TaylorMade R1 Black Driver Preview

Shoulda released one in red at the same time to piss Nike off.

I'm betting TM could give two craps about Nike and their Red based on sales.

Pretty happy this hit the market. I am one of the people that struggled with the white and in time I am sure I would have gotten used to it, but with so many choices now, it was something that made me say I dont have to get used to the white, I can pick something else.

Now it comes in a sleek black color that I think will do well with the marketing they put behind it. It has been a good driver in the past and still is, but I really liked the look out on the course today. The black on black graphics make it almost seamless and goes to show that as usual, early rumors and stuff on the internet are just usually that...

Stunning, loving the look of the black R1 :thumb:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369953136.187087.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369953148.837365.jpglooks pretty good.... Wasn't a fan of the regular one... I liked the AMP CELL driver better.

#FeelPlayer

That looks great

Sooooooo much better IMO. I like the black drivers better.

Still wont buy one because that thing will make me go deaf.

Yeah... regardless of your color preference, there's still that.

Ever since TaylorMade released their first white driver I haven't looked back. It just fits my eye and now I prefer the white drivers. But I will say this black R1 is very nice and great marketing from TaylorMade. This will be a big seller.

I like the graphics better in black than the original.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I like the look a lot better than the standard white r1, very interesting!

They should have released this first. The more I look at it the more awesome it looks.

Very pretty, probably looks great with the stock shaft, and shiny. So shiny...

I forgot what my point was, I'm easily distracted by shiny things.

Great looking stick!

I wish I could trade my 2 week old TP for this one! Love it!

The black looks better to me. This has popped up on the radar now along with the cleveland classic custom xl. Decisions decisions.

Regardless of the color it'll still sound like crap when you hit it. I'm sure that eventually they'll have a 'personalize your R1' ordering system where you can customize the colors. Monkey see monkey do.

I am surprised more people haven't said that. It is the best driver I have ever hit (using launch monitor stats) but I just don't think I can bring myself to deal with the sound. It literally would cause high frequency hearing loss. My left ear was ringing for a few mins after I had the first swing. Maybe I could carry a set of ear plugs and put them in each time I tee off :act-up:

Regarding the sound: it's truly hardly noticeable on the course.

Ball after ball on range or in a shop is a different story though.

Last edited:
Late to the thread, but the pics in the first post are amazing. Well done TaylorMade

Oh my! Just found this thread. That looks fantastic. TM is back to being relevant for me as I just refused to play a White head. I need to hit this

I can't look at a white clubhead. Period. Just how it is. All of my woods are black, always have been. If I could get black irons heads I'd get those, too (last time I was fitted the black options, like Cleveland, were not my best fit). The R1 was never even on my radar. Until now. In black I would consider it. White? Zero chance.

There goes all the room Callaway and Nike made up when TaylorMade went war paint. The fact that TaylorMade used the marketing plan of "well, they kept asking for it" is brilliant.

There goes all the room Callaway and Nike made up when TaylorMade went war paint. The fact that TaylorMade used the marketing plan of "well, they kept asking for it" is brilliant.

Not sure I agree really.
Other than the part of they had no choice, metal wood sales down 22% this year will create some urgency.

I really like the look of the R1 black! It's stealth. I can't wait to see one in person. I like TM products. But haven't played them in over a year almost 2 years.

Back