Rick Reilly blasts Tiger

AAARGGGH. My very lengthy post was dumped by some glitch when I hit reply. Here is the abbreviated version.
1. Tiger was taught golf, maybe not so much life.
2. Water seeks it's own level. Elin is just as warped as Tiger or they would not have hooked up. Jesper is being codependent when he barks.
3. I take lessons to learn better golf so I am not a hack. Tiger needs lessons from a friend or mentor in how to live a "normal" life. Sinatra was a working guy and tipped big. Tiger never waited tables, cut lawns, etc. At 18 he got 60 MILLION from Nike! After that everyone wanted $$$ from him and he probably held back too much.
4. I want to see him reach the major mark. I feel privileged to have seen him play the best ( in my opinion) golf anyone may ever see.

I think your comments should be carved into a piece of granite for posterity.

Well said!
VERY well said! :thumb: :D

The reality of the Tiger situation is that Tiger is free to do whatever he wants as far as his caddy is concerned. Guys change caddies all the time and nobody says a word about it. Tiger does it and it's open forum on him. Steve Williams sees himself as a celebrity, which he's not. He's a CADDIE. Nobody has ever gone to a golfing event or watched golf on TV to see a caddie work. Williams has made lots of money working for Tiger for years. His dream job has come to an end.....deal with it!! To be taking potshots at Tiger know he comes off sound ling like a jilted lover and sour grapes. Deal with it Williams....who truth be known isn't the nicest guy on the planet either.

No one says a word? I don't agree with that, but I don't think they are comparable. Tiger's fame puts everything he does on a pedestal. It's not exactly his choice (as far as I know), but it's made him obscenely rich doing something he loved (at least at some point). Being that Tiger announces his every golf move via website or news conference, why does it surprise you that articles like this are written?

Until he stops being Tiger, or loses his almost-cult following, this is how it's going to be. Love him, or hate him.

No. In some respects I don't think he went far enough.

+1! So many more things he could have called him out on. I wish all the media would do this instead of still praising him like a god.

Tiger has a really bad rep here in Vegas too. A town built on tips....

That is interesting Gh. Everytime I see video of him on the range he is laughing with somebody at the range or putting green. I know him and Darren Clarke are great friends. Do you know this as fact or speculation? Just asking not trying to say you don't know.

Edit: And Jespers comments mean nothing really. I mean Jesper was the boss of Elin and hooked them up so of course he is going to be very angry at TW
Good point about Jesper's comments. I know that many of the guys on tour respect him for his game (obviously), but if you look back over the past 10-12 years there is an awful lot of grumbling and articles about how guys think he was really snotty and very much a loner. Now does that make him a tool? No. But when someone has the $$$$ he has and has the personal skills of a drill saw....I mean come on. It doesn't take rocket science to think "hmmm.... I have alot of money. This waiter doesn't. Is 12% enough for a tip?" I do know there was an article during the Ryder Cup stating how this was the first time Tiger had been at the same hotel as the other players and that it was the first time they had seen him off the course.

That is interesting Gh. Everytime I see video of him on the range he is laughing with somebody at the range or putting green. I know him and Darren Clarke are great friends. Do you know this as fact or speculation? Just asking not trying to say you don't know.

Edit: And Jespers comments mean nothing really. I mean Jesper was the boss of Elin and hooked them up so of course he is going to be very angry at TW

Good points Chunky on the Darren Clarke thing too. I'm sure he does have friends on tour - Bubba, O' Meara, Clarke. I just always think he seems like an outsider. He reminds me of Kobe with his teammates, when I see him joking around on the putting green. I always think it's fake or forced. But again, I've never been a big Tiger guy - so it could be I'm seeing what I want to see.

Where's this stuff about Tiger not tipping waiter's enough coming from?.....because Rick Reilly made it up? I have NEVER heard anything like this said about Tiger before. Tiger's charity raises MILLIONS of dollars every year. I don't see Reilly talking about that. Instead he wants to make Tiger out to be a cheapskate. As I said in my earlier post, it's too easy to kick people when they are down. The media did it to Michael Jackson for years and probably played a big part in his life ending prematurely. Tiger's right not to trust the media....too many people jealous of who he is and what he's achieved.

What should matter to Tiger is, prior to his extramarital affairs, he was very well liked on the Tour. The players realize that the huge increase in purses, sponsorship and TV viewers was largely due to Tiger. They want that to continue. What's funny is that the persona Phil Mickelson plays in the public eye, you would think he's popular and well-liked. The reality is that's not the case.

Where's this stuff about Tiger not tipping waiter's enough coming from?.....because Rick Reilly made it up? I have NEVER heard anything like this said about Tiger before. Tiger's charity raises MILLIONS of dollars every year. I don't see Reilly talking about that. Instead he wants to make Tiger out to be a cheapskate. As I said in my earlier post, it's too easy to kick people when they are down. The media did it to Michael Jackson for years and probably played a big part in his life ending prematurely. Tiger's right not to trust the media....too many people jealous of who he is and what he's achieved.

What should matter to Tiger is, prior to his extramarital affairs, he was very well liked on the Tour. The players realize that the huge increase in purses, sponsorship and TV viewers was largely due to Tiger. They want that to continue. What's funny is that the persona Phil Mickelson plays in the public eye, you would think he's popular and well-liked. The reality is that's not the case.

This post is actually pretty funny to me. I know its not meant to be, but it is. That TW stuff about tipping has been around for close to a decade. Interviews have been done, and its pretty well known. Having a wonderful foundation does not make someone a good person all the time. It means they have a wonderful foundation.

And Michael Jackson? Really? Im not sure that I would want to compare the two in those lights. I mean MJ was a little creepy and there was a trial and all.

You must spend a lot of time out on the tour to see what the peers think about Phil. Its actually in our experience quite the opposite of what you are describing. I get that TW fans are sensitive right now and they hate Phil and that is fine, but looking at things objectively you see very different things than what subjective view points have on the subject.

I've heard the same. But he tipped when he was here.

Ryan Moore on the other hand? Cheapest MFer out there.

Give me a ring next time you're in vegas. I'll give you 5-1 odds that you could pick any local you want and they'll tell you the same thing about Tiger (Or Barkley, or Jordan, or J. Lo for that matter....)

CLassic Tiger fan bashing Phil, for what? Wow! Tiger fans suck so much it disturbs me.

Tiger fans make talking about tiger suck.

Agreed. I almost ignore all Tiger talk now b/c it's completely irrational and non subjective.

It's always Phil's fault.

This post is actually pretty funny to me. I know its not meant to be, but it is. That TW stuff about tipping has been around for close to a decade. Interviews have been done, and its pretty well known. Having a wonderful foundation does not make someone a good person all the time. It means they have a wonderful foundation.

And Michael Jackson? Really? Im not sure that I would want to compare the two in those lights. I mean MJ was a little creepy and there was a trial and all.

You must spend a lot of time out on the tour to see what the peers think about Phil. Its actually in our experience quite the opposite of what you are describing. I get that TW fans are sensitive right now and they hate Phil and that is fine, but looking at things objectively you see very different things than what subjective view points have on the subject.

His wonderful foundation also gives him a wonderful tax break. I'm sure he needs a few.

I do believe that it is very well documented that Tiger is a cheapster. The media has the biggest freaking love affair with Tiger it is actually nauseating. This guy has had so many free passes it is disturbing. When the allegations came out, I defended Tiger and said that he would not do something like that. You can look it up on the threads. When I had proof that he was who he was, I had to deal with it and I had to rethink my perception of Tiger. I can honestly say that I was a Tiger homer like most new golfers are. Even till a few weeks ago, I secretly wanted Tiger to "Come Back," but it is becoming harder and harder to separate Tiger the golfer from Tiger the stingy billionaire. I don't think anyone is jealous, because, like you said, everybody made more money when he was there and playing well. Heck, even JB has said how much thread views go up when Tiger is a topic. It takes a special kind of guy to make people not like him when he helps them make more money, you know what I mean?

Agreed. I almost ignore all Tiger talk now b/c it's completely irrational and non subjective.

It's always Phil's fault.

I heard Phil is a jerk too when he is not on camera.... :D

I heard Phil is a jerk too when he is not on camera.... :D

I've heard this too from many resources. Folks say he's all smiles in front of the public and camera. But, once they're gone he's actually a prick.

A few things I can always expect from a Tiger Thread:
1)Someone bashing Tiger
2)Someone not understanding why people Bash Tiger
3)More bashing of Tiger
4)Someone putting up the :popcorn:smilie
5)BTW Did you know Phil's a prick too?

A few things I can always expect from a Tiger Thread:
1)Someone bashing Tiger
2)Someone not understanding why people Bash Tiger
3)More bashing of Tiger
4)Tiger fan blowing things out of proportion
5)BTW Did you know Phil's a prick too?

6)Someone putting up the :popcorn:smilie

Without question.
How dare anybody say anything objective (never mind negative) about Mr. Woods.

Without question.
How dare anybody say anything objective (never mind negative) about Mr. Woods.

Puppies and Ice Cream JB! Puppies and Ice Cream! :D

So there are rumours on ESPN about Williams writing a tell all book about Tiger.
Ok first, I thought he was the loyal one?
Second, what more could he write about that the world doesn't know? (Insert funny comment here)
Third, where do I pre-order this book? haha

So there are rumours on ESPN about Williams writing a tell all book about Tiger.
Ok first, I thought he was the loyal one?
Second, what more could he write about that the world doesn't know? (Insert funny comment here)
Third, where do I pre-order this book? haha

I posted that this morning in the other thread. Stevie said after he retires he will write a book and a chapter will be about TW.
What the world does not know, I could only imagine how shocking.

It took longer than I thought to bring Phil into this. That dude is so evil he makes Tiger do bad things. His autographs are all signed with puppy blood. That is why he signs so many so that he can kill more puppies.

Back