Rick Reilly blasts Tiger

A few things I can always expect from a Tiger Thread:
1)Someone bashing Tiger
2)Someone not understanding why people Bash Tiger
3)More bashing of Tiger
4)Someone putting up the :popcorn:smilie
5)BTW Did you know Phil's a prick too?

This is the one thing I got out of Reilly's article.
:popcorn:

I have heard an interesting perspective on the whole Steve and Tiger thing from some sports circles the last few days. Some are taking the position that while the timing and the way Steve was let go was not optimal, the fact is that Steve made a ton of money with Tiger and he should just move on. Sort of a Steve your glass is half full not half empty kind of thing. Those adopting this position tend to want to slant the argument as well stating that Steve was a real bull dog when it came to protecting Tiger and was sort of a prick himself during Tiger's hay day. This part of the argument seems to be an effort to suggest that Steve is not the kind of guy that deserves our sympathy. Jeez what a soap opera.

even tiger's staunchest supporters recognize that he's mr. cheap. It's partly what got him into this whole mess in the first place; if he had paid his mistresses more than the 40 grand or whatever the tabloids were offering, his other life would have never come to light. people don't bite the hand that feeds

Buildem up beatem down and buildem up.

He is a columnist. Of course he is going to talk about his return. As he should.

But dont take this the wrong way, but some people make it impossible to EVER say anything objective about the guy. We get it, his fans have been in heaven for a decade and then the guy showed his true colors were filled with lies and scandal. They are angry that their idol has been dragged through the gutter and still want certain worship to be used. But frankly its exhausting walking on egg shells for some because the minute an objective thought is posted, fans scream "hater", when nothing could be further from the truth.

He is a columnist. Of course he is going to talk about his return. As he should.

But dont take this the wrong way, but some people make it impossible to EVER say anything objective about the guy. We get it, his fans have been in heaven for a decade and then the guy showed his true colors were filled with lies and scandal. They are angry that their idol has been dragged through the gutter and still want certain worship to be used. But frankly its exhausting walking on egg shells for some because the minute an objective thought is posted, fans scream "hater", when nothing could be further from the truth.

I agree, there are some extreme fans, and some can't make the seperation. Hell, sometimes I have a hard time with it.

I see your point and I agree wit hyour point. it just makes me scratch my head that Rick opinion went 180* over night. He had every right to be critical of TW over the past two years. But it's like they had a sit down or something. With TWs track record in the media, I don't think that happened. Just a head scratcher to me. But you are right super fans really allow no wiggle room.

Since I have seen this post a number of times, I would like to address it. I totally agree, Tiger has two camps, the group that will look for anything positive and the group that will look for every negative. We know you are not a fan and whether you admit it or not, you are not in any way neutral. I know if a post regarding Tiger that is positive goes up, you will respond rebutting it. At the same time, we know I am a fan and I will defend a lot of arguments against him. Almost all of THP can be divided down those lines. If you have an opinion how can you be objective? Opinions are by nature subjective, but, whats wrong with that? We love this sport and, as fans of golf, its fun to speculate and root for some people and maybe against others. No different than MLB or the NFL.

Reactions: JB
Since I have seen this post a number of times, I would like to address it. I totally agree, Tiger has two camps, the group that will look for anything positive and the group that will look for every negative. We know you are not a fan and whether you admit it or not, you are not in any way neutral. I know if a post regarding Tiger that is positive goes up, you will respond rebutting it. At the same time, we know I am a fan and I will defend a lot of arguments against him. Almost all of THP can be divided down those lines. If you have an opinion how can you be objective? Opinions are by nature subjective, but, whats wrong with that? We love this sport and, as fans of golf, its fun to speculate and root for some people and maybe against others. No different than MLB or the NFL.

That is so far off base it is borderline laughable. The difference is that some can look at both sides where apparently others cannot (something I am just now realizing about so many others) Having an opinion and speaking objectively are two VERY different things. I take strong offense to your comments here, because its clear that you are reading into things that you want to see, rather than what is actually being posted. This goes back to the thought of every thought having to be walked across egg shells, because of labels. Have you ever thought that someone can look at each situation and discuss it without bring a fan or showing hatred?

And let me add one more thing to this. Tiger does not have two camps. TIger has two camps to Tiger fans. Because anything that is remotely not fandom is considered subjective and hatred. Its not always about two camps. Some people are capable of looking at things without it being love or hate. Apparently some can see that and others cannot.

Tiger seems to be in better spirits this week than he has in a while. Maybe him ditching his friends and getting new ones is a good thing?

Rick Reilly is a lunatic.

That is so far off base it is borderline laughable. The difference is that some can look at both sides where apparently others cannot (something I am just now realizing about so many others) Having an opinion and speaking objectively are two VERY different things. I take strong offense to your comments here, because its clear that you are reading into things that you want to see, rather than what is actually being posted. This goes back to the thought of every thought having to be walked across egg shells, because of labels. Have you ever thought that someone can look at each situation and discuss it without bring a fan or showing hatred?

Yes, I do agree it can be done, but why are just looking at it from one side? Why the perception that if I am not against Tiger I cannot be objective then? Why is it that someone who roots for TW is automatically considered irrational and incapable of having a mature discussion and listening and understanding both sides of the story? I do not mean to offend you in any way JB, and if I did so, I do apologize, I think this is an interesting discussion and I am not meaning to offend anyone.

Yes, I do agree it can be done, but why are just looking at it from one side? Why the perception that if I am not against Tiger I cannot be objective then? Why is it that someone who roots for TW is automatically considered irrational and incapable of having a mature discussion and listening and understanding both sides of the story? I do not mean to offend you in any way JB, and if I did so, I do apologize, I think this is an interesting discussion and I am not meaning to offend anyone.

Where did I say that? I never said someone that was a fan cannot be objective. I said many of the fans here CANNOT be objective, nor do they want to hear anything objective. However to be objective you have to be able to discuss both sides and you have made it very clear that is not something you have any interest in being a part of.

Where did I say that? I never said someone that was a fan cannot be objective. However to be objective you have to be able to discuss both sides and you have made it very clear that is not something you have any interest in being a part of.

What? When did I ever say that? When I started the Tiger thread, I specifically stated there that both sides of any argument are welcome, I just asked people to refrain from jokes and insults. I am a little surprised that you find me to be incapable of having a rational discussion, as that's certainly not who I am nor is it the image I wanted to covey here.

What? When did I ever say that? When I started the Tiger thread, I specifically stated there that both sides of any argument are welcome, I just asked people to refrain from jokes and insults. I am a little surprised that you find me to be incapable of having a rational discussion, as that's certainly not who I am nor is it the image I wanted to covey here.

I never said you said that. Actually your first sentence in your Tiger Woods Fan thread says "without the haters chiming in". While you go on to say you would like differing opinions, it comes across as immediately assuming that a comment that is negative means that they are a "hater", in my opinion anyway. Hence the reason, I have not and will not be a part of that thread, nor will quite a few others that have expressed that opinion.

I have been around professional sports and athletes as my career for the last 15 years. I have never ever ever ever ever seen an athlete with fans more sensitive than Tiger Woods. Which is filled with irony completely. It borders on irrational, but in the end, its their life and their fandom. I just will not ask people to walk on eggshells on THP because fans are getting their feelings hurt and cannot see the difference between subjective and objective. Sure some guys just dislike the guy, and frankly that is no different to me than super worship that others have. But there are certainly more than "2 camps" as you put it and not everybody has to love or hate.

Tiger seems to be in better spirits this week than he has in a while. Maybe him ditching his friends and getting new ones is a good thing?

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner! :thumb:

...Sure some guys just dislike the guy, and frankly that is no different to me than super worship that others have. But there are certainly more than "2 camps" as you put it and not everybody has to love or hate.

Thank you for writing that, JB. :thumb:

Your comment points out the one thing that seems to be almost a disease in this country right now which is that people seem to only see things in high contrast; black or white, up or down, left or right and so on.
Every issue is a shade (or many shades) of gray and Tiger's is no different. There are many things to say about Tiger, but like anything else it can't just be ALL good or ALL bad because no issue can be "ONLY" something.

It's possible to be a die-hard fan of someone or something and still be able to criticize just as it's possible to dislike someone or something but still find something good to say.

Everything is a situation and very few things are so clearly defined as to be summed up with either a "yes" or "no" answer.

Back