So this happened during my round...

Ndfan301

Reaction score
Handicap

I hit a wayward tee shot, which left me with a approach going over a tree. Cleared the tree but went about 10 ft to far right into this bunker. The wood wall is roughly 3.5 - 4' tall, came up over my waist and I'm only 5'9". The hole was located about just about the top right corner of the first picture, however on a slope so going at it wasn't advisable. I went for it and opened up my 58* as much as I could, and hoped I didn't hit the hall then hit myself in the face.

Anyone else experience a bunker shot like this?

Never have been in a bunker like that. But I would have done the same thing, open the 58° and get it up fast!

Never have been in a bunker like that. But I would have done the same thing, open the 58° and get it up fast!

Same thing for me and I'd brace myself for the ricochet

I'd think twice before hitting it. But open up the club and close my eyes lol

Same thing for me and I'd brace myself for the ricochet

No way. Right over the top of the wall and the other side of the green. 2 putt for my bogey. Haha

And people say the flop wall on Big Break is pointless!

I'd think twice before hitting it. But open up the club and close my eyes lol
I always put my tongue over my top teeth and close up the yapper, too. Mama paid good money for these things. I would hate to lose teeth to a golf ball. But I would definitely take a shot, so to speak, at that wall.

Awesome chance to make an unforgettable shot, I'd take my chances.

Ndfan...how did the shot go?

So how far were you from the wall? It looks to be 2.5 to 3 feet, I would think that to be a little too close to try to do anything but just get it out of the bunker. If that is the case I would just play the safe shot out of the bunker and take a chance on getting up and down from there. Sometimes it is best to just take your medicine.

Happened to me once. I originally thought of hitting it on the opposite direction but couldn't get a good position on the ball. So, I opened up my 60 degree wedge and prayed that the ball doesn't ricochet off the wall and hit me. Miraculously, I got it out of there onto the green then 2 putted for bogey. I still can't believe I got it out of that bunker.

is that Pete Dye design, he loves a good Railroad Tie wall

Nice! I've been in a couple bunkers like that. Like you said, open up your lob wedge and pop it up. Shouldn't be moving too fast so I wouldn't worry about the ricochet too much.

Never seen anything even close to that around me. Looks fun to at least try.

Punch a hybrid and bounce it back to the fairway. That way if have a nice yardage in...for my 3 putt.

So did you make it onto the green?

That is a rough lie

I would have played it sideways or backwards and take my medicine and try to get out with a bogy

Brutal!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Awesome chance to make an unforgettable shot, I'd take my chances.

Ndfan...how did the shot go?

So how far were you from the wall? It looks to be 2.5 to 3 feet, I would think that to be a little too close to try to do anything but just get it out of the bunker. If that is the case I would just play the safe shot out of the bunker and take a chance on getting up and down from there. Sometimes it is best to just take your medicine.

Punch a hybrid and bounce it back to the fairway. That way if have a nice yardage in...for my 3 putt.

So did you make it onto the green?

It's was about 2.5 feet. I was playing by myself and ended up using the round as a full practice to try and get my driver and 3 wood dialed in, as well as my distances on my irons. So I thought "why not try it" I need bunker practice anyways. Opened up my 58* and ended up clearing the wall but just barely. Trickled just the other side of the rail. Had to chip onto the green from there.

is that Pete Dye design, he loves a good Railroad Tie wall

Ha! I wish it was Pete Dye. That'd be awesome.

Tapping it from the mini

I can't say I've had to hit over 4 feet of railroad ties, but I have been in a bunker that deep with a natural wall. Greenside bunker on a par 5 that I reached in two. I had to hit one nearly straight up... ended up taking 3 shots to get out and making 7 on that hole. I think if I'm faced with that again I'd hit backwards and then flop one up onto the green. I'd rather have a putt at par than still be trying to get off the beach with my 5th shot. feels bad, man

That is just a tough out. I would definitely try to get out over the wall. I would open up my 60 as much as possible, and probably fly over the green, but it would be out, maybe.

THP #theking #imwithchad

that is pretty gnarly right there. I've been in some deep bunkers, but never against a wall like that. Pretty nutty.

Wow, tough break there. I've never been in a situation like that! Not sure how I'd play that.

Back