Review: Waterrock Golf Course, East Cork

dhjkelly

BOO
Reaction score
Handicap
Today I played one of my local courses with a couple of good friends. It was a beautiful fresh morning in the sunny south east of Cork, a little cold when we teed off but the sun wasn't long coming out. A few of the greens had been punched and sanded this morning which made for some interesting putting. We usually play from the yellow tee's because of the 2 old lads. Although the course plays shorter for I still enjoy it for a few reasons. I get to play with some really good friends and I have to think about my tee shorts more to avoid trouble.

Waterrock GC is privately owned and does not have membership. It only opens to green fees.

http://www.waterrockgolfcourse.com/

Prices are pretty reasonable for mid week golf at €23. Tell do a deal from October to February mid week golf with a full irish breakfast for €24. Weekend golf can be a little more expensive at €33. When it comes to value for money Waterrock GC is the best in cork.

The course itself is always in top conditions considering the weather we are prone to on the side of the pond. Fairways are always pristine and greens are well manicured other then when they are punched.

Scorecard
Spoiler
scorecard_b.gif

Clubhouse and Putting Green. PG had just been punched and sanded as we arrived
Spoiler
DSC_0899.jpg

DSC_0900.jpg

Hole 1 short par 4. Driver brings the bunker on the right into play. The green is in line with the twin telephone poles
Spoiler
DSC_0901.jpg

Hole 2. Par 5 reachable in 2 but your drive has to be online to a tight landing area in front of the small group of trees
Spoiler
DSC_0902.jpg
DSC_0903.jpg

Hole 3. Short downhill par 3. A tricky hole to get your club right. Short may leave you in the bunker and long leaves a difficult chip uphill with the green slopping back to front.
Spoiler
DSC_0904.jpg

Hole 4. A short par 4 with a blind tee short. The safest play is up the left side of the fairway as it gives you a better look into the green.
Spoiler
DSC_0905.jpg
DSC_0906.jpg

Hole 5. A long par 4 a narrow fairway only made wider by the addition of a bunker. The tree's on the left have been cut back as they were blocking the fairway. A short drive will leave you with a long iron or fairway wood into the green but be aware of the OB just at the back of the green.
Spoiler
DSC_0907.jpg

Hole 6. Par 3 a narrow green with large bunkers in front and left of the green. OB long and to the right. Pick your iron and hit it
Spoiler
DSC_0908.jpg

Hole 7. A tight little par 4 with a tree nicely placed to block any tee shot short and right. OB all along the right. Playing into a 3 tier green with 3 green side bunkers.
Spoiler
DSC_0909.jpg

Hole 8. Par 4 with another blind tee shot with the green in line with those 2 telephone poles.
Spoiler
DSC_0910.jpg

Hole 9. An interesting little par 4 that really makes you think about you tee shot. You need to be long enough to carry fairway bunker but not to long to outrun the fairway. OB all along the right.
Spoiler
DSC_0911.jpg

Hole 10. A stunning par 5 which doglegs to the left and downhill. A well placed tee shot will hit the ridge of the hill and run an extra 40/50 yards for you. A large sand trap limits to choice of going for the green in 2.
Spoiler
DSC_0912.jpg
DSC_0913.jpg

Hole 11. A long par with OB on the right no real danger here once you keep it in the fairway.
Spoiler
DSC_0914.jpg

Hole 12. Waterrock's signature hole a tough demanding par 3 with all carry. From the tips it plays 240 yards with OB all along the right. Any bailout shot is to the left but beware the 13th tee box is on the left. You really have to commit to your club choice here.
Spoiler
DSC_0915.jpg

Hole 13. A long par 5 that even the most seasoned of players won't be going for in 2. It also plays into an elevated green which has a few well place bunkers trying to upset you.
Spoiler
DSC_0916.jpg
DSC_0918.jpg

Hole 14. A medium par 3 with 2 large green side bunkers awaiting any short tee shot
Spoiler
DSC_0917.jpg

Hole 15. A tight par 4. The pond on the right will swallow any sliced ball as well as the fairway bunker. The tree in front of the green occasionally blocks a tight pin position.
Spoiler
DSC_0921.jpg

Hole 16. An interesting par 4. You can take on the green if the wind is blowing in the right direction but the safe play is at the right edge of pond just by Barry's hand. He really wanted to be in a picture.
Spoiler
DSC_0919.jpg

Hole 17. A tough par 3 with not a lot of trouble but plays into a 2 club wind almost every time we play.
Spoiler
DSC_0920.jpg

Hole 18. A long finishing hole. An uphill par 4 and that fairway bunker comes into play every time. A well placed tee shot still leaves an uphill approach into a 3 tier green with pins usually placed just on the edge of each tier.
Spoiler
DSC_0922.jpg
DSC_0923.jpg

A view back down the 18th from the clubhouse. I really do live in a beautiful country and I hope some THP'ers get to see it sometime.
Spoiler
DSC_0924.jpg

I know my review is pretty long. I just hope people enjoy my review as much as I did writing it.

Thanks for reading
dhjkelly

Nicely done Mr Kelly, that looks like a killer course! I bet those Par trees are really tough

So, awesome! Makes my dream to visit there one day even stronger.

Good review Kelly. That course looks great and has some awesome-looking holes. Pretty cool dude, and thanks for the review. It's cool being able to see what some of the courses are like over there.

Kelly, great write up! Just so GREEN and gorgeous! Looks like alot of fun.

I need to go over there....need​.

Nice David! Appears to be a decent amount of undulation throughout the course.

Perhaps you will take me there when I visit in a few years?!?!

Nice David! Appears to be a decent amount of undulation throughout the course.

Perhaps you will take me there when I visit in a few years?!?!

It's on the list of courses we are gonna play buddy

Great review Kelly, that definitely looks like a fun course.

Fun review David, it's so green and quiet looking. Thanks for the review and pics.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's pretty green over here lol

Wow, Kelly, that course is absolutely beautiful. Would love to tee it up there. Awesome review!

What a great looking course and an even better review. I really really like this.

What percentage of your courses are set up like that Kelly, with no rough, just all one grass.

What percentage of your courses are set up like that Kelly, with no rough, just all one grass.

Rough and fairways here are usually the same type of grass except for links courses. Plenty of rough on this course fairway's are cut in a diamond pattern everything else is rough. Hope this answers your question.

Rough and fairways here are usually the same type of grass except for links courses. Plenty of rough on this course fairway's are cut in a diamond pattern everything else is rough. Hope this answers your question.

Ah gotcha, I didn't pick that up in the pictures, just not used to rough that green I guess.

Ah gotcha, I didn't pick that up in the pictures, just not used to rough that green I guess.

I hear ya man. This picture back down the 18th from the clubhouse will give you a better look.

DSC_0924.jpg

Awesome review, thank you for all the great pictures. It's amazing how similar the course looks to one's I've seen here in the states.

That's a mighty fine looking golf course ya' got there .

Back