TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Congrats on the new irons Dave and welcome to THP.

I just picked up a set of 5-PW Speedblades from Global Golf with KBS tour 90's in stiff for a great price, they showed up this weekend and they look brand new! Hoping to get out later today or tomorrow to give them my first swings.

Nice pick ups guys. Looking forward to your thoughts!

You guys will very much enjoy them. I'm still loving mine at the moment and don't see myself switching anytime soon. Congrats on the pickup

By far the best decision I've made on irons. I still absolutely love mine. Nice choices guys!

Had my first round with the Speedblades today and came away very impressed, 2 shots to within 3 feet for birdies, lots of really solid ball striking. They seem to be at least a half club longer for me than the Altitudes.

Can't wait to get back out there.

Had my first round with the Speedblades today and came away very impressed, 2 shots to within 3 feet for birdies, lots of really solid ball striking. They seem to be at least a half club longer for me than the Altitudes.

Definitely a fun club with enough distance and forgiveness. I couldn't get over the sound/feel at impact, but adored the 6i I had in the bag for a while. I've yet to hit a 6iron that far again.

Good luck and looking forward to more thoughts.

I love them. Yes, in the long irons the sound is a little different still, but nothing as bad as the rocketbladez were. Best irons TM has put out, STILL.

I love them. Yes, in the long irons the sound is a little different still, but nothing as bad as the rocketbladez were. Best irons TM has put out, STILL.
The tech just works. I can't remember the number of shots I've hit low on the face that still get high and as far as I needed them to.

I just picked up a set of 5-PW Speedblades from Global Golf with KBS tour 90's in stiff for a great price, they showed up this weekend and they look brand new! Hoping to get out later today or tomorrow to give them my first swings.

Should be hitting some high bombs with the 90s in these! I'm still amazed at how easy these elevate the ball with the CTLs in them. So happy with my choice.

The sound is a little different. Was off-putting a little at first, but once you get used to it it's no big deal. First time I heard it I thought I missed, then I looked up to see my ball sailing down range.

Distances are starting to shake out pretty good. Seeing about a half club right more than my old i20s still. Pretty happy with the 4I so far. Killing it off the tee and actually hitting some solid shots off the deck with it too. If you had asked me last year I would have laughed off carrying a 4I but right now it's looking like it's got a solid spot in my bag.

Glad to hear man. It took a couple rounds for me to get the distances dialed in over my old old burners but the adjustment will come easy. Such a solid iron set!

Definitely a fun club with enough distance and forgiveness. I couldn't get over the sound/feel at impact, but adored the 6i I had in the bag for a while. I've yet to hit a 6iron that far again.

Good luck and looking forward to more thoughts.

The sound is definitely different, and longer irons do have a muted feel when you hit them, but damn the bar gets up and just sails!! I had a couple of shots fly greens yesterday because I was 1/2 to a full club longer.

Going to try and get back out later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sound is definitely different, and longer irons do have a muted feel when you hit them, but damn the bar gets up and just sails!! I had a couple of shots fly greens yesterday because I was 1/2 to a full club longer.

Going to try and get back out later today.

Same thing I saw. Two shots I remember the most

1. We were at Wildcat #11 I hit 6i from 180 or so and immediately asked you where it went, you said on the green. Felt like I was going to come up short.

2. I was at Kingwood CC with Jank and hit 6i on a par three that was playing 223 that day. I hit my tee shot thinking I'll be short and chip up, it landed on the green leaving about 25 feet or so for birdie.

Both times the ball felt the exact same way off the face. Just couldn't tell if I hit it well or not. Now it's a good problem to have, but mentally I couldn't get over it.

I'll be playing my first round with these in a few more days and hopefully the maiden voyage will be the same as my range results. Anything 90-95 will make me happy, but if I break 90 I'll be driving the SB bus... 83 is my career best, but playing a long course in NH (Passaconaway) so that's probably unrealistic. I'll report back with results!

Just wanted to put in another good word for Global Golf on these clubs. I bought a set of what they called mint condition 4-aw Speedbaldes, came yesterday. Clubs are brand new, all heads were still in the factory plastic, no scratches, dings or dents (I will take care of that soon :)). Saved $150-200. Going to range after work today.

Played my first round with these yesterday and they did not dissapoint. Shot a 91 which is right in my wheelhouse, could have easily been 3-4 strokes better if I didn't get the yips with the putter after missing a couple of 3 footers. I hit many better than average shots with these, but the short approach irons really stood out. Great chips and pitches from 60 yards in, and full shots with the AW. All irons were very straight even on mishits, and they inspired confidence. Overall I'm extremely happy and I think I got the perfect set for my game.

Played my first round with the Sblades this weekend. Was having some problems with my back (spasms) during the round so had some ugly holes but when I hit the Sblades right they really performed. Had one 8 iron into a par3 of about 155 and hit the ball off the toe and it still carried almost 150 and right on line. 18th hole was about 165 par3, hit a beautiful 7 iron high and soft and the ball held the recently punched and hard green.

I see that the general consensus is good gapping between clubs, but has anyone had bad "gapping"? I'm gonna take these to my club fitter friend to check the lofts.
I have a pretty smooth repeatable swing. My SS is 95mph and I'm consistently getting: 80-85 SW, 105 GW, 115-120 PW, 130 9ir, 150 8ir, 160 7ir....

The 20+ yards between the SW and GW, as well as the 9 to 8iron concern me. Has anyone else seen this? I hope it's just that the lofts on my specific sticks are just "off"

Nice to hear this. I have mint Speedblades from Global on the way. Come on Friday. Dave

Just wanted to put in another good word for Global Golf on these clubs. I bought a set of what they called mint condition 4-aw Speedbaldes, came yesterday. Clubs are brand new, all heads were still in the factory plastic, no scratches, dings or dents (I will take care of that soon :)). Saved $150-200. Going to range after work today.

I see that the general consensus is good gapping between clubs, but has anyone had bad "gapping"? I'm gonna take these to my club fitter friend to check the lofts.
I have a pretty smooth repeatable swing. My SS is 95mph and I'm consistently getting: 80-85 SW, 105 GW, 115-120 PW, 130 9ir, 150 8ir, 160 7ir....

The 20+ yards between the SW and GW, as well as the 9 to 8iron concern me. Has anyone else seen this? I hope it's just that the lofts on my specific sticks are just "off"

My buddy has SpeedBlades and I've hit them a few times. I can tell you that the 4 - 7 irons are all pretty consistent. But when you get down to the 8, 9 and PW, the ball just seems to explode off the face. With his PW, I was all over the place with distance.

Good Galaxy sent me a nice little impact tape to promote the Rs1/2. I hit about 10 shots with the tape. All pretty solid and tight patter on face. I love the SBs! No need to upgrade for me at this point.
2c64764255ce1a479adb98b81676c765.jpg

I'm a high handicap guy, a pretty far cry from a 4.2 handicap, but personally I have not seen a larger distance gap issue on well struck shots. I hit my PW and 9i similar distances, but I don't get as much distance out of the 8i as you are seeing.

I have not hit many full SW or LW shots.

Dave

Keep in mind, 'jumpers' are likely just truly pure center mass strikes. I know it ruffles some feathers, but its true, we think we hit dead nut center more than we actually do. In all my years and testing, I've seen one set actually have the much fabled jumpers, and it wasn't this one. Gamed these a long time, fantastic irons.

The Speedblades got here a day early and I got to play 9 holes in a howling wind. Couldn't judge distances too well with wind but the feel is great. Definitely like them better than the G20s they replaced. As was mentioned before, excellent condition from Global Golf means still in the shrinkwrap and unhit. I like it a lot. Dave

I just got a set of Speedblades today (4-AW) regular, steel (stock), 1.5 degree up and was only able to hit them for about an hour at the range but WOW! I can't believe how high and far these irons were launching range balls. I discovered that if I slowed my tempo down and just made a smooth transition, I got better results. I was hitting into very strong winds during some rain showers so I can't really put an accurate number on the distance, but it was definitely longer and higher than I was used to. I can't wait to take these to the course, but can already tell I'm going to have to make some adjustments on my club selection.
In the short time I hit them on the range, I was really impressed. If I had to nick pick something I didn't like, it would be the stock grips, but that is an easy fix.
Happy Camper!

Back