TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

I'm jonesing to hit mine. I've been under the weather since Friday and no energy to hit anything. I keep looking at them hoping they'll rejuvenate me and give me some motivation. Just bed rest right now.

Thanks for all of the great info and feedback from my fellow TM staffers!

CB- loved the videos...especially the putter one! Glad to see someone went with the 2.0!

I hit 12 of 14 fairways today with the R11. One miss was about 4'. The other I yanked. Is that good?

Kevin

I hit 12 of 14 fairways today with the R11. One miss was about 4'. The other I yanked. Is that good?

Kevin

No thats not good! :alien: Just got back from playing 9 holes, and then a long range session. I wanted to play 18 but it was slow out there today, so I left after 9 and just went back to the range. The Superfast 2.0 driver is LONG, I'm hitting balls to parts of the course and the range I have never seen before. On top of that it is nice and forgiving, it gives me confidence that I don't have to hit it perfect every time to get the needed distance. The Matrix Ozik HD6 shaft just feels great, I can really feel it loading and unloading, and I'm seeing just a beautiful ball flight with that shaft combined with the 10.5* head. High without balloning, and it just goes and goes and goes, I'm in love. But if I love the driver, then I'm doubly in love with the Burner superfast 2.0 3 wood. I'm hitting it as far as my old driver sometimes. Case in point, 3rd hole, 345 yard par 4 with a river at 235 yards, 245 to carry, and its down hill. I hit the 3 wood, and carry the water EASILY and end up 30 yards short of the green! Now the hole is down hill and if you can carry the water it is all down hill to the hole, but thats still a 315 yard 3 wood, its so easy to hit and I had some success with it off the deck and I've never been great at that.
The Rescue 11 hybrids and I need to spend some more time together. Off the tee, I'm crushing them with a nice high ball flight and I love the feel of the RIP 85 shaft. Off the turf it was hit and miss for me with both clubs, but I didn't really have a great swing working today with any of my irons so I'm not worried at all, I just need to get used to them as it is a big change in feel from the hybrids I was gaming before.
Overall I came away so impressed today with the woods TaylorMade has made for me for the Morgan Cup. I was a little worried going into today and the 1* open face of the driver and the toe weighting would lead to some big slices for me, but I was seeing a nice fade just like I'm used to. Have to say again Thank you to THP and TaylorMade for this amazing event.

CB... lmfao. That saw was a great touch!!! Great results so far too.

Kevin

Jeebus! That's awesome dude. Well done. That had to feel good first time out.

Cool, love the update. I told you you'd like the Matrix shaft and the Superfast 3wood! Good stuff bro!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Nice CB. That was quite a 3 wood. Glad the initial feedback is positive. What do you think of the sound of the 2.0?

CB, you silly Wookie, why didn't you hit driver? You have to take some chances out there to shoot the really low scores. You could have driven that green and made eagle.

Still feeling my way a bit with the new R11 driver. It is so straight in the standard settings, it's crazy. Still want to hit it a little farther, but today was better than yesterday. Longest drive 266. Two others in the 250s. Three or four others in the 240s. A few in the 230s that were not well struck, and a couple of skanks, a sky and a pull, at 207 and 225. So the average was up.

On the 9th hole today my daughter made a nice observation. She told me that I looked nice and relaxed with the half practice swing I take, (I'm not a big practice swinger), then was tensing up over the ball. I started to get a little tempo in there and started to really feel the shaft load. Did the same thing on the one three wood and one hybrid I hit after that and saw good results.

Aside from most of them in the fairway, there were a few hiccups with contact. But I actually hit the new woods better than I hit my irons today. Much better.

I want to mess with the settings. I fear I'm spinning the ball a bit too much as the roll out has been limited, albeit on kind of a spongy golf course. But I would like to make more consistent solid contact before I change to make sure I'm not giving up on the nice high ball flight I've seen on the shots I hit well.

Kevin

Awesome video CB. The saw was killer and I loved when Kingsley asked where your friends were. Great club selection and write up from today's round.

Cool video CG. The R11 sounds like it is treating you well. Keep it up man.

I ended up working until after dark friday, so this morning I got to break in the woods. I had a captain's choice tournament at 9 and hit the range before to try everything out. I think I am in love with the RIP shaft. I didn't hit a single fade, which is highly unusual for my driver. The ball started straight and stayed that way or drew slightly. I hit a few balls with the Rescue club and it felt great. It wasn't launching as high as my old hybrid, which I really liked. It had a nice mid high ball flight and sat down nicely on the practice green they had on the range. Actually, it sat down like a short iron shot which really impressed me. I couldn't really get a feel for the 3 wood though. I tried hitting a few off the turf, but kept topping them. I didn't have enough time to get a great range session in, but plan to tomorrow evening after work. (hopefully)

On the course during the round I hit some great drives. I hit nothing right, which has been my miss forever. The ball generally went where I aimed, but I did top a couple shots that I tried to send into the next county. On decent swings, the RIP Beta seems to be working well for me so far. I had a friend take a video of one of my swings. It was one the par 5 16th that left us in the center of the fairway 147 out.

The swing felt pretty good, but I broke down some of the frames when I got home and found the following:
- I swayed, which I have been working on correcting recently.
- I released the club head too soon and lost my lag.

I hope to get some serious range time in this week and really get a feel for the new woods. I didn't get to hit the R11 3w a lot today, so I really want to spend some time with her. I am going to get some more video so I can get a pretty good idea of my current swing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the video DD! You're buddy at the end was funny, "they can't see where the ball went" hahahaha. Nice swing too dude, looked like you punished that mother! Love that you're on my squad dude.....you could be the dark horse baby!

Esox, you need a TEMPO swing thought bracelet dude. Where are you missing your drives with the R11, high on the face?

Nice CB. That was quite a 3 wood. Glad the initial feedback is positive. What do you think of the sound of the 2.0?

On a flat surface it probably carried 230 yards but thats huge for me.

Jeebus! That's awesome dude. Well done. That had to feel good first time out.

Cool, love the update. I told you you'd like the Matrix shaft and the Superfast 3wood! Good stuff bro!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Can't thank you enough buddy, you said I would love the Matrix shaft and the superfast 3 wood and I do.

CB, you silly Wookie, why didn't you hit driver? You have to take some chances out there to shoot the really low scores. You could have driven that green and made eagle.

Still feeling my way a bit with the new R11 driver. It is so straight in the standard settings, it's crazy. Still want to hit it a little farther, but today was better than yesterday. Longest drive 266. Two others in the 250s. Three or four others in the 240s. A few in the 230s that were not well struck, and a couple of skanks, a sky and a pull, at 207 and 225. So the average was up.

On the 9th hole today my daughter made a nice observation. She told me that I looked nice and relaxed with the half practice swing I take, (I'm not a big practice swinger), then was tensing up over the ball. I started to get a little tempo in there and started to really feel the shaft load. Did the same thing on the one three wood and one hybrid I hit after that and saw good results.

Aside from most of them in the fairway, there were a few hiccups with contact. But I actually hit the new woods better than I hit my irons today. Much better.

I want to mess with the settings. I fear I'm spinning the ball a bit too much as the roll out has been limited, albeit on kind of a spongy golf course. But I would like to make more consistent solid contact before I change to make sure I'm not giving up on the nice high ball flight I've seen on the shots I hit well.

Kevin

Driver is dangerous on that hole as both left and right are out of bounds. Next time out I am going to give it a shot. Sounds like your having a lot of good times with the R11. Thats a lot of fairways to hit in one round.

Thinned one or two, but hit a couple that went high and and a little weak out towards the toe. One of those went 241, though, the other mid 230s. None truly high on the face that I recall.

Kevin

Thinned one or two, but hit a couple that went high and and a little weak out towards the toe. One of those went 241, though, the other mid 230s. None truly high on the face that I recall.

Kevin

That's where I miss with that club, high on the face. The ball just loses distance. I think the R11 is awesome when hit on the screws, but average at best when not.

On a flat surface it probably carried 230 yards but thats huge for me.

Can't thank you enough buddy, you said I would love the Matrix shaft and the superfast 3 wood and I do.

Driver is dangerous on that hole as both left and right are out of bounds. Next time out I am going to give it a shot. Sounds like your having a lot of good times with the R11. Thats a lot of fairways to hit in one round.

Some were too short, but short and straight with somewhat poor contact is better than in the trees. This place had pretty wide fairways, but I was well inside on most of them. The longest one absolutely split the middle. My daughter was laughing and said we should measure from each side. What's cool is I am picking specific targets like just outside the corner of a fairway bunker and the ball goes right where its aimed in a lot cases. That's why I'm hesitant to move the weights or change the settings until I'm sure the set up is costing me distance when I make good contact.

Kevin

Kevin

Any chance you can get some time on a launch monitor to confirm the spin?

That's where I miss with that club, high on the face. The ball just loses distance. I think the R11 is awesome when hit on the screws, but average at best when not.

I'll drop my head on an iron shot more than I like at hit it fat, but a bad driver shot for me is generally thin as I'll stand up through it a bit. Or slide my head through impact and hit it way left. High on the face isn't my problem. I think I just need to trust the tempo. It will be interesting to get this on a more firm golf course. It's been interesting, and a little disconcerting, to measure most every drive with GPS. If I can get this thing consistently around or just above 260 total, and keep hitting it straight, I'm going to be trouble for opponents.

So far in two rounds, aside from the pulled shot today that was a nightmare of a bad swing, I have not hit one really wild shot with this driver in two rounds. And I have probably only hit 30 balls with it on the range. That's a pretty big positive.

Kevin

Any chance you can get some time on a launch monitor to confirm the spin?

Not sure where I would do that, but I'll do some trial and error after some more practice with the standard settings.

Kevin

Great videos and pics there guys!!! It is fun to watch everyone get their weapons of mass destruction and to see how excited they are! I am looking forward to reading more reports of how they are performing.

I'll drop my head on an iron shot more than I like at hit it fat, but a bad driver shot for me is generally thin as I'll stand up through it a bit. Or slide my head through impact and hit it way left. High on the face isn't my problem. I think I just need to trust the tempo. It will be interesting to get this on a more firm golf course. It's been interesting, and a little disconcerting, to measure most every drive with GPS. If I can get this thing consistently around or just above 260 total, and keep hitting it straight, I'm going to be trouble for opponents.

So far in two rounds, aside from the pulled shot today that was a nightmare of a bad swing, I have not hit one really wild shot with this driver in two rounds. And I have probably only hit 30 balls with it on the range. That's a pretty big positive.

Kevin

I think the sheer fact that you're a left handed vagitarian makes you trouble for an opponent.

Great videos and pics there guys!!! It is fun to watch everyone get their weapons of mass destruction and to see how excited they are! I am looking forward to reading more reports of how they are performing.

Did you get your new sticks today?

I think the sheer fact that you're a left handed vagitarian makes you trouble for an opponent.

He might get hungry out there and start looking at his opponents like they're giant hotdogs.

Back