TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

You testers are doing an awesome job on here. Keep it up, guys. I'm going out to demo one today.

Let us know how it works out for ya!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Been trying to catch up on this thread. One thing that is really in the back of my mind is wedges and I'm looking to this thread for guidance. I shank about 70% of my full wedge shots.. yeah I know its swing but I'm looking for a wedge that inspires confidence and is good out of any lie. I have to say, what I've been reading is really bringing me in. A lot of great testers in here and I really love the feedback. Due, you're bring ing a ton of info my friend!

Been trying to catch up on this thread. One thing that is really in the back of my mind is wedges and I'm looking to this thread for guidance. I shank about 70% of my full wedge shots.. yeah I know its swing but I'm looking for a wedge that inspires confidence and is good out of any lie. I have to say, what I've been reading is really bringing me in. A lot of great testers in here and I really love the feedback. Due, you're bring ing a ton of info my friend!

Thanks buddy, I think the little extra weight in these along with the tight leading edge would make the ATV worth a look for you. Sweeper, or picker, I can't see where this club favors one over the other.

Thanks buddy, I think the little extra weight in these along with the tight leading edge would make the ATV worth a look for you. Sweeper, or picker, I can't see where this club favors one over the other.

That is great to hear Due! Im definitely going to look at them.

I loved watching the video of Duey sticking shots on the green.

I've spent the last few days messing around with the ATV wedge and the thing that I notice is that I tend to miss on the toe of the wedge, I never seemed to have done that with my xFT so this could simply be a proper fitting issue. The crazy thing is that even if I miss on the toe, the shot doesn't' seem to be as bad as I would imagine it to be. The more I look at this wedge, I find the large sole to be rather awkward but Taylormade still did a great job at making it work with the wedge but from the top line at address it looks great, not bulkier like the RBZ at address. So far I have noticed confidence in chipping which is something I couldn't do before, ask anyone I played with-my chipping was a hit and miss-I'm not saying it's the marketing design on the ATV, i'm just stating what I have observed, even with pitching, I could never hit crisp pitch shots into the free but the confidence that I have in this wedge has really helped pitching. As I showed in an earlier video, I step up to the ball and swing nice and easy and it comes up and lands on the green-that's confidence IMHO

Anyway, I will be playing a full 18 with this club for the first time tomorrow, It's been a busy (Busey) week!

My battles with the S + Tom Hanks are pretty well documented at THP. I am right there with you. They show up the majority of the time in my full wedge shots. I can say, thus far, I have only "S'd" one ball with the ATV and it was never a wedge issue (and as you said, it generally never is, its a swing issue) and had more to do with being a on side hill right lie that was very thin. My main issue so far has been catching the ball thin on 3/4 and 1/2 swings and catching more than my fair share of shots out on the toe. But, for only being one round in and one practice session in with it, I am not hitting the panic button, as it all really comes down to me, not the wedge.

Some more great updates testers! Its weird how a couple of you are seeing toe shots with the ATV and you were not with your last wedge. I bet a simple lie angle adjustment would fix that problem, of course that would probably have to be done after the testing is complete since they just sent them all standard but its something I would look into after the testing for sure. Keep up the great work guys. Tons of great info in this thread.

I loved watching the video of Duey sticking shots on the green.

Thanks ddec, that was kind of fun to do, although I got yelled at from the greens keeper, haha

They ain't shank proof bro :nono:..... I hit me a little doozy today trying to get cute with opening the face up. Shot one over my partners left ear and nearly took his bucket hat right off his head :bulgy-eyes:! The only problem I'm having to date with this wedge, is judging how far to carry it on pitch shots. I normally would take a 8 or 9 iron for those little up hill bump & run shots. I tried a couple to times to fly it to the hole today and both times the ball stopped short. They bit like a hound dog on a T - Bone steak :banghead:. Full shots with the ATV today were spot on and so much fun to hit.

edit: I am really loving the KBS shaft in this puppy! It feels so darn smooth that I wish all my irons had this shaft.

Last edited:
I've spent the last few days messing around with the ATV wedge and the thing that I notice is that I tend to miss on the toe of the wedge, I never seemed to have done that with my xFT so this could simply be a proper fitting issue. The crazy thing is that even if I miss on the toe, the shot doesn't' seem to be as bad as I would imagine it to be. The more I look at this wedge, I find the large sole to be rather awkward but Taylormade still did a great job at making it work with the wedge but from the top line at address it looks great, not bulkier like the RBZ at address. So far I have noticed confidence in chipping which is something I couldn't do before, ask anyone I played with-my chipping was a hit and miss-I'm not saying it's the marketing design on the ATV, i'm just stating what I have observed, even with pitching, I could never hit crisp pitch shots into the free but the confidence that I have in this wedge has really helped pitching. As I showed in an earlier video, I step up to the ball and swing nice and easy and it comes up and lands on the green-that's confidence IMHO

Anyway, I will be playing a full 18 with this club for the first time tomorrow, It's been a busy (Busey) week!

I think we all need to get over the looks of the sole. Calling it "awkward" or "ugly" is just ignorance at this point. Let's give Taylormade some credit for once again talking a big game and backing it up. The sole may not look like a traditional wedge, but it works better. Period.

They ain't shank proof bro :nono:..... I hit me a little doozy today trying to get cute with opening the face up. Shot one over my partners left ear and nearly took this bucket hat right off his head :bulgy-eyes:! The only problem I'm having to date with this wedge, is judging how far to carry it on pitch shots. I normally would take a 8 or 9 iron for those little up hill bump & run shots. I tried a couple to times to fly it to the hole today and both times the ball stopped short. They bit like a hound dog on a T - Bone steak :banghead:. Full shots with the ATV today were spot on and so much fun to hit.

edit: I am really loving the KBS shaft in this puppy! It feels so darn smooth that I wish all my irons had this shaft.

I feel this same way about the shaft in these, great feeling shaft so far.

They ain't shank proof bro :nono:..... I hit me a little doozy today trying to get cute with opening the face up. Shot one over my partners left ear and nearly took this bucket hat right off his head :bulgy-eyes:! The only problem I'm having to date with this wedge, is judging how far to carry it on pitch shots. I normally would take a 8 or 9 iron for those little up hill bump & run shots. I tried a couple to times to fly it to the hole today and both times the ball stopped short. They bit like a hound dog on a T - Bone steak :banghead:. Full shots with the ATV today were spot on and so much fun to hit.

I had the opposite problem my first day testing these out...I kept going to far (albeit the wedge does create a bunch of spin for me, it seems).

I've only gotten this thing out once and it blows. Earlier this week I thought I was going to have to help my parents move, now I don't and I have the whole weekend free for practicing. Normally, I aim for 2-3 practice sessions Monday-Froday, this is the week I have practiced the least lately due to not having time (just one time). Sucks. Plus I have month end close week at work next week, which means Monday & Tuesday are no-go's on golf. Dangit!

Anyway, I am very much a visual golfer. I pick a spot on the green where I want the ball to land and visualize how I think it is going to react from there. After I pick this spot and am comfortable with it, I won't even look back at the hole...the hole isn't my target or goal, the spot I selected is. So, after years of doing this with 60° wedge, I think my biggest challenge with the 56° ATV during testing is going to be re-learning the reaction of the ball with the 56° vs my normal 60°, so that I can pick the proper spot. During my practice session with it, I hit my spot a lot...that spot was just normally wrong on the first couple shots from each location, and I had to adjust. Once I adjusted and picked the right spot, I was good to go.

At this point, I am grading the ATV based on it's ability to allow me to hit, or hit close to, my spot. Anything past that was user error if I hit the spot and end up 10 feet from the hole...that just mean I picked the wrong spot. I am sure it will piss me off on the course at first until I dial it in, but such is life. I really think once testing ends, if I still love the ATV and get a 60°, I am going to be in heaven with that club. Either way, this is going to force me to be a more well rounded chipper, which is obviously something I am very excited for.

Okay guys and gals. Just finished a 9 hole practice round and 9 holes for my Friday league.

Let me start by telling you this: I don't even want to do this write-up. That's how bad of an experience I had today. But I'm going to do a bit anyways.

First off, I have NEVER battled a wedge so badly for command of the ball. Shots that I wanted to spin would release, shots I wanted to release spun backwards, nothing would check up, and I couldn't hit a shot shape to save my life -- except when I didn't want one. The worst part is my command on my Nike set wedges and my 54* Cleveland were money all day. The ATV was the only thing I couldn't get going.

The first hole was the exception today. I stood over a 90 yard shot on my approach into a par 4. I played a small draw into a back left pin, and the wedge bit beautifully and stopped about 6 feet from the hole. Birdie out of the gate.

That's where it ended for me.

From then on out, I had so many issues getting the wedge through the rough (which is admittedly heavier/thicker than the rough at the practice green). I felt like everything was fat or thin with this wedge, but my ball striking otherwise was amazing. In fact, I almost made an ace on the 193yd par 3 with my 8 iron. This wedge just escapes me.

For as well as I hit it at the practice facility, today was the exact opposite when it mattered. I just couldn't get it going. I really debated taking the wedge out of my bag for the 9 holes for the league (which was the front 9 today), but made myself play it so I could talk a little bit about it.

I'm really hoping the performance was just due to lack of use and feel, but who knows.

Like I said, I didn't hit it well enough to really get into any minute details, but I'd be glad to talk about anything people want to know.

Okay guys and gals. Just finished a 9 hole practice round and 9 holes for my Friday league.

Let me start by telling you this: I don't even want to do this write-up. That's how bad of an experience I had today. But I'm going to do a bit anyways.

First off, I have NEVER battled a wedge so badly for command of the ball. Shots that I wanted to spin would release, shots I wanted to release spun backwards, nothing would check up, and I couldn't hit a shot shape to save my life -- except when I didn't want one. The worst part is my command on my Nike set wedges and my 54* Cleveland were money all day. The ATV was the only thing I couldn't get going.

The first hole was the exception today. I stood over a 90 yard shot on my approach into a par 4. I played a small draw into a back left pin, and the wedge bit beautifully and stopped about 6 feet from the hole. Birdie out of the gate.

That's where it ended for me.

From then on out, I had so many issues getting the wedge through the rough (which is admittedly heavier/thicker than the rough at the practice green). I felt like everything was fat or thin with this wedge, but my ball striking otherwise was amazing. In fact, I almost made an ace on the 193yd par 3 with my 8 iron. This wedge just escapes me.

For as well as I hit it at the practice facility, today was the exact opposite when it mattered. I just couldn't get it going. I really debated taking the wedge out of my bag for the 9 holes for the league (which was the front 9 today), but made myself play it so I could talk a little bit about it.

I'm really hoping the performance was just due to lack of use and feel, but who knows.

Like I said, I didn't hit it well enough to really get into any minute details, but I'd be glad to talk about anything people want to know.
That sucks dude sorry to hear you had an off day. Im sure more time with the club will really help. I too was finally able to get some good hours in today with my 58. I must say I love this wedge. I love the way it looks and feels. The dots on the grip actually help me alot. Im no expert haha so having the dots gives me a good reference point to choke down to when i find myself close to the green. I like the sound on contact its a nice solid click. The BIGGEST PROBLEM im having is hitting the damn things fat!!!!!!!! It seemed like no matter what i did id hit em fat and come up short or roll off the green. It happened sooooo many times lol :banghead:. I spent the most time from 15 yards and in so anything longer ill have to wait and see. I had the green to myself so i figured id take advantage of it. Eventually I would just say screw it and try to give it more power than i thought was reasonable and id get mixed results. Some got beautiful loft and others just shot out like a cannon and left me 10 yards off the green. Now ill be the first to say this is probably due to my lack of experience especially with a high lofted wedge. This is my first 58 and i think i just need more time with it. The ones I did get right were just beautiful, you know the shots that make you smile lol. I look forward to another round and practice session now that my opening round is out of the way. Id like to see if anyone else is coming up as fat as i was. Like I said its probably me more than the club.

Darren, the shots you had from the rough today was the ball sitting up or did it bury itself? Reason I ask is I've noticed with a lot of wedges contact can feel one way or the other depending on how the ball is sitting in the rough. I see this a bunch with my 50* 588, I just can't hit it properly from thick rough.

--
Tapatalk2

DK...sorry to hear that man. I'll be curious to see how it all pans out for you. I've had clubs I hated at first become my favorites, and visa versa, so I guess we will see.

I planned to get out after work. At 4 o'clock my VP came and said "Let's leave, we will all go to happy hour", so I planned on having plenty of time at the range after a drink or two. While at happy hour, we had some terrible storms tear through - 80mph winds that knocked power out all over, as well as knocking down many many trees. So, again I couldn't get out today. Hoping the weather is clear for tomorrow.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

I just got home from the range and had continued success! I'm going to get ready to head to dinner in a few minutes but will be ready to post my thoughts on today's session when i come back home.

Darren, the shots you had from the rough today was the ball sitting up or did it bury itself? Reason I ask is I've noticed with a lot of wedges contact can feel one way or the other depending on how the ball is sitting in the rough. I see this a bunch with my 50* 588, I just can't hit it properly from thick rough.

--
Tapatalk2

Some of both. Some sat pretty well and some sat down pretty badly. I wouldn't say there were any REALLY bad lies, though. I just couldn't make any of my usual "go-to" shots work with this club today.

I really like this wedge around the green! I really like it from 75 yards and in! Beyond that, I am very hit or miss.

I didn't have anything really noteworthy happen during our couples scramble tonight. A few green side chips that ran out a little more than I had wanted. One full shot that came up a little short on me from about 120 out. I "S'd" one off the tee and I really should have known better to try to hit this club off this particular tee box.

After our outing, which was a cluster *bleep*, to say the least, I grabbed 6 balls and went to the practice green and the chipping area. I started out with some green side chipping, chipping to a stick that was 50 feet across the green with some right to left break. I ended up running 2 balls past the hole, leaving them in the fringe and short putts coming back. 2 balls ended up within 8 to 10 feet short. I flared one ball out to the right of the hole, leaving a downhill putt of about 10 feet and I left another about 15 feet short (caught that one fat).

Starting to lose daylight, I decided to hit some floppers from the same chipping spot, to the same stick. Hitting floppers with this thing is easy as sin and I can see this becoming a very useful aspect of my game. I had pretty great results here, leaving nothing past the stick, and with manageable putts, all within 10 feet, short of the hole. I tried to keep in mind what I believe Hart said he was doing to hit hit shots that stop, which was turn the dots to 2 o'clock. I had terrific results doing this. The sole just slid almost effortlessly under the ball, flipping it high and stopping with very little to no roll out. Very fun and exciting to add this shot to the arsenal and have the confidence to pull it off.

I then went out and did pitches from about 40 yards out. Everything just seemed to click here finally, and I don't know why. I landed all 6 balls on the green (a feat in itself with as bad as I am with the wedges). 2 balls were within 10 feet of the hole. I had two that were about 15 feet from the hole, right. And I did leave one short in the fringe, leaving myself a lengthy putt. My last shot? I landed it about 8 feet left of the pin, it caught the slope perfectly and rolled into the hole. I have never chipped in, not even practicing, from this distance, so I was a little excited, to say the least. I could really see the difference between the Pentas and the e6's here. The Pentas hit, hopped and had very minimal roll out, if any. The e6's rolled a greater distance after hitting the green. I felt like I finally had some distances dialed in and how to hit a mid trajectory chip.

I moved out somewhere between 60 and 70 yards and again, had terrific results, putting 5 of 6 balls on the putting surface. I did chunk one shot, coming up about 10 yards short of the green. But putting 5 balls on the putting surface was enough to please me. The Pentas would hit, grab, hop and stop. The ball felt really good coming off the club face and all of my divots were consistent. Very soft feeling and I was actually feeling and FINALLY hearing a little feedback here. It was kind of a "THUNK" sound with me. Not what I am used to, but the results I was seeing was hard to argue with, regardless of what feedback I was getting. As I was walking to the green, there was a collection of toupees that I had laid out in front of me about 10 yards away.

All in all, I feel like I have gained a great degree of confidence with the ATV, the more I have practiced with it and tried different things with it. I am playing in a couples outing tomorrow, and I am interested to see if I can take my practice session tonight, with me to the course tomorrow.

Some of both. Some sat pretty well and some sat down pretty badly. I wouldn't say there were any REALLY bad lies, though. I just couldn't make any of my usual "go-to" shots work with this club today.

Sorry to hear this buddy, hang tough as this may have just been an off day that needs worked through. Good luck over the weekend.

I really like this wedge around the green! I really like it from 75 yards and in! Beyond that, I am very hit or miss.

I didn't have anything really noteworthy happen during our couples scramble tonight. A few green side chips that ran out a little more than I had wanted. One full shot that came up a little short on me from about 120 out. I "S'd" one off the tee and I really should have known better to try to hit this club off this particular tee box.

After our outing, which was a cluster *bleep*, to say the least, I grabbed 6 balls and went to the practice green and the chipping area. I started out with some green side chipping, chipping to a stick that was 50 feet across the green with some right to left break. I ended up running 2 balls past the hole, leaving them in the fringe and short putts coming back. 2 balls ended up within 8 to 10 feet short. I flared one ball out to the right of the hole, leaving a downhill putt of about 10 feet and I left another about 15 feet short (caught that one fat).

Starting to lose daylight, I decided to hit some floppers from the same chipping spot, to the same stick. Hitting floppers with this thing is easy as sin and I can see this becoming a very useful aspect of my game. I had pretty great results here, leaving nothing past the stick, and with manageable putts, all within 10 feet, short of the hole. I tried to keep in mind what I believe Hart said he was doing to hit hit shots that stop, which was turn the dots to 2 o'clock. I had terrific results doing this. The sole just slid almost effortlessly under the ball, flipping it high and stopping with very little to no roll out. Very fun and exciting to add this shot to the arsenal and have the confidence to pull it off.

I then went out and did pitches from about 40 yards out. Everything just seemed to click here finally, and I don't know why. I landed all 6 balls on the green (a feat in itself with as bad as I am with the wedges). 2 balls were within 10 feet of the hole. I had two that were about 15 feet from the hole, right. And I did leave one short in the fringe, leaving myself a lengthy putt. My last shot? I landed it about 8 feet left of the pin, it caught the slope perfectly and rolled into the hole. I have never chipped in, not even practicing, from this distance, so I was a little excited, to say the least. I could really see the difference between the Pentas and the e6's here. The Pentas hit, hopped and had very minimal roll out, if any. The e6's rolled a greater distance after hitting the green. I felt like I finally had some distances dialed in and how to hit a mid trajectory chip.

I moved out somewhere between 60 and 70 yards and again, had terrific results, putting 5 of 6 balls on the putting surface. I did chunk one shot, coming up about 10 yards short of the green. But putting 5 balls on the putting surface was enough to please me. The Pentas would hit, grab, hop and stop. The ball felt really good coming off the club face and all of my divots were consistent. Very soft feeling and I was actually feeling and FINALLY hearing a little feedback here. It was kind of a "THUNK" sound with me. Not what I am used to, but the results I was seeing was hard to argue with, regardless of what feedback I was getting. As I was walking to the green, there was a collection of toupees that I had laid out in front of me about 10 yards away.

All in all, I feel like I have gained a great degree of confidence with the ATV, the more I have practiced with it and tried different things with it. I am playing in a couples outing tomorrow, and I am interested to see if I can take my practice session tonight, with me to the course tomorrow.

Nice job Jeff, 120 is a long ways to try moving this ball, lol. 100 is the longest I've worked at and I had to hit the crap out of it to do that, lol. 90 seems the right distance for me at this point, which works fine because I can hit 100 with a soft gap.

Sorry to hear this buddy, hang tough as this may have just been an off day that needs worked through. Good luck over the weekend.

Nice job Jeff, 120 is a long ways to try moving this ball, lol. 100 is the longest I've worked at and I had to hit the crap out of it to do that, lol. 90 seems the right distance for me at this point, which works fine because I can hit 100 with a soft gap.

I had a pretty stiff wind at my back and I instantly regretted grabbing this wedge instead of my Cleveland CG15 54* as soon as I started swinging. Oh well. I know now.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

So those of you testing these wedges....what has been your experiences on Hard pan lies?? Playing today I had several wedge shots off of hard pan and it's really tough to "open" the wedge up with too much bounce on it.

Just wondered how the ATV sole handles that type of lie.

So those of you testing these wedges....what has been your experiences on Hard pan lies?? Playing today I had several wedge shots off of hard pan and it's really tough to "open" the wedge up with too much bounce on it.

OG is going to be your boy here. I tried opening it up a few times on hard pan and didn't have real good results. Trailing edge and a rocket right. Maybe I was a bit skittish and didn't trust the wedge, I don't know, but it's just something I am going to have to work on really super hard to trust and get down. From fluffier lies, I love it and have no difficulty whatsoever.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

Great question tim, I had a similar experience to Jeff's In hard pan bunkers, I seemed to either hit the ball dead on hitting it over the green (user issue probably) or I never got under the ball or hit it low to the right and kept it in the bunker, I'll try again tomorrow haha.

Back