Regional Rivalry Is Coming To THP

Because events must be limited to a certain number of people due to a wide variety of reasons. Whether its the golf course having room. The sponsoring company having equipment for people, the sheer amount of time it can take or the upfront costs that are involved. Every THP Event we ever host will have a limited number of spots that is listed at the very beginning.

That's what I'm saying. There should be enough people to fill the events so there shouldn't be a problem. What's the issue about not having enough people to fill 8 teams etc.?

Screw it! Utah is the best!

:alien:

Any region that has GregDan and Canadan on the same team has to automatically be the favorites. That's THP law, right?

Tadashi I think, I saw someone say it.

I think I would know where this one is going to be hosted. :alien:

That's what I'm saying. There should be enough people to fill the events so there shouldn't be a problem. What's the issue about not having enough people to fill 8 teams etc.?

I can guarantee you, no matter where I put this event, there is no possible way you could find 64 people from 8 different regions ready to travel to it. Good news though is there are tons events all over the place that people can go to if this one doesnt work.

e401a599f35568cb0cc7d0720c88f805.jpg

My map is better.

I can really only speak for myself and use this year's #TheKing as an example...when JB said there would be an event in San Diego, my wife and I agreed I would go for it. Cost not an issue, we'd make it our annual vacation just like the Morgan Cup was for us in 2014 (which was more of a beg forgiveness than ask permission thing that I promised I wouldn't do to her again).

Then I found out I'd be attending a school in South Carolina this Spring, and another in Georgia this summer. They're both massive career opportunities that I can't exactly decline. That's a consideration that prevented me from pursuing that chance to get in. I'm not saying this out of pity, because I don't feel bad about it. But desire to compete for slots in these events often exceeds capacity to participate.

I want to participate in more THP events. I'm quickly adopting Arizona as a home state (the longest I've stayed in one place in my adult life), and would love to represent the great South West in a regional capacity. But I do have to hedge my bets and take other things into consideration, including work and family. Like I said, I don't say this out of self-pity, but an acknowledgement of circumstances.
I get that life gets in the way.mybe another event works better? Or are you relegated to one evrnt? With so many events I would think one would work. But for you maybe it doesn't and that's fine, it sucks but it's the way things play out sometimes.

Thank goodness picking a team will fall on the captains in this....They can deal with the word "deserving". :act-up:

not really a big fan of that word either and it will be interesting to see how captains go about making their picks.

I think part of the problem is getting those 8 from specific regions. We always have more people than spots, but I would venture to say a lot of it are the same people from the same locations. So just because we would need say 48 (8 people for 6 regions) as an example, but regions 1, 2, 3, and 4 have 20 people each sign up, but regions 5 and 6 only have 7 due to costs of travel/location, then it all of a sudden doesn't work even though 94 people sign up. I mean something would happen to MAKE it work, but still the original idea wouldn't have done so.

The purple region would have a harder time filling a team then the Blue region.

JB is right about getting people to seriously commit. 4 teams of 8 is probably a good bet. 5 regions of 8 would require some highly influential Captains.

I look forward to seeing where this goes when/if cost/location/dates/format/etc. are released. I will be honest we spend quite a bit for a summer membership(May-Oct), plus in the summer in this area it is not difficult to play most private courses(and there are some great ones), so for me it would need to make sense both timing & financially. That being said I have shown enthusiasm for this event (that we have no info on) & when the times comes and it does not work out for what ever reason I would then be in the infamous "won't travel for an event" category.

Location is really not a concern for me. Flying to FL is the same is flying to CA in my opinion. An extra couple hours on a plane makes no difference, and prices are generally not that much different in my experience. My only issue ultimately comes down to timing and family/work conflicts.

This is a tough year for me being able to commit to THP events--both from a financial and time constraint standpoint. With our son due to arrive May 31st, I can't make the commitment for events that month or so before he arrives and I'm in a bit of a holding pattern for events after until I get a feel for how our finances are and what sort of time from work I have available. Knowing that the Legacy is being played only 2 hours from our house and not being to participate has been a bit upsetting, but I don't think I would have the time to give the event the attention it deserves, and I have a hard time leaving a newborn at home to play in a golf tournament.

Potential 6 Region Layout:

GxbAYzx.jpg

In this scenario I think the captains would come from Colorado, Texas, Illinois, Florida, Ohio and New York.

So much speculation and wonder in here. It's going to be pretty sweet once we start getting details. I am anxious to know more specifics.

This sounds great in sentiment, but I know JB, Morgan and everyone else that works behind the scenes at THP did a whole heck of a lot to get that event sponsored by Bridgestone, Wilson, KBS, and Lamkin. Having the gear and being "sponsored" by those companies for the event is a once in a lifetime type experience, and to not think about the gear, IMO, is almost disrespectful for the companies doing the sponsoring and everything that went into putting it together. If not for that, it's not much different than any other event. Do I "need" a bag full of new equipment, absolutely not, but getting it would mean the world to me and its a bag of equipment I could cherish forever. The gear means a lot, but it has more meaning than just new clubs.
I'm just trying to say I'm not going for the gear.

I'm sure as heck respecting my sponsors, I started plugging them on social media and you can bet you'll be seeing some ongoing reviews out of me about how it's working for me, both at #THPLegacy and when I get back home. No worries on that part, I know what I'm supposed to be doing. :D

man this thread alone has provided enough entertainment for a few hours for me. I can't wait to see more about this event because I have an over/under bet on how many pages this thread gets to before it either gets locked/closed. BTW I can tell you right now the swag talk in this thread made for some good conversation with a buddy of mine.

Everyone wants to be grouped with Texas in all the different mock region maps. These people are smart.

I get that life gets in the way.mybe another event works better? Or are you relegated to one evrnt? With so many events I would think one would work. But for you maybe it doesn't and that's fine, it sucks but it's the way things play out sometimes.

Not so much that one event, but more like one event that would be anywhere close to driving range. I flew my family back to the East coast for #THPMC. We don't have anyone we'd leave the kids with for the week aside from family, and all my extended family is back in Virginia, so that meant the whole family flew. I simply wouldn't be able to afford another trip back to the East Coast this year. Airfare is too much, unless it's just me, and I've spent too much time away from my family as it is. I get vacations by myself in the form of schools and deployments. And that reality massively influences what events I could go to. This isn't a pity party, but it is real talk about trying to play a very expensive game on an enlisted man's salary.

It's why I was looking forward to the San Diego events so much, and why I'm pretty disappointed I'll be in South Carolina (possibly putting together some kind of informal THP get together) while #TheKing is taking place.

So I take the morning off to go practice and come back to region talk.

I get it and makes sense based on the past traveling habits of THPers, but I liked the state representation better. #Cookie said it best in that it's a pride thing for us Texans.

Looking forward to more details so I can make sure the potential swag/nonswag event fits the schedule.

Knowing that the Legacy is being played only 2 hours from our house and not being to participate has been a bit upsetting, but I don't think I would have the time to give the event the attention it deserves, and I have a hard time leaving a newborn at home to play in a golf tournament.
Same here. When it was revealed that this event was going to extend into the same weekend of my son's 1st birthday, it was a bit deflating.

So I take the morning off to go practice and come back to region talk.

I get it and makes sense based on the past traveling habits of THPers, but I liked the state representation better. #Cookie said it best in that it's a pride thing for us Texans.

Looking forward to more details so I can make sure the potential swag/nonswag event fits the schedule.

So you're saying you like Texas? I never could have guessed that from all the talk and avatars in here.

Good to know.

Back