Spieth Can Grab #1 - Is He The Best In The World?

Right now Jordan is the best in the world. Can't wait for Rory to come back and I hope we get to see them have epic battles.

Rory I think has more shots, but Jordan is day after day the better putter. When they're both on point, I bet it's a close one.

See I think if both are on their best game Rory smokes him.

However with that being said Jordan is way more consistent at this point .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absatively the best in the world.

This thread is funny. People only a couple months ago were saying Reed and Walker were better and had better short term upside than Spieth. I realize a lot has happened, but it's still funny.

I wouldn't disagree with that, but I bet in match play it ends in a 2&1 and not a 6&5

If they're on a shorter course, I think Jordan stands a chance. Put them on a set up where Rory can use his length, game over.

Plus, Rory plays blades and Spieth uses SGI clubs, AP2 :alien:, that alone should tell you who has more game. :alien:

I wouldn't disagree with that, but I bet in match play it ends in a 2&1 and not a 6&5

I think 2011 U.S. Open Rory beats him 6&5

I just think when Rory is 100% on his game he has the potential to blow out fields .

If not, then why have the ratings?

I think 2011 U.S. Open Rory beats him 6&5

I just think when Rory is 100% on his game he has the potential to blow out fields .

That Rory could putt lights out. This Rory on the other hand burns a lot of edges.

If they're on a shorter course, I think Jordan stands a chance. Put them on a set up where Rory can use his length, game over.

Like the Masters or US Open. I don't think you could say"stands a chance" or "game over" about either one of them. They are both a dominating force and I don't really think over the long run one will dominate over the other.

Right now, he is definitely the hottest golfer in the world.

Part of me believes that at their best, Rory is better. But given his age, Jordan is a very calm force. Not much not to like

This sums it up for me as well. I think all things being equal and both bringing their absolute A game to the course I think Rory is a more talented player.

That Rory could putt lights out. This Rory on the other hand burns a lot of edges.
Is Rory still working with Stockton? He's a big "chase the handle" guy. I can't understand that move. It leads to streaky putting.

I'm a big Spieth fan, he is from Texas after all

That being said, a healthy Rory vs a healthy Spieth, I give the edge to Rory. His length has the ability to shorten courses and that seems to be the only thing holding Spieth back. On the flip side Spieth is the better putter and that helps him tremendously.

Now if Jordan continues on his run and does it with Rory in the field, then it will be hard pressed to not say he is number 1 when he is winning tournaments that Rory is playing in.

Like many it's a match I want to see and don't see it being a blow out one way or the other. The best part is that the tour is stocked with young players and its great to have these types of discussions without bringing up Eldrick to measure success by.

When an AP2 is an SGI club, I might as well stick to putt putt...

What does Spieth need to finish to be #1?

Not sure what he needs this time, but if he won the British Open he would have been #1. So after a high finish there it might be less, but I doubt anything less than 3rd.

When an AP2 is an SGI club, I might as well stick to putt putt...

What does Spieth need to finish to be #1?
The alien face emoji was the "I'm not being serious" indicator.

I've seen enough. Best player going since beginning of the season. The question that I'll ask now is: Can he get better? Can't wait to see!

I agree with he is the best currently with Rory down and out. Both 100%, I'm taking Rory.

Currently the best player in the world right now in my opinion, regardless of the rankings.

Things can turn on a dime though. Remember how when Rory rose to number one, the question was how long can he hold it?

Basic statistics says Rory is the better golfer by a surprisingly large margin. I won't even take into account Rory's overseas credentials because Jordan has none to compare. But Rory has competed in 95 PGA Tour events with a 11.5% winning percentage, 47% top 10 finish, and 65% top 25 finishes. Meanwhile Jordan is at 6% winning percentage, 37% top 10 finishes, and 62% top 25s.

So as much as I love Jordan, I've got to give the nod to Rory.

Last edited:
I think Spieth taking the #1 ranking has everything to do with him and not Rory's injury. Winning 2 majors and just missing the playoff in a 3rd. Throw in a few wins, playoff loss, and a number of top ten finishes. That isn't backing into the top spot that is coming and taking it.

I think Spieth taking the #1 ranking has everything to do with him and not Rory's injury. Winning 2 majors and just missing the playoff in a 3rd. Throw in a few wins, playoff loss, and a number of top ten finishes. That isn't backing into the top spot that is coming and taking it.

Jordan has been playing great and he deserves the #1 if he takes it, but let's not pretend Rory's injury has not helped that cause. You do realize that we are less than a year removed when Rory won 3 straight tournaments including 2 majors and a WGC event. Add that to the 2 wins Rory has had in 2015 and 6/8 top 10s.

Last edited:
Yeah he's the best. I fully believe he'll be better than Rory too.

For this stretch of time, I think he could comfortably be assigned that title and no one would blink - and frankly, he deserves it. The golf world doesn't stop when the top guy gets hurt and others attempt to achieve the crown.

Back