TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball Review Thread

I got in a few holes of practice late this afternoon. I did some comparison between the Project 5 and the '10 model B330-RX with full wedge shots from 70 yrds with my *54 degree . As I mentioned earlier I see a slightly higher ball flight with the TM Project 5 over the B330-RX. Whats interesting is that even with the higher ball flight there doesn't seem to be any distance loss. The ball comes down very soft as well. The average run out from the pitch mark with the Project 5 was 3 paces where the average run out with the '10 B330-RX was 5 paces.

I'm playing in a scramble tomorrow afternoon so I'll try to get the Project 5 in on some approach shots and short game works and post my thoughts.

After getting settled down after dinner I have had a chance to examine the Project 5 balls and just love the look and feel already . The ball seems soft and like many testers have stated it seems like a spinner on the greens. I am gonna have to add a club on approach shots i can tell already to make up for the spin this ball will deliver on the greens . Also the dimple pattern on this ball is unlike any I have seen on another golf ball I have played with and I am hoping the ball has a boring type ball flight and holds it's path in the wind fairly well . I am very happy to have been chosen for the testing and look forward to sharing my experience with the ball with the rest of the members of THP. Now if those other Atlanta testers can hold on to a few of em' I look forward to a test round with you guy's .

I play the Prov1 and penta tp5 alot... I wonder how the cover holds up... My wedges eat the cover off the golf balls I play now... usually only getting on average about 3 holes without really chewing up a ball.

I play the Prov1 and penta tp5 alot... I wonder how the cover holds up... My wedges eat the cover off the golf balls I play now... usually only getting on average about 3 holes without really chewing up a ball.

I have some great durability tests planned once I've put the balls through their regular paces. :messed: Of particular interest will be the 'full swing bladed sand wedge' test and the 'cart path' test... :laugh:

I've already unintentionally completed both these tests with the Hex Black, which has a nice big smile right through the cover.

Great... that was my biggest question is durability... i know you cant have alot of spin and no wear but one can hope.... of the taylormade line the TP3 showed the least amount of wear comparable to spin and all...but if these new Project 5 golf balls spin like the Tp5 or better and have better durability they will diffinitely be gamers for me.. that is if they make it to retail....

I received my Project 5 Balls today and will be putting them in play on Sunday . Saturday also if all goes well with the work load from this week. However it looks like work on saturday for me .I am excited to be teeing these balls up in the next couple days .
Glad they came in for you, looking forward to reading your thoughts.
I got in a few holes of practice late this afternoon. I did some comparison between the Project 5 and the '10 model B330-RX with full wedge shots from 70 yrds with my *54 degree . As I mentioned earlier I see a slightly higher ball flight with the TM Project 5 over the B330-RX. Whats interesting is that even with the higher ball flight there doesn't seem to be any distance loss. The ball comes down very soft as well. The average run out from the pitch mark with the Project 5 was 3 paces where the average run out with the '10 B330-RX was 5 paces.

I'm playing in a scramble tomorrow afternoon so I'll try to get the Project 5 in on some approach shots and short game works and post my thoughts.
Were you seeing the higher ball flight among all of your clubs, or just with the wedge you mentioned?
We play the same wedges, I did short game work with the Project 5 the other day and did not see any significant wear. But, then again, my wedges never seem to chew up balls like others I have gamed in the past.

my old set didnt chew the ball up much... maybe because the groove have been beat down... but i got a new set a few months ago.... I hope maybe i could see some pic of the wear of the golf ball after a round or 9 holes maybe...

my old set didnt chew the ball up much... maybe because the groove have been beat down... but i got a new set a few months ago.... I hope maybe i could see some pic of the wear of the golf ball after a round or 9 holes maybe...
I will snap some pics after my round this weekend. Will try to get one after 9, as well as 18.

That would be awesome....

Were you seeing the higher ball flight among all of your clubs, or just with the wedge you mentioned?

I've done multiple shot testing with the 9I and the *54 so it was very easy to notice the higher flight when the Project 5 shot was immediately before or after the same shot with one of the B330-RX.

I hit 2 of each ball type ('10 B330-RX, '12 B330-RX and Project 5) from the fairway with my 5W today and didn't see the higher flight, however I don't think the sample was large enough to be definitive. Need more testing.

I received my Project 5 Balls today and will be putting them in play on Sunday . Saturday also if all goes well with the work load from this week. However it looks like work on saturday for me .I am excited to be teeing these balls up in the next couple days .

Awesome, Bobby. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts. It's a fun ball to play with.

I was hoping to have a pic of the Project 5 from my round on Monday, but I lost the ball in a creek towards the end of the round.

I know that other testers are having different results, but I have noticed that these balls wear a little quicker than other comparable balls. I'm not smart enough to figure out durability testing, though, so I'm interested in seeing Rob's results.

Great job by the testers so far. Keep ip the good work, I look forward to reading more.

Agreed. Ball reviews, IMO, are probably the most difficult to do since differences can be so subtle, but these guys are doing a fantastic job

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Taylor made staff player Stephen Gallacher was In my club today testing this ball on trackman with regards to spin rate and distance in comparison to this years tp5 that he all ready plays . Being a friend I sat in on the sitting and noted the following

driver spin rate tp5 2620 rpm average rate, project 5 - 2530 rrpm
average carry tp5 296.5 yards project 5 301.2 yards . These averages were based on 15 strikes per type off ball.

Other comments on the ball from short game testing done over in Dubai at the recent Dp tour championships in which He came top 15 are that it stops much more aggressively than its penta counterpart but the thin cover and I quote" only has one full wedge shot in it b4 it's beyond playable" . I never post on these sort off things but I stumbled upon this thread and after seeing how thorough the testers are and i thought I would provide some numbers and the thoughts off some1 who is going to be playing the ball for a living next year . Keep up the good work folks

Great work so far testers. I like what I'm reading about the soft feel off the putter face and the greenside spin. I'm not sure about the higher ballflight with the driver since I already hit the TP5 noticeably higher than other balls.

Taylor made staff player Stephen Gallacher was In my club today testing this ball on trackman with regards to spin rate and distance in comparison to this years tp5 that he all ready plays . Being a friend I sat in on the sitting and noted the following

driver spin rate tp5 2620 rpm average rate, project 5 - 2530 rrpm
average carry tp5 296.5 yards project 5 301.2 yards . These averages were based on 15 strikes per type off ball.

Other comments on the ball from short game testing done over in Dubai at the recent Dp tour championships in which He came top 15 are that it stops much more aggressively than its penta counterpart but the thin cover and I quote" only has one full wedge shot in it b4 it's beyond playable" . I never post on these sort off things but I stumbled upon this thread and after seeing how thorough the testers are and i thought I would provide some numbers and the thoughts off some1 who is going to be playing the ball for a living next year . Keep up the good work folks

Wow! Great post Adamc. Seeing numbers is great. I can't wait to get on a monitor in a week.

Lots of great info from the testers so far. Thanks and keep up the great work!

I liked Rob's idea of the bounce test and with the weather not cooperating here's another one.

http://youtu.be/0rEOUyZyfc4

As you can see the bounce height is identical. It made start thinking of other golf balls. How would they compare? Surely a distance ball is going to react different than a tour ball.

I went back to garage and tested about 20 different balls. Prov1, nxt, top flites, rocketballz, e6, e5, pinnacle, callaways, srixon z star and others. All bounced with in an inch or two of each other. Some quick calculations reveled the ball was striking the ground at 14 mph. So what does this tell me? I think the bounce test is inconclusive. Time to come up with something else.

I liked Rob's idea of the bounce test and with the weather not cooperating here's another one.

http://youtu.be/0rEOUyZyfc4

As you can see the bounce height is identical. It made start thinking of other golf balls. How would they compare? Surely a distance ball is going to react different than a tour ball.

I went back to garage and tested about 20 different balls. Prov1, nxt, top flites, rocketballz, e6, e5, pinnacle, callaways, srixon z star and others. All bounced with in an inch or two of each other. Some quick calculations reveled the ball was striking the ground at 14 mph. So what does this tell me? I think the bounce test is inconclusive. Time to come up with something else.

And here I thought that I was the crazy engineer.

My sleeve of golf balls arrived in the mail today! I have my simulator session booked for tomorrow morning where I will get some hard numbers to compare to what I notice on the course. I mentioned this earlier, but I will be hitting the Project 5 and comparing them with the Bridgestone B330 ('12), Strixon Z-Star XV, Callaway Hex Black, and Titleist ProV1 ('13/test). I am going to hit my 7-iron and driver and will probably hit 7 or 8 shots with each ball and will probably remove the data from the best and worst hits with each ball (not set on that though). I will mainly focus on carry distances, back/side spin, and launch angle the most. I'll be sure to take good notes.

My first impressions of the ball themselves notices, like the others said, that they are quite soft to the touch. The dimple pattern seems tightly bunched together and the dimples fit well together. On some golf balls, you notice spaces between the dimples that are quite large, but on the Project 5 balls, there are not too many large gaps between the dimples. It seems like this may help with aerodynamics, but I have no idea if that's the case or not.

I'm looking forward to getting some numbers tomorrow, but whatever the results, I'll be sure to add at least 25 yards to my actual distance, internet style.

Last edited:
I have some great durability tests planned once I've put the balls through their regular paces. :messed: Of particular interest will be the 'full swing bladed sand wedge' test and the 'cart path' test... :laugh:

I've already unintentionally completed both these tests with the Hex Black, which has a nice big smile right through the cover.

Residual effects of our round I see. I did warn you not to watch me. :D

Great work guys, I will be following along with this evaluation.

Question: Could someone compare the Z Star SL to the Project 5? The SL is also a very soft feeling ball and I would be interested in seeing how they compare in feel, spin, and grip around the greens (since I believe all of you have too high of SS to test with a driver)

Really looking forward to putting these through their paces this weekend during my round. Had fun with them on the practice green, but really excited to get to work with them on the course with full swings.

I played in a benefit scramble tournament today at my home course. I used the Project 5 ball off the tee with driver on four holes today and off the tee on three par 3's (7 iron, 5 iron, 9 iron). All of the drives were playable (2 were in the fairway and 2 just in the right rough) and all three of the par 3 shots were on the green. I also used the ball on a few approach shots and on several putts on the green. The ball seems to have more side spin than the B330-RX that I normally play. I felt that what would have been a fade of 10 to 15 yards with my normal ball would move just a bit more right into the 20 to 25 yards range. Distance again seems to be right in line with what I expect from my normal ball. I'm enjoying the performance of the Project 5 ball.

I'm seeing some cosmetic scuffing and blemishing from the shots on the ball but they don't seem to be effecting the performance, which is a good thing.

I'm going to be traveling for the next week and won't get a chance to play again until next Saturday. I look forward to seeing comments from the testers that will be playing this weekend. Have fun out there with the Project 5!

Great thoughts in here testers! I am really looking forward to the spring to give these a shot.

Back