at a golf tournament, where I'm fully capable of choosing how close I am to other people.
This all seems like an elaborate story to deflect suspicion about the dings inflicted upon Koepka’s knee in the melee at Kiawah. Where were you on Sunday, May 23rd?!

Yeah, obviously not much they can do about it now, it was more of a reflection on how they could change one thing and not another.

It makes far more sense to remain consistent with their protocols. If not, this reads are "we'll protect our players but anyone showing up is making that decision for themselves"

This is how it should be. Adults need to be adults and take personal responsibility for their own health and safety.

This is how it should be. Adults need to be adults and take personal responsibility for their own health and safety.
I mean, sort of. Why make the players do one thing and let the fans do another? Or the volunteers?

I mean, sort of. Why make the players do one thing and let the fans do another? Or the volunteers?
The answer is simple:

[EDIT:] Actually, it's not quite that simple. While money is the primary driver, there is also a huge element of "Covid Theater" involved in this whole thing. I can't/won't go any deeper than that for obvious reasons, but it definitely plays a part.

With outdoor stadiums and concerts opening back up around the country I think this is even more ridiculous than I did originally. Golf is played outside, how is it any different than being packed into a stadium? Its actually better in my opinion.

You would think that the tour's protocols would or should change given what's happening outside the ropes at the tournament.

They shouldn’t be in my opinion, but I’m opposed to their Covid-19 protocols.

Well the inmates don't run the asylum. I'm sure if you polled a bunch of players on various topics you'd get whole different set of rules for golf than what they play under today. It wasn't their decision to make. I can almost guarantee nobody on tour is giving John Rahm a handout. He made his bed and he is lying in it. If I were playing and got paid for it and someone asked me to give some of my pay to someone who didn't get paid based on the rules set forth, I'd tell them to go pound sand.
How do you know Rahm didn't get the vaccine? Also, Even people who get the vaccine can still get sick.

I recall that the PGA instituted some pay in the event you had to WD due to covid. I believe the PGA paid Rahm something - but not sure what that was, and certainly not equal to the purse he had to give up.

He should have bartered for 'social distance' playing privileges. It's a shame that a pre-existing condition gets one the boot.

:sick:

So will Rahm be cleared by the us open? Maybe this was just a very elaborate way of getting out of playing Sunday so he could rest.

So will Rahm be cleared by the us open? Maybe this was just a very elaborate way of getting out of playing Sunday so he could rest.
As long as he tests negative, yes he will be able to play. By that time he will be outside of the recommended isolation window.

They said he had to isolate for 10 days and have a negative test. As long as he tested negative, he would be cleared on the Tuesday before the U.S. Open.

How do you know Rahm didn't get the vaccine? Also, Even people who get the vaccine can still get sick.
It was reported that he got the first dose earlier that week after he’d been notified that possibly been exposed. If true, it was too little too late at that point.

I believe the first report was that he got it on Monday and then of course tested positive on Saturday.

I recall that the PGA instituted some pay in the event you had to WD due to covid. I believe the PGA paid Rahm something - but not sure what that was, and certainly not equal to the purse he had to give up.
He gets paid enough to cover room and board/expenses for his required isolation as I understand it. I assume it isn’t much. Certainly not close to 1.6 million.

The only silver lining I see in this is Rahm gets pissed - uses it as fuel for the fire to go on and win the US Open.

Long shot, but he needs to let it positively motivate him to lock in at Torrey.

Back