Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

Before Legacy I had absolutely zero desire to play any of the Wilson line. After the Legacy, I will able have a D200 driver and irons at some point. It's all about getting products in front of people and in their hands. More people hear about them, see them, hit them, the more opportunity that is for a sale.

Before Legacy I had absolutely zero desire to play any of the Wilson line. After the Legacy, I will able have a D200 driver and irons at some point. It's all about getting products in front of people and in their hands. More people hear about them, see them, hit them, the more opportunity that is for a sale.

A bit different because you were part of the event technically.

I want to reiterate, we are not challenging anybody, this was posed to me and wanted to ask the people here. It has actually been posed to me quite a bit over the last year by multiple companies, so I figured it was a good time to go ahead and ask. I think Canadan even saw it come directly after the event when he was with me. Its definitely not attacking anybody here or even the event, just asking a genuine question.

It shouldn't have anything to do with THP, we aren't talking about us or our exposure, we are specifically talking about the companies.

Can you explain further?

Yes I will explains further, let's not over react, I'm on the good side :)

I want to reiterate, we are not challenging anybody, this was posed to me and wanted to ask the people here. It has actually been posed to me quite a bit over the last year by multiple companies, so I figured it was a good time to go ahead and ask. I think Canadan even saw it come directly after the event when he was with me. Its definitely not attacking anybody here or even the event, just asking a genuine question.
It is different but if there was no event at would have had zero exposure to them or desire to hit them.

I don't think the post event roi for the companies is as high as it would have been if the event featured new/soon to be released equipment that was generally unknown to the community. The equipment for this event had already been out for months, so the intrigue of this event from those not participating was more focused around the participants themselves rather than the equipment they were using.

Just my opinion of course, but I think Wilson got quality attention specific to the D200 driver & FG Tour wedges. Those are the 2 clubs that I remember generating the most buzz during & post event on THP.

I also think they would have gotten a bigger bang for their buck if there would have been a newer release iron set that was aimed at mid cappers. In a community like THP, we like new toys. The M3s & C100s were old news & a lot of people are biased against SGIs like the D200 so there wasn't much buzz there.

I know it wasn't the question, but I've had more locals ask to hit my clubs (especially the driver) & ask where I got them than I've ever experienced. That is the big win for W/S imo.

It is different but if there was no event at would have had zero exposure to them or desire to hit them.

Very true. Although there was an event previously. Im guessing what you mean is that this event hit for you and Personal Distance left zero exposure for you personally. That makes sense.

I will openly say this event did have the focus for equipment or people till the final hour. Anyone can go back and see the thread counts and who was involved. We As a collective didn't move the needle. If I'm guilty I appologized, I certainly I tried my very best.

Very true. Although there was an event previously. Im guessing what you mean is that this event hit for you and Personal Distance left zero exposure for you personally. That makes sense.
Personal distance was cool for sure but after Legacy, personal distance 2015 was much more intriguing to me because Wilson was pretty much an unknown entity to me before.

I don't think the post event roi for the companies is as high as it would have been if the event featured new/soon to be released equipment that was generally unknown to the community. The equipment for this event had already been out for months, so the intrigue of this event from those not participating was more focused around the participants themselves rather than the equipment they were using.
Read this after I posted. I agree this had a lot to do with the lack of excitement for some of the equipment.

Kevin,
I dont think anybody is guilty of anything. Definitely not the purpose of the question and we can only say so more that this is NOT an attack on anybody. Just a genuine question that gets posed to us as we continue our planning to push the envelope and make things more unique and better than ever. Companies ask these things of us, so we figured it would be neat to get your perspective.

I will openly say this event did have the focus for equipment or people till the final hour. Anyone can go back and see the thread counts and who was involved. We As a collective didn't move the needle. If I'm guilty I appologized, I certainly I tried my very best.

I think you are missing the point here, and taking this as a personal attack on you and the other participants and that couldn't be further from the purpose of the question. I am sorry if we haven't been able to make that clear. As I stated in a previous post, it's a difficult question to explain and I think that's the disconnect right now.

Obviously not a participant but I agree that the exposure these companies get from the feedback by the participants and the effect the treatment the companies give to THPers people who wouldn't have considered their lines or accessories may have a change of heart. I agree with greggdrews and jlukes thoughts on Bstone U and PD probably having a bigger impact than this event but for me personally I have wanted to find a spot or spots in the bag for Bridgestone and depending on bag setup have a spot for W/S utility iron.

I think you are missing the point here, and taking this as a personal attack on you and the other participants and that couldn't be further from the purpose of the question. I am sorry if we haven't been able to make that clear. As I stated in a previous post, it's a difficult question to explain and I think that's the disconnect right now.

Not the best answer, but much easier to answer In person with a cold beer.

Ill admit that I didnt really expect the thoughts of "its not new so there is no buzz" side of things. Its interesting really, and I will absolutely share that. I am second guessing my Cleveland event now, the King and a number of others. The irony here is that people get upset about releases coming too fast, and then upset that the gear is 6 months old.

I say that not about you guys here, but the expectations in terms of those reading reviews.

Sadly it won't come off that way for you. It really never does regardless of how true it is.

But the ROI? Between departures and the end of the season closing in, they just aren't going to get it. They never do in an event of this nature. That was proven before this event even ended. It was proven before the last event at that collection of courses ended.

From the comments received so far, would you say it's safe to say that the smaller, more intimate, events are maybe a better option for the company? Seems like from the feedback that maybe that creates more focus on the product, therefore creating more ROI for the companies?

From the comments received so far, would you say it's safe to say that the smaller, more intimate, events are maybe a better option for the company? Seems like from the feedback that maybe that creates more focus on the product, therefore creating more ROI for the companies?
Hard to say. If those events mentioned did in fact have more impact, it's just as likely that the impact was due to it being new release or pre-release equipment.

I think the companies get a ROI from these events but it might not be as much as one would think. People still need to click on the threads to read the reviews and the participants need to be posting in those threads.

The ROI can be limited by equipment near the end of its cycle.

Considering the sheer quantity of stuff they gave us it must take quite a bit to get a solid return.
I will say that some lifetime customers can be gained and some brand ambassadors can be gained.

I know it wasn't the question asked but I will be pondering every new piece of W/S equipment for a long time. I've already bought a set of irons aside from the set I was given and boast about my awesome Wilson Staff equipment to anyone that will listen.

From the comments received so far, would you say it's safe to say that the smaller, more intimate, events are maybe a better option? Seems like from the feedback that maybe that creates more focus on the product, therefore creating more ROI for the companies?
If I may share my opinion despite not being a participant... I want events like this to continue.... but I also want the companies who are involved to be open and upfront about their expectations from their staffers and that will need to be adhered to by the participants.

This experience is just waaaaaay too cool for the people who genuinely embrace it to move on.

I'm just jumping in here late to the game but if people are say Bridgestone U was better and that was 32(?) people. Not so sure if smaller is the answer. The smaller events tend to lead to those people being ultra passionate about that company. I know I am going to be loyal to Bridgestone to a fault for the foreseeable future.

My opinion is yes. They are more focused. Even the grandaddy, for as big of an event as it is, is very focused. Events like Bridgestone U, personal distance, handcrafted, own the second shot, and even the old Ultimate testing events had a really nice focus to them. Up and down with Cleveland also seems like an event is very focused. The Gauntlet, while at the surface seems like a bunch of people playing competition golf,actually has a real great focus with the Md3/roger Cleveland piece.

I think you and JB are doing the right thing here by having and honest and open 'lessons learned' session. It's what any good company does. If a company doesn't learn from both their successes AND failures, then that company will never truly progress.

The emphasis on new or pre-release equipment is interesting to me. So does that mean that a person will go to their local golf store and hit every brand they offer, or do they go specifically for their favorite brands?

What I mean is would people have gone to the store to hit the new Bridgestone or Wilson clubs when they came out, or would being a participant in an even they sponsored be the first time they hit the club? If that is the case, then wouldn't that still be a good ROI? Because it is introducing their product to someone who wouldn't normally have gone out of their way to try it, and if they liked it so now that will be a brand they look for in the future?

I expected a lot of different answers, but the clubs needing to be new or pre-release was not one of them. That was eye opening. I sincerely appreciate the honest feedback.

If I may share my opinion despite not being a participant... I want events like this to continue.... but I also want the companies who are involved to be open and upfront about their expectations from their staffers and that will need to be adhered to by the participants.

This experience is just waaaaaay too cool for the people who genuinely embrace it to move on.

Ill be honest here Dan, we did that previously, and it did not kick off all that well.
Based on the previous responses in threads about using equipment, I did not really think it was necessary, but as I told you, that will be ammended in some form when needed. However to be honest, this is not necessarily about "do you need to continue playing" as we have covered that.

This was simply a question I got, and answered, and thought I should pose it here as well. I believe you personally saw first hand the questions that we get, and answer, and always will truthfully.

The entire point was to get the thoughts of those in the event, rather than just behind the event, but I am second guessing myself on whether that this was a good idea now.

The emphasis on new or pre-release equipment is interesting to me. So does that mean that a person will go to their local golf store and hit every brand they offer, or do they go specifically for their favorite brands?

What I mean is would people have gone to the store to hit the new Bridgestone or Wilson clubs when they came out, or would being a participant in an even they sponsored be the first time they hit the club? If that is the case, then wouldn't that still be a good ROI? Because it is introducing their product to someone who wouldn't normally have gone out of their way to try it, and if they liked it so now that will be a brand they look for in the future?

I expected a lot of different answers, but the clubs needing to be new or pre-release was not one of them. That was eye opening. I sincerely appreciate the honest feedback.
Not a single store by me carries Bridgestone or Wilson equipment. Unfortunately that's another issue altogether.

Back