TaylorMade Releases RocketBallz RBZ Driver & Tour Driver

Just left GG after hitting both the RBZ driver and the R11s. Can't say I was blown away by the RBZ driver but my driver swing isn't the best right now either. They were telling me the 3W is the big push this time. They're going to be doing a promotion where you bring your 3W in and hit it against the RBZ 3W and they will give you free RBZ balls for every yard up to 12 that the RBZ is longer. I'd like to hit this driver outside to get a better idea of how it hits. THP demo day.

Beast mode from tapatalk

Just left GG after hitting both the RBZ driver and the R11s. Can't say I was blown away by the RBZ driver but my driver swing isn't the best right now either. They were telling me the 3W is the big push this time. They're going to be doing a promotion where you bring your 3W in and hit it against the RBZ 3W and they will give you free RBZ balls for every hard up to 12 that the RBZ is longer. I'd like to hit this driver outside to get a better idea of how it hits. THP demo day.

Beast mode from tapatalk

How far were you hitting the RBZ driver?

Just left GG after hitting both the RBZ driver and the R11s. Can't say I was blown away by the RBZ driver but my driver swing isn't the best right now either. They were telling me the 3W is the big push this time. They're going to be doing a promotion where you bring your 3W in and hit it against the RBZ 3W and they will give you free RBZ balls for every yard up to 12 that the RBZ is longer. I'd like to hit this driver outside to get a better idea of how it hits. THP demo day.

Beast mode from tapatalk

So if the RBZ 3W is longer than your current 3W you get a free RBZ ball per yard? sounds like a great way to test the distance claims, and maybe get a few RBZ balls to try out...

I think one of the smartest things that TM did was make the adapters starting with the R9 series fit into all of the adjustable driver heads that came after that. It makes their drivers the easiest ones out there to compare shafts with because it's so easy to swap those shafts into the adjustable heads. I would think that fact alone would lead some people to play TM drivers over other companies.

I know that this is a big factor for me since I've got three or four driver shafts at this point with the TM adapter on them.

I really hoped I would see one out today, but neither the PGA Superstore nor the Golfsmith I was in had any to be seen...oh well, have to wait a couple weeks.

Posted this in the Equipment Pondering thread but thought I'd update here as well.

Alright here are my thoughts on the RBZ driver and 3 wood.

The driver felt nice, but the shaft was definitely NOT for me. My launch angle was 20.6* and my spin was over 4300 rpm's. Definitely too high on both. Because of that I didn't see any gain in distance whatsoever. From address it looked good and it felt extremely light to me. Not sure if that is a good thing or not; just different as I am used to a tad heavier feel. If I would have had the chance to demo multiple shafts I am confident I could have found one that worked for me in that head. Here is my attached screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The 3 wood felt incredible. Much like the R11 in terms of feel. It looked great at address and man, that thing was LONG. My last two were over 290 yards. My current 3 wood is in the neighborhood of 270-275 so I feel like the distance claims are accurate, at least for me. I only tried it with the stock stiff shaft so no idea if any others would have worked as well. Here are the screenshots I took with my phone from my last 2 shots:

I wish I would have had the chance to demo the hybrids but they weren't available. Overall I think they will be a successful line for TM, but some people may need a different shaft other than the stock offering to make the head work for them (as with all clubs, really).

Just wanted to add that I also got really high spin numbers with the driver, so that's interesting that that's two of us so far.

Wonder if this is a high-spin head, or if the shaft is generating a bit of it. High spin doesn't mix with my swing...I'm really liking my choice of driver at the moment, but still interested in the RBZ 3W. Will definitely go to my GG and hit this, however, just because I'm curious.

Let me start off by saying I'm taking lessons because my swing got so bad I had started popping up my drives with very little distance. So that being said what i saw with the RBZ driver only made it worse. They didn't have it set up for me to get numbers off of but I was hitting huge sky balls and right too. Sort of felt like the SF 2.0 to me. Loud but looks better at address. Can't say I loved the shaft either. Seemed to be very high launching. If I had to pick right now I'd take the R11S for the RIP Phenom shaft.

Beast mode from tapatalk

Posted this in the Equipment Pondering thread but thought I'd update here as well.

Alright here are my thoughts on the RBZ driver and 3 wood.

The driver felt nice, but the shaft was definitely NOT for me. My launch angle was 20.6* and my spin was over 4300 rpm's. Definitely too high on both. Because of that I didn't see any gain in distance whatsoever. From address it looked good and it felt extremely light to me. Not sure if that is a good thing or not; just different as I am used to a tad heavier feel. If I would have had the chance to demo multiple shafts I am confident I could have found one that worked for me in that head. Here is my attached screenshot:

The 3 wood felt incredible. Much like the R11 in terms of feel. It looked great at address and man, that thing was LONG. My last two were over 290 yards. My current 3 wood is in the neighborhood of 270-275 so I feel like the distance claims are accurate, at least for me. I only tried it with the stock stiff shaft so no idea if any others would have worked as well. Here are the screenshots I took with my phone from my last 2 shots:

I wish I would have had the chance to demo the hybrids but they weren't available. Overall I think they will be a successful line for TM, but some people may need a different shaft other than the stock offering to make the head work for them (as with all clubs, really).

Holy 290 with a 3 wood! That is impressive!!!

Let me start off by saying I'm taking lessons because my swing got so bad I had started popping up my drives with very little distance. So that being said what i saw with the RBZ driver only made it worse. They didn't have it set up for me to get numbers off of but I was hitting huge sky balls and right too. Sort of felt like the SF 2.0 to me. Loud but looks better at address. Can't say I loved the shaft either. Seemed to be very high launching. If I had to pick right now I'd take the R11S for the RIP Phenom shaft.

Beast mode from tapatalk

I wish I would have gotten the chance to test the R11S but they didn't have one available. I liked the RBZ much better than the SF 2.0 as far as feel and looks go. I've read a lot of reviews from people saying that the RBZ is extremely loud, but I honestly didn't notice it being any louder than any other drivers I've hit. I was concentrating on making good contact and on the numbers on the screen though, so that may have had something to do with it.

Has anyone been able to compare it to the superfast 2.0 yet? If so any extra distance? I'm going to upgrade drivers this year sometime and if the difference is huge I may have a closer look at the RBZ driver. Pretty sure I'm going to go with the RBZ hybrid though.

Holy 290 with a 3 wood! That is impressive!!!

It's definitely a great club IMO. I think I made a mistake by purchasing an R11 T3w and 4w a few days ago... Wonder if I can resell for what I paid? haha

Have you seen this one yet? Yes he had been playing an older club but this guy picked up 37 yards with the RBZ 3 wood. 37 yards is 37 yards!

http://youtu.be/S9f171vaRh0

Have you seen this one yet? Yes he had been playing an older club but this guy picked up 37 yards with the RBZ 3 wood. 37 yards is 37 yards!

http://youtu.be/S9f171vaRh0

That's funny. Nice find. But it does say that the 3W would add yardage for "better players" I wonder if my 20 handicap will hinder me with said added yardage.

Has anyone been able to compare it to the superfast 2.0 yet? If so any extra distance? I'm going to upgrade drivers this year sometime and if the difference is huge I may have a closer look at the RBZ driver. Pretty sure I'm going to go with the RBZ hybrid though.

I too would like to know this. However, if it's louder than the 2.0, I don't think that will sell me.

I don't understand how the whole "better players" mantra works. Do they assume better players will swing faster, and therefore generate more SS and yardage? Or is it assumed that better players will hit the sweet spot more often and therefore gain additional yardage by doing so?

That concept confuses me. I gained yardage and I am by no means a tour pro. I don't even play competitively except for the few tournaments we have in this area.

Yes, would be nice to see what they mean by "Better Players".
Is that:
1. Pros
2. Scratch
3. 5 hdp and above
4. 10 hdp and above

Where does "Better Player" end?

By the way Schweitzer, those numbers on the 3 wood are really impressive.... a 1.46 smash factor on your last 3 wood is scary good. My lord, if these numbers are legit, who needs a driver?

I think you guys are taking this a little too seriously. It's an ad campaign. It has already served its purpose. People are talking about it all over the place, including this forum. People remember what they hear and read and most will want to at least try it.

By the way Schweitzer, those numbers on the 3 wood are really impressive.... a 1.46 smash factor on your last 3 wood is scary good. My lord, if these numbers are legit, who needs a driver?

Exactly! If people can expect these kid of results out of 3 wood, it really does beg that question. And one has to wonder if TM has even taken that into account. Not saying they would make a 3 wood that would out perform a driver, but if you can get it close and have more control.... I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but...

I think you guys are taking this a little too seriously. It's an ad campaign. It has already served its purpose. People are talking about it all over the place, including this forum. People remember what they hear and read and most will want to at least try it.

There have been a couple on course reviews with this club though that tend to back up the smoke behind the fire though. It's not all total bunk.

There have been a couple on course reviews with this club though that tend to back up the smoke behind the fire though. It's not all total bunk.

I don't disagree. I have hit the driver and loved it. What I was getting at was the cut off of what is considered a good player. If anyone sees a club that claims 17 more yards for "good players", they will automatically be curious as to what the club can do for them. I don't think that they are really concerned if they are considered a "good player" or not, whatever that is.

If I can honestly achieve 290 with a 3 wood, then I will not be bagging a driver. In the position that I am in, I need to be fit for a driver and a shaft in order to see any type of distance (way too much spin and launch on most drivers). That can cost quite a bit of money, especially when you get into after-market shafts, low spin driver heads, etc.

If I can consistently hit the fairway with a 3w and hit it that far, I would much rather do that and carry an extra wedge/hybrid/etc.

All that being said, I want to see the results of the RBZ outside so that I can accurately measure distance and dispersion with my own eyes. Call me skeptical, but that distance seems crazy.

I don't disagree. I have hit the driver and loved it. What I was getting at was the cut off of what is considered a good player. If anyone sees a club that claims 17 more yards for "good players", they will automatically be curious as to what the club can do for them. I don't think that they are really concerned if they are considered a "good player" or not, whatever that is.

Ahh I gotcha. Yeah the good player wording is a little odd. The distance gains people are getting are going to help every level of golfer, not just the good player.

If I can honestly achieve 290 with a 3 wood, then I will not be bagging a driver. In the position that I am in, I need to be fit for a driver and a shaft in order to see any type of distance (way too much spin and launch on most drivers). That can cost quite a bit of money, especially when you get into after-market shafts, low spin driver heads, etc.

If I can consistently hit the fairway with a 3w and hit it that far, I would much rather do that and carry an extra wedge/hybrid/etc.

All that being said, I want to see the results of the RBZ outside so that I can accurately measure distance and dispersion with my own eyes. Call me skeptical, but that distance seems crazy.

If you can do that with the 3 wood, what do you think you could do with the driver? 290 yards in the fairway with a wedge or 340 yards around the green chipping/pitching.

Back