TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Gill glad to have you back. Sorry for the mix up at the old big box store, but it seems it has been worked out. Getting your distances dialed in will be key with these irons and will take a bit of time if you are not used to hitting it deep. But once you realize that you picked up 5- 10 yards you will be good to go. Congrats on the two recognitions and keep it up. Looking forward to hearing more about adventures with the R11s

just the same setup, yes i was fit for them, i was pretty much standard for them so the standard set was fine, the length & lie was bang on for me and the fitter recommend the standard k90 shaft. I think i was just having a bad day as i am usully consistent with them, but yesterday i was hitting them to the left then to the right then topping the ball. Will go back tonight to see if i am any better.

Ok, sounds like a lack-luster day that we all get from time to time. You'll get it back and feel that forgiveness once again.

chas its probably just one of those days we all get them just get back out and forget about it and nice right up Tadashi that AW is going to end up in my bag now,

Loved the descriptions of your shots from that range session, Tadashi. I used to carry GW from an irons set and a blade wedge of comparable loft too. I thought it was nice to have both for the different things they offered.

Loved the descriptions of your shots from that range session, Tadashi. I used to carry GW from an irons set and a blade wedge of comparable loft too. I thought it was nice to have both for the different things they offered.

Thanks hawk its a nice problem to have.

Little update

Course: Cinnarbar Hills

Due to crazy work schedules, have not been able to practice or play in quite a while, so I made it a priority to finally go out and play yesterday, before the rain starts....
It was beautiful day but my score was not thanks to the flat stick - that is for another thread, though....
I had 13 GIRs which is about 3-4 more than my usual and it is totally due to the R11s. It felt like I was playing a different game from tee to green, full of confidence and once the ball hits the green, it now sticks! I would always see at least 2-3 approach shots roll off the green but none today. Instead, I did overshoot the green twice, but I quickly adjusted afterwards.

Couple R11 shots that stood out for me:

6i tee shot on a par 3, 174 to the pin and headwind. Hit one smooth, saw the ball mark about 4 yds off the pin right online. However, the unthinkable happened, the ball rolled backwards(backspin!) about 5 yards, granted it was a slight down slope but I never had this happen to me.

PW tee shot on another par 3, 136 yds downhill but with strong head wind. I used to hit 9i here because of the wind. Grabbed the PW, flighted it a little low, right on target I thought but completely flew the green and into a bunker. It seemed the wind did not affect the ball flight at all. The guys I was playing with probably thought I was crazy because I was giggling after putting the ball in a bunker.

7i in the rough 145yds out. Pulled(and hooked) my driver for a spectacular banana shot off the tee and ended up in some pretty deep rough down hill lie behind a low hanging branch. Thought about pulling 6 iron because of the lie, but decided to hit 7i. The club cut through the grass as if it was nothing, hit a beautiful shot that also flew the hole into a bunker behind the green. Honestly, never been so happy about dropping balls in a bunker before.

I had a chance to use all my irons except the 8i and 9i and only had one thin shot with a 6i - very playable, everything else was almost automatic with a nice smooth swing. It was my first validation of the clubs on a course and needless to say I am very happy.

Hey everybody just a little update, I just got back from my guys shop and what a shocker it was! They actually needed to go 1* flat from where they were, TM shipped them right at 3* upright and I ordered 2* upright. I can def say that after we bent the 7 iron and I started hitting with it and had the impact tape on the face I was making contact pretty much dead center and they felt great, just such a relief getting this issue fixed and I cant wait to pick them up tomorrow and hit the range!

Hey everybody just a little update, I just got back from my guys shop and what a shocker it was! They actually needed to go 1* flat from where they were, TM shipped them right at 3* upright and I ordered 2* upright. I can def say that after we bent the 7 iron and I started hitting with it and had the impact tape on the face I was making contact pretty much dead center and they felt great, just such a relief getting this issue fixed and I cant wait to pick them up tomorrow and hit the range!

wonder if taylormade will pay your costs for messing ur your order?

wonder if taylormade will pay your costs for messing ur your order?

To be honest I am not to worried about it, its only 25 bucks to have them bent. Kinda sucks but these kind of things happen

To be honest I am not to worried about it, its only 25 bucks to have them bent. Kinda sucks but these kind of things happen
10YD, I'm so glad you got to the bottom of the problem. I was gettin' kinda worried about this situation. Now maybe some of the great things we've discussed here will happen for you as well.

10YD, I'm so glad you got to the bottom of the problem. I was gettin' kinda worried about this situation. Now maybe some of the great things we've discussed here will happen for you as well.

Me too 2Shoes, I am really excited to get to the range tomorrow and see how it goes.

Can't wait to start reading the positive writeups from you dude. It's funny how just a little bit off in terms of lie can make that big a difference

Can't wait to start reading the positive writeups from you dude. It's funny how just a little bit off in terms of lie can make that big a difference

lol it is crazy chunky, I am tired of being the debby downer in this thread as well.

Ok, got through the first 35 pages and then went to the last 10 pages. Couldn't get through all 113 before I just had to ask this question:

I have the TM MC's, and it seems like the R11 irons are more like the MC's than the MB's or CB's. For those that maybe had to pleasure of hitting the MC's before, how do you compare the MC's and the R11 irons?

If they are different than the MC's, could you explain in what ways?

Thanks ahead of time! From what I've seen, great feedback from the testers on these clubs. But then again.....it is Taylor Made.

Ok, got through the first 35 pages and then went to the last 10 pages. Couldn't get through all 113 before I just had to ask this question:

I have the TM MC's, and it seems like the R11 irons are more like the MC's than the MB's or CB's. For those that maybe had to pleasure of hitting the MC's before, how do you compare the MC's and the R11 irons?

Thanks ahead of time! From what I've seen, great feedback from the testers on these clubs. But then again.....it is Taylor Made.

Nathaniel, I've never hit the MC's, but I have spent a lot of time with the R9 TP's, which the R11's remind me of in shape, size, and at address. For me, there's no comparison. The R11's are longer, are way more forgiving, thus making me much more consistent with them.

I wish I could offer more, but all I can say, is since having these irons I've played 7 rounds of golf. Since then, I'm averaging 12.57 GIR's per round. That's almost 3 more GIR's per round than I was previously averaging.

Nathaniel, I've never hit the MC's, but I have spent a lot of time with the R9 TP's, which the R11's remind me of in shape, size, and at address. For me, there's no comparison. The R11's are longer, are way more forgiving, thus making me much more consistent with them.

I wish I could offer more, but all I can say, is since having these irons I've played 7 rounds of golf. Since then, I'm averaging 12.57 GIR's per round. That's almost 3 more GIR's per round than I was previously averaging.

That is a pretty telling stat TC. Confidence is everything

Hey Nate,

I will have the MC and the R11s side by side this weekend. I will make sure I hit both for you to compare. I will even get SethO to do the same for you.

Sorry Nate, never hit the MCs.

Hey Nate,

I will have the MC and the R11s side by side this weekend. I will make sure I hit both for you to compare. I will even get SethO to do the same for you.
That would be great!

I ordered my grips in std with 2 wraps. They put midsize from 4-7 and std 8-aw. I was dissapointed, but I'm not sending them back. I'll get it taken care of when the white Lamkin cords or the white and red new decades are released. Glad to hear you got your irons straightened out. This should help your scores just knowing they are right now when u set up to the ball.

Glad to hear you got your irons straightened out. This should help your scores just knowing they are right now when u set up to the ball.
Agreed 10Yard, I think you have lbs. more confidence at address now that you can take a ton of concerns out of your head each time you pull a club from the bag. Sorry you had to go through that, I couldn't imagine getting a new set of sticks and struggling with them, always knowing in the back of your head something was wrong with the club set up. Must have been very frustrating.

I just wanted to take a minute to thank all the official & unofficial reviewers for continuing to provide open feedback and answering all our questions on this set. These were probably one of the more anticipated iron sets of the year and we're fortunate enough that TaylorMade trusted THP members to provide feedback. Thanks again guys...

well got out to play 18 and have to say these are just getting better and better for me,i feel really confident over them and i know they are going to go roughly were i point them well 99% of the time lol,one of the best things i think is im a sweeper and even if you thin them which i do sometimes they still get up there and stay on line,but still need to keep telling myself to slow my swing down sometimes,but cant fault them at all,and 10yards glad you got your irons sorted now enjoy them

Back