TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Hi, this is Kenny i believe you were the guy at the range this evening. If so thank you for introducing me to THP. I joined as a member tonight. I look forward to seeing your videos.

Hi, this is Kenny i believe you were the guy at the range this evening. If so thank you for introducing me to THP. I joined as a member tonight. I look forward to seeing your videos.

Nice, it was great speaking to you at the range. I'll be loading the video in the AM.

Hey Kenny welcome to THP

Welcome to THP Kenny, glad to have you aboard. Nice going Tadashi, always looking to add new members.

Hi Kenny, welcome to THP!!! THere is a "Check-In" thread out there, you might want to post there to say hello to everyone.

I am going out this morning to a 18 hole par 3 course to get practice with the scoring irons. Looking forward to seeing good results from my ever improving short game (<100 yards).

Hi Kenny, welcome to THP!!! THere is a "Check-In" thread out there, you might want to post there to say hello to everyone.

I am going out this morning to a 18 hole par 3 course to get practice with the scoring irons. Looking forward to seeing good results from my ever improving short game (<100 yards).

Good luck out there. If you get bored hitting the scoring irons try hitting the 4 iron or 5 iron on a few holes. :alien:

I just picked a set of these off the bay. I can't wait to get them in next week. I have progressed from the R9s to some R9 TPs to these. I think they are going to be really good for my game since I am used to the style of club already. I am really looking forward to the length gain from them. I think it will be really nice hitting a 8 iron in from 150 out. I went with the normal KBS shafts in stiff. I found a deal on a 3-PW set and just order an AW from GG. Once I get them in I will tag on with the testers with my thoughts and successes.

Good luck out there. If you get bored hitting the scoring irons try hitting the 4 iron or 5 iron on a few holes. :alien:

I don't have a 4 or 5 iron, the longest hole is 140, maybe I should leave the driver in the bag just in case. :clown:

I just picked a set of these off the bay. I can't wait to get them in next week. I have progressed from the R9s to some R9 TPs to these. I think they are going to be really good for my game since I am used to the style of club already. I am really looking forward to the length gain from them. I think it will be really nice hitting a 8 iron in from 150 out. I went with the normal KBS shafts in stiff. I found a deal on a 3-PW set and just order an AW from GG. Once I get them in I will tag on with the testers with my thoughts and successes.

Congrats on the purchase DMB!! I am sure you will enjoy your new irons!!!

Thats awesome man. Congrats on the OEM! You have successfully gone from coolbreezing, to hawkpondering to OEM'ing them. Not many make it through all those steps. I think you will see more distance with added forgiveness. Win win! Look forward to your thoughts when you get them.

I knew you were going to pull the trigger. I really think you're going to like them. One thing i'm looking forward to from you is going from S300's to the KBS 90's.

Congrats on the purchase DMB!! I am sure you will enjoy your new irons!!!

Thanks man, I am excited.

Thats awesome man. Congrats on the OEM! You have successfully gone from coolbreezing, to hawkpondering to OEM'ing them. Not many make it through all those steps. I think you will see more distance with added forgiveness. Win win! Look forward to your thoughts when you get them.

Yeah I am one of the slowest OEMers. HAHA. The distance is the most exciting part to me, but I know they will surprise me with more things.

I knew you were going to pull the trigger. I really think you're going to like them. One thing i'm looking forward to from you is going from S300's to the KBS 90's.

I am very interest in this too. I almost wanted to go with a S300 in them, but so many of you guys talked about how your ball flights were not that high with them. I went to the S300s due to a high ball flight with the R9s and I hope that is not the case with the R11s. I think the newer KBS 90s are suppose to be a little bit lower flight than the older ones, so that is why I went with that shaft.

I still have the stock grips. I'm cheap. I'll use them until they need replacing. I'm red/green color blind but I'm probably going to put the red vdr's on next. I imagine it would look nice.

Do you think you will go with a Mid-Size on your next grip? I think I remember you saying that at one time.

October 29, 2011
Bad Dog Driving Range
10-15mph breeze out of the east
R11 testing 3-AW

We have all heard of the 7 year itch, well I had the seven day itch. I needed to get out to the range and swing the R11s. It had been a week since I swung the clubs because of a heavy week at work (this is a good thing for the family), bad for the golf clubs. Anyway....I took now warm up swings I just got into it.
I started with the AW and moved through the bag. I really concentrated in keep the the club out on front of me so that I could make some clean passes through the impact area. The weight of the clubs really allows this to happen.
When I say out in front of me, I am talking about keep the club in front of of my body and not behind it at any point in my swing. This would allow me to set and release the club properly without trying to catch up with a flip of the hands or hang back so the club could get through the hitting zone. Mission accomplished, the clubs were firing down the line through out the entire bucket of balls. My misses were very easy to pick out cuz I knew where the club was through out my swing.
This range session was the first time in a long time that I did not hit a pull. Out of 60 or so balls this is pretty good for me.
From the first swing I could feel exactly where each ball was coming off the face. Not everyone was center cut but close enough as to know have any significant performance lose. From the AW to the 3i I was producing a high piercing ball flight that was not affected by the wind in any way, I mean these balls took to flight like a Topgun takes off on the USS Kickbutt. That oh so familiar ball flight that I have come to love. That consistent click of the ball off the club face. The feel of solidly struck golf balls soaring into the night sky. I am no longer surprised by the consistent shot shape or grouping with these clubs. I have no complaints when it comes to the R11s....well one, better stock grips. With all the great grips on the market the Tour Velvet would be my last choice. In terms on of an over all club they get an A- only cuz the grips, IMO.
I have to comment on the newest member to the R11 family, my 3i. Yep I now have a complete set of long irons. I stopped hitting my 3i in my previous set due to low ball flight. I only pulled it out on courses that were not protected from the wind. The R11 3i will be a permanent resident of the Kong golf bag. I took a few cuts and got them on video. The flight was a mid ball with a slight right to left at the end just before it hit the ground. I marveled at how fast the ball got out of my area and into this right to left breeze. I have never swung a 3i that felt this good in my golfing career. I actually will be look to for places to play in the near future so I can give it a real test.
I also put the graphite and kbs90 in ahead to head 6i swing off. As I stated in an earlier post the clubs perform well and are pretty much a dead on comparison. They do differ in weight distribution through out the club, more evenly weighted in the graphite offering and more a head weight in the kbs90. I have come to really enjoy the way the KBS 90s feel and respond but if I was told I had to play graphites I would not be hating the R11s with graphite. I don't know if it was just last nights swings or if this going to a be trend but I did feel the KBS 90 offering of the R11 was more explosive. They both have this factor but it just seemed be greater with the steel vs the graphite.
Finally I met Kenny, who joined THP lasts night after a few swings with the R11 8 iron. I also have him on video. Kenny explains what he currently plays in the video so I won't get into the details. But I will say that there was a marked improvement between his current set and the 5 swings he took with the 8i out of my set. Kenny plays with an open setup at address and sucks the club to the inside which produced this nice mid flight draw. Not a Bubba Watson special but just a going right to left. The height was there and know the spin would be there with some of the swings he made.

Last edited:
These are top of the list in my iron pondering

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP Kenny. Nice videos Tadashi70 I'm loving those Irons.

good pick up dmb!

These are top of the list in my iron pondering

Join the club man. I just did.

Tapatalkin

Join the club man. I just did.

Tapatalkin

Oh snap..where did you get yours

An the revolution continues, this is great new dmb! Nice progression through the TM R lines. Enjoy!!!

Just a few notes from my round yesterday...temps in the 50s and 20 to 25 mph winds out of the north. Basically added two clubs into the wind...highlights...best 4i of my life...210 yds, 12 ft from pin...just pured it...also much better chipping with the AW and 8i...within 2 to4 ft. Overall hit a lot of good irons but hit a few fat and a few thin...operator error. Overall, can't imagine a better fit for my game.

nice vids Tad... what distance was the 3 irons going? i havn't had a 3 iron in a couple years but i may knock a wedge out and add a 3 iron.

Just wanted to give a little update with some pics showing that my toe shots are getting better, moving more and more toward the center of the face compared to the first pic I posted days ago.

7Iron (Same Iron I Posted Days Ago Showing Toe Wear)
R11IronFaceWear7Iron2ndpic.jpg

R11IronFaceWear7Iron.jpg

8Iron Face, Still a little toward the toe but getting better
R118IronFaceWear.jpg

Back