SeeMore Counter-Balanced Putter Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I found out about this one at the Branson Invitational and since then I've been all kinds of eager for this package to make its way from THP HQ all the way to the THP Oklahoma Outpost.

Despite being around FOR-EV-ER (Sandlot voice) backweighting and counter-balancing has been spreading like wildfire throughout the putter manufacturers of the world. From the smallest to the largest, you name them and they have at least been tinkering in offering some sort of counter-balanced putter to their customers. That being said, I was extremely excited when SeeMore announced that they would be offering extended length counter-balanced putters. You see, every putter that I own is backweighted, it is something I vehemently believe in (as any who have golfed with me here will tell you), but I've not experienced the extended length counter-balanced backweigting technique yet, until the package arrived today and I took it straight to the course.

First though, some background from SeeMore about this line:

Counter-Balanced Putters

SeeMore Counter Balanced Putters are the next evolution in longer than standard length putters, offering the golfer the game improvement benefits of a belly putter in a non-anchored design. The counter balanced feature actually allows the golfer to realize the advanced stabilization benefits of a longer and heavier putter without feeling like the putter is too long or too heavy. This is achieved when the golfer, by design, chokes down on the longer and heavier grip, effectively using the added weights at both ends of the putter for added balance to ensure a smooth, repeatable, effective stroke.

SeeMore's Counter Balanced putters are designed to be optimal at around 38 inches for most golfers, typically 3-4 inches longer than a standard length putter would be. Counter balanced putters are custom built at SeeMore's Tennessee factory with a minimum of 25 grams of extra weight added to the putter head, in the form of a pure milled internal hosel. This also allows for any time customization of lie or loft as needed. The extra head weight and the extra weight of the longer and heavier shaft is all balanced out by the fact that the special 18 inch grip weighs 125 grams. SeeMore Counter Balanced putters can be customized as desired to whatever length the golfer wishes.

So, pretty simple concept right? I think so at least, by combining a heavier putter head with a heavier grip-weight/length combination on the butt end of the club you effectively quiet the hands and stabilize the stroke, while all at the same time not feeling like you are using a truly heavy headed putter.

When I began doing my initial research the thing that hit me the most was that SeeMore has provided this option in a WIDE variety of putter headstyles from their PCB line all the way up the the mSeries line and this effectively covers the price gamut from 150.00 all the way up to 345.00.

For this frontpage review I actually received the SeeMore PCB putter, which is a headshape that I have surprisingly not rolled until now. The PCB is a cast stainless steel (milled face) face-balanced design that comes in with a headweight of 375 grams to go with the 125 gram FeelTec belly grip. The PCB for this review came in at 38" which is 2" longer than what I was fit for in a standard putter by an SPi instructor.

I played 27 holes with the PCB Counter-Balanced today and definitely have some thoughts, but first some pictures and I'll share my early feelings in another post in just a bit (more pic's will be taken later, camera battery was dying).

Putter head:

DSC_0567-L.jpg

DSC_0571-L.jpg

DSC_0572-L.jpg

DSC_0573-L.jpg

DSC_0576-L.jpg

DSC_0577-L.jpg

FeelTec belly grip:

DSC_0578-L.jpg

DSC_0585-L.jpg

DSC_0586-L.jpg

Whole Putter:

DSC_0582-L.jpg

Length Comparison:

DSC_0590-L.jpg

Looking forward to following along with this one.
Great pics to start us off with

I love the look of that! I just spoke with Alex today about getting the M1 I won on the Bay counter-weighted. Can't wait to see what you think, because to me, you're the putter guru.

I am really interested in reading your thoughts James. I am loving the counter weighted design of my Tank. If I did leave the Tank for some reason, this line is the first place I would look.

• Staff
Soooooooo....I'm one to usually let things digest a day, but on the grounds of Beags might kill me if I do so, some general thoughts from today.

1) The PCB head is a pleasant surprise. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm impressed with the sound/feel off the face, lower pitched and gives the sensation of a being firm without being overly clicky like i honestly expected it would be.

2) Does not feel like a 375g putter head with a 125g backweight, the overall package is balanced REALLY well to where you don't realize the heft you have in hand. A good thing IMO.

3) I like the added length and ability to choke down or up a LOT more than I thought I would. On short tappers its nice to choke that sucker all the way down for added control and I honestly feel like the ability to move up and down might help me with my distance variations (lag, tap in, etc) as well, but that's to be seen as its obviously REALLY early

4) From a distance I was ALL OVER it on pace and distance today right out of the gates, had several 30+ footers I snuggled up to within a foot and a half left or right. My aim was off as I was adjusting to the siteline/flange setup on the PCB. As the day went though it came around.

5) Really struggled with pace on the 5-7 footers early as the weight is so balanced I forgot how heavy the head actually was and used to large of a shoulder rock, all user error and an adjustment period. Not worried at all. Smaller rock and we're good.

6) I know SeeMore is recommending 3-4 inches longer than your standard putter, but I'm digging the 38" as opposed to a 39-40" which would be where my recommended range is. Definitely want to toy with that down the road.

7) I thought the belly grip would feel awkward to me but it didn't at all. In fact, because of how long it is its almost a non tapered feel which I love.

8)The pink headcover is AWESOME. We need a LIME GREEN PATENT HC SEEMORE!!!!

More thoughts as they come to me, I promise, should get out tomorrow again and this weekend we will get a LOT of THP'ers thoughts in Dallas!

AS ALWAYS if you have ANY questions feel free to ask and I'll do whatever I can to answer or find you the answer!

Oh man James that is one good looking putter. I've never tried a counter balanced club, so it'll be interesting to see your thoughts. As always, great pictures.

So awesome James. The PCB was my very first SeeMore and I really really enjoyed it. Kinda wish I didn't sell it off. Anyways, looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the counter balanced putters.

Great initial thoughts Jman! I never would've thought about choking up/down depending on length but it makes sense for control purposes.

I think at $150 for the PCB or big FGP it is an outstanding value at an entry level price without being an entry level putter.

Agree on the lime green headcover - even for the mallets!!

Really looking forward to this weekend and watching you put this into play.

Great initial thoughts James. I've always thought the seemore and RST was born for this kind of platform. I hope I can roll one soon.

Siri speaks for me!

Guys, I didn't see it mentioned in James' post, but I want to inform you (in case you didn't know) that SeeMore is willing and able to convert your current SeeMore putter into a counter-weighted putter!!!

I had this putter head for a bit and liked the center shafted look. I had a hard time squaring the face but liked the weight.

Great initial thoughts Jman! I never would've thought about choking up/down depending on length but it makes sense for control purposes.

I think at $150 for the PCB or big FGP it is an outstanding value at an entry level price without being an entry level putter.

Agree on the lime green headcover - even for the mallets!!

Really looking forward to this weekend and watching you put this into play.

Lime green would be INSANE.

I feel like we're going to be sharing a putter on Sat/Sun. I honest to goodness think you're really going to enjoy this setup.

Great initial thoughts James. I've always thought the seemore and RST was born for this kind of platform. I hope I can roll one soon.

Siri speaks for me!

I agree, I've always believed that a SeeMore with the RST IS a belly putter without the anchor point, it just makes sense to me to bring the counterbalancing and almost belly setup into it.

Guys, I didn't see it mentioned in James' post, but I want to inform you (in case you didn't know) that SeeMore is willing and able to convert your current SeeMore putter into a counter-weighted putter!!!

Indeed. I've got a couple I'm really considering sending in. (I'm looking at YOU M1 Private Reserve)

I had this putter head for a bit and liked the center shafted look. I had a hard time squaring the face but liked the weight.

I saw this EXACT thing today Freddie, I was missing both sides and felt like I just couldn't get it tuned in. But, I'm betting a few more rounds solves that as my eye adjusts to how it squares the ball and such.

Again, if any of you have ANY Q's don't hesitate to ask!

Ever since putting my Cleveland Almost Belly into play, I'll never go back to a normal putter. Counter-balanced is awesome.

So after hearing how reasonable it is to have Seemore counter balance a putter you send them, I'm thinking of Sending them That old Si2 you sold me a year or so ago. Any reason you can think of that I shouldn't, Jman?

This is a really great looking putter. It will be interesting to follow along and see how well it works for you. I have yet to even roll a SeeMore, much less a PCB, but it is on my to do list.

So after hearing how reasonable it is to have Seemore counter balance a putter you send them, I'm thinking of Sending them That old Si2 you sold me a year or so ago. Any reason you can think of that I shouldn't, Jman?

Not that I can think of dude, its pretty dang cheap to have done and thanks to the internal hosel's they can add the weight pretty easily to them. I like it.

James, can you talk about the biggest differences you noticed with this? I read that it's great for golfers that have a jerky take-away. Have you noticed it stabilizing the stroke more?

James, can you talk about the biggest differences you noticed with this? I read that it's great for golfers that have a jerky take-away. Have you noticed it stabilizing the stroke more?

No problem DK.

That is the EXACT reason all of my putters are backweighted. I've found that it really does aid in a smooth takeaway and change of motion though the putting stroke. Now, all of my putters at 35-36" are backweighted only about 20-30g because they are standard 335-350g headweights, but its the same basic principal just on a larger size/scale. The coolest thing is that it doesn't FEEL like a HEAVY putter in hand because of the backweight moving that balance point up the shaft. Very cool.

No matter the brand/make/model I've always been a big believer that backweighting/counterbalancing in the putter could help a TON of amateurs on the greens.

I can't speak to the Seemores exactly, but since going to a head heavy back weighted putter, that has been one of the biggest plusses, it has REALLY smoothed out my takeway, as well as my transition.

There literally hasn't been a downside for me.

I can't speak to the Seemores exactly, but since going to a head heavy back weighted putter, that has been one of the biggest plusses, it has REALLY smoothed out my takeway, as well as my transition.

Pretty much the sentiment you get from anyone who finally tries one, there really is a LOT to it. Granted, in the end how much someone really enjoys the setup will come back to the quality of the head, but the principal of backweighting/counterbalancing is incredibly legit.

No problem DK.

That is the EXACT reason all of my putters are backweighted. I've found that it really does aid in a smooth takeaway and change of motion though the putting stroke. Now, all of my putters at 35-36" are backweighted only about 20-30g because they are standard 335-350g headweights, but its the same basic principal just on a larger size/scale. The coolest thing is that it doesn't FEEL like a HEAVY putter in hand because of the backweight moving that balance point up the shaft. Very cool.

No matter the brand/make/model I've always been a big believer that backweighting/counterbalancing in the putter could help a TON of amateurs on the greens.

Thank you guys so much! This has really reassured me that I'm making the right decision. I can't wait to get my M1 and get it in to SeeMore for the necessary modifications.

I really look forward to trying this because I've started noticing recently that my take away isn't as fluid as I would like. I also tend to miss putts both ways because of it, which this should also solve.

Thank you guys so much! This has really reassured me that I'm making the right decision. I can't wait to get my M1 and get it in to SeeMore for the necessary modifications.

I really look forward to trying this because I've started noticing recently that my take away isn't as fluid as I would like. I also tend to miss putts both ways because of it, which this should also solve.

The other thing about it DK, the length isn't as noticable as you might think it would/will be. That's something that really clicked with me today as its the first time I've actually had a true extended length counter balanced putter in hand and on course.

The other thing about it DK, the length isn't as noticable as you might think it would/will be. That's something that really clicked with me today as its the first time I've actually had a true extended length counter balanced putter in hand and on course.

That was the one thing I worried about, but I know it's something I could get over regardless. I like to choke down on the putter to quiet my hands anyhow, so this will be excellent for me.

Great initial thoughts! I'm excited to hear this talk about SeeMore counterbalancing a putter you already own! I'm gonna definitely look into this in the off season.

Back