TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Does a CB 7 = another iron's 6?

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I get it, you really like traditional lofted clubs and have a problem with strong lofting. Others dont. Its what makes this place great, is there are choices. But like I said, I think I hit the ball pretty well and still like having what I consider a scoring iron in my hand.

Hey Im all for playing what works for you. Like I said in the Mashie thread, the VR worked better for me and people jumped in with "We had 50 testers and no one found that". I realize people get feisty when you tell them their 8i is a 7i, which is why I deleted it in the first place.

Redbird I am not getting feisty with you and I appreciate your opinion. I for one am a mental midget. I am all about confidence. Putting an 8 on the bottom of the 7 iron puts my mind in a more comfortable spot and therefore I will be more confident over the shot. I know my irons are stronger lofted irons. But when I am on the course and playing I am not thinking about that. I am thinking that I should get the ball close because I have what I consider to be an easier club to hit.

Hey Im all for playing what works for you. Like I said in the Mashie thread, the VR worked better for me and people jumped in with "We had 50 testers and no one found that". I realize people get feisty when you tell them their 8i is a 7i, which is why I deleted it in the first place.

No, my 8 iron is an 8 iron. So is yours. Lofts dont have to match. My driver is 10.5 and someone elses might be 8.5 but they are both still drivers. It says so on the bottom.

Then what is it? I'm genuinely curious why you care why someone like me prefers stronger lofted irons.

Not that this should be taking place in this thread or anything but I can't help it.

i don't care, but to say that i'd much rather hit a 8i than a 7i and that it's easier when they're both 35* and within a 1/4 to 1/2inch of each other doesn't make much sense to me.

I can see where everyone is coming from, and everyone has that threshold of 6 or 7 or 8-pw as being their most comfortable. Its different for everyone, and maybe someone who is comfortable in 6-pw traditional would only be comfortable in 7-pw in a newer set due to the lofts?

Some people trust that threshold based on what the club is numbered, and some dont. Its all different for everyone, and thats the best part about golf.

Redbird I am not getting feisty with you and I appreciate your opinion. I for one am a mental midget. I am all about confidence. Putting an 8 on the bottom of the 7 iron puts my mind in a more comfortable spot and therefore I will be more confident over the shot. I know my irons are stronger lofted irons. But when I am on the course and playing I am not thinking about that. I am thinking that I should get the ball close because I have what I consider to be an easier club to hit.

And I'm totally fine with that. Performance wise the two clubs should be the same, if having an 8 on the bottom instead of a 7 helps you put a better swing on the ball, have at it and hit'em straight.

1/2" is a pretty big deal when you are talking about hitting a dime sized spot on a club at high speeds don't you think?

Every club has the same sized sweet spot, its the area that reacts more similar to the sweet spot that really matters(thanks to perimiter weighting and new metals and new casting processes).

1/2" is a pretty big deal when you are talking about hitting a dime sized spot on a club at high speeds don't you think?

i don't care, but to say that i'd much rather hit a 8i than a 7i and that it's easier when they're both 35* and within a 1/4 to 1/2inch of each other doesn't make much sense to me.

Sure it does. That 1/4 or 1/2 difference in shaft length makes a significant difference in lateral movement of a golf ball over 150-170 yards of distance. Scoring irons are always "straighter" than mid and long irons, so if I can hit my burner 2.0 8 irons 160 yards, I'll take the forgiveness and accuracy from them by having a shorter shaft. You are arguing against science and physics, not forum members.

Every club has the same sized sweet spot, its the area that reacts more similar to the sweet spot that really matters(thanks to perimiter weighting and new metals and new casting processes).

I don't understand what you mean by that Thainer. I know they all have the same sweet spot. I am saying it's easier to hit the sweet spot with a shorter club. Am I wrong?

The ironic part of this whole thing is that we are having it in the CB thread. They have stronger lofts that many irons out there.

The ironic part of this whole thing is that we are having it in the CB thread. They have stronger lofts that many irons out there.

Yes they do Razr, yes they do. Oh well. I don't know why it's taking place here but it is.

Sure it does. That 1/4 or 1/2 difference in shaft length makes a significant difference in lateral movement of a golf ball over 150-170 yards of distance. Scoring irons are always "straighter" than mid and long irons, so if I can hit my burner 2.0 8 irons 160 yards, I'll take the forgiveness and accuracy from them by having a shorter shaft. You are arguing against science and physics, not forum members.

So 1/4' makes a significant difference in lateral movement of a golf ball over 150-170yds but 4deg less loft doesn't? Didn't you just say earlier there is less lateral movement in the scoring irons?

For the record, I like the CB's better than the S3's for my swing. I just said the S3's were longer because they are.

So 1/4' makes a significant difference in lateral movement of a golf ball over 150-170yds but 4deg less loft doesn't? Didn't you just say earlier there is less lateral movement in the scoring irons?

Again, you are forgetting CG. A lower cg iron is going to launch the ball higher, which means that you don't need as much loft.

The sweet spot (as far as I have learned) is the point where a clubhead will balance on a pin. So therefore, all the clubs have the same sized sweet spot--- its balancing point.

But if I am wrong someone please correct me.
I don't understand what you mean by that Thainer. I know they all have the same sweet spot. I am saying it's easier to hit the sweet spot with a shorter club. Am I wrong?

but a club becomes more forgiving than another is when the area outside the sweetspot reacts more like the sweet spot than the other

Again, you are forgetting CG. A lower cg iron is going to launch the ball higher, which means that you don't need as much loft.

Thank you Hawk.

This conversation will just go in circles, it always does. Personally, I prefer the extra distance, but that's just me.

Great observation hawk, not mention you can pair a high launching shaft with a lower loft to get a little more mileage as well.

Yes I get that, and it also has alot to do and even more so with how far that COG is moved away from the face as it pertains to launch. I understand that if you lower the COG and/or move it away from the face, you have to reduce loft or else launch and spin rate will sky rocket. It's not a matter that you simply don't need the extra loft, it's a matter of you can't have it.

Listen, I know this is a topic that can go in circles and there's probably a better place. It's simply a difference of opinion. There are some that accept an iron or any club for that matter for the number that's stamped on the bottom, regardless. Then there are some that will never accept a PW at 42-44*.

Which is comical in itself because those same people have no issues with a 13* 3 wood, a longer shafted driver and 3 wood and lower lofted drivers. The truth is that these same people want to play blades and players cavitys that are usually not strong lofted. And because of that do not like to have people hit a 7 iron longer because they are immediately quick to point out that its not a 7 iron. Well what happens when you run out of irons? I still hit my 4 iron or 3 iron further then my old 3 iron and the traditional lofted are out of irons.

I just do not understand the fascinated with traditional lofted if it makes someone more confident to have a strong lofted club. You can say my 8 iron is a 7 iron, and I sir will call you a liar. It says 8 iron on the bottom. If you think that it has to be a 7 iron because the loft is what some consider normal for that number, then I say go back to hickory shafts, wooden drivers, and other aspects of the game that have changed due to technological advances. Lofts got dropped because weight was moved around FIRST, not because of a simple (you will hit it further) argument. Just like shafts got longer in drivers because of weight and head size, NOT because of a simple (you will hit it further) argument. Those are both things that came with the technology movement. And of course how offset affects the launch angle of the iron head is another whole side that I wont get into here because this is just not the place for it.

My playing a 45.5" driver and someone else playing a 44" driver is that like saying mine is a 1 + wood, because its longer and it was not the case before? I find the whole argument just crazy that because the lofts are stronger in a category of irons, it is not accepted as the number stamped on it. That is quite funny to me. But in the end, I try to get good information from some of the most well known club makers and when they explain that moving weight to increase forgiveness meant it HAD to be done in some irons, I accept that (especially when they are not selling any irons right now) as a technology advance just like lighter weight in drivers without losing balance, the graphite shaft, etc....

Yes I get that, and it also has alot to do and even more so with how far that COG is moved away from the face as it pertains to launch. I understand that if you lower the COG and/or move it away from the face, you have to reduce loft or else launch and spin rate will sky rocket. It's not a matter that you simply don't need the extra loft, it's a matter of you can't have it.

Listen, I know this is a topic that can go in circles and there's probably a better place. It's simply a difference of opinion. There are some that accept an iron or any club for that matter for the number that's stamped on the bottom, regardless. Then there are some that will never accept a PW at 42-44*.

Whew! Thank god mine is 45*, lol

I think JB sums this up the best. Redbird, I also want you to know that I completely respect your stance and I am glad that you are having this discussion in a civil manner. Up until about two years ago I wouldn't play anything that wasn't forged and anything that looked too beefy. From late 2006-2008 I had Nike's Forged CCi irons in my bag. I loved the way they looked, loved the way they felt, but I can tell you without a doubt that from 150 yards I was hitting a 7iron. When I transitioned into my X22's, which I don't really consider all jacked up in loft, yet still they had more than traditional players irons, I was shocked when I was hitting a smooth 8iron that distance. The accuracy I gained was tremendous. Personally, making that switch is what helped get my handicap to mid single digits and that transition alone.

Golf is a game of social credit, whether we like to admit it or not. There are those of us who won't be caught dead with a stand bag, those of us who don't invest in golf shoes, those of us that can't stand to look down at a thick topline with offset on an iron. It's just the way it is. We all preach about going and being fit for what's the best for us, yet I'd be willing to bet that over 90% of us truly don't hit everything there is b/c quite frankly, there's just some things that will never make it into any of our bags. An 8 iron is an 8 iron in your set just like it is in mine, at least imo.

Nice posts, guys.

So, I really like these irons and hope to get them on the course this weekend. Hoping for some good weather :)

Nice posts, guys.

So, I really like these irons and hope to get them on the course this weekend. Hoping for some good weather :)

I hope you can get them out there as well Hawk. They like being outdoors, ripping through fairways.

Back