TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

Not sure where I would do that, but I'll do some trial and error after some more practice with the standard settings.

Kevin

I don't know what golf stores you have around there but golf galaxy or someplace similar. You could probably dial in the spin numbers in 10 minutes or so.

I don't know what golf stores you have around there but golf galaxy or someplace similar. You could probably dial in the spin numbers in 10 minutes or so.

I'm pretty sure Golf Galaxy is not letting me use a monitor with a club I did not purchase there. Mostly Richards manning that place near me. Golfsmith would be a more likely choice. I have a few questions I want to ask of a fitter there that used to be an independent but had to close his business. I keep missing him. I'd rather not use a monitor or ask these questions of the rest of the youngsters that work there.

I've only had the thing for two days. I'll play and practice with it for a bit. Remember, launch monitors are like doctors.

Kevin

CB, great video. Love the selections. Did I tell you that those grips look dead sexy?

Line of the night, "Daddy where are your friends?" CB in his best Tom Green voice, "They're on the internet."

Dude not use to seeing McConaughey with short hair. Must be a summer thing.

Remember, launch monitors are like doctors.

So they give you useful information that you can learn from and get better with? I hope that's what you mean.

Love the video DD! You're buddy at the end was funny, "they can't see where the ball went" hahahaha. Nice swing too dude, looked like you punished that mother! Love that you're on my squad dude.....you could be the dark horse baby!

haha thanks TC. He's not very tech savvy.

So they give you useful information that you can learn from and get better with? I hope that's what you mean.

Both might tell you things you'd rather not know.

Kevin

Hour on the Range today and dialed in the R11.

Went 1* lower, ASP open, 10 gram heel, 1 gram toe. this gave me the perfect draws.

Can't wait to get some distance measurements on the course tomorrow.

But my goal is 10/14 FIR

Hour on the Range today and dialed in the R11.

Went 1* lower, ASP open, 10 gram heel, 1 gram toe. this gave me the perfect draws.

Can't wait to get some distance measurements on the course tomorrow.

But my goal is 10/14 FIR

How many settings have you already tried in two days? I'm giving the standard some time. Aren't you concerned all the time you're putting in practicing will result in improvements that may make what you learned in your fitting invalid?

Kevin

How many settings have you already tried in two days? I'm giving the standard some time. Aren't you concerned all the time you're putting in practicing will result in improvements that may make what you learned in your fitting invalid?

Kevin

I did one session with it STD. Ball flight was high and I had some cuts going.

I changed one setting and it hit a few times, then hit a few wedges, hit the driver some more.
Changed some settings, so on and so forth.

It really is a straight driver, I'm used to dealing with severe lefts and rights from the super tri. Only had a couple bad r11's when I was getting overly aggressive or tired and getting handsy.

The kai'li shaft really likes a second to load at the top. I make a fast transition and have to tell myself to slow it down up there.

Have neglected the FW last few days so can't wait to play with them tomorrow.

You guys are doing a great job keeping us mere mortals up to date. Keep it coming. I love all the video and pictures in here.

I think all of the potential settings in the R11 would make my head spin.

I have to say that the 3w is a super long fairway. I love that thing on bad driver days. Deadly accurate, I think you TM players will have a field day over the Callaway folks. The Razr hawk does not match up fairly in my opinion. Did anyone get the ti version, that sucker is soooo hot off the face.

I have to say that the 3w is a super long fairway. I love that thing on bad driver days. Deadly accurate, I think you TM players will have a field day over the Callaway folks. The Razr hawk does not match up fairly in my opinion. Did anyone get the ti version, that sucker is soooo hot off the face.

You know this b/c you own the R11 3wood and the RH 3wood, or just b/c you own the R11 3wood?

I don't think any TM player will have a field day over me. It's all about getting the right combination of shaft/head anyway. I don't like generalization type posts like this.

I said in my opinion, which does not account for much as you folks are much better players. I do know that for me, the R11 blows the razr hawk line out of the water. I offer an appology, as the last post may not have been though out well enough. I did generalize and that is a bad assumption. Yet, I still beleive that the r11 is a much better club in terms of feedback, accuracy, and distance. I am quite sure that you could teach me a well deserved lesson on course with your Callaway. I do not mind eating crow here or there. In short, sorry, I do not think a player will necessarily have a field day over you or your team. Rather, I feel the TM metalwoods are superor to Callaway if fit properly.

I said in my opinion, which does not account for much as you folks are much better players. I do know that for me, the R11 blows the razr hawk line out of the water. I offer an appology, as the last post may not have been though out well enough. I did generalize and that is a bad assumption. Yet, I still beleive that the r11 is a much better club in terms of feedback, accuracy, and distance. I am quite sure that you could teach me a well deserved lesson on course with your Callaway. I do not mind eating crow here or there. In short, sorry, I do not think a player will necessarily have a field day over you or your team. Rather, I feel the TM metalwoods are superor to Callaway if fit properly.

No worries Mark. It's all good brother, I am just more curious than anything. I've never hit either 3wood, but have had the Superfast in my bag for about a year and a half. I'm desperate to get any sort of information or feedback on the Razr Hawk 3wood. I haven't found much. I certainly respect your opinion dude, just hoping for more feedback than anything.

In my comparison at various demo days here is what I found:
Looks: R11, razr hawk is nice though. Nice shape. The R11 set up better for me when looking down and the face of the club looks way better.
Feel: R11 felt much more solid. The Razr Hawk felt a tad hollow to me.
Sound: Both sounded good, edge to the R11 because my bias.
Distance: I found the R11 to be about (estimating from range) to be about 5-10 yards longer. I hit my R11 (when consitent) about 230-40ish. The callaway demo day I was hitting the Razr hawk about 230. On ten shots with each, the TM won out. Other factors may have been in play (e.g., ball, confidence, likability)
Flight: Very similar low rise high arch then drop.
Shaft: I upgraded mine. Both standard shafts are ok. I am not an expert though.
Grip: Callaway appears to always have better stock grips then TM and they always feel better. Seems like Callaway puts extra tape or larger grips in. I like that.

Although very subjective and varied in skill level. This is what I found. I am not at the point in my game that a 4-5 hc would be at in terms of determing subtle variances in equipment. I can only go on so much. Furthermore, my bias (seems to be cracking) to TM equipment also factors in here. In the hybrid category, I firmly believe the Rescue 11 to be superior in every aspect.

Adjustability vs. Forged Composite: Adj wins. I feel Callaway is dropping the adj ball.

Thank you Mark, now that was good information and good food for thought. Appreciate ya!

Had a chance to hit these on the range some as well as play my first full round with the 4 new additions to the bag. I'll give a more detailed breakdown later, but just wanted to get some quick thoughts out there.

R11 Driver: Found out while I was laid up yesterday that the shaft was cut 1/2" shorter than standard. I had ordered it standard. I put the shaft in my existing driver head to test it out in case it was too short to play with, I could send back a new head to TMaG. I missed more fairways than I had been recently, most of them peeling off right. When I did hit it straight, it was off the bottom of the club. I had 5 penalties, 2 caused from the driver off the tee. Just didn't feel like I could control this club and just could not get comfortable with setting up to the ball. Didn't think 1/2" would be that big of a deal, but it was. I hit it on the range afterwards and got it dialed in a little more, but still not sold.

R11 3 wood: Of the 5 penalties, 2 were from this club from the fairway. Shaft is a little light and I could not go at this. I really need to just put a good smooth, controlled swing on this, which I was not. I hit it once from the tee and striped it down the middle. Took it out to the range afterwards, made some adjustments and hit some really good shots with it.

2 Hybrid: Didn't hit this all day, but got some work on the range with it and really like this club. I could get different trajectories and most of them were where I was trying to hit. Love the weight of this 85g Aldila Rip that is in here.

4 Hybrid: Hit one shot off the tee with this and lost it right. That's the only time I needed it. Again, on the range I was able to figure out what I was doing and hit some really good shots with it.

I got to the range about 45 minutes before my tee time this morning and did as much tuning as I could. I basically went out and played a round with clubs and shafts I had never hit and just never got comfortable with them. Ball positions were all wrong and was really lost out there. I'm not sure if the shorter driver shaft is going to work. One more range session and round will be telling. I just felt like I lost more distance and I had no idea where the ball was going.

I'm really glad I have these in my bag so I can get them adjusted properly and used to them before August. The 3 wood and hybrids are extremely good and solid. I just need to learn how to hit a 3 wood off the deck again, I seem to have forgot.

Ended up with an 85, 13 bogies, 5 pars (5 penalties and a 3 jack). My short game saved me from getting doubles on those penalty holes.

I am playing again tomorrow and should be able to get about a 2 hour range session in ahead of time. Will be able to get some more tuning done then and see if I can manage this shorter driver.

Had a chance to hit these on the range some as well as play my first full round with the 4 new additions to the bag. I'll give a more detailed breakdown later, but just wanted to get some quick thoughts out there.

R11 Driver: Found out while I was laid up yesterday that the shaft was cut 1/2" shorter than standard. I had ordered it standard. I put the shaft in my existing driver head to test it out in case it was too short to play with, I could send back a new head to TMaG. I missed more fairways than I had been recently, most of them peeling off right. When I did hit it straight, it was off the bottom of the club. I had 5 penalties, 2 caused from the driver off the tee. Just didn't feel like I could control this club and just could not get comfortable with setting up to the ball. Didn't think 1/2" would be that big of a deal, but it was. I hit it on the range afterwards and got it dialed in a little more, but still not sold.

R11 3 wood: Of the 5 penalties, 2 were from this club from the fairway. Shaft is a little light and I could not go at this. I really need to just put a good smooth, controlled swing on this, which I was not. I hit it once from the tee and striped it down the middle. Took it out to the range afterwards, made some adjustments and hit some really good shots with it.

2 Hybrid: Didn't hit this all day, but got some work on the range with it and really like this club. I could get different trajectories and most of them were where I was trying to hit. Love the weight of this 85g Aldila Rip that is in here.

4 Hybrid: Hit one shot off the tee with this and lost it right. That's the only time I needed it. Again, on the range I was able to figure out what I was doing and hit some really good shots with it.

I got to the range about 45 minutes before my tee time this morning and did as much tuning as I could. I basically went out and played a round with clubs and shafts I had never hit and just never got comfortable with them. Ball positions were all wrong and was really lost out there. I'm not sure if the shorter driver shaft is going to work. One more range session and round will be telling. I just felt like I lost more distance and I had no idea where the ball was going.

I'm really glad I have these in my bag so I can get them adjusted properly and used to them before August. The 3 wood and hybrids are extremely good and solid. I just need to learn how to hit a 3 wood off the deck again, I seem to have forgot.

Ended up with an 85, 13 bogies, 5 pars (5 penalties and a 3 jack). My short game saved me from getting doubles on those penalty holes.

I am playing again tomorrow and should be able to get about a 2 hour range session in ahead of time. Will be able to get some more tuning done then and see if I can manage this shorter driver.

Awesome stuff Biggsy, looking forward to the rest of the info!!! Keep up the great updates I love hearing about all the clubs involved.

Good read Biggsy, sounds a little like my day yesterday, its going to take some time to dial in the woods and hybrids. Look forward to more of your updates.

I'm sure with a bit more work you'll get them dialed in. New clubs always take a few strokes to get used to.

Boy Mark I've had the exact opposite experience with the R11's. I think the Cally Razr line is far superior especially in terms of forgiveness. In fact I will say the R11 driver was the least forgiving driver that I've tried in years.

Boy Mark I've had the exact opposite experience with the R11's. I think the Cally Razr line is far superior especially in terms of forgiveness. In fact I will say the R11 driver was the least forgiving driver that I've tried in years.

When you're talking forgiveness, what exactly do you expect on mishits? Why specifically is the Cally more forgiving in your case?

I'll post my thoughts about forgiveness and the R11, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Kevin

I agree with you about the R11 forgiveness which is exactly why I went with the Superfast 2.0.

I agree with you about the R11 forgiveness which is exactly why I went with the Superfast 2.0.

experienced the same thing here as well

When you're talking forgiveness, what exactly do you expect on mishits? Why specifically is the Cally more forgiving in your case?

I'll post my thoughts about forgiveness and the R11, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Kevin

I felt like I lost a ton of yards and accuracy on just the slightest of mishits. I'm talking 20 yards if not hit in the center. And if you are not hitting it well it seemed to go farther off line than the other drivers I've tested including the Callaway. On a good day the R11 is very good. I felt like I could move it left or right with no real issues. Just on the bad days, and I have a lot of those, it punished me more than other drivers in its class. I would put the R11 in the players driver category. The Callaway on the other hand is very forgiving on mishits. I feel like especially off the toe, I was still getting good distance. CB I also would have gone with the SF. Now that driver I liked.

Back