TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Just got back into golf after taking a 2.5 year break and all I have to say I love my TM R11's. I never considered myself a serious golfer in the past but after going to the range couple of time with my cousin's no name irons and drivers, i just got hooked back into golfing. I went to Rogerdunn & Golfsmith couple times a week for min 3 hrs to continue to test every iron and driver they had and all I had to say is the R11s just felt good in my hand. Also I never knew if I was Regular or Stiff Shaft kind of guy until I did more research and realized Stiff was for me and noticed better consistence in my Paths. I am hoping to test my Iron on a course very soon... Happy Hitting!

nice vids Tad... what distance was the 3 irons going? i havn't had a 3 iron in a couple years but i may knock a wedge out and add a 3 iron.

It was dark so I have no idea, it was flying the 175 marker and straight as could be with that tail at the end.

Just wanted to give a little update with some pics showing that my toe shots are getting better, moving more and more toward the center of the face compared to the first pic I posted days ago.

7Iron (Same Iron I Posted Days Ago Showing Toe Wear)
R11IronFaceWear7Iron2ndpic.jpg

R11IronFaceWear7Iron.jpg

8Iron Face, Still a little toward the toe but getting better
R118IronFaceWear.jpg

You may not want to hear this but these are not set right for your swing. They are trending a tad flat. Either a degree or 1/2.

You may not want to hear this but these are not set right for your swing. They are trending a tad flat. Either a degree or 1/2.

So I need to go even more upright then correct?

It was dark so I have no idea, it was flying the 175 marker and straight as could be with that tail at the end.

gotcha... i dunno what i wanna do just yet. see where my distances are after the winter and my lessons are done. def be keeping an eye on your progress with it. i loved hitting my old 3 but never needed it much and with the burners i never even bought one.

So I need to go even more upright then correct?

I hate to say it, but yes. Trying to adapt your swing will just drive you nuts. I would start with .5* first then hit. Each club will not be the same, so you should try to go to a place that will devote at least an hour so you can get each club correct.

I hate to say it, but yes. Trying to adapt your swing will just drive you nuts. I would start with .5* first then hit. Each club will not be the same, so you should try to go to a place that will devote at least an hour so you can get each club correct.

Will do, thanks Tadashi, I have been planning on getting together with my guy that does all my gripping and bending but he was on vacation last week so I will get ahold of him tomorrow and see if I can set this up for this Saturday. One thing I did notice was that when I dropped my hands very low and got the toe up in the air more I was hitting them better and in the center of the face so it makes sense they need to go a little more upright.

I had a fun and enjoyable round at the par 3 course today. I am really liking the AW as a club I use to chip with when close to the green and some short pitch shots, combine that with the success and confidence I already have from the XFT wedges and I am finding my short game is no longer a major problem and is quickly turning into a strength since I switched to :taylormade: irons and wedges

I had a fun and enjoyable round at the par 3 course today. I am really liking the AW as a club I use to chip with when close to the green and some short pitch shots, combine that with the success and confidence I already have from the XFT wedges and I am finding my short game is no longer a major problem and is quickly turning into a strength since I switched to :taylormade: irons and wedges

Thats great to hear Rhino! Having confidence in your short game is huge and I'm glad you have gotten there with the xft's and the AW R11. I have actually found that the AW is more versatile than I thought it to be initially as well, and have been using it around the green from time to time with great success.

Thats great to hear Rhino! Having confidence in your short game is huge and I'm glad you have gotten there with the xft's and the AW R11. I have actually found that the AW is more versatile than I thought it to be initially as well, and have been using it around the green from time to time with great success.

It feels so good CB!! You remember what a wreck I was at the last outing with my short game. Once I got to 100 yards I would panic inside and then usually screw up what was a good hole up to that point. Not any more!!! Now I know I still have a long way to go but I can't tell you how much better I feel about my game overall.

Thats great to hear WR! By the sounds of things I might need to add the R11 AW to my arsenal.

Thats great to hear WR! By the sounds of things I might need to add the R11 AW to my arsenal.

If the xft 50* works for you then you really do not need both clubs. I know TC mentioned he had the same kinda success using the PW from the R11s. Maybe try both options first.

If the xft 50* works for you then you really do not need both clubs. I know TC mentioned he had the same kinda success using the PW from the R11s. Maybe try both options first.

Funny you mention it, the first time using my R11 PW for chipping off the green (Saturday) I chipped in for birdie. It was as perfect of a chip as I have hit in a long time.

Funny you mention it, the first time using my R11 PW for chipping off the green (Saturday) I chipped in for birdie. It was as perfect of a chip as I have hit in a long time.

Well there you go.. stick with the PW then and use the xft wedge. Save yourself the $$$ and use it to buy another driver..LOL

Well there you go.. stick with the PW then and use the xft wedge. Save yourself the $$$ and use it to buy another driver..LOL

I am def going to put in some time over winter practiving with the PW chipping and to the bolded that made me lol.

well been out the last 2 days and shot a 79 and 76 but im struggling with my irons at the minute,4 and 5 and 6 iron and even my 7 sometimes,coming to these kbs shafts at 90 grammes its taking me a bit getting use to the lighter weight,im trying to hit them to hard like my old DGS300s which by the way were not the right shaft for me just what came in the irons, even though i know my swing should be nice and smooth im lashing at the ball,bit frustrating but will keep at it and even the red bolt is starting to look nice to me,ive still got a lesson to take might go and see what the local pro has to say about my swing,will update as i go on

well been out the last 2 days and shot a 79 and 76 but im struggling with my irons at the minute,4 and 5 and 6 iron and even my 7 sometimes,coming to these kbs shafts at 90 grammes its taking me a bit getting use to the lighter weight,im trying to hit them to hard like my old DGS300s which by the way were not the right shaft for me just what came in the irons, even though i know my swing should be nice and smooth im lashing at the ball,bit frustrating but will keep at it and even the red bolt is starting to look nice to me,ive still got a lesson to take might go and see what the local pro has to say about my swing,will update as i go on

Nice shooting Homesy! That is 2 great scores IMO. I know what you mean about wanting to swing harder with the lighter weight shafts, I also came from DG S300 at around 120grams so it is taking a little bit of getting use to.

Since Sunday and Monday is the days off for the guy that does all my club work I will be getting ahold of him tomorrow about getting these adjusted over the weekend. I cant wait to see exactly how much more upright they need to go.

Homey those are good scores with struggles. Jut wait til you get them dialed in. Btw the kbs90s are actually about 110grams

Homey those are good scores with struggles. Jut wait til you get them dialed in. Btw the kbs90s are actually about 110grams

I was looking for that info on the KBS website and couldnt find it, thanks Tadashi.

On the web site it says 95-102 grams:

[h=2]Tapered Tip Specs[/h]
Regular95g.355" taper.600"discrete2.552%mid-highn/aChrome
Stiff102g.355" taper.600"discrete2.352%mid-highn/aChrome

Shaft TypeWt.Tip OD.Butt OD.Length*TorqueBalance PointBall FlightFrequencyFinish
[h=2]Parallel Tip Specs[/h]
Regular101g.370" parallel.600"41.25" blank2.552%see trim12"Chrome
Stiff102g.370" parallel.600"41.25" blank2.352%see trim9"Chrome

Shaft TypeWt.Tip OD.Butt OD.Length*TorqueBalance PointBall FlightPT LengthFinish

On the web site it says 95-102 grams:

Tapered Tip Specs

Regular
95g
.355" taper
.600"
discrete
52%
mid-high
n/a
Chrome
Stiff
102g
.355" taper
.600"
discrete
52%
mid-high
n/a
Chrome

Parallel Tip Specs

Regular
101g
.370" parallel
.600"
41.25" blank
52%
see trim
12"
Chrome
Stiff
102g
.370" parallel
.600"
41.25" blank
52%
see trim
9"
Chrome

WR bringing the specs! So its between 90-110 lol.

WR bringing the specs! So its between 90-110 lol.

it is all there.. when you get to the web site pic the shaft under products of the upper left then one the shaft you want is loaded about half way down there is a tab in the middle labeled specifications and it is all there.

Had a lesson today at golftec and although we worked on a lot of stuff today without me hitting any balls during my lesson. i did warm up for a good half hour before hand, i like to get there early just to practice more. i really was reminded today about how great the feel in these clubs is. I love the feel of a great shot its something you can strive for just the feel and you know as soon as the ball is leaving the face that you really hit that one great. i don't think i have ever had a set of irons that felt so good when you hit a nice shot.... now that being said ive always had more of a GI iron before these but its just another thing that i like about these irons over the other ones ive hit. just something quick i wanted to type up after today since i won't be getting out for another couple days due to the snow. hopefully playing next week with my instructor after my lesson... weather permitting.

thanks for all the replies,i thought they were 90 grams but guess not but do feel a lot lighter,the short irons are really nice and this is what is keeping me shooting half decent scores when im going of line with the other irons,but i wont let them get to me will keep going and will get there in the end,thanks for the link to the shaft weights guess the more i play i will get use to them,hit some really nice shoots yesterday and felt great of the face when i slowed my swing down but like its been said i feel i am going at them to hard,will keep updating as i go

Well, yesterday was just a plain awful range session for me. I hit some quality golf shots but it wasn't a positive range experience at all. It was one of those times when I really didn't want to be out there but I was still out there. I made some good swings, and I made some terrible swings. I felt like I was quick and out of sorts for the bulk of my range session. When I get quick with these irons, I see a lot of thin shots. Not worm burner thin, but more of a mid launch, hit and scoot type of shot. I wasn't fond of them at all. Boy, these irons sure do reward a grooved golf swing though. I didn't have them near as often as I have been but they were a lovely and welcomed shot when I got them yesterday.

Back