Rick Reilly blasts Tiger

I think the article would have still gotten the same point across without taking a crap on Chris Couch, Marc Leishman and Chris Stroud . I guess I just don't "get" Reilly. He is just so smug. I can't stand his writing.

I'm just not understanding the love for this article. I mean I have heard these stories for years so it's not like he broke any kind of news. IMO if he had this type of opinion of Tiger he should have come out with this when Tiger was on top. Now that article I would have been impressed with.

I can't stand rich people who are cheap. If I employ somebody and my screw ups affect his money making potential, I will either pay him some sort of average yearly salary or I would release him to earn some kind of payment.

I swear that Tiger thinks this is some sort of Truman Show where the whole world revolved around him. If I were to see him in public, I would want to lay the back of my hand across his face and then spit on his shoes. Of course I would never do that, but I seriously think this guy has it coming.

Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

I just read this article on ESPN.com a little while ago. It's a great read that shows good insight into Tiger's recent life as an outsider (meaning, we can only speculate to a degree).

I think Tiger is probably the best golfer ever. I want him back in golf. I want him back to winning. But, right now he's sucking some you know what and he needs to man up. Often times I wonder where his maturity has gone. I don't agree with how Tiger has behaved lately, but I do hope he gets back on the horse and starts acting like when his father was still walking this earth.

All fine with one exception. The author assumes that Tiger can go back to the 2000 swing.

That's 100% correct. Tiger can't go back to his 2000 swing because it injuries his knee. That's been reported enough that everyone should know this. It's the reason Tiger's been trying to change it!

I'm just not understanding the love for this article. I mean I have heard these stories for years so it's not like he broke any kind of news. IMO if he had this type of opinion of Tiger he should have come out with this when Tiger was on top. Now that article I would have been impressed with.

I think his writing career would not have been worth a bent penny had he wrote it in Tigers good years (if such a thing exists). I agree that it is slightly redundant however. I like it because all this angers me because I was robbed of my Tiger experience because I only got into golf 2 years ago.

I think his writing career would not have been worth a bent penny had he wrote it in Tigers good years (if such a thing exists). I agree that it is slightly redundant however. I like it because all this angers me because I was robbed of my Tiger experience because I only got into golf 2 years ago.

I don't know about that though. I mean I don't like Reilly. I think his writing sucks. But he does have a big post from which to spout from. I don't think ESPN would have fired him for saying it. I mean I took lessons I think 15 years ago from a pro at a CC on Long Island. Back then he was telling me how big a jerk Tiger was. How he stiffed everyone below him. This article is just a rehashing of everything we have all heard. It just seems cheap shots at this point. Don't' get me wrong. Tiger deserves everything he is getting. But this article is just not that great IMO.

I think letting Steve go crystalized a lot of what people have been thinking and I suspect that might have something to do with an article like that coming out now. You are right Chunk it does seem a bit like piling on late but at the same time I do think letting Steve go this way was sort of a last straw for people that have given Tiger the benefit of a doubt. I don't even mean Reilly. Reilly really likes trying to resonate with a sentiment that he sees out there in his audience. Just because I don't have a big problem with what he has written does not necessarily mean I think it is a particularly meaningful piece. If anything saying Tiger should go back to his 2000 swing makes Reilly seem a little clueless to me.

Kinda funny in a way is that these guys all have these high priced consultants....Labron....Tiger.....all have these high priced guys hanging around that actually have a vested interest in public opinion regarding there clients. Either the clients don't listen to them or don't even ask them or they don't provide very good advice from what I can see. Does make you wonder though. On the one hand you can make the case that they just don't give a damn but boy it is not like it is school lunch money at stake here.

i think what has been goin' around on this one is that Tiger consulted nobody regarding letting Steve go.

I can agree with that Jnug. Letting Stevie go could have been the final douche move that finally pushed Reilly over the edge. Who knows. I am so over Tiger. If he can't get his swing back than just don't bring him up anymore. It's just sad to see what he has done to himself. I think Tiger needs a good Oprah interview to get his career jump started

Use to be tiger fan. The way he split with steve ended that. great read.

I haven't like Reilly's stuff for a couple of years (I used to read him in sports illustrated as a kid and was usually entertained, but lately even the last few years at si I didn't particulalry care for him.), so I went into the article wanting to not like it (and as a tiger fan the same old story gets redundant, you gotta eat it but still), and I ended up enjoying it. very good article

It's been so long since Tiger was last successful, that articles like this only surprise me in that I don't see many.. He's kind of a prick, which I can deal with when he's steaming up the leaderboard while in a red shirt, but he's not even competitive right now.. Frankly, he's a nobody, or at least until he gets his stuff together, he is a 'has been'..

I love me some incredible Tiger golf. It is mesmerizing. But he's not even a decent golfer right now, so maybe it's time that he mend a few fences and lighten up.. I bet the road back to the top would be a lot less bumpy if he wasn't so stuck up about things.

Is Tiger disliked by his peers?

Amazing what a force Tiger is even when he is not playing. Doesn't matter if you love, hate, or are indifferent toward him everyone has an opinion. People don't change, they don't. Tiger needs to read this, throw it out the window, and be true to himself. If that is a reclusive controlling person, so be it. Whatever it takes to get him winning is what he needs to do. He can't change. I say he needs to dig in and be the biggest a**hole on tour. He does best when he is on an island. Forget the media and personal image. Winning cures all. Look at the 85 Bears....what would we think of them if the were 2-14 that year?

I can't stand rich people who are cheap. If I employ somebody and my screw ups affect his money making potential, I will either pay him some sort of average yearly salary or I would release him to earn some kind of payment.

I swear that Tiger thinks this is some sort of Truman Show where the whole world revolved around him. If I were to see him in public, I would want to lay the back of my hand across his face and then spit on his shoes. Of course I would never do that, but I seriously think this guy has it coming.

I agree with you, Seth. Lots of stories through the years here in Cheeseland about Favre treating people the way Tiger does.

Kevin

I hope Tiger comes back and finishes in 2nd place in every single tournament he enters. A guy can dream.

Great article. RR is just pointing out what we already know. I hope Tiger comes back and never makes another birdie, or a cut for that matter.

I cant stand Rick Reilly.

I'm not a huge Tiger fan, but I hope he has one vintage performance just in spite of that article.

It sounds like he's just jumping on the bandwagon to me, but I guess he's entitled to his opinion.

Wow, another voice calling Tiger a prick. Is it news that Tiger is a jerk?

Is Tiger disliked by his peers?

They think he's a tool for the most part (Jesper's comments anyone?). He isn't "one of the guys." He's a dork who can (could) play golf better than anyone in the world. He has never been one to hang out with guys on tour. That's one of the reasons such a big deal was made at the Ryder Cup when he was playing ping pong and doing stuff with his teammates. The fact that some people are praising Tiger for axing Steve man to man shows you what kind of person he is. He NEVER does stuff like that, usually letting his employees do the dirty work. I mean he didn't even hire Steve himself, he had Butch call for him. Kind of like the 12 year old boy who has his friend call and ask the girl he likes if she likes him too.

That is interesting Gh. Everytime I see video of him on the range he is laughing with somebody at the range or putting green. I know him and Darren Clarke are great friends. Do you know this as fact or speculation? Just asking not trying to say you don't know.

Edit: And Jespers comments mean nothing really. I mean Jesper was the boss of Elin and hooked them up so of course he is going to be very angry at TW

I think the EASIEST thing to do in our society is to kick someone when they are down. Reilly goes way overboard in his comments about Tiger. I must have missed it but who is Rick Reilly exactly? Oh yeah....some hack writer! Reilly's a guy who's made a career of kicking people when they are down. I listened to him last week at The Open and he came across as his typical smartass self, 'The sun only comes out in England once a year'...'people take their shirts off her and are all pasty white'. Complete smartass!!

The reality of the Tiger situation is that Tiger is free to do whatever he wants as far as his caddy is concerned. Guys change caddies all the time and nobody says a word about it. Tiger does it and it's open forum on him. Steve Williams sees himself as a celebrity, which he's not. He's a CADDIE. Nobody has ever gone to a golfing event or watched golf on TV to see a caddie work. Williams has made lots of money working for Tiger for years. His dream job has come to an end.....deal with it!! To be taking potshots at Tiger know he comes off sound ling like a jilted lover and sour grapes. Deal with it Williams....who truth be known isn't the nicest guy on the planet either.

They think he's a tool for the most part (Jesper's comments anyone?). He isn't "one of the guys." He's a dork who can (could) play golf better than anyone in the world. He has never been one to hang out with guys on tour. That's one of the reasons such a big deal was made at the Ryder Cup when he was playing ping pong and doing stuff with his teammates. The fact that some people are praising Tiger for axing Steve man to man shows you what kind of person he is. He NEVER does stuff like that, usually letting his employees do the dirty work. I mean he didn't even hire Steve himself, he had Butch call for him. Kind of like the 12 year old boy who has his friend call and ask the girl he likes if she likes him too.

AAARGGGH. My very lengthy post was dumped by some glitch when I hit reply. Here is the abbreviated version.
1. Tiger was taught golf, maybe not so much life.
2. Water seeks it's own level. Elin is just as warped as Tiger or they would not have hooked up. Jesper is being codependent when he barks.
3. I take lessons to learn better golf so I am not a hack. Tiger needs lessons from a friend or mentor in how to live a "normal" life. Sinatra was a working guy and tipped big. Tiger never waited tables, cut lawns, etc. At 18 he got 60 MILLION from Nike! After that everyone wanted $$$ from him and he probably held back too much.
4. I want to see him reach the major mark. I feel privileged to have seen him play the best ( in my opinion) golf anyone may ever see.

I think the EASIEST thing to do in our society is to kick someone when they are down. Reilly goes way overboard in his comments about Tiger. I must have missed it but who is Rick Reilly exactly? Oh yeah....some hack writer! Reilly's a guy who's made a career of kicking people when they are down. I listened to him last week at The Open and he came across as his typical smartass self, 'The sun only comes out in England once a year'...'people take their shirts off her and are all pasty white'. Complete smartass!!

The reality of the Tiger situation is that Tiger is free to do whatever he wants as far as his caddy is concerned. Guys change caddies all the time and nobody says a word about it. Tiger does it and it's open forum on him. Steve Williams sees himself as a celebrity, which he's not. He's a CADDIE. Nobody has ever gone to a golfing event or watched golf on TV to see a caddie work. Williams has made lots of money working for Tiger for years. His dream job has come to an end.....deal with it!! To be taking potshots at Tiger know he comes off sound ling like a jilted lover and sour grapes. Deal with it Williams....who truth be known isn't the nicest guy on the planet either.

I dont necessarily disagree with you here, but just as Tiger is "free to do whatever he wants as far as his caddie is concerned", Reilly is free to do whatever he wants as far as writing in so many words (generalization). Reilly did not get to where he was because he is a hack. He is controversial and self serving sure, but just as TW was the best at his profession, Reilly was near that as well. When people complain about this work, is it really any different than what Reilly did to TW?

Back