Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

I think the late night putting contest was the best putting I did all weekend.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Quoted for truth

Great video Mike. Love the Mutumbo waggle.

Loved the recap Jeremy. Great stuff.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Well, I have been putting off writing my recap for far too long. Work kicked me in the gut when I got home as my four day vacation really just piled up my to do's in my absence.

Also, and this may seem stupid, but writing the recap is kind of like admitting this is all over. And that sucks.

Don't worry, I'm not going to write an 12 part recap like Jeremy, and the others have all covered the play by play amazingly well, so this will be just some highlights and shout outs.

The highlights (and lowlights) started when I got into Myrtle Beach. Picked up Fairband at the airport and was happy to confirm he's a really nice guy, and we start talking about the upcoming awesomeness that is to be Legacy. Turns out, everyone I met in the next 24 hours I could say the same about. Great guys on both teams, and I would tee it up with anyone that was at the Legacy any day. I know its said A LOT about THPers, but there's something different here and it was proven yet again.

We roll into True Blue at the practice area, and immediately unload and start hitting balls. I made the rookie mistake of not changing into a moisture wicking shirt, and the pictures will forever damn me to being that sweaty dude at Legacy. Thankfully, the first day was the warmest day of the week. The weather was actually really nice for the weekend which was an unexpected bonus.

Dinner with everyone was a good time. Meeting many people for the first time is always pretty cool. All sharing the same journey these past 6 months and really a common bond that can never be taken away. Again, something only a fraction of golfers will ever get to experience.

Sleep that first night (or any of the other nights) did not come easy. Too much anticipation coupled with my crappy sleeping abilities made it really hard. My wife was originally coming down with me so I even had a room with a king bed and that didn't even help. Must admit, I felt a little bad about having that giant bed all to myself while Geoff (aka Gigantor) was sleeping on a little twin in the other room where I'm assuming only about 43% of his body was actually physically "on the bed".

Thursday was a lot of fun. 2 rounds of golf on two of the nicest courses you will ever play. One note on this... I have been to TB and Caledonia on three separate previous occasions. These have always been in November - January when they overseed and the like. Even then, they were in fantastic shape. But not like this. The fairways and greens were pristine. It was unbelievable. You've seen the pictures so you know. Do yourselves a favor and play these courses. You won't regret it.

Thursday night: Pizza and beer with the guys. Yeah, pretty great day. Golf and food and beer. And I thought I had trouble sleeping the night before. We knew about the equipment we were getting for quite some time, and put in orders months ahead so I didn't know how much I would actually be looking forward to Friday morning. Turns out, it was A CRAPLOAD.

Friday morning, we are all milling around in the clubhouse, waiting for our captains to bring us to the range. Guys were just giggling and smiling like school girls. And at the range... man. Hard to put into words how much fun that morning was. Most of us were just dumbstruck, staring at these beautiful bags full of beautiful clubs and other swag. Cory from Bridgestone kept imploring us to go hit the clubs, and we just kept staring. It was pretty funny. Well, when we finally got around to hitting, the fun really started. Bridgestone (and Wilson) make some unbelievable gear. Now having played this stuff for about 6 rounds of golf, there's not a club in my bag I am thinking of replacing. And that love affair started Friday morning. Hitting all this new equipment and sharing that moment with all those guys was pretty fantastic and a top 10 golf lifetime type highlight I will never forget.

The afternoon 9 holes was more fun, and still a little surreal playing this full set of new clubs I first layed eyes on a few hours ago. Really, it was hard to stop after just nine, but knowing the grind coming up knew it was for the best.

The competition got real that night at the buffet dinner. Pairings were announced and butterflies started waking up. You'd think by night three I could sleep soundly with how little I had up until then.... nope. Adrenaline and caffeine would have to keep me going it seemed for the next 48 hours.

Up early and at the range.... in the wrong shirt. Yes, late Friday night I realized I had not packed either shirt for the weekend to coordinate with my team. I felt pretty stupid, but despite some much deserved ribbing, I was ready to take on the courses and Team Heritage in my neutral Switzerland colored shirt.

I was in the second group out paired with Martsy against GreggDrews and Rambler. I was nervous. I'm always nervous on THP first tees, and it doesn't ever really go away, some dozen events later or more. The first group is off, and I kid you not, they each hit pretty much a perfect drive. All down the middle with slight draws. Then we're up. I don't even remember who teed off first or what, but I get up and pull off "looking" for where my drive is going a little early and thin the crap out of it, barely clearing the trash and rooster tailing down the fairway in the morning dew about a whole whopping 90 yards. Ugggh. Glad that's over with.... not quite. Then top my hybrid about another 75 yards. Just the start I was looking for at the Legacy.

If you've read the recaps or live thread, you already know that somehow I turned things around after this. Hole 2 was a little better, and by hole 3 I started to play some golf. I honestly don't remember everything that happened as I was just really in a zone, but I think birdied 3 or 4 of the next 10 or so holes. Geoff chipped in some great pars/net birdies and we played a great best ball match. The thing is, Gregg and Jeremy actually played really well too, and got better and better as the round went on. We just played some great golf making it tough to make a comeback. And through it all, they kept smiling and grinding. Great guys, and was a great way to start Legacy!

After lunch, it was Alternate Shot. I was teamed with T2GRN against ArmyGolf and CJGolf. Another fun match. I don't think either Kevin or myself had our A game this match, so it was a grind from the first shot until the last. Both teams started off erratic but settled in a little after a few holes. Curtis hit some great shots and was putting like a pro. CJ played like a single digit much of the round and really took it to us. After the round I thought back and realized that he hit every GIR on the par three tee balls (four in total). Just was incredibly dialed in with his irons and just put the pressure on us all afternoon. And the 190 yard hybrid he hit to less than 10 feet on the par 5 over water was just ridiculous. CJ's golf game peaked at the right time and he was a monster this weekend. Its a testament to a lot of hard work and was impressive to watch. They closed us out with a string of net pars on the tough back nine stretch and earned the win.

Dinner was more good food and hanging out with team mates. Pairings were announced and I drew McRock, who I knew was playing well so it was gonna be a battle for sure. That night, I'm still not sleeping great, but at least got a few hours. The match started out well for me. I played pretty steady early on, and got a little lead, but Dan came back starting about hole 8. He got on a nice run and I think played the last 8 or 9 holes at +1 or something like that. Again, was a fun match and he was great to play with and I enjoyed it very much. He had a lead on the 15th hole when Ricky came up to tell us that the Legacy had been won by Team Heritage. Kinda stunning that just like that, it was over. We shook hands and headed back in. My cart mate and teammate that round was Alvarado. Let me tell you something. His game has come so far in the last 2 months, its silly. He cemented his Legacy with improving by some 10 shots a round or more over the last months of preparation. Kudos to him for all the hard work and it showed! Unfortunately, he got paired against Ron, who was hitting the ball very well, and chipping even better. True Blue sets up GREAT for Ron and his distance advantage was tough for Dave to overcome. He battled but Ron took advantage of the par 5s in particular to win the match. Ron is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Hope I can make it down to Raleigh area some day to play some golf with you!

In thinking back about the competitive rounds, I can really think of only 5 shots I wish I could have back. A 4 foot putt I missed in the singles match, 2 tee balls in the singles match, and two shots in my AS match. Under the pressure of the competition and my nerves in general, I'm OK with that number. All the work I put in leading up to this definitely showed, and outside of winning the other matches I feel pretty good about how I represented our team.

After the celebration, (and Team Heritage was classy about it all by the way) and lunch, most of team Tradition decided to play again because the weather was perfect and well, we love this game and honestly have grown pretty close. That 18 hole shamble was a lot of fun. I know its something we won't soon forget.

This whole experience was unbelievable. I'm sure I'm out of room in this post so some shout outs will be coming up shortly in the next monologue.

I was in the second group out paired with Martsy against GreggDrews and Rambler. I was nervous. I'm always nervous on THP first tees, and it doesn't ever really go away, some dozen events later or more. The first group is off, and I kid you not, they each hit pretty much a perfect drive. All down the middle with slight draws. Then we're up. I don't even remember who teed off first or what, but I get up and pull off "looking" for where my drive is going a little early and thin the crap out of it, barely clearing the trash and rooster tailing down the fairway in the morning dew about a whole whopping 90 yards. Ugggh. Glad that's over with.... not quite. Then top my hybrid about another 75 yards. Just the start I was looking for at the Legacy.

I did *exactly* the same thing. I could see your marks in the morning dew, and followed your tee shot and second shot so closely that I was standing in your footprints. Somehow I almost made par on that hole, hitting about a 100' putt to inside of a foot.

And now, long overdue shout outs.

To True Blue and Caledonia: What a set of golf courses. I think I could retire in a condo at TB and live out the rest of my days a happy man! And as good as the courses are, the people who work there are even better. The service is unreal. From the wait staff to the starter, you won't find nicer people and it makes the course that much better. I cannot wait to go back again.

To Bridgestone, Wilson Staff, KBS and Lamkin: Thank you for making us feel like tour players. The equipment is all outstanding. From the custom grips to the custom wedge shafts to the clubs that are as good as any I've ever hit, thank you! Thank you Cory and Duffy for taking the time to educate us and make us feel that exclusive insider type of experience this weekend. It was unbelievable.

To Canadan: Thank you for stepping in and helping out with everything you did. The photos are amazing, the updates were timely and let us do our thing during the rounds. And the pace of play was probably the best I've ever experienced at a THP event, even with the stakes on the line. I know you also helped with getting all the equipment in the right bags and all of that behind the scenes stuff. Thank you, you are the man!

To Josh and Morgan: Thank you for THP and the fact that this type of event even exists. My non THP friends still don't really understand what just went down. It doesn't sound real to them. Dan brought this up at the lunch but only a fraction of a fraction of a percent of golfers ever do something remotely like this. I feel honored and grateful to be in that fraction of a fraction. Thanks for your vision for this event, thanks for getting unbelievable companies to sponsor it and make it what it is. Thanks for starting this community and growing it every year! I look forward to all the new events you will unleash on us over the next couple years!

To team Heritage:
Thank you for bringing it this year. Your prep work was obvious and you earned the championship. Better yet, you're bunch of great guys and I'd tee it up any time with anyone of you.

To the captain of said team:
Mike, thanks for your time and energy and involvement in this event. Your humor and attitude are two of your best attributes. Never stop having fun out there.

To my team (in alphabetical order):
Alvarado (AKA Aloe Vera):
I know Ricky really challenged you about 2 months ago and you answered that challenge. You put your prep into overdrive and the results showed. You should be proud of how far your game has come in less than a year! You're a good dude, and I hope we can tee it up again someday soon.

Erky (Eric):
What can I say, you've become a good friend on and off the course over this past year. You play with heart as much as skill and grind like no one else. Look forward to many more rounds of golf with you and many more laughs.

Fairband (Dave):
Wow, another ridiculously nide dude from the cold dark tundra of Minnesota? Who would guess? Great getting to know you this event, and was fun playing the practice round with you out there. You've got some serious game and your short game is legit. Hopefully the summer lasts longer than 4 weeks for you so you can keep enjoying your new sticks. Hope to see you again at a THP event in the not so distant future!

Jhoeffer (Jed):
For a self described anti-socialite, you are a pretty gregarious dude. You're a great guy, and pretty fantastic with a wedge in your hands. With you and Eric in Tampa area, I know where I'll be planning a trip to for some golf sometime soon. Also, you just flat out brought it at the Legacy. You played, I think, the best golf of any of us without a win to show for it. If the captains were picking teams today, they'd be silly not to take you first. I wanna be on your team for THP Bridgestone Disney (JB, you listening?)

Orange Hog (Cace):
Cace, you sure get fired up and its contagious. Your passion for golf is evident and fun to watch. Also, your club hoing always makes me feel better about my buying habits. You're another guy on the team I would gladly tee it up with any day, particularly in a competition. You brought it hard core, particularly after some struggles in the practice rounds. You're a single digit golfer waiting to happen and I look forward to seeing it soon.

Martsy (aka Geoff aka Gigantor):
Apologies for the hundreds of Gigantor jokes over the past months. Thank you for putting up with me. I'm sounding like a broken record but you're another awesome dude I'm looking forward to seeing again soon for golf and shenanigans. While you appear like a gentle giant, once the competition is on you become a machine! Its been great to see your game improve. For those who don't know, post Legacy he's now kicking ass back home winning competitions left and right. Hope to see you (or feel the tremors) soon.

T2GRN (Kevin):
Thanks for your leadership to this team. You are a great guy, and an awesome dad and husband. Having your family at the Legacy was a highlight for me that I wasn't expecting. The golf talent you have is unbelievable. I hope I have half the game you do when I'm your age.... in a couple years. Playing with you was a pleasure and I hope its not the last time.

And finally, to the captain: DevRickus.
Ricky, I don't think most on this forum will ever know how much you put into Legacy. When I see how far these guys have come with their golf games, well, a lot of that has to do with your encouragement and leadership. You are a good friend and I hope you continue to do your thing here at THP for many years to come. Your leadership, humor and friendship are important things to me and many, many others here. I wish we coulda brought home the hardware for you, but your Legacy is so much more than that already. Thanks for everything from the bottom of my heart.

Erky (Eric):
What can I say, you've become a good friend on and off the course over this past year. You play with heart as much as skill and grind like no one else. Look forward to many more rounds of golf with you and many more laughs.

Thanks for the kind words, Bret. I didn't realize my strengths until after Legacy. I was talking to my wife after Legacy about how I said my strengths were driving and short irons, and how they didn't show up in Myrtle. She said "Your friends said the strongest part of your golf game was heart." I guess I never really thought of myself that way until now. You are one of the best guys around, and I wish I could hit the ball as hard as you. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Thanks for the kind words, Bret. I didn't realize my strengths until after Legacy. I was talking to my wife after Legacy about how I said my strengths were driving and short irons, and how they didn't show up in Myrtle. She said "Your friends said the strongest part of your golf game was heart." I guess I never really thought of myself that way until now. You are one of the best guys around, and I wish I could hit the ball as hard as you. Looking forward to seeing you again.

You're wife is a smart woman.

And finally, to the captain: DevRickus.
Ricky, I don't think most on this forum will ever know how much you put into Legacy. When I see how far these guys have come with their golf games, well, a lot of that has to do with your encouragement and leadership. You are a good friend and I hope you continue to do your thing here at THP for many years to come. Your leadership, humor and friendship are important things to me and many, many others here. I wish we coulda brought home the hardware for you, but your Legacy is so much more than that already. Thanks for everything from the bottom of my heart.
Quoted for truth.

Another random thought for this thread. Leading into the event, there was a lot of discussion of being physically ready for 36 holes on Saturday. Yes, we got nice weather, which I'm guessing helped. But, I was physically ready for 36 holes. Fitness was part of my legacy prep.

Mental game was also a huge part of my legacy prep.

However, looking back on the event, I'm not sure I was mentally prepared to have my first match go to 18, and then jump back in and start all over. It was extremely tough for my mind to get back into that second round of competition that afternoon.

So for future participants of this event, or an event like it, you not only need to be physically ready for 36 holes, but also mentally ready for 36 holes of competition golf.

~Rock

Thanks for the nice words Bret, I sincerely appreciate it! I look forward to playing with you again soon bud!

Bret, thanks for the kind words. Thanks for the ride from the airport too, it was just the beginning of the many selfless acts I saw throughout the weekend.

Great recap Brett....I'm a fan

Thanks Bret, not sure about the leadership thing, but it was a blast my friend. It certainly won't be the last of our golf together. I appreciate the warm words about my family. They are my legacy, having them there meant the world to me, and I far exceeded my expectations. Lee is my everything, and Matt (and Katie, who's our daughter) has always and will always make me one proud man.

I never said anything in here Kevin, but I got to see and interact a lot with your family due to our matchups all weekend and it was an absolute pleasure. One of the highlights for me.
You have the family a younger guy like myself hopes for one day.

I never said anything in here Kevin, but I got to see and interact a lot with your family due to our matchups all weekend and it was an absolute pleasure. One of the highlights for me.
You have the family a younger guy like myself hopes for one day.

I have to agree whole heartily with this I had some great conversations with both Lee and Matty and I can only hope my wife and daughter will be willing to go on a similar trip with me someday.

Thanks ya'll, but let's not lose focus on what this thread is all about. Each and everyone of you have the potential and passion to have the same great relationship with those that are closest to you. It's hard work but it's one of those jobs that you just love doing. I really appreciate all the kind words, even if it makes me a bit uncomfortable hahaha

Pretty cool to come in here and see the #Legacy memories keep on flowing. Good stuff guys

However, looking back on the event, I'm not sure I was mentally prepared to have my first match go to 18, and then jump back in and start all over. It was extremely tough for my mind to get back into that second round of competition that afternoon.

So for future participants of this event, or an event like it, you not only need to be physically ready for 36 holes, but also mentally ready for 36 holes of competition golf.
So true man. I know fairband and I stayed up on you guys a lot of that 2nd round, but it was a real challenge to stay focused and not give up the lead. It wasn't like anything I'd ever done before.

My suggestion for anybody in the future--play a couple matches back-to-back against somebody going in. I had only ever played one in a day before and it was mentally draining. Going into that 2nd round mentally exhausted was hard.

I have no desire to get out and play. I didn't expect this to happen honestly

Been there in back to back years. Heck 2013 i didnt swing a club for 2 months. The fire will rekindle when the time is right

I had that for the first week or two coming back. Now I want to finish my goal of completing the year as a single digit. I have kept the same routine as I had before Legacy I figure I will just keep setting goals. Once I reach one I will enjoy for a small amount of time then set myself on a new one.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

Brett and I were saying today during our round that we just didn't have the ability to grind out some good shots. Just a very sloppy and carefree round.

I had that for the first week or two coming back. Now I want to finish my goal of completing the year as a single digit. I have kept the same routine as I had before Legacy I figure I will just keep setting goals. Once I reach one I will enjoy for a small amount of time then set myself on a new one.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

I'm still hitting the range and getting work in. Just not playing. I've got to get through it. Like Mike said when it's time it will be time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found it really hard to go from competition to casual rounds last year. Took a round with my dad to get me excited about golf again. Playing by myself just wasn't doing it for me. Like 441 said, it'll pass.

I played today for the first time in over 2 weeks. I hit the ball great, but I found it easy to get distracted. Competition like Legacy is a different animal.

Back