TaylorMade SLDR Fairway Wood Preview

Those pictures look awesome. I'm intrigued.

Will certainly hit this

I don't know what I'm doing with my 3 wood spot next season but my current RBZ 3 wood most likely won't be in the bag next season. Will definitely be giving this FW some swings. Really hoping to find a a fairway finder for next season.

Sooooooo....did this get hit today? :alien:

Sooooooo....did this get hit today? :alien:

Not often. I hit it on the range. I can say that it will get some more time, but early impressions are it will work for a lot of people, I am just not one of them. I love the look of it though.

Not often. I hit it on the range. I can say that it will get some more time, but early impressions are it will work for a lot of people, I am just not one of them. I love the look of it though.

Gracias good sir.

I agree on the looks, I think they nailed it with the whole SLDR line in that department though.

Gracias good sir.

I agree on the looks, I think they nailed it with the whole SLDR line in that department though.
I hit it a few times, most on the range and once off the deck during the round. I knew it was going to go left/right, and it went left/right. Left me to the right of the green.

It was decent, nothing mind blowing by any means.

I like the looks of this. Seems like they've got a really good design looks wise in the SLDR line for sure.

A low spin fairway wood doesn't really appeal to me but I will say that they nailed the looks of this thing and I think that will be a good shaft pairing. What a pretty club!

Looks sweet. Excited to see some number comparisons from one 3 wood to the next.

i like it a lot better than anything since the r9 which I feel it strongly resembles. Solid feel in terms of sound and feel off the club face. The sticking point is pricing of the tp may be a touch high when there are many solid offerings out there like the 913 series and xhot. Still going in my bag in less than a month.

Very curious to see how the more forward CG in the fairway wood plays out. TM released their info onto their site today and they talk about it being like the driver with players moving to a higher loft.

Very curious to see how the more forward CG in the fairway wood plays out. TM released their info onto their site today and they talk about it being like the driver with players moving to a higher loft.
Sounds like the makeup of a club I have in my bag

Saw a short video on one of the golf shop websites over here at lunchtime and Luke Donald seems to be impressed with it - his previous ball speed with a 3W was apparently around 160-161 mph but with the SLDR he was adding another 5mph to that, and he had been hitting some 3W shots out over 300yds

He also commented on how the smaller profile helped when hitting from the fairway

The video stated that the new speed pocket increases speed and has reduced spin....could be interesting to give it a try

Hmmm a 4 wood could be interesting.

Hmmm a 4 wood could be interesting.
e

I struggle with a 3 wood of the deck, so much so I only use a 5 wood at the moment, I am seriously think of getting a high launch 3 wood and setting it to the highest setting to help me get it up in the air and playing a 3 wood with a 5 wood loft.

If the low spin is for real I doubt I'd have much success with anything less than a 5W. Just a guess though.

If the low spin is for real I doubt I'd have much success with anything less than a 5W. Just a guess though.

This is something that is firmly in my head right now as well, but, I do look forward to finding out.

Just when I thought my 3 wood pondering/purchasing adventures were over this thing comes along.

Looks like you can adjust up to 1.5° up though, so really you're approaching 4W territory with a 3w there.

Looks like you can adjust up to 1.5° up though, so really you're approaching 4W territory with a 3w there.

I was just thinking about this exact thing, and with TM already talking about their tour players going up in loft that could be a very good ability to have, definitely.

Only worry for me is a closed face. I've done it before though.

I like the looks of these. I like the slightly closed look

Interesting that the "slot" appears much smaller than the RBZ lines. Seems like it would be less "hot" accross the entire face?

I think it looks great. Reminds me of the old 200 Smoothies which were and are fantastic.

Still love my XHP 17* but will pick up a 15* SLDR to mess around with. Thinking OBAN Kiyoshi GOLD for it :)

Back