TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball Review Thread

Great pictures, nice writeup RR

I'm excited for these to be released. Back when the original Penta TP's came out i switched to them for a while for what I thought was a few extra yards off the tee and comparable green side feel vs. my gamer Pro V1's. Switched back pretty quickly though for consistency reasons. Always like trying out different balls though!

With that said, is or has anyone tested these against the Pro V1 specifically?

A packaged arrived for me today. I now have my 5 project 5 balls for testing. Can't wait to get started, but of course there's a good chance of rain tomorrow, so I might not get out until Thursday. Plan is to do some short game work during the week and then play a round this weekend.

Rob great pictures and a keen eye noticing the seam. It too me a minute to find it on the balls that I have. I agree I was looking for the hex shape dimples but as you pointed out it does not. It looks to me like there are 3 different size dimples. The smallest looks like a pentagon because its surrounded by 5 dimples. The other dimples are surrounded by 6 so the take on the appearance of a hexagon.

Since we've been inundated with rain this week I have only been able to do a little chipping work. I did several different types of chip shots using my 54 and 58 degree Cleveland 588 wedges with the Project 5, Penta TP5, Hex Black and also a B330-S.

FEEL - To be perfectly honest, all 4 of these balls were very similar in feel off the clubface. If I had to choose I would say that the Project 5 and B330-S probably had the softest overall feel off the clubface but the difference was negligible.

SPIN - Here is where I noticed the biggest difference. The B330-S is a spin monster around the greens but surprisingly, the Project 5 was nearly identical in terms of how much it would check up.

When chipping to a flag 30 feet away with my 54 degree wedge I was able to move the ball probably 20-25 feet through the air and have it check and stop roughly pin high. I was only able to do this with the B330-S and the Project 5. The Penta TP5 and Hex Black had to be landed about 5-8 feet shorter to get to the same stopping point.

A second test, to a flag 10 feet away with my 58 degree wedge yielded similar results with the Project 5 and B330-S outperforming the Hex Black and Penta TP5 in terms of "stopping power".

And then it started to rain...... I think it's supposed to stop raining sometime Sunday. :crying:

Good stuff Rob! Everyday this week I get home to find no package waiting for me. Maybe today is the day, or maybe the mail people just really love golf.

Since we've been inundated with rain this week I have only been able to do a little chipping work. I did several different types of chip shots using my 54 and 58 degree Cleveland 588 wedges with the Project 5, Penta TP5, Hex Black and also a B330-S.

FEEL - To be perfectly honest, all 4 of these balls were very similar in feel off the clubface. If I had to choose I would say that the Project 5 and B330-S probably had the softest overall feel off the clubface but the difference was negligible.

SPIN - Here is where I noticed the biggest difference. The B330-S is a spin monster around the greens but surprisingly, the Project 5 was nearly identical in terms of how much it would check up.

When chipping to a flag 30 feet away with my 54 degree wedge I was able to move the ball probably 20-25 feet through the air and have it check and stop roughly pin high. I was only able to do this with the B330-S and the Project 5. The Penta TP5 and Hex Black had to be landed about 5-8 feet shorter to get to the same stopping point.

A second test, to a flag 10 feet away with my 58 degree wedge yielded similar results with the Project 5 and B330-S outperforming the Hex Black and Penta TP5 in terms of "stopping power".

And then it started to rain...... I think it's supposed to stop raining sometime Sunday. :crying:

Interesting that you saw a noticeable different between the Project 5 and the TP5. Makes me wonder where this ball is going to be on TMs list...

Interesting results, Rob. Also interested to see what you think of the Project 5 off of the tee and on approaches.

I found that the Project 5 had a little more spin than the B330s. I'll give the short game another round of testing this weekend to see if I get the same results.

I did not have a TP5 to compare, but I did find that the Hex Black felt surprisingly firm compared to the Project 5.

Sounds like they've got a great thing going with this new ball! Great work RR! We appreciate you putting in the work even when weather doesn't cooperate.

RoundersRob - just saw your photos, those are great man. I would have sworn it was a hex pattern if you had not posted those.

RR- Nice review. I like engineering point of view. It will certainly add something to the reviews. I need some "stopping power" around the greens for sure as I tend to over hit a bit.

The side spin scares me as I already run the risk of a snap hook from time to time.

As anyone tested this against the Nike 20xi ball (I know it is a controversial ball)? I have been playing a bit and am interested to hear the thoughts.

Interesting that you saw a noticeable different between the Project 5 and the TP5. Makes me wonder where this ball is going to be on TMs list...

This has been a lingering question for me.I dont know their plans, but it seems this is not a rebranded TP5 that is for sure.

Good thoughts so far guys

I am wondering if it will be a replacement for the TP5. Afterall, why make two different 5 piece balls when (at least from my POV) one of them is clearly designed better?

I am wondering if it will be a replacement for the TP5. Afterall, why make two different 5 piece balls when (at least from my POV) one of them is clearly designed better?

This is my guess as well. The Project 5 is TM's new tour-level ball that will replace the TP5.

You guys are doing great work so far.

You guys are doing great work so far.

You wouldn't happen to know the answer to the "is this the TP5 replacement ball" question would you?

You wouldn't happen to know the answer to the "is this the TP5 replacement ball" question would you?

I cannot comment on future releases. All we can do as of now is review the ball that is put in front of us. Truthfully it shouldn't matter right? If the job is to review the ball as it comes, should it matter if it is a new ball, a replacement to current line or something else?

I've been going through this thread and you testers are killing it, keep up the good work. I noticed rob that you said there was a slight difference than the tp5 in performance. How did you feel about that, was it a negative or positive difference that you noticed? Overall great info here

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

I cannot comment on future releases. All we can do as of now is review the ball that is put in front of us. Truthfully it shouldn't matter right? If the job is to review the ball as it comes, should it matter if it is a new ball, a replacement to current line or something else?

Nope - doesn't matter at all. Just curiosity more then anything else. :)

I've been going through this thread and you testers are killing it, keep up the good work. I noticed rob that you said there was a slight difference than the tp5 in performance. How did you feel about that, was it a negative or positive difference that you noticed? Overall great info here

I'll certainly need to play a round with each ball (or both balls on the same round, which is more likely) to really be able to make that determination. It's my first order of business once the rain stops, probably early next week. Of course, it'll be just my opinion based on what I look for in a ball which is a combination of feel at impact, spin off the woods and long irons as well as approach performance.

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk
That has me intrigued a bit too, Satchmo. I am going to grab a sleeve of TP5s and try them out together. I gamed the TP5s for a few rounds when they came out and didnt like them as much as the previous Penta, so will be interesting to compare the two together now.

As Rob has stated us Californians have been getting hit with rain this week. So I decided it was time to figure out a sure fire way to get some testing done. I contacted Trevor at GolfTec Santa Barbara(he's a contributor here in the Ask the Pro Section) and set up a ball fitting/driver fitting for Saturday Dec. 8th. Still a little ways out, but it should give me a good chance to get some hard numbers on how the ball performs. It will be good to meet Trevor and check out GolfTec, I know he is already jealous that I have Project 5's, maybe I can get him to take a few swings too to see how he likes them.

I still plan on getting out this weekend and it will be rain or shine.

As Rob has stated us Californians have been getting hit with rain this week. So I decided it was time to figure out a sure fire way to get some testing done. I contacted Trevor at GolfTec Santa Barbara(he's a contributor here in the Ask the Pro Section) and set up a ball fitting/driver fitting for Saturday Dec. 8th. Still a little ways out, but it should give me a good chance to get some hard numbers on how the ball performs. It will be good to meet Trevor and check out GolfTec, I know he is already jealous that I have Project 5's, maybe I can get him to take a few swings too to see how he likes them.

I still plan on getting out this weekend and it will be rain or shine.

I was at the local GolfSmith shop today getting a new grip on my putter and happened to have a couple of the Project 5 balls in my pocket so I jumped on their launch monitor while I was waiting. :)

Didn't have enough time to get any decent comparisons done and they were thinking it was a bit odd that I would hit one ball, pick it up and hit that same ball again and again when there were dozens of other balls laying around.

I must say that I do like the way the ball feels off the face of the 3 or 4 different drivers they had there. Can't wait to get it out to the course.

I received my Project 5 Balls today and will be putting them in play on Sunday . Saturday also if all goes well with the work load from this week. However it looks like work on saturday for me .I am excited to be teeing these balls up in the next couple days .

Back