TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I am hoping we can move right into the 'identity crisis' of neither black or white... but rather BOTH... ZOMG.

The TaylorMade Oreo does have a nice ring to it.....

I am hoping we can move right into the 'identity crisis' of neither black or white... but rather BOTH... ZOMG.

Just wait till they offer it in reverse colors. Black topline and white carbon fiber. People will go crazy haha

That's the beauty of a fitting. Get it dialed to what works and let it ride.

Average Joe golfer doesn't see the value of a fitting and wouldn't get one. I'm talking non THP casual golfers.

Average Joe golfer doesn't see the value of a fitting and wouldn't get one. I'm talking non THP casual golfers.

I can't even imagine how said average golfers feel about their 500 dollar Titleist (because that's what the pros play so that's what they play) driver that has a bazillion little confusing numbers and letters on that adapter.

It's not like adjustability is going away... And for those who fear it, I am pretty confident TaylorMade will release the same bonded distance/forgiveness club to accommodate. Burner, RBZ, Stage 2, Aero... it's a pretty damn safe bet.

You gotta give it to TM though...even with apparently terrible marketing and awful products, they still sure as hell move the needle and get people talking.

You gotta give it to TM though...even with apparently terrible marketing and awful products, they still sure as hell move the needle and get people talking.

There is no such thing as an awful product nowadays. Not everything works for everyone but doesnt make it awful. Ask PhillyV if he thinks the SLDR was awful. Dude absolutely pounded that thing.

I can't even imagine how said average golfers feel about their 500 dollar Titleist (because that's what the pros play so that's what they play) driver that has a bazillion little confusing numbers and letters on that adapter.

It's not like adjustability is going away... And for those who fear it, I am pretty confident TaylorMade will release the same bonded distance/forgiveness club to accommodate. Burner, RBZ, Stage 2, Aero... it's a pretty damn safe bet.

Im not arguing with you. That's just my experience. Most casual players think only pros need to be fitted. Maybe they should heavily promote and offer free fitting with purchase.

Im not arguing with you. That's just my experience. Most casual players think only pros need to be fitted. Maybe they should heavily promote and offer free fitting with purchase.

Just about anywhere you go, will offer free fitting with purchase.

There is no such thing as an awful product nowadays. Not everything works for everyone but doesnt make it awful. Ask PhillyV if he thinks the SLDR was awful. Dude absolutely pounded that thing.

I'm not personally calling them awful at all. I have an R15 hybrid and gamed the RSi2's and would love an R15 driver...but everyone else calls them terrible.

I'm not personally calling them awful at all. I have an R15 hybrid and gamed the RSi2's and would love an R15 driver...but everyone else calls them terrible.

terrible at fitting the masses.

I think the truth is that most places are more than happy to suggest a fitting (even if it's just for length and lie), but I also think people want the immediate gratification of walking out of the store with something in hand, rather than waiting what could be a couple weeks to a month, depending on the manufacturer. Even the Golf Galaxy here will do a bare minimum fitting with anyone who walks in the store, and that's probably "good enough" for a lot of people.

Just about anywhere you go, will offer free fitting with purchase.
Not what I said. Most casual players are un aware of this. The companies need to promote this more and encourage it through marketing.

I'm a loyal TM player (rocketbladez,stage 2 FW, SLDR driver). However, I've had 2 drivers crack in the past 4 months. A friend works at golfsmith and he said TM drivers have been cracking like crazy because they use the thinnest possible material in order to get the distance numbers.

Tom Kroll was just on XM radio talking about this one. Biggest thing they admitted was that they made drivers that weren't forgiving for the amateur, and that they've learned their lesson. This new driver is supposed to be able to give the user the option of more forgiving but not as hot, or hot but not as forgiving.

I'm not entirely sure they don't --- However, a basic fitting isn't always the best plan of action, especially if they are touting 28 shaft options.

Rather, I think educating people to be a bit more proactive before launching their hard earned dollars at a marketing campaign would be the best option -- But no big box retailer is going to push custom orders over sales off the rack, are they? And not many guys who don't care enough to learn how their driver works are going to be willing to wait for said custom fit driver.

it's a pretty vicious cycle for those who prefer not to care what they are playing.

I think the truth is that most places are more than happy to suggest a fitting (even if it's just for length and lie), but I also think people want the immediate gratification of walking out of the store with something in hand, rather than waiting what could be a couple weeks to a month, depending on the manufacturer. Even the Golf Galaxy here will do a bare minimum fitting with anyone who walks in the store, and that's probably "good enough" for a lot of people.

I understand this, but golfers need to be encouraged by the companies to take advantage for optimal results.

I'm not entirely sure they don't --- However, a basic fitting isn't always the best plan of action, especially if they are touting 28 shaft options.

Rather, I think educating people to be a bit more proactive before launching their hard earned dollars at a marketing campaign would be the best option -- But no big box retailer is going to push custom orders over sales off the rack, are they? And not many guys who don't care enough to learn how their driver works are going to be willing to wait for said custom fit driver.

it's a pretty vicious cycle for those who prefer not to care what they are playing.

Agreed. That's where marketing comes in.

Not what I said. Most casual players are un aware of this. The companies need to promote this more and encourage it through marketing.

Is this something that companies could/would ever offer? I always thought it had to do with the place selling it. And any of the big stores say right on their fitting prices that they will be put towards a new purchase.

Tom Kroll was just on XM radio talking about this one. Biggest thing they admitted was that they made drivers that weren't forgiving for the amateur, and that they've learned their lesson. This new driver is supposed to be able to give the user the option of more forgiving but not as hot, or hot but not as forgiving.

That's something i am excited to see. Can it accommodate more than just low spinning center face ball strikers?

....and beyond that, can it accommodate said higher spin players who are also seeking the option of switching to more forgiving settings?

Is this something that companies could/would ever offer? I always thought it had to do with the place selling it. And any of the big stores say right on their fitting prices that they will be put towards a new purchase.

They could offer a rebate for the fitting to the retailer or something. That driver isn't costing them half of what it costs.

They could offer a rebate for the fitting to the retailer or something. That driver isn't costing them half of what it costs.

But they already offer free fittings...should they offer a rebate for a discount if you get fit? That wouldn't make sense to me.

Something many forget about is that many of us are several hours away from a location that has proper fittings. I am a minimum of 2 hours away from a store that might have more than one shaft for a driver head and where I am, most do not carry all brands and models of clubs.

I am confused how offering multiple shaft options for no fee is a bad thing? Is it a bad thing when a different company does it?

That's something i am excited to see. Can it accommodate more than just low spinning center face ball strikers?

....and beyond that, can it accommodate said higher spin players who are also seeking the option of switching to more forgiving settings?
I hope you are right. In a way it kind of feels like they co-opted Callaway's composites and a less elegant version of Cobra Fly Z+'s flip zone then tossed it on their SLDR/R15 platform. I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that - if you see other people doing good stuff, why not adopt it? As with everything, the proof is in the pudding. Let's see what happens when real people start putting swings on it.

Back