• Absolutely, it's hot

Votes: 92 50.0%
  • No way

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • Who cares what they wear

Votes: 66 35.9%

• Total voters
Shorts optional based on temps. Otherwise I say let them wear whatever

What do you think? If you were given the vote to allow shorts on tour, which way would you go and why?

I'd vote yes. Might be some chicken legs here or there, but there is with the rest of us, so no big deal. Works for the ladies..........but of course they have better looking legs.

It would be a bold move by one tournament to allow shorts as a test case.

I wear shorts pretty much all year so I have no issue if they were to wear them. Most of the OEM's make very nice shorts now so they would still look respectable. Its also nice when it is stinking hot to have some breeze blowing around your legs helping keep you cool. To be honest im watching them golf and not what sort of pants they have on.

It tradition, its classy, it distinguishes the profession. I might have to give up the game if Pros started wear shorts in PGA events.

Let them wear whatever they want, but I do think alot of guys will still wear slacks #chickenlegs

I'd like to hear an explanation for how anyone could possibly interpret the language of the player handbook - i.e., that the clothing worn by the players must be "consistent with currently accepted golf fashion" - to exclude shorts. Maybe I could be persuaded otherwise, but I think any argument that "currently accepted golf fashion" does not include shorts is going to be tortured at best. For the record, I'm completely in favor of letting the players wear shorts, but even if I was anti-shorts, I think I'd have to concede that the language of the handbook should pretty clearly include them.

I also happen to think that it's a good rule. Back when it the accepted fashion was ties, that's what players wore. When it was pants only, that's what they wore. Now that it is very obviously accepted to wear shorts, the tour players should still have to wear pants? And it's not like all the sudden, we're going to see these guys in cutoff jeans or ripped cargo shorts like you might see at the cheapest muni in town. They're going to be wearing nice shorts made out of the same high tech material from the same reputable brands that make their pants.

I could absolutely care less if they wear shorts or pants, it should be up to them IMO. They're more like contractors than employees of the tour to me. If you work for a company, you know the rules going in so there shouldn't be any sour grapes if you sign up for it knowing beforehand. I find some of the new nike college hoops uniforms completely gross with the spandex tank top and shorts closer to the ankle than the knee, but I still enjoy hoops.

Just curious, but do you consider the women on the LPGA unprofessional because they wear shorts/skorts?

Nope. I think comparing the LPGA and the PGA Tour is foolish to be honest. They only thing they share is "PGA" in the title.

Nope. I think comparing the LPGA and the PGA Tour is foolish to be honest. They only thing they share is "PGA" in the title.

Well to be fair they share a bit more.
They are both golf tours
Both professional golf tours
In fact I think they share more than they dont share.

Well to be fair they share a bit more.
They are both golf tours
Both professional golf tours
In fact I think they share more than they dont share.

Objectively you are right. I am speaking as someone in a corporate organization that I think most identify with, men wear pants to work, women can wear skirts. It's old fashioned but PGA players are the equivalent I believe and as such a higher level is expected in dress and decorum.

I dont care if PGA players wear shorts, wont diminish my desire to watch the product but there are some things I would like to remain constant, attire being one of them.

Objectively you are right. I am speaking as someone in a corporate organization that I think most identify with, men wear pants to work, women can wear skirts. It's old fashioned but PGA players are the equivalent I believe and as such a higher level is expected in dress and decorum.

I dont care if PGA players wear shorts, wont diminish my desire to watch the product but there are some things I would like to remain constant, attire being one of them.

If that was the way it was, I think I would be fine. However the women are not wearing skirts, but shorts. The only thing standing in the way is a thing that this sport needs to get over in a bad way.

I would not have a problem with shorts, though I do like pants for some events. Maybe do it based on temps. If forecast high is above 80 degrees, shorts are ok. Except for Majors. Would like to see slacks for all 4 of those.
"

This would work for me. I agree with this assessment.

If that was the way it was, I think I would be fine. However the women are not wearing skirts, but shorts. The only thing standing in the way is a thing that this sport needs to get over in a bad way.

Well, if attire is what's holding back the game from being embraced by the masses I think it's a stretch. I get the logic, but I dont think it's in the spectrum of what is keeping the public entrenched in the idea its a sport for the elite.

Well, if attire is what's holding back the game from being embraced by the masses I think it's a stretch. I get the logic, but I dont think it's in the spectrum of what is keeping the public entrenched in the idea its a sport for the elite.

Thats not what I said. Its the entire thing about the elitest sport. Sports steeped in tradition like this, that are holding onto "values" stuck in the stone age get the label. The one thing holding back the "change" (in attire) is the label, which is deserved.

I thought this was just a topic of conversation for the forum. But I am seeing that you feel real strong about this.
Thats not what I said. Its the entire thing about the elitest sport. Sports steeped in tradition like this, that are holding onto "values" stuck in the stone age get the label. The one thing holding back the "change" (in attire) is the label, which is deserved.

Outside of the amount of money a player can earn and their gender, what is different between the two?

I thought this was just a topic of conversation for the forum. But I am seeing that you feel real strong about this.

I have an opinion just like anybody else. Its not real strong one way or the other, but I find things like "I will give up golf if they wear shorts" fairly funny.

Outside of the amount of money a player can earn and their gender, what is different between the two?

Impact on the game in general.
TV Ratings.
Sponsorship involvement.

Just a few I can throw out.

It tradition, its classy, it distinguishes the profession. I might have to give up the game if Pros started wear shorts in PGA events.

But you're good with the LPGA?

I have an opinion just like anybody else. Its not real strong one way or the other, but I find things like "I will give up golf if they wear shorts" fairly funny.

Not my argument. Like I said if they wore shorts I would still watch and love the game and it would not diminish my attention. But, if I had to pick one or the other I prefer the look of players wearing pants.

Not my argument. Like I said if they wore shorts I would still watch and love the game and it would not diminish my attention. But, if I had to pick one or the other I prefer the look of players wearing pants.

Definitely wasn't yours. It was posted in this thread somewhere. Im mobile, but let me see if I can find it.

Definitely let them wear shorts. Fashion standards evolve in all aspects of business and elsewhere, and should here as well.

Maybe a phased in approach would work. Move up to recommending knickers for a period of time before allowing shorts.

But you're good with the LPGA?
I have no issue with women wearing shorts on their tour. Its a very neat and professional look. I don't think women should have to dress like men in the golf course.

I am still a PGA pro at heart and I don't like pants in a professional golf environment should be. I think it brings a level a distinction to the title. Play in short when it calls for it away from the profession on your own time. If the PGA allowed PGA professional to wear shorts, I think it would take away a great deal from the game as whole. I actually think the sport would be taken less seriously.

I think certain professions require a look that sets them a part. Call me old fashioned but that how I get down.

I am still a PGA pro at heart and I don't like pants in a professional golf environment should be. I think it brings a level a distinction to the title. Play in short when it calls for it away from the profession on your own time. If the PGA allowed PGA professional to wear shorts, I think it would take away a great deal from the game as whole. I actually think the sport would be taken less seriously.

I think certain professions require a look that sets them a part. Call me old fashioned but that how I get down.

I think there is a very big difference between PGA Professionals in their setting and PGA Tour in their setting.

Back