Raising a kid: How much does it cost?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Ha. I spend what they claim I will on childcare annually in 3 months. Kids are sooooo expensive.

The combination of child care plus the gas for her commute was about equal to my wife's job as a paralegal. She just decided to stay at home instead. That and my equipment budget just buys diapers now.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Oh wait, that's me....

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

129,434.52 and counting....................and worth every penny!

Kids are expensive, no doubt about it. Thats one of the many reasons why Im in absolutely no hurry to be a parent.

i think this is one of those situations where you are supposed to say "if you have to ask you probaly shouldnt get one"

Be glad some of your parents did not think the way you guys do....lol

My son is worth every penny.....You will never, ever know the joy of a son/daughter until you have one of your own.....

it doesn't cost anything you're not willing to pay

$418k x 2. Just great....I always said ultimately I'm going to be leaving my office feet first. Retirement is for sissies.

Be glad some of your parents did not think the way you guys do....lol

My son is worth every penny.....You will never, ever know the joy of a son/daughter until you have one of your own.....

thats what my parents say. then they make me skeptical by yelling at me all the time :)

it all depends. the staples are expensive enough, diapers, wipes, clothes, food, and formula (probably the biggest racket of the bunch), but then all kids are different. our little man has been incredibly expensive but that's b/c of his health issues. it's amazing how much insurance providers suck when it comes to what they choose to cover when it has to do with your child. i don't really want to discuss just how expensive all this is but it's through the roof.......and yes, he's worth every single bit of it! having a child gave me the feeling that i have a purpose in this life and it's the most amazing thing i've ever done.

Never thought about it terms of cost, though I do think of the cost of a college education. We have just the one, though, so we spend a little extra when we feel like it because she's a great kid.

Kevin

Never thought about it terms of cost, though I do think of the cost of a college education. We have just the one, though, so we spend a little extra when we feel like it because she's a great kid.

Kevin

A D1 scholarship covers all of that... btw, shouldn't she be out doing her swinging stick drills?

Way too expensive... but worth all the money in the world.

Seriously, I can't wait until #1 gets potty trained so no more diapers (it's like paying off a car for crying out loud). I also can't wait until #2 is done with his ridiculously expensive formula. Cool thing about living in FL is if you have money you can prepay their college education if they go to a school in FL. If they don't they take the value of it and roll it towards the school of their choice.

For all of you figuring out how much kids cost just wait till you see how much you will gladly pay to spoil your grandkids! But as has been said I do not regret spending any of it. My girls are priceless.

it's the only thing that cost so much, that many people don't consider if they're able to afford before starting up with

if one day I came home with a $300,000 Ferrari, everyone would think I was an idiot. if I decided to have a child, that's normal.... could I afford either... probably not

I guess you could argue that a 40 year old ferrari won't change your diapers, but that's another story entirely.

We are at the end of year one now- and we have a second baby due in November :clapp:

So far for the first year it has not been bad at all. Diapers and baby food are not that much, and we found that we get plenty of clothes as presents. Even toys are cheap, because at that age they like the boxes better anyway. Of course we don't have to worry about any health care costs and I am sure that makes a huge difference. Once the little guy gets a bit older I am sure the costs will go up!

But its worth every penny.

Talk to me again when he becomes a teenager whose "toys" get much more expensive.:D Seriously, my wife and I raised 4 and I was the sole breadwinner. We managed. I wouldn't take anything for the fun of bringing them to adulthood. Of course, they all were a pain at times when they were teenagers, but it passes and they become adults if you are consistent and fair. What does it cost? Everything you have, but it is worth it.

pre paid college fund worth every penny! all of my kids have had since they were 2 years old. bonus part if they earn scholarships you get the money back!

Kevin

I have a little girl due in July and we've decided that my wife will be a stay-at-home mom. I've stared at that BabyCenter article numerous times thinking...oh crap, oh crap, oh crap. I'm wondering if they have calculated the wedding costs I'm going to have to pay for one day...or the costs of performing background checks on all boyfriends (that's included, right?)

It is definitely worth and it seems that you always find a way to make it work. However, people keep asking when we're having our second and I keep telling them they are crazy.

It is definitely worth and it seems that you always find a way to make it work. However, people keep asking when we're having our second and I keep telling them they are crazy.

that's where i'm at right now, but this old softy will definitely be adding more lovely calloway's to the world.

Back