Spank818's Aldila DVS Review

Spank818

Brian Gaysian
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 4.19
Hello all... I was one of the lucky ones who will be testing out this fine product. I will post my findings here on this thread and as always questions will always be welcome.

I will be testing this shaft on a TaylorMade R9 original and the comparison will be to the stock Fujikura Motore 65 shaft that comes with the driver. Both shafts are in stiff flex. I am currently installing another sleeve on the DVS so I can do some quicker comparisons with both shafts. Also being installed on the DVS will be a Winn Lite firm grip that I've been itching to try out as well.

I will be getting on the launch monitor at the Golf Galaxy to compare some numbers. I will be posting initial pics on this thread so stay tuned for that. On a side note, I want to thank Aldila and THP for letting us forum members sample out some products. We always hear about how wonderful these shafts are on ads and tv and it's just great to hear that companies want to hear what the average golfer has to say. Thanks again for this opportunity.

Here's the graphics...
DSC05527.jpg

The R9 sleeve I was attaching...
DSC05528.jpg

The 2 comparison shafts...
DSC05529.jpg

As you can tell, the DVS is close to 1 inch longer than the Motore...
DSC05530.jpg

Numbers from the launch monitor for the stock Motore...
IMG_0108.jpg

Numbers from the launch monitor for the Aldila DVS...
IMG_0107.jpg

My initial when I received it was a) definitely lighter than the stock Motore (63g to 65g), b) definitely longer as well (46" to 45.25"). I hit the monitor as soon as I picked up the shaft so those numbers above are hitting cold. The first thing that popped into my mind was I had to get used to the length of this first. I must have pushed the first 8 balls right due to the length. I could have the option of cutting it down but I decided not to yet and see if I can control it with the initial length. I have a pretty fast downswing so torque was an issue that I wanted to see on this model compared to the stock Motore on the R9. Numbers wise the stock shaft for torque is 3.4 and the DVS is 3.3. I read on dustklose's review that the butt stiffness was apparent and I would have to agree with him. I expected more "whip" since it was lighter and longer than my stock shaft but it felt rigid enough that I wasn't getting any "whip" effects on the DVS. As you can see from the numbers above that I was getting relatively similar results between the two shafts except for back spin and distance on all of my swings. I was consistently 5-10 yards longer on the DVS with higher spin than the Motore.

The looks of it are simple (not too many graphics) and the color is pretty looking. One thing though about this color is that finding a grip to match was a pain. I found that black is the only way to go with this shaft as the red offerings by the grip companies looked too bright compared to the "cinnamon" hue of the shaft. I did get the Winn Lite grip installed and so far I am impressed with that grip as well (even though the price point on it was a little high).

Overall, I was impressed for the first hitting granted I was doing it cold. I don't like the feel of a "whippy" driver due to my swing characteristics and the DVS didn't feel that way at all. I will be taking this out to the range so I can get some more comparisons done then taking it to the course for a gaming review. Stay tuned.

very thorough and informative spank. i can't wait to hear about your outdoor experiences with the shaft. based off of your numbers it looks like this shaft might be a good move for you.

Great review, I too think the shaft is very good looking. Even though I cut mine down I am hoping I get the same results as you. I can't wait to read how she performs on the course.

Good stuff. Love the launch monitor stats, interesting to note the spin change. But, a good little ball speed and club speed increase.

Kudos to you for being able to swing that thing at 46", that's huge! Any reason you chose not to cut it down?

Love reading this stuff!

Great stuff Spank. While I'm looking forward to the testing once mine arrives, I'm not looking forward to showing my swing speed, lol. I'll try to take my camera and post pic's of the monitor results like you did. That really show's the results well.

Good luck with it on the course, can't wait to hear your results.

With all that extra backspin I wonder if the carry+roll would end up about the same with both shafts.

nice review Spank.....i took mine out this weekend as well but my review will be quite different than yours.

Good stuff. Love the launch monitor stats, interesting to note the spin change. But, a good little ball speed and club speed increase.

Kudos to you for being able to swing that thing at 46", that's huge! Any reason you chose not to cut it down?

Love reading this stuff!

Thanks J. I wanted to see if I can control it since this shaft should benefit my game. Worst case scenario is I'll end up going to 45" like dust did and sacrifice a little distance but hey if I can give it a go at 46" then why not.

With all that extra backspin I wonder if the carry+roll would end up about the same with both shafts.

TS, I was all over the place with the spin 2500-3500 and you could very well be right. Like I said I was hitting cold so take those numbers lightly. Spin wise I'll get more feedback on the range and the course when I have turf that I can see the ball bounce.

Spank, you must have done a lot better finding the sweet spot.

You had a carry of 246, my longest carry was 226.
Your back spin was 3480 mine was 2681.
Your clubhead speed was 98 mine was 100.81.

Gives me hope knowing that if I can find the sweetspot, I may be able to pull off about a 260 yarder.

And as always, I am looking forward to reading more of your review. Its awesome how much we are both liking this shaft!

Spank, you must have done a lot better finding the sweet spot.

You had a carry of 246, my longest carry was 226.
Your back spin was 3480 mine was 2681.
Your clubhead speed was 98 mine was 100.81.

Gives me hope knowing that if I can find the sweetspot, I may be able to pull off about a 260 yarder.

And as always, I am looking forward to reading more of your review. Its awesome how much we are both liking this shaft!

Dust, I am definitely buying what this shaft is selling so far. That back spin was insane though as I think I should keep it in the 2500's at least. Believe me when I say that there were some ugliness going on as well as I had to adjust to the length of the shaft. Toed a few, thinned a few, even a couple of tee blasters.

Same here, I had a few ugly ones, and noticed that I took a couple of balls off the toe. Which probably has a big reason why my ball speed was so low. As for backspin the Ping chart that was up by the launch monitor said that for a 90-100mph swing that Ball Speed should be 135-145, Launch Angle should be 13-14*, and Back spin should be 2500-2750. No guarantee's on its accuracy though.

Well done

Well done

Spank -- Good stuff man! I have the DVS shaft in one of my drivers. The Calloway Diablo and I was very impressed with the shaft and driver. It's a great combo.. I enjoy reading good stuff like this.

I had an hour to kill today so like any sane man I headed to the range and took this baby out for a spin.

I am super impressed with this shaft. I was cranking floaters out like it was nobody's business. I had that piercing flight that I thought I would never see and my misses were either pushes slight right (which I never did before) or slices that would still be in play. From guesstimates it looks like I was also getting at least 10-15 yards more carry on the solid shots with a slight fade (I'm still working on getting that draw but my swing is just not allowing me to get there). It seems like the lightness of the club now that I have a lighter shaft and grip is making it easier for my hands to clear faster but the stiff points on the shaft are keeping it from getting that whip effect that would normally translate into a heavy slice for me.

I really can't wait to take this out to the course and see where it takes me. Unfortunately, that will have to wait until next week due to time constraints. I will try to squeeze in some more range time this weekend (hopefully for more than 45 minutes) so I can dial in better with this shaft.

I am very impressed with what the DVS has offered so far. Thanks again THP and Aldila for allowing us to test these shafts.

I have been to the course twice since I went to the range last and out of testing the shaft felt too long for me. Went to the GG today for my iron fitting and got measured for length on the driver and we decided to cut it down to 46.5". I will be at the outing this weekend so I will post notes on my round with the new length here. Stay tuned.

Went to the GG today for my iron fitting and got measured for length on the driver and we decided to cut it down to 46.5".

Spank your getting a 46" shaft cut down to 46.5", please tell mehow to do this ;)

Just playin withya man

Spank your getting a 46" shaft cut down to 46.5", please tell mehow to do this ;)

Just playin withya man

Oops forgot to detail it. It was playing at 48" with the head. So we cut it down to 46.5" total. Wise guy. :D

jeez 48" i would be 6 fairways over to the right with a shaft that long

jeez 48" i would be 6 fairways over to the right with a shaft that long

Yeah and I'm 5'7" so I looked at a mirror at address to the rear and it looked like I was wielding a fishing rod. I might still have to knock it down some more but 46.5 is close to the stock Motore that I was playing to previous.

How ya hitting it now since you cut it down?

How ya hitting it now since you cut it down?

Man it's been a while since i've been on here.

Well since my last post I worked on mechanics and wouldn't you know it, I actually hit a draw now with my miss being a hook. I have not been on a monitor with this setup since but I could feel like my swing speed has slowed down a bit (and all for the good because I feel like I'm making better contact). All from looks, of course, but my ball flight has remained the same on that mid to high which I like and I feel like sidespin has been reduced (I haven't been losing balls at the same clip as before). I will not be changing out this setup as I feel comfortable with this setup. I wanted to focus more on proper technique to deliver more consistent results and I feel this shaft/club setup fits what I desire.

Cool thanks. Keep hitting them straight

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

hey Spank how does it feel through your swing transition, i have had some shafts feel whippy and light like i was yanking them through and others feel like i was pulling a 2x4 through the air hows this one feel

hey Spank how does it feel through your swing transition, i have had some shafts feel whippy and light like i was yanking them through and others feel like i was pulling a 2x4 through the air hows this one feel

I had that whippy feeling with the stock Motore shaft that it came with. I have a fast and torquey (best word I could find) downswing with a quick transition. I used to have to almost pause at impact just so I can get that clubhead to connect. This shaft has a low torque # for a stiff shaft as well as the kickpoint helped me with the swing. It definitely does not feel like a 2x4 but I know what that feels like from my Nickent Evolver with the GD shaft. Overall, it just feels right between timing and impact. I tend to sway towards the "stiffer" shaft spectrum and the weight on this is on the light side (helps to have a Winn Lite grip on it) which might help it time the impact better. Hope that helps.

Hey Spank818..

Hope you don't mind me bumping this old thread.

Good to know u did the review of this shaft. Used the DVS 55S for almost a year.. Loved it, especially the kick with a smooth transition its longggg.. averaged 250-260 yards on this shaft.. sold it along with my Supertri and regretted it since. Should have kept it and fitted on my G20 since it was working for me.. With the stock TFC shaft on my G20, I would be lucky to even get close to 250 yard with a good drive..

I couldn't resist myself and got a rombax 5x07 fitted for the G20 just 2 hrs ago after getting good numbers on the trackman . Yet to test it on the course... fingers crossed.. :)

Wish me luck!!

Back