Spieth Can Grab #1 - Is He The Best In The World?

Right now I say yes. He has proven to consistently be the best or one the best in every field since the Masters.

Will he maintain this over a long period of years or is it just a career year. Only time will be able to answer this.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any question that Jordan is the best player in the world right now. He's consistently in the hunt, won 2 majors and what, 2....3 other tourneys this year? I mean, he had a chance to get into that playoff at the Open. Plus, I truly believe he may have one of the best mental games on the Tour right now. He is just so confident, and it shows.

~Rock

Right now, absolutely.

there's something about him that makes me hesitant to admit that he's the best in the world, but the results don't lie. and he's just so darn easy to root for. but if that putter goes a little cold, i think he tumbles down since imho there's nothing else particularly special about his game. granted, the putter is arguably the one club that seems to set most of these guys apart from each other.

Basic statistics says Rory is the better golfer by a surprisingly large margin. I won't even take into account Rory's overseas credentials because Jordan has none to compare. But Rory has competed in 95 PGA Tour events with a 11.5% winning percentage, 47% top 10 finish, and 65% top 25 finishes. Meanwhile Jordan is at .6% winning percentage, 37% top 10 finishes, and 62% top 25s.

So as much as I love Jordan, I've got to give the nod to Rory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you made a decimal point error....Jordan has played in 77 events with 5 wins, so 6.5% win pct on tour, not .6%. That being said, I still think Rory is #1 in the world still. Rory's even has a higher PGA win pct this year than Spieth, not to mention all his wins on the European Tour. Though I think we have our modern day Jack and Arnie brewing....

I think you made a decimal point error....Jordan has played in 77 events with 5 wins, so 6.5% win pct on tour, not .6%. That being said, I still think Rory is #1 in the world still. Rory's even has a higher PGA win pct this year than Spieth, not to mention all his wins on the European Tour. Though I think we have our modern day Jack and Arnie brewing....

You are correct. My typo. But I do like the idea of a modern day jack and arnie brewing. Both are worthy of the #1 spot, but there can only be 1, lol.

Not only do I think he is the best right now... but he is a class act (at least from how we see of him and what we read).

Also, I think he is AWESOME for the game... I hope he continues to do well.

Jordan is/has been more consistent week in and week out. Besides the miss Players cut he has been right there every weekend. Roray was deserving of #1 and is very much right there but in terms of consistent play, JS has going on like Donkey Kong
Wasn't it Rory that lit the world on fire last year? Winning two majors and a WGC in 4 weeks?

Has Jordan shown consistency outside of this year? He has been great, but it's not like he's been unstoppable since coming on tour. Jordan is very young, so there is a lot of light at the end of the tunnel

Jordan is/has been more consistent week in and week out. Besides the miss Players cut he has been right there every weekend. Roray was deserving of #1 and is very much right there but in terms of consistent play, JS has going on like Donkey Kong
There is no doubt who has been better and more consistent in 2015.

Wasn't it Rory that lit the world on fire last year? Winning two majors and a WGC in 4 weeks?

The funny part of this post highlights the thread of sorts. I agree with you, which is why it is talked about in the article (when he took over #1) in the link in the first post about this topic, that nobody clicked on...haha.

The funny part of this post highlights the thread of sorts. I agree with you, which is why it is talked about in the article (when he took over #1) in the link in the first post about this topic, that nobody clicked on...haha.

Guilty as charged , not gonna lie.

I know I'm a Rory homer and I think personally Speith should be number 1 based on Majors alone, but Rory hasn't exactly had a bad year.

YearEvents Played1st2nd3rd4th-10thMCYear End Rank
20151231-43

Speith

Rory was phenomenal just before Jordan was phenomenal. They are both incredible, I'm not sure how you could argue one is more deserving than the other. The thing I'd say is that I think Rory at his best plays at a different level than Jordan.

I know I'm a Rory homer and I think personally Speith should be number 1 based on Majors alone, but Rory hasn't exactly had a bad year.

20151231-43

Speith

I agree with this. Time table takes a lot into the consideration. When Rory has been healthy, he has done exceptionally well including winning at a much faster clip. Its like I said earlier, right now people say Spieth is #1 despite the rankings and when Rory comes back and wins, people will say but Spieth is #1, just look at the rankings. I think part of that is the American born golfer and fans.

I personally believe the rankings are tragically flawed, and that Spieth should be #1 in the world right now, although I dont think its as cut and dry as a lot of people do. Exactly twelve months and a couple of days ago, Rory was considered to be the 2nd coming of Jack.

How lucky are we as golf fans right now? Jordan playing lights out. Rickie is finally cashing in on his potential. Rory is healing and getting close to being ready. Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, so many great golfers providing us fans more than we could ask for.

He is definitely the best in the world right now.....Rory was in the field at the Masters and the US Open and didn't really figure in either one, not to mention that Spieth was one 4 putt green away from capturing a 3rd straight major...he is the class of the PGA tour right now....both on and off the course.

Its also interesting to hear some people talk about class as if Rory is lacking in that department. He seems to be a model tour player from most accounts. Not sure where the bad wrap came from, because frankly they both seem similar in that area.

I agree with this. Time table takes a lot into the consideration. When Rory has been healthy, he has done exceptionally well including winning at a much faster clip. Its like I said earlier, right now people say Spieth is #1 despite the rankings and when Rory comes back and wins, people will say but Spieth is #1, just look at the rankings. I think part of that is the American born golfer and fans.

I personally believe the rankings are tragically flawed, and that Spieth should be #1 in the world right now, although I dont think its as cut and dry as a lot of people do. Exactly twelve months and a couple of days ago, Rory was considered to be the 2nd coming of Jack.

Think time will always be the biggest issue with the OWGR. How long is too long?

Hopefully Spieth keeps playing good golf when Rory comes back and we can have ourselves some solid showdowns for years and years to come.

Also, does Spieth have to win to move into #1 spot or is there a certain finish he can have?

Hopefully Spieth keeps playing good golf when Rory comes back and we can have ourselves some solid showdowns for years and years to come.

I'm still holding out hope that happens with Tiger and Sergio. :banghead:

When Rory took over #1 last year in this event, I thought he would hold that ranking for a lot longer than exactly one year.

However, right now I would not be surprised if Jordan won this week and dethroned Rory.

Back