TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

As the one guy said, so many people in areas have no where to get fit. I live in KY only Louisville, Lexington, those are two hours away maybe we should take that drive and there maybe more places in state nothing close I know of and I believe this is the problem in majority of the states. Sometimes we buy equipment and try it and if like keep it if not sell to someone that did or trade for something else. I wish we had a box store close by or a golf shop with everything of course I would be broke but sure be fun. I'll try this driver soon as I can and all of them when possible. I rather try a club on the course than in a store. I like to see to be able to demo a club on course for a few rounds. My buddies and I play a lot don't miss many days throughout the year.

I think a lot of people are unaware of where to get fit as well. Heck there are golf courses all over the place that have the ability. I think if people search for such things, they might be surprised.

That's something i am excited to see. Can it accommodate more than just low spinning center face ball strikers?

....and beyond that, can it accommodate said higher spin players who are also seeking the option of switching to more forgiving settings?

Sounds like it can do that indeed. I don't expect a grand slam out of this club, because that's just an unrealistic expectation when they've been struggling. I do think this could be a foothold for them though where they can get their balance and be able to start making positive moves.

But they already offer free fittings...should they offer a rebate for a discount if you get fit? That wouldn't make sense to me.

If they already offer free fittings, then no need for rebate. That was more for smaller shops. They just need to promote it more. I showed the piicture to my wife. First thing she said was there's too many thingies on it.

Club companies should start offering lease deals. Let me drive it for 12 months then trade it in for the new one.

They can sell certified used drivers, only 40 rounds! original owner!

Club companies should start offering lease deals. Let me drive it for 12 months then trade it in for the new one.

I think with some loyalty programs, they are kind of doing that.
Although I think the general public on the other hand is not replacing every cycle, but every other, and it just seems to matter more to those of us on the interwebs.

I hope you are right. In a way it kind of feels like they co-opted Callaway's composites and a less elegant version of Cobra Fly Z+'s flip zone then tossed it on their SLDR/R15 platform. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that - if you see other people doing good stuff, why not adopt it? As with everything, the proof is in the pudding. Let's see what happens when real people start putting swings on it.

We see the same thing with putter shapes, I don't see why it can't make it's way into drivers and such. I agree. I see so much of the Apex irons in the PSi design. The lighter centralized area to promote perimeter weighting.... I also immediately thought of Fly-Z when i saw the back/forth track -- If not a more robust version of the JPX 850 weight movement.

Sounds like it can do that indeed. I don't expect a grand slam out of this club, because that's just an unrealistic expectation when they've been struggling. I do think this could be a foothold for them though where they can get their balance and be able to start making positive moves.

I look at the SLDR weighting design no differently than I do the gigantor cavity in the Nike drivers for the last few years. You throw a lot of money into a design, pimp the living crap out of the tech to consumers, and then try to ride the wave for a couple years while new tech gets developed.

Got to wonder how long they maintain this head build + + + before they adjust in a big way.

I think with some loyalty programs, they are kind of doing that.
Although I think the general public on the other hand is not replacing every cycle, but every other, and it just seems to matter more to those of us on the interwebs.

i don't think these guys were the only game in town to try this business model, but i don't think any of them were very successful

I like the thought process behind this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A total of 28 shaft options. That's a big number.

but does 28 mean 28 different shafts, or could there be multiple weights within each shaft? the fuji pro comes in 53, 63, 73, 63ts, and 73ts. that's not even counting different stiffness profiles, which would be a lame way to define "option" but would still be technically accurate. i get turned on by the thought of 28 different shaft models among multiple brands to choose from, but something tells me it's far lower than that, and the "options" are probably just weights and maybe even flex profiles.

but does 28 mean 28 different shafts, or could there be multiple weights within each shaft? the fuji pro comes in 53, 63, 73, 63ts, and 73ts. that's not even counting different stiffness profiles, which would be a lame way to define "option" but would still be technically accurate. i get turned on by the thought of 28 different shaft models among multiple brands to choose from, but something tells me it's far lower than that, and the "options" are probably just weights and maybe even flex profiles.

I think a 'wait and see' approach is probably best, but I have zero issue with them counting a 60-70-80 gram variance between the same shaft family as three total. Many times, the shafts offer very distinct profiles from one another.

Tom Kroll was just on XM radio talking about this one. Biggest thing they admitted was that they made drivers that weren't forgiving for the amateur, and that they've learned their lesson. This new driver is supposed to be able to give the user the option of more forgiving but not as hot, or hot but not as forgiving.

Also pretty interesting on that show to hear Sean O'Hair candidly say that the CG on the SLDR driver was so far forward that he couldn't spin the ball enough to play it well. He said that for him, R15 was a big improvement over SLDR and thinks that this driver will be better than the R15 for him.

I look at the SLDR weighting design no differently than I do the gigantor cavity in the Nike drivers for the last few years. You throw a lot of money into a design, pimp the living crap out of the tech to consumers, and then try to ride the wave for a couple years while new tech gets developed.

Got to wonder how long they maintain this head build + + + before they adjust in a big way.

Seems as if they're gonna let the sliding weight design ride for at least this cycle. If the weights do what they say they'll do (and based on what the Fly-Z weight does it appears it can) then TM might have something to work with here.

On a funny note, it appears a lot of players are making the jump to this driver before the BMW, including Jason Day. Picked up 3mph ball speed and is willing to put 10 million dollars on the line for it. That's a pretty interesting move.. And a great ad if he wins the FedEx cup. I'll ask for a small royalty for the idea, I'm sure I can have an attorney back that up

Seems as if they're gonna let the sliding weight design ride for at least this cycle. If the weights do what they say they'll do (and based on what the Fly-Z weight does it appears it can) then TM might have something to work with here.

On a funny note, it appears a lot of players are making the jump to this driver before the BMW, including Jason Day. Picked up 3mph ball speed and is willing to put 10 million dollars on the line for it. That's a pretty interesting move.. And a great ad if he wins the FedEx cup. I'll ask for a small royalty for the idea, I'm sure I can have an attorney back that up

I bet he said something like "that little boy crossing guard had this idea once"

I am definitely intrigued by this technology - however I wouldn't trust myself to decipher the settings for what I am looking for - would definitely need to go to a PGA Superstore.

If that video is accurate, and these guys all have it in the bag, I am definitely impressed. It's probably exactly what I am looking for as I also found solid, better numbers on R15 vs SLDR.

Switching to an M1 before the BMW Championship??? Come on, I can't be the only one here!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Pretty bold to switch drivers for Day considering the way he hits the R15. Says a lot, at least for high swing speed players.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Interesting. I like the looks overall. Though I think I'd like it more in black instead of white. It's an interesting concept with the front/back left/right sliders together. I'd like to hit it and see the numbers. I hope this is a win for them, too. They (and golf) need a win from ALL angles.

Also pretty interesting on that show to hear Sean O'Hair candidly say that the CG on the SLDR driver was so far forward that he couldn't spin the ball enough to play it well. He said that for him, R15 was a big improvement over SLDR and thinks that this driver will be better than the R15 for him.
That sounds promising! Hoping for a winner

I am a long time TM fan and this club certainly looks interesting but I just converted to a GBB two weeks ago and my financial situation won't allow both. It always appears to work out that way, buy one thing and next week there is something else to consider. I have to stay away from this club I'm afraid I will like it. I hope they do well with the new clubs across the board. I think its important to have TM healthy and completing with the others. I need to stop reading the reviews as well..

I'm not sure I have seen a more heated debate about a club, no one knows a damn thing about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tom Kroll was just on XM radio talking about this one. Biggest thing they admitted was that they made drivers that weren't forgiving for the amateur, and that they've learned their lesson. This new driver is supposed to be able to give the user the option of more forgiving but not as hot, or hot but not as forgiving.

Interesting, and kudos for the comments. Thanks!

I wonder if the M1 is TM's version of an Alpha 816?

As we know, the 816 is not for the masses, but it is forgiving for the better player.

I am joking, in a way. Hope it offers expanded forgiveness.

We will find out early October!

Back