Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

Going into the 16th, it was AS. Patrick had a long par putt and was away. Out of no where he drains 25 footer for par to get us the hole and go 1up.
Ha, that was so demoralizing! The whole time through the practice round I was expecting to be the demoralizer with my short game and lag putting combined with getting pops. Unfortunately I struggled to get near a green in few enough strokes to make that start happening (6600 yards is LONG for me) and you guys were just killing it, playing some amazing golf. Dave and I felt like we were struggling the whole way through. That was a tough battle for sure.

I demand more recaps

1c40da09a49410f9f7b54535e7980ca6.jpg

Not a permanent home, but its in a spot where i see it several times a day.

36e95e331c868ff170ccab0e830ffc36.jpg

~Rock

Trust me. Nothing good came from it, other than me toughing it out (which may or may not have been a stupid thing to do with temps/humidity).

Trust me. Nothing good came from it, other than me toughing it out (which may or may not have been a stupid thing to do with temps/humidity).
Dude, your recent history with lunch at golf courses is not very good - didn't you not get a braut at Deer Creek?
Stick to processed food for the immediate future!!

Dude, your recent history with lunch at golf courses is not very good - didn't you not get a braut at Deer Creek?
Stick to processed food for the immediate future!!
Kale and grilled chicken for me, at the turn, from now on!

Just finished reading the recaps from post #1. What amazing weekend. Love hearing everyones thoughts about the weekend. Following the live thread is fun, but the recaps give the real story.
Some great stories and great competition. You all did a fantastic job with live updates. The pics and updates were awesome.
I would like to congratulate both captains on a job well done. You both put together a bunch unknown golfers and formed two very strong competitive teams. It was fun to follow.
I would like to thank every member of Team Heritage and Team Tradition. You were all fantastic to follow over the last 6 months. Many of you grew your game to levels, I believe, surprised even you. That's very exciting for everyone. Thanks for making this event become as amazing as it was.
Bridgestone, Wilson, Lamkin, KBS, THANK YOU for giving THP the opportunity to bring events like this to us hackers. Simply unbelievable to see guys get this kind of experience.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few more recaps. Keep them coming.

Golf - I went into this event very confident. I had been playing very solid. For some reason it didn't translate. I know nerves were part of the equation for a part of the round. But if I had to point to one area where I absolutely failed it would be mental strength.

I reached out during the prep for this event to some THPers, picked up some strategies that I had been using in my casual rounds. But this weekend was so much different. I wasn't able to put the blinders on, I couldn't just be me. I was anxious, i found things in my swing I hadn't seen in months. 3 shanks in a row to start with. I got to a point where I literally felt lost.

There was an element of expectation I had placed in myself. I felt a bit of pressure from my team to perform. That pressure was NEVER verbally spoken or IDENTIFIED. But I had levied that into myself. It's crazy thinking back about it now. I became my own demise.

One thing I did while I was there that I'm quite proud of is. I made it a conscious effort to break through the natural polarization that two teams will create. After all when you strip the competition away. It was a THP event, with dudes I've never met, and quite possibly won't see again for a while. So I felt it was as important to get to know a little something about all of them. Winning in my book.

More thoughts to follow

Golf - I went into this event very confident. I had been playing very solid. For some reason it didn't translate. I know nerves were part of the equation for a part of the round. But if I had to point to one area where I absolutely failed it would be mental strength.

I reached out during the prep for this event to some THPers, picked up some strategies that I had been using in my casual rounds. But this weekend was so much different. I wasn't able to put the blinders on, I couldn't just be me. I was anxious, i found things in my swing I hadn't seen in months. 3 shanks in a row to start with. I got to a point where I literally felt lost.

There was an element of expectation I had placed in myself. I felt a bit of pressure from my team to perform. That pressure was NEVER verbally spoken or IDENTIFIED. But I had levied that into myself. It's crazy thinking back about it now. I became my own demise.

One thing I did while I was there that I'm quite proud of is. I made it a conscious effort to break through the natural polarization that two teams will create. After all when you strip the competition away. It was a THP event, with dudes I've never met, and quite possibly won't see again for a while. So I felt it was as important to get to know a little something about all of them. Winning in my book.

More thoughts to follow
I better see you soon

Kevin you put your heart into this made the event what it was. I know you drove many people to work harder just because of what you were doing to prepare. Your Legacy far overshadows the golf aspect of this event you had some good golf in you but the person behind that and not the golf is one of the things that made this past weekend truly special to me.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

I better see you soon

Kevin you put your heart into this made the event what it was. I know you drove many people to work harder just because of what you were doing to prepare. Your Legacy far overshadows the golf aspect of this event you had some good golf in you but the person behind that and not the golf is one of the things that made this past weekend truly special to me.

You will buddy. We need to have "that" match.

Yes we do live update thread will be bumping and hopefully no one goes out on the course in front of us

I'd just like to point out that Richmond is kind of equidistant to both of you...just saying :act-up:

]

I'll be honest Kevin, you had so much support on the forum prior to the event that I wanted to get a point against you just to quiet the perceived nut hugging.
After meeting you in person, I understand why so many people were backing you. Your sense of humor off the course had us in stitches & it was cool that you made it a point to try to cross the team barriers.
I'm glad to have met you & hope we get to tee it up together at some point in the future. You just have to leave anything longer than a 6 iron at home so I have a chance.

My favourite part of this, is the word "Normal" directly above ArmyGolf doing whatever it is ArmyGolf does. hahahahahahahaha
Hehehe. It was either the Phil Michelson "thumbs up" or the ArmyGolf "Pheonix pose"

I'm not sure if I made the right call ha-ha.

Hehehe. It was either the Phil Michelson "thumbs up" or the ArmyGolf "Pheonix pose"

Just remember that your wife called you out, and said the phoenix pose was totally you.

~Rock

57382211.jpg

More thoughts to follow
I can relate to the pressure Kevin. I don't know how or why but I also put too much pressure on myself to perform amazing. After Thursdays practice round was a full on disaster that pressure from within only got worse.

I think what pulled me back in was the range session on Friday morning. I was killing the ball with my new W/S sticks and it really lit the fire of confidence in me again. "I CAN play like I need to if I just play golf and have fun."
My teammates were so damn supportive of me and somehow my Captain never lost the faith despite having every reason to.

I can relate to the pressure Kevin. I don't know how or why but I also put too much pressure on myself to perform amazing. After Thursdays practice round was a full on disaster that pressure from within only got worse.

I think what pulled me back in was the range session on Friday morning. I was killing the ball with my new W/S sticks and it really lit the fire of confidence in me again. "I CAN play like I need to if I just play golf and have fun."
My teammates were so damn supportive of me and somehow my Captain never lost the faith despite having every reason to.
Solid buddy. Like I said all of this was self induced. My Captain and Teammates were 100% supportive. This was a case of I couldn't get out of my own damn way. Lesson learned that's for sure. If there is ever another opportunity I certainly will use this experience as a data point.

Last edited:
I have a few more notes I'd like to throw out there.

One night at dinner Kevin came up next to me and threw a THP tin cup ball marker on the table and I said how cool it was. I have seen them before and kind of always wanted one but he didn't know that. He looked at me and said "its yours", I was blown away, it was so unexpected. Its things like that outside of the actual golfing that add to making THP and the people here so special. Kevin it was great seeing you again and you gave everything you had and should be damn proud of that. You took on the extra task of organizing the villas and taking care of things when they went wrong to make sure it was right and we all thank you for that once again.

Thanks to Emart2173 for all of the support he's shown along the way. He knew basically every little aspect of my journey and was always there with words of encouragement or tips or anything along the way. He's a great guy and exudes everything THP is about.

Thanks to Jimmy (six3four5) for his words of wisdom with playing on these courses. I played with him a few weeks before the event and he saw my game as it would pretty much exactly be for Legacy, specifically chipping. I couldn't get the thought of chipping in Bermuda grass out of my head and how I might have to change what I've been doing so I PMed him with some advice on that since he's played there and seen my game. He replied with the simple advice of don't even think about it and go with what you know and you will be fine. I went with that advice 100% and it helped me through the weekend and I feel had did pretty well in the short game because of that.

There was nothing but positive words of encouragement from everyone there about the golfing that was done. When it was all over Canadan told me I played well and I responded with knocking my own game and then he said it again and I did the same thing with knocking my golfing. After that he looked at me dead straight and said "NO, you played well". I'm my own worst critic but just that little moment makes me think I need to give myself a little more credit and be more positive in the end. For that I thank you Dan.

We went out for team ICE CREAM!!!! No FROYO allowed!!!!

You never hit a bad shot or a bad putt. You were just laying up to a distance and sometimes that means topping it 20yds or hitting a lag putt 6ft short. You meant to do that ;)

Jeremy almost died next to me in the cart in Thursdays practice round. I don't know how he finished that round of golf because I know I would not have in his condition. I do know Portillos has lost a hotdog customer for a long time now.

That's all I have for now but I'm sure I'll keep thinking of more lol. So much awesomeness happened this weekend!!!!

Good stuff Gregg, and Ive set it a billion times already but you played really solid golf....maybe the most consistent out of anyone there from Thurs-Sunday. You obviously worked hard on your game and it SHOWED

Back