TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

54 holes? Get some rest Saturday...
Nah. Easy peasy. Walking too.

Looking forward to sharing some thoughts as I like what I've seen so far.

I'm taking mine to the range tomorrow.

Great thoughts BFT.

Will be getting out with the one I have in hand a lot this weekend, fundraiser Sunday w/ the kids where we are playing 54.

Awesome! 54 holes should give some solid feedback about this club. Can't wait to hear about how it went!

I have been having some serious fun so far with this club... And there is still a TON of testing to go!

Nah. Easy peasy. Walking too.

Looking forward to sharing some thoughts as I like what I've seen so far.

Excited to hear your thoughts. I got range time on the schedule tomorrow with this one.

Anybody playing this with a more upright lie? As much as many reviews have said the M2 is a lot like the M1 but without the adjustable weight, I noticed that the lie adjustment for the M2 is 56-60 while for the M1 it is 58-62.

I hit the M2 the other day at an Edwin Watts and, for me, the lie seemed a little flat. I play a 44" shaft on my driver and like it a little more upright (right now I am 62*)

Last edited:
Hit the range today. My swing was quite rusty since I haven't swung in a week. Ball flight was pretty high and straight whim I put a good swing on it. The feel and sound is very muted as others have said. Very little vibration. The ball feels like it jumps off the face. The range balls were flighted but distance was pretty good compared to what I normally hit. I'll have to wait until my round tomorrow to get a better idea. I know where the ball usually ends up at my club. It's gonna take some time to get used to how light it feels. So far I really like it.

Really like the looks of this one ... do they sell different weighted weights for this?

Really like the looks of this one ... do they sell different weighted weights for this?
As far as I'm aware they do not.

This being the first year I've bought and ordered a Taylormade product I'm actually appalled that their "Custom Department" (and I use that term loosely) doesn't adjust the swing weights of the clubs if you order them longer or shorter. Pretty damn mickey mouse operation IMO and they should be embarrassed.

As far as I'm aware they do not.

This being the first year I've bought and ordered a Taylormade product I'm actually appalled that their "Custom Department" (and I use that term loosely) doesn't adjust the swing weights of the clubs if you order them longer or shorter. Pretty damn mickey mouse operation IMO and they should be embarrassed.

Agree, especially with how "custom" all of the other companies have become. Looking at my purchases over the last year, none have been off the rack and all have been "custom" in some way, even if it's just as simple as ordering with a midsize grip.

You can't change out the weights. The one on the bottom is permanent I think. Not sure if you can order a different weight. I don't believe so.

Picked up my new M2 this morning and played 18.

9.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 60 stiff.

Some highlights.

-I continue to love this club. It feels great when you hit it in the sweet spot (which is quite big), and not horrible on mishits. If you hit it realllly low on the face or far out on the toe, if still feels like hitting a hard range ball wrapped in velvet.

-Average distance today was 268, with the longest being 291.

-The Rogue Silver 60 was a huge improvement over the Matrix Black Tie 60m4. It felt much better. Neither boardy or too soft. Loved it.

-agree with others about the crown, it looks great.

-Got much more penetrating launch from the 9.5* than the 10.5* I had last time. Downside is getting a tad bit more side spin, so more likely to get stronger fades if not slices if I'm not careful. If that becomes an issue will put it up to 10.25* .

-It might be just my imagination, but it sure feels like I'm getting a couple more mph swing speed with the lighter head.

edit: I should add, played with my usual golfing buddy yesterday. We normally drive the same distance, going back and forth hole to hole on who had the longer drive. I out drove him on every hole yesterday. The consistancy on off center hits with the m2 really makes a difference.

Last edited:
You can't change out the weights. The one on the bottom is permanent I think. Not sure if you can order a different weight. I don't believe so.

This is incorrect. T20 security bit and a little heat will remove the locktite bond.

It's been mentioned on other forums that RBZ weights work which are offered in 4g up to 10g weights.

This is incorrect. T20 security bit and a little heat will remove the locktite bond.

It's been mentioned on other forums that RBZ weights work which are offered in 4g up to 10g weights.

He was referring to the fact that it is not designed to be changed. Hence the reason heat is needed.
Similar to one saying "fixed shaft" when obviously any shaft can be removed.

He was referring to the fact that it is not designed to be changed. Hence the reason heat is needed.

Yes. That's what I meant.

Sorry.

He mentioned it "can't be changed" and "permanent" so I had to correct him.

If I was googling, Can an M2 weight be replaced? And found his response one would think No.
So I wanted to clear this up.

Also comparing a weight that is easily changed with a $2 bit and hairdryer is much different than pulling a bonded shaft, that to do properly, requires a shaft extractor that can cost upwards of $100-300.

I am intrigued by this line seeing as how my driver is now nearly 3 years old so maybe some more forgiveness would be a good upgrade at looking into

Looking forward to following this one. I really really like the look at address and agree that it could help with alignment off the tee.

James comparing it to the SuperTri is an enormous compliment as I know how much that one was adored by many.

Would love to hear direct comparison thoughts to the GBB since it's my normal gamer if anyone has experience there.

And nice photos RyJo and Jman.

Just curious, if you want that much adjustability, why not just get the m1?

Just curious, if you want that much adjustability, why not just get the m1?
I'll agree and disagree here. True that if more adjustability is what one wants then the M1 is clearly the club you should be looking at.
But on the flip side of the coin a customer should be able to order an M2 through Taylormade's custom department with some length adjustments without having to worry about the swing weight being different than stock IMO. Especially considering that they are offering 28 No-Upcharge shaft options it shows that they are aware of the benefits of having golfers get fit into an ideal setup, it seems half-assed to not have proper swing weight/length adjustments available.
As far as I'm aware if you order an M1 at 44" they still won't do anything with more or different weights to get the swing weight back up.

Looking forward to following this one. I really really like the look at address and agree that it could help with alignment off the tee.

James comparing it to the SuperTri is an enormous compliment as I know how much that one was adored by many.

Would love to hear direct comparison thoughts to the GBB since it's my normal gamer if anyone has experience there.

And nice photos RyJo and Jman.

I can only give my thoughts from my fitting when I hit both this and the GBB as it came down to a choice between them - the only thing I can say is that my swing was not really playing that day

Looking at the Flightscope numbers, they were very similar with the GBB just pipping the M2 by around 7yds, but this could have been due to the adjustable weight being set to counteract my fade/slice I had going that day helping to keep the ball slightly straighter

I did have a slightly higher swing speed with the M2 (M2 102.6 v GBB 99.1) but I got better contact with the GBB (Smash GBB 1.41 v M2 1.38)
I won't add my spin numbers as they won't really help much as they were pretty high, but that is my swing and I am working on fixing that at the moment
Both clubs launched at a very similar angle (GBB 11.3 v M2 11.0) but the M2 actually had a higher peak height than the GBB so consequently came down at a steeper angle and that could possibly account for the difference in total distance

My final decision on which to buy came down to the adjustability of the GBB and being able to help out when my swing wasn't working, but if you can get the desired ball flight from the M2 without the adjustable weight then they are both very good drivers

If I had to choose between the M1 and M2, I would pick the M2 as I thought it felt a lot better to me, but that is just my personal opinion and I don't hit any driver consistently enough to warrant the extra sliding weights of the M1 over the M2

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these drivers, at the end of the day it all comes down to what you want and prefer the look of I reckon

The sound is pretty epic from this one. I'm digging the feel as well. As soon as I figure out how to hit driver again I'll comment on performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent about 30 minutes on the range with this one and FlightScope today. First off, I love the sound, its as if TaylorMade took a few years off in terms of thinking about sound/feel and then came back to their classic sound that was so good. Its explosive and hot without being too metallic and one that I really like.

Distance was good. On par with my other drivers, which is a good thing. Spin numbers and launch are solid on well hit shots. Averaging about 2800 and 13 degrees when hit on the button.

I know people want to hear about forgiveness, so this is my take and only after one session on FlightScope.
Hitting the ball high on the face gave me lower spin (as expected) and slightly lower ball speed (better than expected) and solid distance.
Hitting the ball low on the face gave me higher spin (as expected), but WAY lower ball speed (not as expected) and a tremendous loss in distance. This happened on shots both towards the toe and heel as well.

Overall, when swinging well, I liked what I saw. My miss on the driver tends to be high on the face and I was seeing some pretty remarkable shots with that miss. When missing low, I was really surprised with how much I lost, in an area where ball speeds are generally higher (along with spin).

Simply one test, with one person, on one day. Further testing coming soon.

Well, it's too nice of a day not to get outdoors and hit this again. I just got back from the range and was piping this thing. My M2 was launching them today. I was getting a nice mid-high ball flight that would stay true and maintain its line. I was getting a straight flight that consistently went deep. I will try and get on a monitor ASAP to compare my numbers with my 815 and G series. What I couldn't get over today was the feel... Being warmer and sunny today ( closer to optimal outdoor golf temperatures) The ball just felt like it was springing off the face. I had a lot of fun hitting this today. I cannot wait to get this out on the course.

Side note: this driver just looks sweet in my bag. I love the look of the headcover as well. The driver just looks powerful!

Spent about 30 minutes on the range with this one and FlightScope today. First off, I love the sound, its as if TaylorMade took a few years off in terms of thinking about sound/feel and then came back to their classic sound that was so good. Its explosive and hot without being too metallic and one that I really like.

Distance was good. On par with my other drivers, which is a good thing. Spin numbers and launch are solid on well hit shots. Averaging about 2800 and 13 degrees when hit on the button.

I know people want to hear about forgiveness, so this is my take and only after one session on FlightScope.
Hitting the ball high on the face gave me lower spin (as expected) and slightly lower ball speed (better than expected) and solid distance.
Hitting the ball low on the face gave me higher spin (as expected), but WAY lower ball speed (not as expected) and a tremendous loss in distance. This happened on shots both towards the toe and heel as well.

Overall, when swinging well, I liked what I saw. My miss on the driver tends to be high on the face and I was seeing some pretty remarkable shots with that miss. When missing low, I was really surprised with how much I lost, in an area where ball speeds are generally higher (along with spin).

Simply one test, with one person, on one day. Further testing coming soon.

JB, couldn't agree more about the sound... As I said in a previous post, I think TaylorMade nailed this one. Not to metallic, but also not too dull or muted as many multi material heads can be...

Also, my miss also tends to be higher on the face and I am still creating a nice launch with solid feel.

JB, couldn't agree more about the sound... As I said in a previous post, I think TaylorMade nailed this one. Not to metallic, but also not too dull or muted as many multi material heads can be...

Also, my miss also tends to be higher on the face and I am still creating a nice launch with solid feel.

As a general rule, higher on the face means higher launch, lower ball speed and lower spin
Lower on the face means lower launch, higher ball speed and higher spin.

Back