Srixon Z 745 Irons Preview

I like the look of these irons. I'm thinking if I ever have an off day with my C100's and get sick of them I might give these bad boys some serious consideration. As much as I love my C100's they really are more SGI than GI and workability is somewhat of an issue. As my back continues to strengthen I know I'll want to graduate into more of a players iron.

My custom order is taking longer than expected, ordered them two weeks ago today and they said they'd ship in 5-7 business days. Checked on them today and they'd just shipped today and should be here Wednesday or so. Might be because I went with Aerotech but who knows. Weather isn't cooperating anyways so it is what it is. Oddly the U45 showed up Tuesday and the irons won't be here til middle of next week. Im not counting on getting these out on a real course anytime soon anyways but will at least hit them on the monitor and heated range because hey new clubs.

And gorgeous ones at that!

The Pro Shop had these in today.
They sure look sharp.

These really are sweet, even after about 10 rounds (5 this week) the new joy is still working. They are penalizing if you miss them by much, but the pure or close to pure strikes just make me smile. Added a SCOR 50 deg and it fits perfectly in the set, full swing it is 115 to 120 yds and very versatile around the greens. 56 deg on the way.

These really are sweet, even after about 10 rounds (5 this week) the new joy is still working. They are penalizing if you miss them by much, but the pure or close to pure strikes just make me smile. Added a SCOR 50 deg and it fits perfectly in the set, full swing it is 115 to 120 yds and very versatile around the greens. 56 deg on the way.

How are the irons treating you these days? Any experience with the I25's? Wondering how these 2 would compare with respect to forgiveness, distance and feel? Thanks!

How are the irons treating you these days? Any experience with the I25's? Wondering how these 2 would compare with respect to forgiveness, distance and feel? Thanks!

Im not Jim, but can tell you that the i25s compare closer to the 545s than the 745s.

I'd agree with that. The 745 are more closer to the S series I think. There's not a whole lot of cavity there.

I'd agree with that. The 745 are more closer to the S series I think. There's not a whole lot of cavity there.

But they are oh so pretty :)

How are the irons treating you these days? Any experience with the I25's? Wondering how these 2 would compare with respect to forgiveness, distance and feel? Thanks![/QUOTE

They are doing very well if I let them, if you get into a swing funk or do not commit to the shot they will punish you.

I have never played the i25 but did own the i20 and they were much more forgiving on misses. To me the 745 play about like the Anser series irons ( I never did try the S series). Distance wise if you flush the 745 it is longer IMO, but that could be shaft related or just bad memory on my part the i20's were several sets ago.

I will be trying the 545 at the PGA show demo day, if I don't run across them before that. Just to see and feel the difference. When the swing is off, ponder mode always kicks in. Can't be the Indian....

So the 545s are getting a lot of love... I am really liking these 745s. Even with s300 shafts which I am not a fan of. Currently these are sitting lonely without shafts, waiting for the fujikura mci 120 stiff shafts to arrive. Once built, these will be AWESOME!

kc do you have prior experience with the MCI 120 Shaft? I am really interested in going to Graphite but did not have good results with the lighter Program 95 and Recoil 95 in a recent test. I am hoping a heavier weight would help me.

I do love the 745 head and boy when the swing is on it performs great, in the test fitting I did recently the 745 was right there at the top with similar numbers with the Mizuno H5. I was trying to get a head to head with the 545 but they only had a S300 standard length 7 iron and all the other test clubs were 6 irons so not spot on info.

It is too bad it is hard to find the MCI (at all) or Program 130 shaft in a fitting cart, even Club Champion does not have them in Orlando. Maybe I will get to try them next week off the grass and get real feel for actual flight.

kc do you have prior experience with the MCI 120 Shaft? I am really interested in going to Graphite but did not have good results with the lighter Program 95 and Recoil 95 in a recent test. I am hoping a heavier weight would help me.

I do love the 745 head and boy when the swing is on it performs great, in the test fitting I did recently the 745 was right there at the top with similar numbers with the Mizuno H5. I was trying to get a head to head with the 545 but they only had a S300 standard length 7 iron and all the other test clubs were 6 irons so not spot on info.

It is too bad it is hard to find the MCI (at all) or Program 130 shaft in a fitting cart, even Club Champion does not have them in Orlando. Maybe I will get to try them next week off the grass and get real feel for actual flight.
I have no experience with mci shafts. I did research them fir a long time before pulling the trigger. From what I read, they are very similar to steelfiber 125 but launch bit higher and quicker then flatten out so it doesn't balloon. Feel is said to be smoother than steelfiber. I really like steelfiber 125 but if little higher with out ballooning then they silk be great. I'll update when I get some time with them

I hope to find some in a fitting cart on Tuesday and give them a try.

This club is not the thinnest top line but not too beefy. Confidence inspiring for sure

Some comparisons of top line view:
Z745
f4d272af4d3ea4ed98386b8b81d212ad.jpg

Callaway apex mb
eacf5b49f627a8ddfa7e045740ed4d5e.jpg

Miura cb 501
d55979c86767fb0b673801edd01bd12f.jpg

Miura baby blade
287d42c40e9474e8a83244534b42138e.jpg

It's funny, compared to my Callaway XForged irons the 745's top line is huge! LOL.

Definitely not bladey :)

This club is not the thinnest top line but not too beefy. Confidence inspiring for sure

Some comparisons of top line view:
Z745
f4d272af4d3ea4ed98386b8b81d212ad.jpg

Callaway apex mb
eacf5b49f627a8ddfa7e045740ed4d5e.jpg

Miura cb 501
d55979c86767fb0b673801edd01bd12f.jpg

Miura baby blade
287d42c40e9474e8a83244534b42138e.jpg

Awesome comparison, thank you! If you miss-hit with that baby blade, do you just whiff completely? Not much room on either side of the ball for error there haha.

The top line/profile on these looks a lot like the set of Callaway Razr X forged I have. Not the thinnest top line, but overall profile is fairly slim.

First hitting session with the 745s and fujikura mci. Looks great and feels great. The mci feels a bit more livelier than the steelfiber 125. Very small sample so far but liking the results

Hit these today inside of course. Wow, they are nice looking and feeling - pretty forgiving for the class of iron as well. Luckily my i20s were a notch more forgiving and I like the i20 sole/bounce better so I'm not tempted at least now to buy them.

I20/25s are more comparable to the 545

135f32999b9015adf2301d633eafd7f0.jpg

ca253d5dc4031445fe260292a70e8459.jpg

Must have hit the 545s then as they were just about the same head size as my i20s. Not really familiar with Srixon clubs as I've never worked in a shop that carries them - this site has been great to inform me about their lines.

Back