TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

So ready to get back on the course tomorrow with my SpeedBlades!!! I wanted to play or at least hit the range this week, but time just didn't permit.

Currently testing the TaylorMade SpeedBlades for THP.

Really seems like TaylorMade and Cleveland are pulling away as far as GI irons on THP.

Played some awesome golf with these in hand today. Still getting used to alignment with hitting draws, but it's going well. Had some buddies hit some shots compared to their irons. They typically clubbed down and hit the Speed Blades without practice. While this may just be a fluke, they all said they'd like to hit them all the time. One buddy hit a 235 yard 4I over a green, right on target.

Hit em, loved em, bye bye r9's!

I wAs +10-12 yards on each club I hit - 5-7. Even hit the 6 iron further than I've ever hit a 6i...185yds.

That's enough for me to jump all over them. Take my money tm, just take it all!

disclaimer: this was on gg launch monitor.

Last edited:
What everyone thought on turf interaction? I am more of a picker and don't take much of a divot at all. Do these pose any problems in that regard? How are they from the rough? Much distance loss or any struggles getting out?

I pick the ball as well. My misses are due to the fact that I'm not very good at golf, not the club, lol. These clubs are are really good for those of us who pick the ball. Being more forgiving on the bottom and still getting the ball up in the air is what these clubs are all about. As a person who pics, if you are a little thin on the hit, this will help you a lot. I've not had any problems hitting these clubs out of the rough at all. As a matter of fact these clubs have given me enough confidence in them that I have made several shots out of the rough and over trouble that I would not try with my other clubs. With the added loft and steeper decent, even if you are in the rough with these, you don't need to generate a lot of back spin to hold a green on an approach shot. Most times when hitting other clubs out of the rough, the ball will hit and release, but I'm holding the green really well with these. And with my drives, I'm playing out of the rough a lot. SLDR will probably be my next purchase, I'm hitting it really well.

What everyone thought on turf interaction? I am more of a picker and don't take much of a divot at all. Do these pose any problems in that regard? How are they from the rough? Much distance loss or any struggles getting out?

Like Brons, I am also a picker and don't really take a divot and they work great for me. If you hit it slightly thin as often as I do, you really appreciate the forgiveness low on the face of these clubs. Go try them out on the range and see for yourself, that is the best way to see if they work well for you!

I'm in th the market for a new set of clubs, my current set are Callaway X12s, have had them for about 12 years. I have always liked them, but being they are dated on technology, I decided it is time to start looking. I have friends who swear by TM and Titleist, and I have been leaning towards TM for quite some time. I have read through this whole thread and i am liking what i am hearing with these SBs. I am more of a picker and very seldom leave a divot, and when I do. I have hit it very fat. I am going to hit a few different brands when the time comes, I probably won't buy until next year around this time as I will be deployed next summer. I think have a set of clubs fitted to me and that are somewhat forgiving should help improve my game. I already hit the ball very high, so this concerns me a little bit with the SBs. But if i can gain some distance and better accuracy, I'm game. I have been working on my swing all summer and it has come a long way. Just sux the season is almost done for us here.

For those of you who who hit the range regularly, do you guys hit off the mats or the turf? Most of our ranges here have mats, and I really hate that since they don't give u a true feel of the club when u hit. It makes more of a picker I do believe.

I'm in th the market for a new set of clubs, my current set are Callaway X12s, have had them for about 12 years. I have always liked them, but being they are dated on technology, I decided it is time to start looking. I have friends who swear by TM and Titleist, and I have been leaning towards TM for quite some time. I have read through this whole thread and i am liking what i am hearing with these SBs. I am more of a picker and very seldom leave a divot, and when I do. I have hit it very fat. I am going to hit a few different brands when the time comes, I probably won't buy until next year around this time as I will be deployed next summer. I think have a set of clubs fitted to me and that are somewhat forgiving should help improve my game. I already hit the ball very high, so this concerns me a little bit with the SBs. But if i can gain some distance and better accuracy, I'm game. I have been working on my swing all summer and it has come a long way. Just sux the season is almost done for us here.

For those of you who who hit the range regularly, do you guys hit off the mats or the turf? Most of our ranges here have mats, and I really hate that since they don't give u a true feel of the club when u hit. It makes more of a picker I do believe.

Here in Kansas City you can find ranges to hit off of grass or off of mats and many have both so you can pick your poison. I prefer to hit off of turf when I can though. If I'm working on my tee shots, then I don't care.

Trust me, you will not be disappointed with these clubs at all. You're already on the right mindset for whatever you decide to do. Go get fit. For what you are going to invest in a new set of irons, it is worth it.

Don't hit on mats, period.

I put the 6 iron iron through the paces on the range and course today. More continued solid results. No doubt it is improved from the Rocketbladez in sound, forgiveness, dispersion, and yes even distance. I'm carrying this iron 12 yards further then my G25 6 iron. The major difference if unbelievable forgiveness low on the face.

I'm going in on a set when they hit the market.

I put the 6 iron iron through the paces on the range and course today. More continued solid results. No doubt it is improved from the Rocketbladez in sound, forgiveness, dispersion, and yes even distance. I'm carrying this iron 12 yards further then my G25 6 iron. The major difference if unbelievable forgiveness low on the face.

I'm going in on a set when they hit the market.

What's your SS? If you don't mind me asking.

12 yds longer than the G25 wow I thought the G25's were long when I hit those.

I tend to be a picker as well. I have no problem in that regard. I find that the clubs perform well with or without a diviot. IN my experiance they are pretty forgiving out of the rough as well and when struck well the distance is pretty satisfying.

Played the Frog yesterday with some fellow THPers and was able to get a lot more swings in with the SpeedBlades than in my last round (a scramble). As usual to me I did not score well, but I struck the ball pretty well most of the day. There were a few shots that really stood out. One was a 7 iron out the bermuda rough. The ball was setting up a bit so I was able to get a good swing on the ball and it was probably the best 7 irons I have ever had out of the rough. It probably went about 150 yards with a nice toll out. That is long for me with a 7 iron from the rough. Heck, it is long for a 7 iron from the middle of the fariway. Another shot that really stood out was a pitching wedge that I had from about 115 yards to the front of the green on #14. With my previous clubs that would have been a 9 iron, but the shot was from the fairway and I felt like if it didn't make the green it would be straight forward chip. I hit if flush and it landed on the front of the green and only rolled out approx. 8 feet. The green were really receptive, but with that said I ALWAYS have trouble stopping the ball on the green and this one checked up nicely. It still left me about 20 feet below the cup for my bridie putt (which I made for a change :banana:). Just knowing that I can actually land the ball and not have it roll out 30 feet or more is going to give me a lot more confidence when playing. I had several more shots with my short irons that landed softly and held the green as well. Very pleased!!!

The Awesome Wedge as it has been referred to that: Well I have strugged at times with it, but not due to the club. The club is so sweet when struck that I keep lifting my dadgum head to see the shot. FAIL!!! With that said, I hit some very nice shots with it and love the trejectory and how soft it lands. It is an awesome wedge.

There has been a lot of discussion about that 4 iron as well. I can not add to that discussion as I can not hit the club to save my life. I actually left it at home this trip as I struggled with it so much the last few times I have swung. It is not the club though. It is me. I have always have struggled with long irons. I am going to hit the range with it and keep trying to fiqure out how to make good contact with it as I know that the club will perform when swung by someone that knows how to do so.

Overall I remain very happy with the forgivness and the distance I am getting with these clubs. I just need to put decent swings on the ball and the club performs exceptionally well when I do.

LOL at don't hit off mats period. Good luck with that.

Just got back from playing Mountain View in Santa Paula. Shot a new PB of 82, 12 over! As I get more acclimated with distance and learn to control these a little more, they are turning out perfect for me. I still struggle hitting the 4 iron a bit though, can't seem to get it off the ground and straight, lots of hooks, which is strange because my previous 4 was one of my favorite clubs.

The course only played 5600 yards from the champions tees, so I left the driver in the bag most of the day. Kept hitting the 5 off the tee, and it was working wonders. I hit a nice draw on most of the longer clubs and the scoring irons were just that today, on the money. I was playing pretty well so I started pin hunting and it worked out for me, only got in trouble short once with a front pin location. I tend to straighten out my back through my swing a bit, picking up the club through the downswing which causes me to hit pretty low on the face, but more often then not, it has very little effect on ball flight or distance.

I can feel the 70s coming, I'm so close. I have no doubt that these irons will have me shooting low numbers very soon.

Just got back from playing Mountain View in Santa Paula. Shot a new PB of 82, 12 over! As I get more acclimated with distance and learn to control these a little more, they are turning out perfect for me. I still struggle hitting the 4 iron a bit though, can't seem to get it off the ground and straight, lots of hooks, which is strange because my previous 4 was one of my favorite clubs.

The course only played 5600 yards from the champions tees, so I left the driver in the bag most of the day. Kept hitting the 5 off the tee, and it was working wonders. I hit a nice draw on most of the longer clubs and the scoring irons were just that today, on the money. I was playing pretty well so I started pin hunting and it worked out for me, only got in trouble short once with a front pin location. I tend to straighten out my back through my swing a bit, picking up the club through the downswing which causes me to hit pretty low on the face, but more often then not, it has very little effect on ball flight or distance.

I can feel the 70s coming, I'm so close. I have no doubt that these irons will have me shooting low numbers very soon.

Congrats on the PB and glad to see your are seeing that your able to control these well

Awesome round buddy! Did you have your clubs adjusted? Or are you still playing standard?

Congrats on the PB!!!

Currently testing the TaylorMade SpeedBlades for THP.

So many thoughts on these irons from this weekend. They just work. Will get a full write up on them soon.

Possibly the first victory for them?

So many thoughts on these irons from this weekend. They just work. Will get a full write up on them soon.

I bet they work alright. Congrats

Seeing those scores from the Bridgestone Invitational I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on these.

gyva7a9e.jpg
4 iron from 195 out.
baje7eny.jpg

5 iron from about 180.
y7y8azab.jpg

Another 5 iron. Just amazed how these long irons hit the greens and hold and even back up about a foot or so. I'm loving these long irons.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

LOL at don't hit off mats period. Good luck with that.

It's possible. Very zip code dependent.

Really liking the reviews. I really want to try these irons, particularly the longer irons. The distance numbers are astounding.

Back