Srixon Z 745 Irons Preview

Apex Pros had tungsten inserts in the long irons as well

Apex Pros had tungsten inserts in the long irons as well

I don't understand why they feel better, maybe just the new club feel. But I hit some 4, 5 and 6 irons today better than I have in a long time and I have really enjoyed the APEX pros, I am not knocking them at all. These just seemed smoother if that makes sense.

Interesting you like the long irons a bit better cause I love the short irons in this set!

The short irons are fantastic, but not as big a difference feel wise to me. But again I hit a lot more greens today with these sticks even though they are not quite to my specs than the clubs I have been playing for quite a while. Can't wait to play again tomorrow.

Another point I did not mention is the sole / turf interaction and maybe that is the difference in the feel of the clubs at impact. The fairways here were quite hard and I am normally a digger, I did not find that to be the case with these irons. Took a small divot on most iron shots and even the ones I thinned did not scream off the face, still a mid to lower flight. The more I think about the round the more I smile, great sticks.

mine arrive this saturday. Looking forward to them.

Keep us updated on how they are working out for you.

Cant wait to compare them to my J40 PC. the sole is WAY different. Might be a disaster or a revelation.

I may have missed this in the thread but can anyone compare the "feel" of these to the Z 545s? The shops around here have the 545s but not the 745s. Also, I note that the DG S300s appear to be the stock shaft. Anyone swapped those out for a KBS Tour or C-Tapers?

(For what's it worth, I hit the Z 545s, MP-H5s, and MP-54s side-by-side. In terms of that sweet forged feel, the 545s feel better than the H5s but not quite as nice as the MP-54s.)

I may have missed this in the thread but can anyone compare the "feel" of these to the Z 545s? The shops around here have the 545s but not the 745s. Also, I note that the DG S300s appear to be the stock shaft. Anyone swapped those out for a KBS Tour or C-Tapers?

(For what's it worth, I hit the Z 545s, MP-H5s, and MP-54s side-by-side. In terms of that sweet forged feel, the 545s feel better than the H5s but not quite as nice as the MP-54s.)
Nate has them with KBS Tours. They feel great

How do they feel compared to your MP-53s? How about ball flight/distance?
Probably similar to the 545s vs the MP54s. I hit a 5i of Nates that was probanly one of the best of my life and felt great. Not quite as soft but I would have no problem gaming these and in fact im hard pondering them or the 545s jut cant decide yet. I want to get some LM numbers first. I will have a set of KBS Tours in my irons by the end of the weekend for a round next week so I can give a better comparison then. I think the 53s launch a bit lower than the 745s but that could also be the difference in he KBS vs Recoil Proto.

Just picked mine back up from my Club builder, .50" over now and new UTX midsize grips. Tomorrow will be the real test, semi competitive round with friends at a course I know well but harder (and longer) than the 1st course I played with them at stock length with the stock grips.

Just picked mine back up from my Club builder, .50" over now and new UTX midsize grips. Tomorrow will be the real test, semi competitive round with friends at a course I know well but harder (and longer) than the 1st course I played with them at stock length with the stock grips.
Pics for the people...

just got mine in box. hopefully playing tommorrow. They are very similar to my J40 CBs. If they are not that much better. the 745 will be put up for sale. stay tuned.

I will take some tomorrow at the course

Why did you decide to go with the KBS Tour 90 instead of the Miyazaki Kosuma Blue? I saw you mention a ponder of the Miyazaki shafts earlier. I am thinking seriously about ordering the 545s with the Miyazaki.

Why did you decide to go with the KBS Tour 90 instead of the Miyazaki Kosuma Blue? I saw you mention a ponder of the Miyazaki shafts earlier. I am thinking seriously about ordering the 545s with the Miyazaki.

Do it. I really think you would enjoy these. I know I would love spending some time with these. The few swings that I have had with them left a good impression.

Do it. I really think you would enjoy these. I know I would love spending some time with these. The few swings that I have had with them left a good impression.

It will likely happen soon sir. Going to Atlanta Tuesday and hoping they have them at either PGA SS or Golfsmith so I can take a few swipes with them. Just have to get over the fear of ordering from Japan. U.S. has little to no shaft selections.

Mine are now scheduled for delivery on Monday and I am traveling Monday through Thursday. Looks like Next weekend I will finally get the chance to hit them.

I was going to do it from Tourspec (had them in the cart) then found this set on the bay for half the price with the Tour 90, figured I would try the Tour 90 and see how they play in this head. I could still put in a set on Matrix Programs or MCI if I can find a deal on some and be even with what I was going to pay.

Those Miyasaki Blue really had my attention, Tour spec told me they could only get the SR not the S as they were out of stock and it would be a long lead time.

I was going to do it from Tourspec (had them in the cart) then found this set on the bay for half the price with the Tour 90, figured I would try the Tour 90 and see how they play in this head. I could still put in a set on Matrix Programs or MCI if I can find a deal on some and be even with what I was going to pay.

Those Miyasaki Blue really had my attention, Tour spec told me they could only get the SR not the S as they were out of stock and it would be a long lead time.

I found a deal from a Rakuten seller where the full set (Driver - AW) with all Miyazaki Blue was $500 less than the same clubs on Tourspec. I am thinking I need to drop from S to SR. Emailed Miyazaki Japan requesting more info in English on these shafts a few days ago but have not heard anything back. Maybe they could not read my email written in English..lol.

I searched all over for info on that shaft and could not find anything, it is apparently made for Srixon and is very new. But from my emails with Tourspec they recommended the SR as closest to the CTL SS I was playing in Flex, but then again they could not get the Stiff.

After playing a round with the Tour 90's even though I had to go down after them (at least in my head) with the shorter shafts I hit them a lot straighter and actually found my draw again. I will be at the course at 6am to get good and warmed up and try to play a solid round, now if all the other clubs in the bag will just cooperate.....

just got mine in box. hopefully playing tommorrow. They are very similar to my J40 CBs. If they are not that much better. the 745 will be put up for sale. stay tuned.

I will be keeping an eye out

Love these irons, the extra .50" and mid size grips made them perfect. Shot a 79 on a tough track. I am very surprised with the Tour 90 shafts, I was able to work it low or high depending on the wind and hit a lot of irons right at the pin. I definitely gained some yardage over the APEX pros.
Here are a few pictures of the 5 & 8 iron at address and in hand.

Back